Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sodastream

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,818 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Lucked out and got an old style can when i traded in my new style one in Harvey Norman, now have 2 old ones so once AJ Edge get their valves in stock ill be set finally

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭ec_pc

Very interesting thread, I have a Sodastream for fizzy water that we bought last year and now I have 4 cylinders as Argos can't do the Sodastream cylinder exchange due to some import issue from UK to the entire island of Ireland. I contacted Sodastream UK and the only option is to by another sodastream canister at €30 plus.

So, I have seen a lot of useful information on this thread but it's hard to follow at times.

Can anyone be so kind as to give me a list of items I would need in order to refill my own cylinders? I assume I need connectors, pipes, pressure gauges and a source of food safe Co2. Based in Kildare if it makes any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Selfheal

Great, quick way to get refills with Argos closed - www.mccauley.ie
    Good, quick, service too.

ec_pc wrote: »
    Very interesting thread, I have a Sodastream for fizzy water that we bought last year and now I have 4 cylinders as Argos can't do the Sodastream cylinder exchange due to some import issue from UK to the entire island of Ireland. I contacted Sodastream UK and the only option is to by another sodastream canister at €30 plus.

So, I have seen a lot of useful information on this thread but it's hard to follow at times.

Can anyone be so kind as to give me a list of items I would need in order to refill my own cylinders? I assume I need connectors, pipes, pressure gauges and a source of food safe Co2. Based in Kildare if it makes any difference.

Firstly Harvey Norman are doing trade ins so since you can travel in county now you could try their Naas store for one.

Secondly you don't need too much to refill your own, you need the can of Co2 and then an adapter to connect that to the sodastream can.

Theres a few different types but most on here have one of two i would say.

This is small a simple one and many on here have it too i believe

https://www.co2-adapter.com/adapter/

I have this one which is a bit bigger has a gauge and allows for vertical positioning of the sodastream can

https://www.co2supermarket.co.uk/sodastream-cylinder-refill-adapter-p520.html

Personally im waiting on AJ Edge in bray to have stock in to get my own Co2 can but others in the thread have mentioned other suppliers you can get one off as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭54and56

ec_pc wrote: »

If I was in your shoes with 4 Sodastream cylinders, and especially if getting refills meant a bit of time in the car, I'd probably invest in this bundle of 10kg cylinder and adapter - https://www.co2-adapter.de/produkt/co2-steigrohr-bundle-11-sodastream/ as it's twice the size of the 5kg cylinders you can get from AJ Edge so a refill would last twice as long.

The extra cost would be paid back in time and petrol saved traipsing to Bray (or wherever) for more frequent refills.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭wassie

Unfortunately that bundle is only available in Germany.

wassie wrote: »
    Unfortunately that bundle is only available in Germany.

Ah apologies, I put it into a cart last week with Dublin as the delivery address and it quoted me a delivery price etc so I assumed it would follow through for anyone wanting to buy one here.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭ec_pc

Selfheal wrote: »
    Great, quick way to get refills with Argos closed - www.mccauley.ie
    Good, quick, service too.

THanks, have bought a few from them, but its not an exchange.

VinLieger wrote: »

...I have this one which is a bit bigger has a gauge and allows for vertical positioning of the sodastream can

https://www.co2supermarket.co.uk/sodastream-cylinder-refill-adapter-p520.html

Im interested in this adapter also. Did you purchase it this year (i.e. Post-Brexit) - asking as Im trying to work out what the final cost would be in terms of VAT and admin charges potentially?

Thanks

Im interested in this adapter also. Did you purchase it this year (i.e. Post-Brexit) - asking as Im trying to work out what the final cost would be in terms of VAT and admin charges potentially?

Thanks

Yup i got it first week of Jan its under the cap for any vat charges or other issues so you should be grand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

so this time I have taken a punt on this fella - will report back

Adapter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭crazyderk

RobAMerc wrote: »
    so this time I have taken a punt on this fella - will report back

Adapter

I'm waiting for you to find success so I can just follow your instructions. :D

Just read through this entire thread and there is some great advice. Kudos in particular to 54and56 to ...Ghost... for your instructive posts.

Now just awaiting for AJ Edge to get restocked!

Just read through this entire thread and there is some great advice. Kudos in particular to 54and56 to ...Ghost... for your instructive posts.

Now just awaiting for AJ Edge to get restocked!

Thanks Wassie, I haven't done anything worthy of speacial mention. I found and enefitted from this thread so just happy to contribute my experience.

These type of threads along with "Bargain" threads like YouTube Premium for less then $2 a month and forums where others with expertise (DIY, Bike Maintenance, Android Devices etc) share their knowledge and help other posters out have been a massive help to me over the years and the thing I enjoy most about Boards.

As it happens I ran out of CO2 yesterday so popped out to AJ Edge today for a refill and they couldn't have been better to deal with. Took the empty cylinder, refilled it with CO2 and gave it back to me within 3-4 minutes. €10 for the next 6 months worth of carbonated water. Happy days.

