Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sodastream

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭garrettod

Hi,

Has anyone used their sodastream to put some gas in their beer?

Home brewed beer, or beer that you take away from a brewery in a growler, can often be quite flat, so just wondering if this may be an option.

Thanks.

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,474 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Picked up my repurposed 5.46kg extinguisher cylinder with a new valve from Antifyre in Limerick this morning.

Very helpful, checked what I was going to be using it for and then went and to see if it had a dip tube as they'd remove it and refill if it did to be sure I had an easier time of refilling.

Total cost was €86 ( €70+VAT).

Delighted to finally be able to refill and may go with just hooking a hose between my Sodastream and bottle at this point :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭flesheatingbug

banie01 wrote: »
    Picked up my repurposed 5.46kg extinguisher cylinder with a new valve from Antifyre in Limerick this morning.

Very helpful, checked what I was going to be using it for and then went and to see if it had a dip tube as they'd remove it and refill if it did to be sure I had an easier time of refilling.

Total cost was €86 ( €70+VAT).

Delighted to finally be able to refill and may go with just hooking a hose between my Sodastream and bottle at this point :pac:

did you use the https://www.co2-adapter.com/ adapter with that or did you even need one?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 taramurf

Have bought CO2 adapter and was ready to try refilling at home - but when I rang AJ Edge a week ago they were out of stock. Apparently there is a valve shortage due to COVID - presumably hospitals need them for oxygen tanks etc. I rang Edges again today and they are still out of stock, but are hoping to get valve deliveries over the next few days. Does anyone know of any other CO2 stockists in the Dublin area?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭Raoul

taramurf wrote: »
    Have bought CO2 adapter and was ready to try refilling at home - but when I rang AJ Edge a week ago they were out of stock. Apparently there is a valve shortage due to COVID - presumably hospitals need them for oxygen tanks etc. I rang Edges again today and they are still out of stock, but are hoping to get valve deliveries over the next few days. Does anyone know of any other CO2 stockists in the Dublin area?

I was ringing too. He told me it was due to sodastream people to which I replied...I'm one of them too!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭flesheatingbug

i got one at https://www.iedepot.ie, it's collection only but it works with adapter at the https://www.co2-adapter.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 43 taramurf

i got one at https://www.iedepot.ie, it's collection only but it works with adapter at the https://www.co2-adapter.com/

Thanks but Galway is a bit far - I’m Dublin based!

did you use the https://www.co2-adapter.com/ adapter with that or did you even need one?

I bought a w21.8 to TR adapter from Aliexpress for @€;12 that is pretty much identical to the €49 one linked.
    Does the job so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭bambam

Could you add a link to the one you purchased? thx
    I bought a w21.8 to TR adapter from Aliexpress for @€;12 that is pretty much identical to the €49 one linked.
    Does the job so far.

bambam wrote: »
    Could you add a link to the one you purchased? thx

Plenty of options available, such as this.
    € 9,87 27%OFF | SodaStream Cylinder Refill Adapter with Switch for Refill Soda Stream co2 bottle Refill Adapter Bleed Valve TR21-4 to W21.8-14
    https://a.aliexpress.com/_dSVWOYJ

The issue with them, is the wait for delivery ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭comput1

Hi Everyone,

delighted to have found this thread, didn't see it a couple of years ago when I first searched sodastream refills. Looked at argos again and I'm sure it's gone from 15.99 per exchange up to something like "Great New Price €20.65" that's a shocking increase and I'd like to get out of the Argos game.

I have four 60L cylinders, one is in use at the moment, so three empty. Would anyone be willing to let me come to yours, see your setup, and fill them and give you the money to refill your big tank? That will give me breathing space to buy my valve and my tank and get my own setup done and then I'll be happy to show and help the next person...

If anyone is interested and anywhere near Dublin north will you please send me a private message?

thanks!

comput1 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,

delighted to have found this thread, didn't see it a couple of years ago when I first searched sodastream refills. Looked at argos again and I'm sure it's gone from 15.99 per exchange up to something like "Great New Price €20.65" that's a shocking increase and I'd like to get out of the Argos game.

I have four 60L cylinders, one is in use at the moment, so three empty. Would anyone be willing to let me come to yours, see your setup, and fill them and give you the money to refill your big tank? That will give me breathing space to buy my valve and my tank and get my own setup done and then I'll be happy to show and help the next person...

If anyone is interested and anywhere near Dublin north will you please send me a private message?

thanks!

Yeah, it has gone up recently. I'm waiting on the CO2 to come in to AJ Edge in Bray. I have my adapter bought. The last two containers I got from Argos have been the old ones, and the current one is running out now. So I will wait until I can get the CO2 there. If mine works then potentially I can sort that out for you.

I don't think the CO2 adapter took long to arrive btw.

Raoul wrote: »
    Yeah, it has gone up recently. I'm waiting on the CO2 to come in to AJ Edge in Bray. I have my adapter bought. The last two containers I got from Argos have been the old ones, and the current one is running out now. So I will wait until I can get the CO2 there. If mine works then potentially I can sort that out for you.

