Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I don't have a doctor...

Options
  • 15-04-2021 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,716 ✭✭✭

I arrived home (after working abroad for 10 years) in 2018 & haven't needed a doctor since arriving back...

I always went to the same doctor prior to leaving the country... never de-listed with him. I am now concerned about how I get my Corona Vaccine... Do I need to sign up with a doctor? Would I still be listed with my previous doctor?

I don't remember any of this rubbish in the past... you went to a doctor when you were sick... I don't recall there being lists of people who were allowed to visit or not... but anyways...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I arrived home (after working abroad for 10 years) in 2018 & haven't needed a doctor since arriving back...

I always went to the same doctor prior to leaving the country... never de-listed with him. I am now concerned about how I get my Corona Vaccine... Do I need to sign up with a doctor? Would I still be listed with my previous doctor?

I don't remember any of this rubbish in the past... you went to a doctor when you were sick... I don't recall there being lists of people who were allowed to visit or not... but anyways...

The best and easiest thing to do is phone the surgery of your previous doctor and they can check and establish your situation.

You would have been registered/listed with them. The system is the same.

Then ask them re the vaccination. Many GPs are doing this.

Call them today? Set your mind at rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

No, you won't need one. Here's the HSE help page on registering for a vaccine.

https://www2.hse.ie/screening-and-vaccinations/covid-19-vaccine/user-guide/problems-registering-online.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,716 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Thanks guys.ill do both.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Was it the video of the vaccination booking site that sparked off this worry?

I totally wouldn't worry about it, they only ask this info on that booking site so that they can send a record to your doctor to say you've gotten vaccinated. They'll probably send it to your doctor if you give their name and will be updated on your doctor's records.

No harm in checking their surgery anyways :)

Was it the video of the vaccination site that sparked off this worry?

I totally wouldn't worry about it, they only ask this info on that booking site so that they can send a record to your doctor to say you've gotten vaccinated. They'll probably send it to your doctor if you give their name and will be updated on your doctor's records.

No harm in checking their surgery anyways :)

Video? I'm meant to have watched a video??? :eek:

Thanks for the heads up... I'm just asking from the point of view of being able to get a booking for the vaccine...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

No, not a requirement.

It's just in the media at the moment as they launched the vaccination booking site for over 65's today. They released a video explaining how to complete the booking and I thought your thread might have been created because of that.

Won't be mandatory to use the booking site to get a vaccine, but it will offload the pressure as the bigger cohorts become eligible for vaccination.

link to said video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1JoC01Omgc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Simples
    If you can't find your GP or don't have a GP
    If you cannot find your GP, or are not registered with a GP, you can choose the "I am not registered with a GP" option on the GP screen.

That was actually quite educational... Thanks. A bit of clarity.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Lesalare

I was in same situ as you. I called my old doc and they put me back on their list of clients.

I was actually quite lucky today. Rang a local clinic, which is modern and has a good mix of doctors... It's very highly recommended They have an opening and can add me to their patient list, I just need to go in and sign some paperwork...

I'm also confident, from the advice above, that I can book a covid vaccine irrespective of having a doctor or not.

• Advertisement

I was actually quite lucky today. Rang a local clinic, which is modern and has a good mix of doctors... It's very highly recommended They have an opening and can add me to their patient list, I just need to go in and sign some paperwork...

I'm also confident, from the advice above, that I can book a covid vaccine irrespective of having a doctor or not.

All good news! Great..

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mfmxtry

I had this message from the HSE. I am aged over 70.
    "You are through to HSELive. Thank you for your email. You do not have to be registered with a GP to receive the vaccine. You can make contact with a GP in your locality with a view to making an appointment to get the vaccine"
    I contacted GPs in the Sandymount area to make an appointment: none were interested. (I think they were very busy).
    I decided to wait for the portal but I find that it is limited to age under 70.
    Have others successfully registered "just for the vaccine" with a GP? Any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

I would keep trying GPs in the area. Ideally, I would look to speak to the doctor (arrange a call back) if this is at all possible. Also, get back onto HSE live and explain the situation you're in. GP surgeries are obviously very busy at the moment but that's not an excuse to outright refuse to take someone on for the purpose of receiving a vaccine if they're in the vulnerable cohort. Do you have any contact with any doctor? When did you last have a GP and was it a local GP?

