Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 3) Mod Notes and Threadbanned List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Nobody yet knows how SF is using ABU, so any comments on it how it is used is just mere speculation.

I do feel if FF weren't so low in the polls, if Leo was not being investigated and if SF had the number of seats that Labour does, this story would be handled differently by the media. The media is sensing an election over the next 12-14 months and is smelling SF blood and want SF given a bloody nose.

skimpydoo wrote: »
    Nobody yet knows how SF is using ABU, so any comments on it how it is used is just mere speculation.

I do feel if FF weren't so low in the polls, if Leo was not being investigated and if SF had the number of seats that Labour does, this story would be handled differently by the media. The media is sensing an election over the next 12-14 months and is smelling SF blood and want SF given a bloody nose.

The media are doing their job. This idea that this collective group have it in for SF is pure nonsense, and is the sort of dangerous narrative that Trump was telling his supporters. The us vs them.

This is a newsworthy story and is being reported. What SF need to do is stop their supporters abusing journalists on Twitter for reporting on the news. It’s sinister.

The media are doing their job. This idea that this collective group have it in for SF is pure nonsense, and is the sort of dangerous narrative that Trump was telling his supporters. The us vs them.

This is a newsworthy story and is being reported. What SF need to do is stop their supporters abusing journalists on Twitter for reporting on the news. It’s sinister.

So when the fake news story of Leo having to move home because of death threats was published, was that the media doing their job?

So when the fake news story of Leo having to move home because of death threats was published, was that the media doing their job?

That was a mistake. Happens all the time. I’ve absolutely no idea what that has to do with this story, apart from maybe it being a very poor attempt to deflect.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

blanch152 wrote: »
    The point is, I freely consented to the use by Google, Facebook and Twitter of my personal information in accordance with specified terms and conditions and they can only use whatever personal information I agree to give them.

I didn't consent to any of that with Sinn Fein.

As for the rest of your post, it's in line for the Whataboutery of the Day Award.

But SF are getting this information from either public information or information willingly given to SF.

If I make a post on Facebook, do I have any right to a say in who makes a note of it? If I do, that's f*cking ridiculous.

It's not like they're hacking private messages or voicemails or anything like that. The database as it's been described contains information that people chose to either put up on Facebook, or say directly to SF activists during canvassing etc. Once you do that, as far as I'm concerned, you should assume that you no longer have control over how that information gets recorded or what it gets used for. Anyone who doesn't assume this is, in my view, the kind of person who should stay off the internet for their own good.

If you upload something to a public internet forum under your real name, or directly give information to another person without explicitly telling them not to tell anyone else, that information is now "open source". This is plain common sense.

• Advertisement

A mistake? I was giving an example of the media looking out for Leo which this story about ABU could be. If SF is proven to have broken GDPR rules, I hope the book is thrown at them and that they get fined heavily.

Until more is known about ABU I will reserve judgement. I do agree it's not looking great for SF but I like to see the full picture before I condemn them.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,248 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

how does it go further then that?

I presume he means that the National regs allow more than GDPR rules allow, so therefore it may be an issue for the EU regulator and not our DPC?

That was my take on it anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

But SF are getting this information from either public information or information willingly given to SF.

If I make a post on Facebook, do I have any right to a say in who makes a note of it? If I do, that's f*cking ridiculous.

It's not like they're hacking private messages or voicemails or anything like that. The database as it's been described contains information that people chose to either put up on Facebook, or say directly to SF activists during canvassing etc. Once you do that, as far as I'm concerned, you should assume that you no longer have control over how that information gets recorded or what it gets used for. Anyone who doesn't assume this is, in my view, the kind of person who should stay off the internet for their own good.

If you upload something to a public internet forum under your real name, or directly give information to another person without explicitly telling them not to tell anyone else, that information is now "open source". This is plain common sense.

its a non story that blanch 152 and the crew are desperately trying to pretend is an actual story. Bets on theres some bad government news coming soon that needs another story for deflection

Yet we are routinely told a 'collective group' have it in for select politicians.

maccored wrote: »
    its a non story that blanch 152 and the crew are desperately trying to pretend is an actual story. Bets on theres some bad government news coming soon that needs another story for deflection

Everyone is always against poor old SF. Big old campaign involving the media, the civil service, Leo V, and the fricking illuminati.

