Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hate crime nonsense

Options
  • 16-04-2021 7:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0415/1210181-hate-crime-bill/

This part really stood out for me.

"Hate crimes will be defined in law as those motivated by prejudice against a protected characteristic such as race, colour, nationality, religion, sexual orientation, gender, disability and national or ethnic origin including Traveller ethnicity"

So make sure you don't say something mean to members of the travelling community when they are engaged in crimes against you or your property.

Also this little doozie is laughable

"The maximum penalties for threatening or abusive behaviour, displaying obscene or offensive material in public as hate crimes will double from three to six months"

Who decides what's offensive material in public? Will questioning of government policy be deemed offensive maybe. We all know where this leads, the Gardai grabbing people from protest matches who are holding placards that display statements that don't fit the narrative.

This country is becoming more like the UK with every passing day unfortunately

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

"It's political correctness gone mad, you can't even write racist abuse in excrement on somebody's car anymore".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Who decides what's offensive material in public? Will questioning of government policy be deemed offensive maybe. We all know where this leads, the Gardai grabbing people from protest matches who are holding placards

The answer to your first question is that a jury will ultimately decide, but of course after being filtered by the DPP, in the sense that cases don’t reach court without the say-so of the DPP. So it’s the same as any other law in that regard.

On your second question, no. The law is only in relation to the protected characteristics you mentioned. So questioning government policy won’t be affected, because “government policy” or “membership of government” isn’t a protected characteristic.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Dublinandy3

I have nothing against this bill. My only question is, and maybe I'm just missing the point because I've just woken up, shouldn't every characteristic be protected? Maybe it is, my question is, is there a characteristic that isn't protected?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,179 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Is 'foreign' a national or ethnic origin?

Is 'foreign' a national or ethnic origin?

Xenophobia is a thing so it would be the former, it's pretty clear. They specifically state nationality..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Will this legislation mean the end of Current Affairs? Or can we set up a literal prison forum too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

I have nothing against this bill. My only question is, and maybe I'm just missing the point because I've just woken up, shouldn't every characteristic be protected? Maybe it is, my question is, is there a characteristic that isn't protected?

Height, weight, hair colour, eye colour, hand size, number of fingers.

Imagine thinking that legislation protecting people is a bad thing!

So, a placard with 'deport bogus asylum seekers' could be seen as offensive and a hate crime?

Or any number of other slogans calling out government policy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

so basically you cant critisize anyone anymore for anything at all.

• Advertisement

BanditLuke wrote: »
    "The maximum penalties for threatening or abusive behaviour, displaying obscene or offensive material in public as hate crimes will double from three to six months"

Who decides what's offensive material in public? Will questioning of government policy be deemed offensive maybe. We all know where this leads, the Gardai grabbing people from protest matches who are holding placards that display statements that don't fit the narrative.

Who decides now? Under the current legislation, The Public Order Act, that also outlaws the above behaviours?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

So, a placard with 'deport bogus asylum seekers' could be seen as offensive and a hate crime?

Or any number of other slogans calling out government policy

No, why do you think it would be? Or are you just trying to be dramatic?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Well considering the placard represents current government policy, no.

Smee_Again wrote: »
    No, why do you think it would be? Or are you just trying to be dramatic?

I was replying to protonmike, who seemed to suggest it might be the case

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Dublinandy3

Smee_Again wrote: »
    Height, weight, hair colour, eye colour, hand size, number of fingers.

I wasn't thinking about that minute detail but in theory, shouldn't everything be.

I mean, I'm a bit of a porker, the other day I was walking past a father and child and the child turned around to the dad and said, 'daddy, look at that man, he's really fat'.

It made me chuckle but if I was that way inclined shouldn't I have the option to be able to string that child up for being a hateful monster? (I never will be that way inclined).

Or hair colour, we live in Ireland after all, gingers should be protected.

In all seriousness though. I'm not up for anyone get any type of hate abuse but shouldn't it just specify that, rather than potentially leave some group out?

I hope i'm not sounding too leftist, I try to stay in the safe, nobody shout at me central lane most of the time.

Well considering the placard represents current government policy, no.

How about 'house the Irish first'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

I hope they clearly define what they mean by "prejudice".

For example, in my opinion travellers are generally bad for an area as they tend to litter like crazy and destroy the environment around their caravans/homes. They also inbreed which is not good for society and have a higher tendency for crime compared to the surrounding community.

Is that prejudice or a valid opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭malinheader

How about the victims of some of our ethnic culture groups. Will the law soon change to give them more protection and more justice when looking to prosecute.

I doubt It.

I was replying to protonmike, who seemed to suggest it might be the case

The thing is, I didn't... If those signs had slurs against the groups then you might have some hate speech angle. They would very much so have to establish that it is prejudice that motivates it. So nope, your sign is all good.

