Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 3) Mod Notes and Threadbanned List in OP

Options

Comments

It's not the same thing. The fact that know the FG councillor well just demonstrates direct local knowledge about voting preferences. They don't canvas you because you've made it clear that you're not a potential supporter.

But this SF database is a Cambridge Analytica style operation where they are sneakily garnering private information through social media and holding it without peoples consent.

You’d also like to know if the database allowed for free text to be entered about voters - ‘interested in housing’, ‘nobody home’, ‘dangerous dog’, ‘pregnant’, ‘actually dead’ etc. And, if all party activists had access to the entirety of the database.

I’ll wait for a month to find out I suppose like all the other concerned citizens who have put in requests.

Be also interesting to find out why they went with a small hoster like Linode instead of using a service based in Ireland like Microsoft Azure or Amazon Web Services.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,353 ✭✭✭jmcc

Be also interesting to find out why they went with a small hoster like Linode instead of using a service based in Ireland like Microsoft Azure or Amazon Web Services.
    Linode isn't a small hoster. Azure and AWS are not based in Ireland. They have Irish operations.

Regards...jmcc

jmcc wrote: »
    Linode isn't a small hoster. Azure and AWS are not based in Ireland. They have Irish operations.

Regards...jmcc

AWS and Azure both have substantial data centres here in Ireland. Linode are not small, but we're not exactly talking top tier either, dude. Talking privately owned, couple of hundred employees max, less than 100 mill in turnover per year. Have a single EU location - Frankfurt. As I said, probably nothing. They do host the SF website as well, so probably just using the same account for everything.

AWS and Azure both have substantial data centres here in Ireland. Linode are not small, but we're not exactly talking top tier either, dude. Talking privately owned, couple of hundred employees max, less than 100 mill in turnover per year. Have a single EU location - Frankfurt. As I said, probably nothing. They do host the SF website as well, so probably just using the same account for everything.
    You just looked up the Wikipedia entry for Linode in an attempt to make it look like you have a clue about webhosting and the major players in the business. I don't think that you do. ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linode ). FG is using one of the same services that SF uses for its website.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement

You just looked up the Wikipedia entry for Linode in an attempt to make it look like you have a clue about webhosting and the major players in the business. I don't think that you do. ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linode ). FG is using one of the same services that SF uses for its website.

Regards...jmcc

I wouldn’t be an information super highway guru like yourself, dude. Handy enough with the old computers though. Know my MX Records from my ripe.net from my historical DNS records and all that sort of thing. It’s not exactly rocket science tbh.

I know what Cloudflare is, dude. I suppose I've put together enough knowledge this afternoon to find out the real IP address and hosting provider behind a Cloudflare proxy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 919 ✭✭✭wicklowstevo

https://twitter.com/swgannon/status/1383717905800470533

imagine some one claiming to be a historian posting that ??

it wasn't you of you guy was it ? :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 67,250 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

https://twitter.com/swgannon/status/1383717905800470533

imagine some one claiming to be a historian posting that ??

it wasn't you of you guy was it ? :-)

Had to giggle at how spot on this one was:
    Fine Gael founded by a Facisist and spun out of fascist militants were founded 12 years after Collins death. They have about as much of a claim him as the Royal Mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

You don't seem to have a clue about what Cambridge Analytica did.

What SF did is quite different and the electoral register is available to all political parties. FF even bought a copy of the register indicating who voted.

Regards...jmcc

I work in IT and know exactly what CA did. What you don't seem to understand is that SF is collecting information for peoples social media without consent for example and incorporating it into a database that includes the electoral register.

They're just not as efficient as CA was about it.

The byline seems be that of John Drennan.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement

I work in IT and know exactly what CA did.
    Go ahead and explain it for all the people who do not understand.

Regards...jmcc

Deflection squad is out in force

Be very interesting to see what SF come back with in a month, and what they arent able to cover up or delete in that time

Deflection squad is out in force

Be very interesting to see what SF come back with in a month, and what they arent able to cover up or delete in that time

:D Who is deflecting?

:D Who is deflecting?
    FGers, naturally. They've been in deflection mode ever since The Village Magazine broke the story about Varadkar leaking a confidential document to his friend. The SF electoral register database is another deflection from Varadkar and his friend O'Toole having been interviewed by the Gardai.

Now we see A. Phibes above pretending to know about the hosting business and the market shares of its main players while he/she clearly does not. Then we see ridiculous attempts to claim that what SF did was on the same level as Cambridge Analytica.