Journalists should only report on good SF news.

• Advertisement

Everyone is always against poor old SF. Big old campaign involving the media, the civil service, Leo V, and the fricking illuminati.

no, everyone isnt against SF and only a few journos are choosing to report this the way you want them too. as I say - its a bit of a non story

Yet we are routinely told a 'collective group' have it in for select politicians.

Huh? If you think the media as a collective have it in for a specific politician or political party then you’re a conspiracy theorist. It’s preposterous.

SF are now playing county hurling and are subject to the same levels of oversight and rigour as the other parties. Some might say they’ve gotten an easy ride so far tbh - this is a party who wants to be in power yet doesn’t recognise the validity of the State or its constitution; which owns at least 50 properties with no clues as to how they were paid for; which has a sitting TD linked to at least 50 murders, and who has another senior member who has information on the abduction, torture and murder of a young Irishman.

Lots of slates to be lifted. Thankfully we have a free press who can investigate and report on the news.

Huh? If you think the media as a collective have it in for a specific politician or political party then you’re a conspiracy theorist. It’s preposterous.

SF are now playing county hurling and are subject to the same levels of oversight and rigour as the other parties. Some might say they’ve gotten an easy ride so far tbh - this is a party who wants to be in power yet doesn’t recognise the validity of the State or its constitution; which owns at least 50 properties with no clues as to how they were paid for; which has a sitting TD linked to at least 50 murders, and who has another senior member who has information on the abduction, torture and murder of a young Irishman.

Lots of slates to be lifted. Thankfully we have a free press who can investigate and report on the news.

roll on a few weeks time. Im sure there'll be nothing more to report (well, that can be backed up with actual facts that is)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

FWIW, I'm as hardline leftist as they come and I also found the criticism of the Trump campaign over Cambridge Analytica to be moronic in the extreme. People who write things on the public internet should assume that this writing is open source. If any of it involved eavesdropping on private information such as private messages or friends-only content that would be a different matter, but there is absolutely no evidence whatsoever that this is the case.

People who aren't ok with their public information being used in this manner simply shouldn't be using public platforms at all.

Lots of slates to be lifted.

Nobody said anything about the 'media', but selected journalists in the pocket of the sitting government is far from a 'preposterous' theory in any country in the world.
    It's only a few weeks ago that certain posters calling this notion of political parties having 'friendly' journalists a conspiracy theory where jumping all over the Roy Greenslade story.
    Why? Well I'll let you figure that out yourself

BTW the key journalist in this story is Leo Varadkar's biographer

Nobody said anything about the 'media', but selected journalists in the pocket of the sitting government is far from a 'preposterous' theory in any country in the world.
    It's only a few weeks ago that certain posters calling this notion of political parties having 'friendly' journalists a conspiracy theory where jumping all over the Roy Greenslade story.

Name the journalists in the pocket of the sitting government. Serious accusations, Francois.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,775 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

I presume he means that the National regs allow more than GDPR rules allow, so therefore it may be an issue for the EU regulator and not our DPC?

That was my take on it anyhow.
    for the courts perhaps but I don't the courts would rule against especially as it been done for many many years

• Site Banned Posts: 71 ✭✭TheTruth21

A major story about a certain leaker on Sunday coming im led to believe

Name the journalists in the pocket of the sitting government. Serious accusations, Francois.

That escalated quickly.

Just in the last 3 days from you,opinion posted as fact,backtracking,hand waving and now conspiracy theories
    I wonder whats next

• Advertisement

Just in the last 3 days from you,opinion posted as fact,backtracking,hand waving and now conspiracy theories
    I wonder whats next

quite a few people in this thread that description would cover. Did ye's find the phrase 'hand waving' recently or something?

I wonder whats next

You say that on a thread full of them.