The lads at AJs have new valves in stock and even had a couple of bottles made up ready to go for 50 quid. Reminder for anyone looking to purchase same make sure you can pay in cash. My regulator & replacement valve also arrived by mail from CO2 supermarket - no issue with customs even with a declared value of ~£60 (Thanks @VinLieger) so all set to go.

The lads at AJs have new valves in stock and even had a couple of bottles made up ready to go for 50 quid. Reminder for anyone looking to purchase same make sure you can pay in cash. My regulator & replacement valve also arrived by mail from CO2 supermarket - no issue with customs even with a declared value of ~£60 (Thanks @VinLieger) so all set to go.

Nice ill take a trip down there tomorrow so

Don't forget to get the AJ Cylinder up to room temp for a few hours and place the sodastream canister in the freezer for a few hours before starting the fill as differential in temp creates the maximum vacuum (or some other chemistry / physics stuff my son tried and failed to explain to me) thus enabling the max fill up of the sodastream canister.

Also,

Wear gloves or use a tea towel unless you want blisters from holding a frozen sodastream canister and if you have a digital scales weigh the empty sodastream canister (should be circa 795g empty) and again after filling so you know how much CO2 you've been able to transfer. 1,250g is the max "full weight" I've been able to fill mine to meaning I got 455g of CO2 into the canister but that gradually reduces as the pressure from the AJ donation cylinder declines as it empties.

At max 450g per fill you should get 11 full refills out of the 5kg CO2 in the AJ Edge cylinder or 12/13 if the last 2-3 fills are less than full transfers.

Picked up a cylinder from AJ today. I got the wrong impression from this thread that they would include the adaptor that goes from the cylinder to the soda stream bottle and that's what they were waiting on but it must of been the adaptor thats connect to the actual bottle instead of say the hose that you aim to put out a fire.
    The guy recommended an adaptor from lew tech called "W21.8" So off I go to find a "W21.8" adaptor

crazyderk wrote: »
    Picked up a cylinder from AJ today. I got the wrong impression from this thread that they would include the adaptor that goes from the cylinder to the soda stream bottle and that's what they were waiting on but it must of been the adaptor thats connect to the actual bottle instead of say the hose that you aim to put out a fire.
    The guy recommended an adaptor from lew tech called "W21.8" So off I go to find a "W21.8" adaptor

There ya go.

54and56 wrote: »
    There ya go.

If you are willing to wait, mine should be arriving shortly and I can confirm its compatible both ends - my last one didnt

• Advertisement

RobAMerc wrote: »
    If you are willing to wait, mine should be arriving shortly and I can confirm its compatible both ends - my last one didnt

Yes, I'll hang on. The bottle from AJ is huge & I saw a video where you tip the AJ bottle upside down to refill the soda stream bottle. If that's the case I could see using this valve as being quite awkward.

Yes, I'll hang on. The bottle from AJ is huge & I saw a video where you tip the AJ bottle upside down to refill the soda stream bottle. If that's the case I could see using this valve as being quote awkward.

You can ask them to dip the cannister which means you dont need to turn it upside down

• Registered Users Posts: 28,752 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Did anyone get to confirm if Harvey Norman are doing canister exchanges / refills?

Did anyone get to confirm if Harvey Norman are doing canister exchanges / refills?

I got a call from Carrickmines yesterday that they are back in stock

Yes, I'll hang on. The bottle from AJ is huge & I saw a video where you tip the AJ bottle upside down to refill the soda stream bottle. If that's the case I could see using this valve as being quote awkward.

When I got mine I asked if it had a dip tube and they said it did. If it was one of the ones that was pre-made then it will most likely will be fine.

Anyone thinking of purchasing should remember to ask this.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,752 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

And are they are definitely doing exchanges, not charging the full price for a new canister?

When I got mine I asked if it had a dip tube and they said it did. If it was one of the ones that was pre-made then it will most likely will be fine.

Anyone thinking of purchasing should remember to ask this.

Got mine earlier and was only in the car on the way home when i realised i never asked about it being dipped. Wll be trying a fill later so will find out, if not im making a journey back to bray tomorrow.

And are they are definitely doing exchanges, not charging the full price for a new canister?

Yep they are deffinitely doing trade ins, i did one in carrickmines 2 weeks ago

They told me last time they sold their 32 allotment in 1 day. One lady bought 10 I believe.

Just filled my spare and all went great got 418g into it which im pretty happy with, just 1 more refill to go and ill be saving myself a lot of money

• Advertisement

VinLieger wrote: »
    Just filled my spare and all went great got 418g into it which im pretty happy with, just 1 more refill to go and ill be saving myself a lot of money

I've seen 410g listed as the "official" amount that's supposed to be in a refill so you're well ahead!!

Advertisement