Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ultimate Battle of The Beatles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,526 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Group A
    I'm a Loser
    Dear Prudence
    Come Together
    Tomorrow Never Knows

Anyone voting ‘Honey Pie’ is nuts. There, I said it.

The tide is turning…

Group B
    Something
    If I Needed Someone
    Let It Be
    Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭zoe 3619

Group A
    Another Girl
    Dear Prudence
    Come Together
    Tomorrow Never Knows

Would it count as a vote if I just quoted this .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,631 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Collie D wrote: »
    You’ll still end up with an uneven number somewhere though unless at some point you have a number with the root of 2 ie 128, 64, 32, 16, 8, 4, 2...winner.

Although if you do go with 92 first round winners and 4 wild cards you could go head to head all the way and end up with a 3-way final.

WastefulSparklingHoverfly-max-1mb.gif

:D:D:D

Three way header for the final it is so!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭abff

Group B
    Something
    Abstain
    Let It Be
    Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

Group B
    Till There Was You
    If I Needed Someone
    Let It Be
    Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Group B
    Something
    If I Needed Someone
    Let It Be
    Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

Group A
    I'm a Loser
    Dear Prudence
    Come Together
    Honey Pie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I also like the 24 hour opening time, allows me to properly listen to the songs.
    Only 2 of the 8 that I could register - and one of them due to a cover version I like.

Group A
    I'm a Loser - like it slightly better, the harmonica around 1:20 sounds really neat
    Dear Prudence - I can't remember if I have heard this before but I really like the cover version of Siouxsie and the Banshees
    Come Together - though Long Long Long was interesting, familiarity wins here and in fairness Come Together is a great song.
    Tomorrow Never Knows - not particularly wowed by either of them, Tomorrow Never Knows is interestingly weird, I think I hears a sitar somewhere in there

• Registered Users Posts: 11,298 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Group B
    Something
    vs Till There Was You
    The Word vs If I Needed Someone
    Let It Be
    vs I'll Cry Instead
    I Want to Tell You vs Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da

• Advertisement

Irish Aris wrote: »
    Tomorrow Never Knows - not particularly wowed by either of them, Tomorrow Never Knows is interestingly weird, I think I hears a sitar somewhere in there

Always enjoyed the version on Anthology 2:

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Group B
    Something
    If I Needed Someone
    Let It Be
    I Want to Tell You

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Group B
    Something - lovely ballad
    If I Needed Someone - not fussed by either of them, just like it slightly more
    Let It Be - One of my most favourite Beatles songs
    I Want to Tell You - I was never a fan of Ob La Di, so will vote for I Want To Tell You

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Group A
    I'm a Loser
    I'm Happy Just to Dance With You
    Come Together
    Honey Pie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Group B
    Something
    The Word
    Let It Be
    Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

Group A
    I'm a loser - nice bit of self reflection there. being honest that your a loser when you've fcuked up!

I don't like Another Girl at all. why rub a new relationship in an ex's face. very petty, no thanks.

I'm Happy Just to with You - Awh so sweet. reminds me of the lyrics to Lady In Red. Only got eyes for that one special girl in the room.

Prudence sounds like the better song, but 'The sky is blue, it's beautiful, and so are you'. pass the bucket!

Come Together - The only song I know of them all, and I like the song too.

long,long,long was waaay too slow for me. probably be a good stoner song but I don't smoke so its of no benefit to me.

Honey Pie - So she goes off to the U.S and makes something of herself, and he wants her to give it all up and come back to the North of England to his lazy a$$!? 'I'm in love but I'm lazy' 'Please come home to me'. such a tough decision for that lady :rolleyes:

Tomorrow never knows, its funny they say 'Turn off your mind, relax and float down the stream', yet the song is quite busy and noisy from the get go:D. bit too busy for my ears

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Group A:

I'm a loser vs Another girl: Close enough this one. Another girl is alright, there's a bitterness in the lyrics that's unusual for McCartney and the little guitar licks, but Lennon's vocals and honesty edge I'm A loser to the win.

