Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a good detective crime series..

Options
  • 21-04-2021 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭

So, last night I finished Bron/Broen (The Bridge) - woooooowwww... wow wow wow.. I have no words.. the final episode was like a fine work of Art - thats the only way I can describe it.

But what to watch next?
    Is the American version any good?

Have watched a loved Line of Duty, Unforgotten, Prime Suspect, Happy Valley, Unbelievable..

Did not like, Luther, Marcella, The Fall, True Detective, The Wire, Bodyguard...

(Hate when you reach the end of a series you enjoy.. the benchmark is v high now).

Would appreciate recommendations based on the above.
    TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

sporina wrote: »
    So, last night I finished Bron/Broen (The Bridge) - woooooowwww... wow wow wow.. I have no words.. the final episode was like a fine work of Art - thats the only way I can describe it.

But what to watch next?

Have watched a loved Line of Duty, Unforgotten, Prime Suspect, Happy Valley, Unbelievable..

Did not like, Luther, Marcella, The Fall, True Detective, The Wire, Bodyguard...

(Hate when you reach the end of a series you enjoy.. the benchmark is v high now).

TIA

Cracker

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,063 ✭✭✭✭beertons

No to The Wire?

How about Bosch. Or Dirty John.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Occupied. Norwegian drama. If you thought the bridge was good.....

Deadwind.
    Finnish detective/murder show.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,008 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

So, last night I finished Bron/Broen (The Bridge) - woooooowwww... wow wow wow.. I have no words.. the final episode was like a fine work of Art - thats the only way I can describe it

Where did you watch this? I've seen the first two seasons and really want to get back and finish it but I couldn't find it anywhere. Excellent stuff. Series 2 seemed like a natural finishing point to the show but I'm interested to see what they've taken it from there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

Wallander
    Inspector Morse
    George Gently
    Forbrydelsen
    Taggart

The killing (forbryldesen, i think its called in the original)

State of play, the BBC series- short but absolutely top class

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Munsterbhoy

But what to watch next?

TIA

Did you watch the English version of the bridge called the tunnel, its excellent.
    + for bosch. Quite enjoyed 'no offense' as well. Watching an Australian drama on the iplayer at the mo called mystery road, decent so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭sporina

beertons wrote: »
    No to The Wire?

How about Bosch. Or Dirty John.

I couldn't get into The Wire... found the accents v strong.. hadn't a notion what was going on... and I found Dominic West's accent v fake and put on.. mind you - I only gave it 1 episode..
    Is it worth persevering with for a bit? I'm v cynical mind you..

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭LariToper

I couldn't get into The Wire... found the accents v strong.. hadn't a notion what was going on... and I found Dominic West's accent v fake and put on.. mind you - I only gave it 1 episode..

Prepare for this turn into a thread about how gerat the wire is. Took me 4 attempts to get into it, the fourth time it just clicked and I loved it. If you don't get into it after an episode or two, don't write it off, I'd recommend coming back and starting in a few months/years time. Its definitely one of the best shows ever made.

• Advertisement

The wire is the best police TV show ever made.
    And any police that have ever seen it agree

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

Also, Broadchurch, Life on Mars, and Shetland, as you seem to like the more sedate style

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭AlanG

I'm just re watching the Wire in HD and would strongly recommend sticking with it.
    Really is groundbreaking but each season is like an episode of any other cop show so some people may find it extremely slow moving but the flip side is that it develops the characters on all sides - cops, dealers, addicts, kids. Very few shootouts or Hollywood stuff and almost never a cliffhanger at the end of an episode so it wont be for everyone. Probably too realistic for many people in the way it lacks the good guys versus bad guys climax to the season.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

'The Wire' is rightly regarded as an all-time classic. It's not just a detective crime drama though as it touches on a lot of areas, such as social classes, education, etc. That's a large part of what makes it compelling as it takes a bigger view as to why the crime happens and the cycles it perpetuates.
    It's a slow burner so you'll need more than one episode - it's the opposite of a "crime-of-the-week" drama. No wire taps in fifteen minutes in this world.

Try Cardinal.

It's very likable. Have never heard anyone say that they didn't enjoy it. Set in Canada.

4 seasons of 6 episodes. One case per season like "The Bridge" with an ongoing story arc also.

6 normal length episodes per season is perfect - never drags.

