Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hate crime nonsense

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

It's a little bit weird that you're actively getting upset by the skin colour of couples on TV. It's somewhat reminiscent of the couple from the Lidl ad that got harassed by racists. So yep I'm inclined to say the fact that you're upset by the ads says more about you.

That was a wried incident, when they changed his second name to hers to not stand out or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 StemCell

GarIT wrote: »
    I hope you are aware Sinn Fein want complete open borders with no checks or limits on the number of people and to do away with the idea of needing a visa to come to Ireland.

Yeah I know. Will never vote for a "nationalist" political group who doesn't put Irish first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

I'm getting worried colleagues at work telling me about Asian Hatecrime in USA don't like the sound cos whatever starts in the USA spreads over...

StemCell wrote: »
    Attack the post not the poster... Sound familiar ?

Do you deny climate change and the implied mass migration it will result in?

But if you just want to call names you'll probably be immune for banning as it's from the left wing liberal side.
    You've gone on a rant about a supposedly inevitable race war and seem to be favouring the establishment of an ethnostate..... So ya, do you expect me to debate your white nationalist ideals? Why do you have a problem with interracial couples? Why does it upset you so?

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

I've no issue with interracial couples, but when 9% of the people in Ireland are non native. And a large number of those came with spouses or marry within their race. Why are 70%+ of couples on ads interracial or if they are white they have to be gay? Same with media exposure, or discussion pannels, non irish people are at least overrepresented in the media by a factor of 2 or three. Why does every discussion panel have to have a black person when if you spent a day outside Dublin looking for one you probably wouldn't be able to find a black person.

And what about eastern Europeans or English they make up the majority of our immigrants and not one of them is represented in the media, no Indians or Chinese either, just black people everywhere despite there being so few of them.

People in favour of quotas on everything would go crazy if there was a quota that natives had to make up 80% of the people on TV and in ads.

There a huge amount of privilege in modern society that comes with being not Irish and/or not male. I was on a hiring panel recently, given the usual spiel about not discriminating, judging people on their ability only, etc, and then told to keep in mind that we are trying to increase the number of women we hire and the diversity of people we hire. I can't believe they don't see the double standard.

I though I was the only person to notice this.

• Advertisement

You've gone on a rant about a supposedly inevitable race war and seem to be favouring the establishment of an ethnostate..... So ya, do you expect me to debate your white nationalist ideals? Why do you have a problem with interracial couples? Why does it upset you so?

There's a race war right now in the USA and another brewing in Europe, it's not far from coming here.

I didn't see anything about an ethnostate. You'll probably be saying he is literally Hitler next.

Myself my friend were badly assaulted last year in a random attack, of which we were both hospitalised. The garda said they were investigating but nothing ever happened.

If the 2 of us just happened to be riding each other in our spare time, it would have went under a hate crime and the garda probably would have actually had to do some digging. It probably would have made the news ffs.

It was a random unprovoked assault by a group of people. It should have been investigated properly and the culprits punished accordingly.

We cant have a 2 tier legal system where some able bodied people are more protected than others.

Why would you think that would make it a hate crime?
    It doesn't matter what you and your mate get up to in private, it is the intention of the offender that makes something a hate crime.

There's no two tier anything. Stop making stuff up

There's a race war right now in the USA and another brewing in Europe, it's not far from coming here.

I didn't see anything about an ethnostate. You'll probably be saying he is literally Hitler next.
    So ya, I think it's pretty clear that he's favouring some form of an ethnostate.... And has a weird thing about mixed race couples... I wouldn't classify highlighting discrimination as a race war btw.
    a right wing/nationalist/protectionist uprising will militarize the European/African border

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Das Reich wrote: »
    I though I was the only person to notice this.

No its bizarre. No Eastern Europeans in the media at all, or in books ads etc.

So ya, I think it's pretty clear that he's favouring some form of an ethnostate.... And has a weird thing about mixed race couples... I wouldn't classify highlighting discrimination as a race war btw.

No he made a prediction of the future based on Africa becoming uninhabitable. I don't see anywhere saying that is what should happen.

But well done anyway on being able to misquote a single line of a larger body of writing to try to make it fit your narative. You almost pulled it off successfully. Bualadh bos.

And neither would I btw, but the fighting and violence probably

• Advertisement

bubblypop wrote: »
    Why would you think that would make it a hate crime?
    It doesn't matter what you and your mate get up to in private, it is the intention of the offender that makes something a hate crime.

There's no two tier anything. Stop making stuff up

How do you know someone's intention unless they like say it? and how do you prove it beyond a reasonable doubt? So is all of this pointless?