Edit: Are you a medical card holder (this would make things a lot easier)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭karlitob

Miike wrote: »
    I would keep trying GPs in the area. Ideally, I would look to speak to the doctor (arrange a call back) if this is at all possible. Also, get back onto HSE live and explain the situation you're in. GP surgeries are obviously very busy at the moment but that's not an excuse to outright refuse to take someone on for the purpose of receiving a vaccine if they're in the vulnerable cohort. Do you have any contact with any doctor? When did you last have a GP and was it a local GP?

I would hound the HSE and your local TD.

GPs are not all they crack themselves up to be. They are all private entities, getting paid a lot of money from the public purse to do this - €60 per shot, no matter if it’s a single or double dose. You’re a citizen of this state, you’re entitled to a vaccine and the state has paid for it. GPs have a moral obligation - as well as a contractual one - for giving you the vaccine. They would have to have a contractually identified reason for not giving you the vaccine - and ‘too busy’ is not one.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,487 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭Enzokk

mfmxtry wrote: »
    I had this message from the HSE. I am aged over 70.
    "You are through to HSELive. Thank you for your email. You do not have to be registered with a GP to receive the vaccine. You can make contact with a GP in your locality with a view to making an appointment to get the vaccine"
    I contacted GPs in the Sandymount area to make an appointment: none were interested. (I think they were very busy).
    I decided to wait for the portal but I find that it is limited to age under 70.
    Have others successfully registered "just for the vaccine" with a GP? Any advice?

If you are over 70 and have not been registered to get the vaccine because you don't have a GP, call the HSE Covid19 line and they should have a procedure in place to help you.

Rollout of COVID-19 vaccines in Ireland
    Group 3
    People aged 70 and older

If you do not have a GP, call the COVID-19 helpline for advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,710 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Whatever about the vaccine, if you're over 70, you should be registered with a doctor anyways.

Keep calling until you find one who will register you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,068 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

karlitob wrote: »
    GPs have a moral obligation - as well as a contractual one - for giving you the vaccine. They would have to have a contractually identified reason for not giving you the vaccine - and ‘too busy’ is not one.

Where did you get this from?

Whatever about the vaccine, if you're over 70, you should be registered with a doctor anyways.

Keep calling until you find one who will register you.

Why? Many prefer not to have a GP.

Graces7 wrote: »

What do you do when you need one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I guess we all should register with a gp? Up to this point I would just call over to my aunt every few years she was a gp, she'd scribble something illegible on a pad and off to the pharmacist. I don't think I will ever have that kind of gp relationship again. It was free too and I'd get a cup of tea and a bit to eat. I was spoiled, I guess the future holds hours in waiting rooms, extortionate fees and poor communication.

Dav010 wrote: »
    What do you do when you need one?

I am registered but only as I cannot get the pain meds I need OTC. never see her.
    Happier without. Just a repeat prescription now and then.

Perhaps the post below answers the question you posed.

I am registered but only as I cannot get the pain meds I need OTC. never see her.
    Happier without. Just a repeat prescription now and then.

Dav010 wrote: »
    Perhaps the post below answers the question you posed.

No I phrased it badly. I mean that if by a happy chance I could get the pain meds I need OTC I certainly would not bother to register with a doctor. I had several doctorless years in Ireland before pain got worse. Being from the UK I was also used to the NHS system of free health care for all then had to adjust to the Medical Card system over here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

I see some GPs are saying that the over 70s Cohort will be/was the last one they'll be doing in their practice

Citing that doing more will affect other services

dcf269699ec57d0b315229ebdb2c9713.jpg

Where does that leave people due a jab from them in the next Cohorts?

Age 60 - 65 and above can now book their vaccine online.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    I see some GPs are saying that the over 70s Cohort will be/was the last one they'll be doing in their practice

Citing that doing more will affect other services

dcf269699ec57d0b315229ebdb2c9713.jpg

Where does that leave people due a jab from them in the next Cohorts?

They'll be directed to another GP, or a HSE clinic, when given an appointment. Won't need to pre-register with that GP

Local to me a few GPs never did them - not out of opposition to them, primarily space. They arranged for their >70s and Cohort 4s to go to a GP with a big surgery. He'll be taking far more than just his own patients from the HSE booking portal too.

L1011 wrote: »
    They'll be directed to another GP

Will they have to register with a whole new GP? Many aren't taking new patients over the last 12 months

Or is it a case of just going to this new referred GP twice (for the jabs)?

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Will they have to register with a whole new GP? Many aren't taking new patients over the last 12 months

Or is it a case of just going to this new referred GP twice (for the jabs)?

You missed this...
    Won't need to pre-register with that GP

• Advertisement

You missed this...

I did ;)

Not enough sleep last night

Cheers

Advertisement