Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭lulublue22

This is the laziest post ever. I'd say I could easily search the forum and get an answer, but I'm taking the easy way out.

At the moment I do a few stretches when things are already at a critical stage. Its all a bit like grabbing a load of darts and chucking them at a dartboard hoping to hit the bullseye.

I'm after a 15 min routine for stretch calves/legs that I'll hopefully incorporate into my daily routine twice a day?

Possibly not what you are looking for but I have the free version of fiton app. Love it - loads of free guided sessions. Pilates, strength , yoga, stretch cardio dynamic warmups etc ranging from 5mins to 30 mins and of varying intensity. You might find something there ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Brilliant! Thanks Lulu just downloaded it there

Brilliant! Thanks Lulu just downloaded it there

Enjoy ðŸ˜႒

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Looking for a bit of advice/guidance.

My 17 year old daughter is going to do a HM with me at the end of August and she’s looking for a bit of structure (hoping to run 2:00-2:10)

Are there any specific plans for “younger” runners or would she be good to go with a generic off the shelf one? I would ideally like her to run 4 days a week

Thanks

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Looking for a bit of advice/guidance.

My 17 year old daughter is going to do a HM with me at the end of August and she’s looking for a bit of structure (hoping to run 2:00-2:10)

Are there any specific plans for “younger” runners or would she be good to go with a generic off the shelf one? I would ideally like her to run 4 days a week

Thanks

TbL

I wouldn't see age as factor in a well rounded training plan. Usual caveat applies regarding progression and recoverys,
    Objectively analyse starting fitness, and get a plan to suit fitness and goals.

Be grand ;)

• Advertisement

Ceepo wrote: »
    I wouldn't see age as factor in a well rounded training plan. Usual caveat applies regarding progression and recoverys,
    Objectively analyse starting fitness, and get a plan to suit fitness and goals.

Be grand ;)

Cheers K

TbL

Anyone recommend a simple (not technical) HM plan for sub 2.15 with 4 days running a week?

Thanks

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Anyone recommend a simple (not technical) HM plan for sub 2.15 with 4 days running a week?

Thanks

TbL

Hal Higdon has some great simple plans, he even has an app now, worth a look.

Hal Higdon has some great simple plans, he even has an app now, worth a look.

Thanks AM

They look like just the job

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭deisedude

Can anyone recommend a good running journal / training log book?

Ideally would prefer a specific running /training one than lets say a blank moleskine

• Advertisement

deisedude wrote: »

Ideally would prefer a specific running /training one than lets say a blank moleskine

Mrs C, picked up on at xmas called "The running log book"
    Similar to a daily diary but has sections for weather, HR, calories, weight, route, time, speed distance, injuries, thoughts etc.
    Seems failry comprehensive tbf,
    Not 100% sure where she got it from but I suspect amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

deisedude wrote: »

Irish athlete Roisin McGettigan is involved in this one.
    https://www.easons.com/believe-training-journal-electric-blue-edition-lauren-fleshman-9781948007061?gclid=Cj0KCQjwgtWDBhDZARIsADEKwgPrSWNit-RwnNCpENjZPUfTIFDoNN60arKRX3rtg_yTgXqfCmMz-EwaAo6qEALw_wcB

BeepBeep67 wrote: »

I have that one its grand - bought it on amazon a few years ago - ceepo’s one seems / sounds more comprehensive.

Attached pictures (hopefully) of the inside of Mrs C diary.
    Might give you a better idea.
    Seems to be fairly comprehensive,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭deisedude

Ceepo wrote: »
    Mrs C, picked up on at xmas called "The running log book"
    Similar to a daily diary but has sections for weather, HR, calories, weight, route, time, speed distance, injuries, thoughts etc.
    Seems failry comprehensive tbf,
    Not 100% sure where she got it from but I suspect amazon.

Thanks, found it. Exactly what I was looking for

• Registered Users Posts: 27,031 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

/rant

Why oh why can people not walk/run on the left?
    It's simple and avoids everyone having to slalom their way around the place.

I'm looking at you old lady this morning!

Special mention for those people who walk on one side with their dog on a leash on the other side.

/end rant

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Butterbeans

GreeBo wrote: »
    /rant

Special mention for those people who walk on one side with their dog on a leash on the other side.

/end rant

Depends where you're running. On country roads with no paths, where I do a lot of my running, it's safer to run on the right, most of the time.