I'm Happy Just to Dance With You vs Dear Prudence - I'm happy Just to Dance.. is a lovely simple song with a nifty melody, but it's not top tier. I've gone off Dear Prudence over the years - I used to love it - but I still like a lot of it: the simple guitar that starts it off, the way the arrangement builds as it goes on, Paul's bass lines are really cool throughout, the backing vocals that come and go.

Long, long long vs Come Together : I really like long long long, it's a really underrated song. But it starts off so quietly that it doesn't register with a lot of people, but man, that - one - chorus - is an absolute banger! He could have milked it a bit more. George can get a bit preachy at times, but he sounds very humble and thankful on this one.

But, it's no Come Together which is absolute banger, with an edge to it that still cuts today.

Tomorrow Never Know vs Honey Pie - I don't mind Honey Pie, it's pretty great silly McCartney piano pop, but Tomorrow Never Knows is something else. That shít sounds wild even today, imagine how it sounded in 1966. The fact that the world's most popular group had travelled in 3 years from singing about wanting to hold your hand to advising people to "lay down all thought: surrender to the void" still blows my mind. If you want a single song that works as a signifier of the massive cultural changes going on during the sixties, as they were going on, look no further than Tomorrow Never Knows.

And it's amazing musically and sonically: that beat is fcking amazing, the distorted vocals, the chaos of the tape loops... Such creativity. Totally amazing song.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

Group B
    Something
    - Sounds slightly familiar, but I like it either way. nice lyrics too

Till There was You was pleasant enough, but it reminds of the music played in a spanish restaurant and I always find that a bit annoying.

The Word - I don't really know what they are singing about but I don't care either. I like it, and I can just bop around and make up my own words to it :pac:

If I Needed Someone. Not sure what this is about either. 'Carve your number on my wall and maybe you will get a call, If I needed someone'.
    not the best mate is he?

Let it Be - I know this one. always makes me feel sad for some reason. must have seen it in a sad scene on tv at some stage. still like it though

I'll Cry Instead. Ah good man, you decided to go on a drive after a breakup rather than get yourself arrested. Props for that..
    However, you then went on to say your gonna break hearts all around the world.
    So basically you're intending to make others feel as miserable as you feel. not cool!

Ob-La-Di - Another one I've heard.
    Ah the love story of Desmond and Molly. cute enough

I Want to Tell You. Don't know if I'm understanding this correctly. Is it about a bad marriage with lack of communication??
    'I want to tell you, I feel unloved, but I don't know why'.
    'I don't mind, I can wait forever. I've got time'

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,274 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Group A
    Another Girl
    Dear Prudence
    Come Together
    Tomorrow Never Knows

Group B
    Till There Was You
    If I Needed Someone
    I'll Cry Instead
    Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Group B
    Something vs Till There Was You
    The Word vs If I Needed Someone
    Let It Be vs I'll Cry Instead
    I Want to Tell You vs Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da - Never thought I would vote for this one - must have mellowed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Reberetta

Group A
    I'm a Loser
    I'm Happy Just to Dance With You
    Come Together
    Honey Pie

Group B
    Till There Was You
    If I Needed Someone
    I'll Cry Instead
    Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Group A
    I'm a Loser
    ICear Prudence
    Come Together
    Tomorrow Never Knows

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Group B
    Something
    The Word
    Let It Be v
    I Want to Tell You

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

Group A
    I'm a Loser
    Dear Prudence
    Long, Long, Long
    Tomorrow Never Knows

Group B
    Something
    The Word
    Let It Be
    I Want to Tell You

Big George fan, so something is one of my favourite songs ever and his songs I want to tell you and long long long also won out.

Tomorrow Never Knows is one of the best songs ever and I'm shocked so many are voting for honey pie. So ahead of its time and the way it was used to close out an episode of mad man was genius. The most expensive song ever used in a TV program

https://www.rollingstone.com/movies/movie-news/mad-men-paid-250k-for-beatles-song-179470/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

Group B
    Something
    The Word
    Let It Be
    Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Group A
    I'm A Loser
    Dear Prudence
    Come Together
    Honey Pie