I don't think the CO2 adapter took long to arrive btw.

Ah thanks I'll order the valve now so. let me know how you get on.

Plenty of options available, such as this.
    € 9,87 27%OFF | SodaStream Cylinder Refill Adapter with Switch for Refill Soda Stream co2 bottle Refill Adapter Bleed Valve TR21-4 to W21.8-14
    https://a.aliexpress.com/_dSVWOYJ

The issue with them, is the wait for delivery ;)

There's an eu which seems to have flat rubber or plastic gaskets and a US one which seems to have rubber rounded gaskets... which is suitable does anyone know?

Not sure. I went with the one from this site:

https://www.co2-adapter.com

The amount to be saved for the refills kinda outweighs the cost of the adapter for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭54and56

Hi Everyone,

thanks!

That's a great idea, only issue is the cylinders to be refilled need to be frozen in order to take the max fill possible from the donor cylinder. The greater the difference in temperature between the donating and receiving cylinders the better. I put mine in the freezer overnight and bring the donation cylinder in from the cold shed to warm up in the airing cupboard overnight so both are ready to go next morning. It sounds a bit of a pain but if you're refilling 3 empty cylinders like I do it's worth the few minutes hassle as I end up 3-4 months worth of gas so only have to do it 3-4 times a year.

54and56 wrote: »
    That's a great idea, only issue is the cylinders to be refilled need to be frozen in order to take the max fill possible from the donor cylinder. The greater the difference in temperature between the donating and receiving cylinders the better. I put mine in the freezer overnight and bring the donation cylinder in from the cold shed to warm up in the airing cupboard overnight so both are ready to go next morning. It sounds a bit of a pain but if you're refilling 3 empty cylinders like I do it's worth the few minutes hassle as I end up 3-4 months worth of gas so only have to do it 3-4 times a year.

so I guess it would best to keep them in the freezer overnight then keep them in a coolbag and wrap them in ice while I transport them? And ideally find the closest person to me

How’s everyone doing? All still waiting on c02 deliveries?

AJ Edge in Bray had them back in stock last week. I got mine sorted and working with the adapter from the co2 website above.

Cheers everyone :)

so I guess it would best to keep them in the freezer overnight then keep them in a coolbag and wrap them in ice while I transport them? And ideally find the closest person to me

Yes

• Advertisement

anyone having a quiet weekend? Could I pop over to see your system and get a canister filled? will return the favour when I've mine set up.. thanks

anyone having a quiet weekend? Could I pop over to see your system and get a canister filled? will return the favour when I've mine set up.. thanks

Would've said yes but my donor cylinder just ran out.

As soon as I've refilled it in AJ Edge I'll let you know.

Could be a good deal for any Amazon Prime members looking for a Sodastrean machine. Reduced from £99 to £49.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MSZ58DO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_-N1HFbM81WATS

Available for the next 2 hours or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Aldi is offering a Sodastream on Sunday 18th October. €59.01.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭bambam

Another happy camper...

picked up an adaptor from https://www.co2-adapter.com/
    Then a 5KG CO2 cylinder (with dip tube) from AJ Edge in bray.

managed to fill 3 Sodastream cylinders with no hassle.
    Had them overnight in the freezer.
    managed to fill them from 750g -> 1200g. Same weight is exchanged form argos.

(2 of the sodastream bottles had the wide pin in the valve, these just needed to be started off slowly so the 'safety' feature didn't close.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 BFP1001

Hi, that's the one I bought too, but haven't had the courage to try it yet with my 5kg tank from AJ Edge.. It just seems so basic and so ... safety-valve-less .... have you refilled using it and any tips? (Aside from the usual temperature difference stuff :)
    Is the pressure of the larger tank so great that it could cause the small sodastream bottle to explode, if filled too quickly?
    Thanks.

BFP1001 wrote: »
    It just seems so basic and so ... safety-valve-less .... have you refilled using it and any tips? (Aside from the usual temperature difference stuff :)
    Is the pressure of the larger tank so great that it could cause the small sodastream bottle to explode, if filled too quickly?
    Thanks.

Haven't heard of any blowing up.

If the adaptor valve isn't well made what's likely to happen (in my unqualified opinion) is it will leak CO2 when you open the 5kg valve and if that happens you just close the 5kg valve again.

I’ve got the valve in the post too- just need to pick up a 5kg tank now. Did you phone AJedge in advance to have one ready or just walk in? Did he put the dip tube in so you don’t have to turn it upside down?

I was pretty nervous doing the first one to be honest. Just follow the instructions you get via email from the website and it is quite easy to be honest.

He can do the dip tube. You are better ringing in advance as he might not have one available.

• Advertisement

Raoul wrote: »
    I was pretty nervous doing the first one to be honest. Just follow the instructions you get via email from the website and it is quite easy to be honest.

He can do the dip tube. You are better ringing in advance as he might not have one available.
    Would you mind to PM me the email text as I’ve not got any instructions. Compressed gas- what could go wrong!

Advertisement