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

I don't think you fully understand what a war actually is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭HotDudeLife

I've no issue with interracial couples, but when 9% of the people in Ireland are non native. And a large number of those came with spouses or marry within their race. Why are 70%+ of couples on ads interracial or if they are white they have to be gay? Same with media exposure, or discussion pannels, non irish people are at least overrepresented in the media by a factor of 2 or three. Why does every discussion panel have to have a black person when if you spent a day outside Dublin looking for one you probably wouldn't be able to find a black person.

And what about eastern Europeans or English they make up the majority of our immigrants and not one of them is represented in the media, no Indians or Chinese either, just black people everywhere despite there being so few of them.

People in favour of quotas on everything would go crazy if there was a quota that natives had to make up 80% of the people on TV and in ads.

There a huge amount of privilege in modern society that comes with being not Irish and/or not male. I was on a hiring panel recently, given the usual spiel about not discriminating, judging people on their ability only, etc, and then told to keep in mind that we are trying to increase the number of women we hire and the diversity of people we hire. I can't believe they don't see the double standard.

This is rampant in the tech industry.

I don't think you fully understand what a war actually is.

At the moment it's mostly at the cold war stage ;) propaganda in the media, hatred on the streets, people being polarised.

How do you know someone's intention unless they like say it? and how do you prove it beyond a reasonable doubt? So is all of this pointless?

Intent is required for most crimes. plenty of offenders do not admit their crime. I think we can agree there are plenty of crimes being prosecuted everyday in courts in Ireland. So it seems the prosecution can do their job.
    So no, it is not pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭francois

I don't believe you about the hiring panel, that is tripe as well as illegal

francois wrote: »

That's fine, there's not really any way to prove something that was said verbally, and I'd be risking my job to give much more detail.

Youd be naive not to, it's rife in many multinationals, including mine.

That's fine, there's not really any way to prove something that was said verbally, and I'd be risking my job to give much more detail.

Verbally or not, you should have called it out, so no offence if you can excuse my sceptical reaction, as there's laws which could protect you. If you feel so strongly-as evident from your previous posts-you have a duty to point this out.
    I've interviewed many over years and never come across this, most if not all HR processes are designed to avoid this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭eleventh

They are focused on skin colour, not diversity, because true diversity is not the goal. It never has been.

There's plenty of diversity among Irish people even, never been properly represented by the media.

• Advertisement

Witnessed it a lot myself when I was hiring.

Verbally or not, you should have called it out, so no offence if you can excuse my sceptical reaction, as there's laws which could protect you. If you feel so strongly-as evident from your previous posts-you have a duty to point this out.
    I've interviewed many over years and never come across this, most if not all HR processes are designed to avoid this.

I didn't believe that would go well for me. While I do care about it I care more about my self and my future career prospects. I don't blame you for not believing everything you read on the internet.

I do believe this was called out at Google and the guy was publicly humiliated and sacked.

As a "naive" 56 year old who has worked in a variety of companies in a hiring position I beg to differ

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭jackboy

Every multinational in Ireland are doing this at the moment. It’s not illegal.

jackboy wrote: »

And certain orginisations which our dear Leo declared are too white.

https://www.thejournal.ie/recruitment-targets-civil-service-leo-varadkar-5120369-Jun2020/

I didn't believe that would go well for me. I don't blame you for not believing everything you read on the internet.

I do believe this was called out at Google and the guy was publicly humiliated and sacked.

Well that is unfortunate I'd rather not be in your position ,but if possible I'd look for a company with a better culture,

jackboy wrote: »

I'd love to see some evidence for such a sweeping generalisation-disclaimer, I don't work for one

I'd love to see some evidence for such a sweeping generalisation-disclaimer, I don't work for one

I linked one just above in an edited post. In work in one of these orgs and was told to favour women and non Irish people in interviews. https://www.thejournal.ie/recruitment-targets-civil-service-leo-varadkar-5120369-Jun2020/

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

I didn't believe that would go well for me. While I do care about it I care more about my self and my future career prospects. I don't blame you for not believing everything you read on the internet.

James Damore? Yes, he was sacked for the paper he wrote on Google's hiring practices. He's effectively blacklisted in Silicon Valley as a result.

• Advertisement

As a "naive" 56 year old who has worked in a variety of companies in a hiring position I beg to differ

Sorry look it wasn't meant to come across condescending.

But saying it hasn't happened where your work doesn't mean it doesn't happen. It does where I work, and I was surprised talking to other managers about it how widespread it was.

I rather like the company but that did irritate me. Also in the event of a tie in end of year ratings diversity is also a "plus one". Not sure HR should have left that one in the presentation sent around.

Advertisement