A Serbian Miss Moneypenny??? ( arches eyebrow (single nor plural) :)

quite a few people in this thread that description would cover. Did ye's find the phrase 'hand waving' recently or something?

You mentioned you had access to the old Abú system at one stage. Did you only have access to the people in the constituency you canvassed in, or was it ‘access all areas’? You also mentioned colour coding people. Was there a column/box to enter further details about the person you visited?

I think if someone such as Gene Kerrigan had written this, there would be less scrutiny involved. Because it was written by Leo's biographer, there is more scrutiny on the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,283 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I think if someone such as Gene Kerrigan had written this, there would be less scrutiny involved. Because it was written by Leo's biographer, there is more scrutiny on the story.

So we are now in shoot the messenger territory by way of whataboutery.

I am pleased to learn that I have a crew and that I can influence Irish Independent and Irish Times journalists to write stories about Sinn Fein. Wish I could have known this years ago.

blanch152 wrote: »
    So we are now in shoot the messenger territory by way of whataboutery.

Well, a bit of self analysis here for you blanch, if it was Gerry Adams biographer writing a sensational story using the language used in the articles, about FG or FF what would blanch be saying? Would blanch be sceptical?

It has been made clear by a SF member on here that the system was used to build a profile of people on the electoral register and colour code them according to their political views.

Well, a bit of self analysis here for you blanch, if it was Gerry Adams biographer writing a sensational story using the language used in the articles, about FG or FF what would blanch be saying? Would blanch be sceptical?

You do understand that someone can write a biography of someone without being a fan of theirs? It in no ways influences his work at a journalist. By all accounts it wasn't even a particularly flattering account of Varadkar.

You're trying to poison the well, which is straight out of the SF online handbook tbh. It's incredibly transparent, and not at all effective.

I don't even think this story is all that major, especially when you compare it to the other sinister aspects of SF - the TD linked to 50 murders; the child rape and sexual abuse cover-ups, links to smugglers, the knowledge of who tortured a young Irishman because he fell out with the son of the local IRA hardman, the former TD picking up the murderers of a member of the Gardaí, the links to narco terrorists in SA, strategic decisions being made in West Belfast by sociopaths like Storey; the failure to even recognise the legitimacy of the Irish State or its constitution; the paramilitary funerals' the overseas funding; the 200 employees who we don't know what they do; the property portfolio.

No other party aiming for power in any other country in Europe is like them. Dangerous for our democracy to be honest, and I'm sure it's not only journalists keeping an eye on their activities. ;)

• Advertisement

You do understand that someone can write a biography of someone without being a fan of theirs? It in no ways influences his work at a journalist. By all accounts it wasn't even a particularly flattering account of Varadkar.

You're trying to poison the well, which is straight out of the SF online handbook tbh. It's incredibly transparent, and not at all effective.

I don't even think this story is all that major, especially when you compare it to the other sinister aspects of SF - the TD linked to 50 murders; the child rape and sexual abuse cover-ups, links to smugglers, the knowledge of who tortured a young Irishman because he fell out with the son of the local IRA hardman, the former TD picking up the murderers of a member of the Gardaí, the links to narco terrorists in SA, strategic decisions being made in West Belfast by sociopaths like Storey; the failure to even recognise the legitimacy of the Irish State or its constitution; the paramilitary funerals' the overseas funding; the 200 employees who we don't know what they do; the property portfolio.

No other party aiming for power in any other country in Europe is like them. Dangerous for our democracy to be honest, and I'm sure it's not only journalists keeping an eye on their activities. ;)

Diarmuid Ferriter wasn't impressed with it:
    ‘Leo Varadkar: A Very Modern Taoiseach’ is shallow, flimsy and exaggerated

One could say the same of the initial Indo article on this story.

Like, you guys do the same with every single SF story, go completely over the top from a 'playbook' (review this thread for evidence) with sinister innuendo and nudge nudge wink wink tired old tropes and then talk about 'Shinner playbooks'. :):)

No mirrors in the Doc's house then?

Advertisement