Regards...jmcc

I see Mary Lou has apologised for the IRA blowing up Mountbatten and those kids. What do people think? Extending the olive branch, or a disgrace to the legacy of physical force Republicanism?

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭costacorta

I see Mary Lou has apologised for the IRA blowing up Mountbatten and those kids. What do people think? Extending the olive branch, or a disgrace to the legacy of physical force Republicanism?

Hope she ran it by Stanley first , Remember him ? Seems to have disappeared?.

Just a reiteration of stuff she said before about the conflict/war. She has said she wished it hadn't happened. Don't we all?

"I can say of course I am sorry that happened. Of course, that is heartbreaking. My job, and I think that Prince Charles and others would absolutely appreciate this, my job is to lead from the front, now, in these times."

hardy an apology ,
    same mealy mouthed response you'd expect to a questions she was prepped for

no mention of the innocent children deemed acceptable losses either

"I can say of course I am sorry that happened. Of course, that is heartbreaking. My job, and I think that Prince Charles and others would absolutely appreciate this, my job is to lead from the front, now, in these times."

hardy an apology ,
    same mealy mouthed response you'd expect to a questions she was prepped for

no mention of the innocent children deemed acceptable losses either

It's time the Head of the British Armed Forces addressed that alright. Anywhere in the world they did it for that matter.

It's time the Head of the British Armed Forces addressed that alright. Anywhere in the world they did it for that matter.

what is this thread about francie ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

The wondrous adventures of anyone but Sinn Fein :)

Sinn Fein Stevo. Who didn't kill any children that I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Sinn Fein, the 'Euro Giant' of the political world.

Cheap & very popular in certain circles, everything's nearly free but plastic & hollow. You get what you asked for even if it's crap. SF are all bark and no bite, (not allowed to bite anymore), all noise & soundbites "Up the Ra", brazen and shiny and in your face, thank you Mary Lou ... not.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭NovemberWren

But this SF database is a Cambridge Analytica style operation where they are sneakily garnering private information through social media and holding it without peoples consent.

It's downright sinister. They access all social media that someone accesses.

SF accessed my place at one time and the books I had suddenly were being quoted to me.

SF - the 'Lookey-Likey' party. They are seriously psychologically damaged, always aping someone else's trope.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭piplip87

I'd say Republician Sinn Fein has gained quite a few members this week. Condolences expressed to the Royal Family and now an apology of sorts for the death of Mountbatten.

Fair play to Marylou she really does seem to what to heal the divide. Still the economic policy, the countless objections to social housing and the policy differences between SF ROI branch and SF UK branch means I could never vote for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭RandomName2

piplip87 wrote: »
    I'd say Republician Sinn Fein has gained quite a few members this week. Condolences expressed to the Royal Family and now an apology of sorts for the death of Mountbatten.

But with only a single councilor to their name I doubt they're going to make much of an impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,049 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

You don't seem to have a clue about what Cambridge Analytica did.

What SF did is quite different and the electoral register is available to all political parties. FF even bought a copy of the register indicating who voted.

Regards...jmcc

You are right, it's worse and blatant breach of GDPR.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Fine Gael founded by a Facisist and spun out of fascist militants were founded 12 years after Collins death. They have about as much of a claim him as the Royal Mail.

Eoin ODuffy and the fascist element were ****ed out a year after fine gael were formed, when the extent of his fascist connections were discovered. Has no bearing on the current party

Michael Collins shouldn't be associated with FG but at least he came from the same political gene pool as the parties main founding parties. Its bizarre for modern day SF to be claiming him

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭batman75

Blowing up Mountbatten and the others on board was a shocking act one of many perpetrated by the IRA. This, Warrington and Jean McConville to my mind were counter productive acts by a cowardly guerilla army. It was a campaign of terror which failed in its ultimate goal of removing British governance from the island.
    I would take anything SF says with a pinch of salt. McGuinness told Denis Donaldson his life was not in danger. He was subsequently assassinated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Now we see A. Phibes above pretending to know about the hosting business and the market shares of its main players while he/she clearly does not. Then we see ridiculous attempts to claim that what SF did was on the same level as Cambridge Analytica.

We don't know what extent SFs database is being used. So far we know that they compiled data from the electoral register, information from party activists on the ground and peoples social media activity into a central database, unclear how exactly this info is used and who has access

Happy to wait for the DPC to investigate but in principle im not really comfortable any political party building up this kind of profile of me or the population in general.

Advertisement