All seasons on BBC iPlayer

Else check alternative sources.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭SparrowHawk

Prime Suspect

athlone573 wrote: »
    Also, Broadchurch, Life on Mars, and Shetland, as you seem to like the more sedate style

oh loved Broadchurch too.. tried Shetland.. thought it was boring.. might give it another go..

thanks for all the replies.. too many to quote..

Not see The Tunnel - might try that..

Cardinal also sounds good...

Shetland - watched 1 episode - found it a bit boring - might give it another shot..

Re: The Wire.. I appreciate all the comments about it and don't doubt its brilliance but perhaps its just not what I am looking for.. think I prefer a story line that has a clear cut beginning-end, 6-10 episodes..

Gee I am still astounded by Bron/Broen.. they way all the story lines linked up at the end.. wow.. and I thought that the final scene with Saga and Henrik was one of thee most romantic I have ever seen.. she had come such a long way.. wow on every level..

Ok - lots of trailers to watch tonight

The Tunnel is the British-French version of the Swedish-Danish "The Bridge" with the channel tunnel replacing the Øresund bridge.

there are 3 seasons

season 1 had the same story as "The Bridge" season 1

seasons 2 and 3 are shorter

it's not that great really, although I like Clémence Poésy as an actress.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Judge

Given you loved The Bridge, I'd echo the recommendations for the original Danish version of The Killing.

I'd also add the superb French cop show Spiral (Engrenages).

Other decent Scandi detective shows would be: Wallander (the Krister Henriksson version), Trapped (series 1 at least, not so much series 2) and Beck.

Since you liked Prime Suspect, Lynda la Plante's other crime show, Trial and Retribution, might be of interest.

If you can't get enough of bent coppers in Line of Duty, then Between The Lines, currently being repeated on BBC Four, is well worth your time.

Regarding Shetland, I wasn't mad about the earlier series but from series 3 it gets good, so maybe start from there (you don't need much knowledge of the previous series to enjoy).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Hinterland is similar to Shetland but set in Wales

Vera is a different story each episode, but well acted and the lead character is nice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭johnire

Unforgotten- an ITV drama is absolutely excellent. There are 4 seasons of it.

johnire wrote: »
    Unforgotten- an ITV drama is absolutely excellent. There are 4 seasons of it.

Loved it (see my 1st post).. such a pity there will be no more Cassie..

Drum roll.... just realised I've not seen Prime Suspect 1973 :D

So gonna watch that before I start anything else..

BTW can't seem to find Forbrydelsen on any of my go to streaming sites... grr..
    If anyone has any tips on how to watch it - i'd appreciate it..

• Registered Users Posts: 21,425 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Hinterland is similar to Shetland but set in Wales.
    Hidden is another Welsh one worth watching IMO.

bubblypop wrote: »
    The wire is the best police TV show ever made.
    And any police that have ever seen it agree

Southland for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,425 ✭✭✭✭Alun

If you're looking for this kind of thing, Walter Presents on All4 is a good source. The app works here without having to use a VPN, and you can cast it to Chromecast to watch on the TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Duvetdays

The missing and Baptiste. All English language with the tiniest bit of subtitles.

The first series of the missing is set in France with an English kid goes missing on holiday. The second series is in Germany on an English army base.

Baptiste is the detective who is the main character in the missing for some reason they called it Baptiste instead of series 3 of the missing and its set in Amsterdam.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Surprised it hasn't been mentioned already but check out Mindhunter, really enjoyed that, two seasons of 9-10 episodes.

Would second previous mentions of The Wire, Forbrydelsen (The Killing) and even the American remake which was surprisingly good also.

French TV series which hasn't been previously mentioned also, Zone Blanche (Black Spot), quite enjoyed that.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Duvetdays

Paranoid and collateral on Netflix are both decent enough particularly collateral. Cassie out of unforgotten is in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Life In Mars and Ashes to Ashes seem quite hammy on first glance but there’s serious drama in there too and well worth a chance.

Somebody said Cracker. Given your likes it will be right up your alley. Some fantastic stand alone arcs in the series.

Justified might be one yank show which you might like. More a “cop show” than a “crime show”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭johnire

Also Defending Jacob(Apple), Tehran (Apple)and Keeping Faith (BBC) are great.
    If you're into sub titled series then Walter Presents on All4 has loads are great quality series.
    As regards The Killing then an Amazon Firestick should become your new best friend! I bought one last year and it's the greatest thing ever!

Advertisement