OMM 0000 wrote: »

Is that prejudice or a valid opinion?

Yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Bizarrely the wording implies that hate crimes cannot exist if they are committed against someone who is not part of a minority group.
    So if I (foreigner) was to attack someone because I hate Irish people this would not classified as a hate crime?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Jequ0n wrote: »
    Bizarrely the wording implies that hate crimes cannot exist if they are committed against someone who is not part of a minority group.
    So if I (foreigner) was to attack someone because I hate Irish people this would not classified as a hate crime?

That's generally the logic on this stuff.

Head on over to twitter and look how they tolerate calls to kill white people and men.

I really cannot understand what's going on. It's like a sickness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Nothing bizarre about it. It's designed that way. It discriminates against anyone who's not in the perceived groupings. For instance if a traveller/black person abuses/attacks you as an honest tax paying white person it is deemed less important as if the roles where reversed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Just going on what the op posted, Irish is a nationality, nationality is a protected characteristic, this would be classified as a hate crime

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Well i better get on to slapping some faces today

Yes it’s similar rules where I am from and has caused nothing but trouble.

It also really doesn’t help eradicate racism but deepens the divide between groups. But well..too late

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It'll be interesting to see how that plays out. Thought experiment: Gang of White thugs beat up a Black person. Gang of Black thugs beat up a White person. Which is more likely to be pitched and tried as a hate crime? A gang of Black thugs beat up a Traveller = some confusion. Will this be applied to those who are vocal in shouting that the Irish are racists? I doubt it. I suspect as usual the oppressor/oppressed politic will be in evidence.

Now Bubblypop noted earlier Imagine thinking that legislation protecting people is a bad thing! and of course that makes perfect bloody sense. Only a moron would be against protecting people and that's how this is framed, but it seems to me at least that (usually rushed through)hate crime legislation is a tacit admission that one's diverse multicultural melting pot society isn't quite the pluralistic paradise it's sold as.
    It also really doesn’t help eradicate racism but deepens the divide between groups. But well..too late
    Well, yes. Identity politics even with the best most honourable will in the world(and it usually is) by its very nature deepens divides. It marks out those in need of protection by group affiliation and again pushes the oppressor/oppressed narrative. Like this has worked anywhere, ever. But as Ireland has decided, though late to the game, to go down this route, while many other nations are backing off , so we are also firing through the same legislation that didn't work elsewhere. What was it Einstein said about doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

"It's political correctness gone mad, you can't even write racist abuse in excrement on somebody's car anymore".

Lovely straw man there, top top marks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,654 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

If you're on the receiving end of hate crime, the effects are devastating.

Here is a good example:

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sunday-life/news/uvf-orders-removal-of-catholic-families-from-carrickfergus-housing-estate-in-21st-century-form-of-ethnic-cleansing-40297946.html

Hate crime is real. If you have a better solution other than an increase in the custodial sentence, please let us know.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

This seems to be at the heart of what they are proposing, extending the definition of existing crimes, nothing outrageous there TBH.

Ms McEntee said that while the law will also deal with hate speech, it will respect the constitutional right to freedom of expression and will not criminalise "giving offence".

Assault, coercion, harassment, criminal damage and threats to kill are already criminal offences but the Government said new and more severe sentences are to be introduced if these offences are found to be hate crimes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Wibbs wrote: »
    It'll be interesting to see how that plays out. Thought experiment: Gang of White thugs beat up a Black person. Gang of Black thugs beat up a White person. Which is more likely to be pitched and tried as a hate crime? A gang of Black thugs beat up a Traveller = some confusion. Will this be applied to those who are vocal in shouting that the Irish are racists? I doubt it. I suspect as usual the oppressor/oppressed politic will be in evidence.

Now Bubblypop noted earlier Imagine thinking that legislation protecting people is a bad thing! and of course that makes perfect bloody sense. Only a moron would be against protecting people and that's how this is framed, but it seems to me at least that (usually rushed through)hate crime legislation is a tacit admission that one's diverse multicultural melting pot society isn't quite the pluralistic paradise it's sold as.

Well, yes. Identity politics even with the best most honourable will in the world(and it usually is) by its very nature deepens divides. It marks out those in need of protection by group affiliation and again pushes the oppressor/oppressed narrative. Like this has worked anywhere, ever. But as Ireland has decided, though late to the game, to go down this route, while many other nations are backing off , so we are also firing through the same legislation that didn't work elsewhere. What was it Einstein said about doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results?

You cannot legislate something so subjective as "hate" it's ridicolous.
    And of course, it won't count if it's toward a native Irish white person.

Hate crime is so moronic, it's either a crime or it's not, I see in the UK they even have "non crime hate incidents" - wtf does that even mean ?? having the wrong opinions ??

Advertisement