But yeah, I get your general point.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Simple rule of thumb. Old lady can walk where she wants. Runner works around that. Simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

GreeBo wrote: »
    /rant

/end rant
    Feel your pain. Nearly got tripped last night by an almost invisible dog lead
    I’m going to add to that rant.
    Why do plonkers run on busy roads beside empty footpaths? So many of them and see it every day. Do they have a deathwish or something?
    Saw an old gobsh1te this morning on the canal running against the traffic in cycle lane nearly get whacked by a truck, jump up onto the empty wide footpath out of the way than back out onto the road in front of me ( I was driving, not running)

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭migozarad

The concrete footpath is 7 times harder than the asphalt on the road.If you want to ease impact on the connective tissues,it makes sense to use the likes of an empty cyclepath as I do habitually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

migozarad wrote: »
    The concrete footpath is 7 times harder than the asphalt on the road.If you want to ease impact on the connective tissues,it makes sense to use the likes of an empty cyclepath as I do habitually.

I’m talking about a narrow enough road with a painted line to indicate a bike lane. It’s not a proper bike path. It’s a fierce busy road. Only a gob****e would run in the middle of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

Seve OB wrote: »
    I’m talking about a narrow enough road with a painted line to indicate a bike lane. It’s not a proper bike path. It’s a fierce busy road. Only a gob****e would run in the middle of it.

As a motorist, motorcyclist, cyclist, walker, buggy pusher etc....

Maybe the truck driver is also a gobsh%ite for driving in the cycle lane?

Maybe the jogger was jogging on the road because elderly people turn around corners or come out of houses etc and get an awful fright in current circumstances being faced with, what they may perceive to be, a dirty mouth breathing jogger....

Maybe we should all relax and try give each other some space?

Ps, jogging against the traffic is the correct approach in my view if you are going to jog on roads, at least you can see what's coming and jump out of the way.

As a motorist, motorcyclist, cyclist, walker, buggy pusher etc....

Maybe the truck driver is also a gobsh%ite for driving in the cycle lane?

Maybe the jogger was jogging on the road because elderly people turn around corners or come out of houses etc and get an awful fright in current circumstances being faced with, what they may perceive to be, a dirty mouth breathing jogger....

Maybe we should all relax and try give each other some space?

Ps, jogging against the traffic is the correct approach in my view if you are going to jog on roads, at least you can see what's coming and jump out of the way.

You are always supposed to walk/ jog / run against traffic so you can be aware of what’s coming towards you.

ETA - run and walk with a dog - people who walk / run dogs on retractable leads but don’t actually use them when they see people coming towards them are a feckin nuisance though.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭BeginnerRunner

I've a simple set of rules for this;

Footpath - walk on left, runners pass on right where possible

Footpath with cycle path beside it - if path is busy, run into oncoming bikes

Footpath with cycle path beside it with people walking on cycle path - drop your shoulder and nail the *****

Road with no footpath - run into oncoming traffic

Old person driving or walking? F*ck knows what's gonna happen. Expect the unexpected and leave em away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Footpath with cycle path beside it with people walking on cycle path - drop your shoulder and nail the *****

Oh man, don't tempt me! Especially the cycle path along Strand Road in Bray. The amount of walkers on it is just mind boggling, and I'm sure they're the same idiots who then complain on Facebook about cyclists on the road.
    *** rant over ***

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Anyone know how to switch on weekly run summary emails of your completed runs on MapMyFitness? Maybe it’s now only offered to their paying customers..

Oh man, don't tempt me! Especially the cycle path along Strand Road in Bray. The amount of walkers on it is just mind boggling, and I'm sure they're the same idiots who then complain on Facebook about cyclists on the road.
    *** rant over ***

Funnily enough, that's exactly where I was referring too.

Or people stopping on either side of the cycle lane with dogs on leads and the dogs having a sniff in the middle of the lane blocking up the entire thing completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

I just don’t get the issues with the whole cycle lane debacle in Ireland, cyclists and runners happily share the cycle paths here and no issues. Obviously bikes get preference, but in the near 4 years I’m here I haven’t experienced one bike user abusing me and asking me to get out of the cycle path. Plus there is a hell of a lot more cyclists here in The Netherlands.

OOnegative wrote: »
    I just don’t get the issues with the whole cycle lane debacle in Ireland, cyclists and runners happily share the cycle paths here and no issues. Obviously bikes get preference, but in the near 4 years I’m here I haven’t experienced one bike user abusing me and asking me to get out of the cycle path. Plus there is a hell of a lot more cyclists here in The Netherlands.

Cyclists and runners happily exist on cycle lanes in my experience.

The problem is ****ing pedestrians who walk 2/3 abreast or stop for chats in the direction of traffic flow and then get all confused when you call them useless *****.

(1st * = ducking, 2nd * = punts -- I feel very strongly about this)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

OOnegative wrote: »

Sharing the path with a single runner or walker is no problem at all. But when you see groups of walkers spread across the entire cycle path that is a problem, and on that particular cycle path in Bray you see that all day, every day. And the cyclists absolutely do not get preference!

Advertisement