Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair City [News, Spoilers and Discussion v10] Read Post #1 Before Contributing

Options

Comments

Last week there were tears on here because vigilantes and sh*stirrers were making fun of Maclean Burke's physical appearance.

I don't think the actress who plays Derbhla deserves to have her body discussed in a negative manner just because she put herself out there and became... Ahem... "Famous".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Last week there were tears on here because vigilantes and sh*stirrers were making fun of Maclean Burke's physical appearance.

I don't think the actress who plays Derbhla deserves to have her body discussed in a negative manner just because she put herself out there and became... Ahem... "Famous".

She's a model...literally gets paid to be judged.

Pussyhands wrote: »

Um no she gets paid to wear clothes. It's up to you if you want to pass judgement.

Um no she gets paid to wear clothes. It's up to you if you want to pass judgement.

And why is she paid to wear clothes?

And why is she paid to wear clothes?

The company chooses her to present a desirable look. Where in the job description does she put herself forward for personal judgement?

Tis a bit rich that there was awful hand wringing over "keyboard warriors" (his words, not mine) making fun of Maclean Burke, because he's just a poor guy, but a lass who is getting paid to model? Absolutely fair game.

• Advertisement

The company chooses her to present a desirable look. Where in the job description does she put herself forward for personal judgement?

Tis a bit rich that there was awful hand wringing over "keyboard warriors" (his words, not mine) making fun of Maclean Burke, because he's just a poor guy, but a lass who is getting paid to model? Absolutely fair game.

Someone says she has great legs and I say they're too skinny, not negative at all.

But she's paid to wear clothes because they think the clothes look better on her than another person. How is that not judging someone on their appearance?

Someone says she has great legs and I say they're too skinny, not negative at all.

But she's paid to wear clothes because they think the clothes look better on her than another person. How is that not judging someone on their appearance?

Oh, you took my comment personally. No, the post wasn't aimed at you.

This is a better example than yours, say you're at a motor show and there's a model in a bikini posed on the bonnet of a car. She is there because she has been judged to look good by the company that hired her. Is it ok for you to say to your friend "I wouldn't like her, she's too skinny"? Yes, of course. Is it ok for you to go up to her and say "I don't like you, you're too skinny"? No of course not. They are not being paid to take your judgement.

Hope that clears it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭threetrees

How come Sharon didn't know Liam if he was Gers friend or best friends boyfriend/husband.? Bit odd that.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,212 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

threetrees wrote: »
    How come Sharon didn't know Liam if he was Gers friend or best friends boyfriend/husband.? Bit odd that.

I think he was from a different estate/flats and Ger used visit even tough she wasn't allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,125 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Yes, he wrote about it in the song Molly Malone

"In Dublin's Fair City, where the girls are so pretty..."

ROTFL :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

threetrees wrote: »

Yeah, seems a bit strange alright. Same with Carol, they grew up in the same area but in FC years later they're just meeting for the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,125 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Yeah, seems a bit strange alright. Same with Carol, they grew up in the same area but in FC years later they're just meeting for the first time.

And the Bishops too

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Mod: A reminder that demeaning, insulting comments about actors' appearances are against the charter in this forum. If you haven't already, I'd ask folks to read to and be aware of the forum's ground rules. Not trying to stifle people's fun, just asking to throttle back form the personal comments

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=246017#post86855123

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

People "choose" to be offended...i doubt she's one of those people tbh....

BTW...back before the 90's she would have been considered normal (which she still is). compared to todays size 14 "normal"....just sayin..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

By Pussyhands?

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭GAAcailin

Priest on Claire Byrne this am complaining about the disrespectful way that confession was portrayed in FC
    https://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/html5/#/radio1/21938825

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

GAAcailin wrote: »
    Priest on Claire Byrne this am complaining about the disrespectful way that confession was portrayed in FC

I can understand that.

There's a bit of the Irish Rasputin about Fr. Liam! From the eyes, beard, dark hair, drinking in the confessional, the women. All he's missing are healing powers!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

GAAcailin wrote: »

Dont think that group have the right to complain about anything imo....

The offensive thing is his acting.........:p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,087 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

...and the set. Brutal.:D

Dont think that group have the right to complain about anything imo....

A lot of Fair City fans would be older practicing Catholics and might agree with the priest about making a bolox of a sacrament. If you're under 50 watching Fair City, like myself and I'd say most who comment here, you'd be in a minority :p

It's mostly older people, and those loyal to RTE.

• Advertisement

Hayley came very blond for a child of theirs.

A lot of Fair City fans would be older practicing Catholics and might agree with the priest about making a bolox of a sacrament. If you're under 50 watching Fair City, like myself and I'd say most who comment here, you'd be in a minority :p

It's mostly older people, and those loyal to RTE.

If a lot of FC fans are older practicing catholics, then the show is targeting the wrong audience.:D The show took the complete piss from the catholic church in the last episode and IMO didn't go far enough. Crap set (whats new:D) smokes, booze and the wrong so called confessional set up. Who gives a fook anymore? Honestly. The storyline is stupid anyway and just looks like a last attempt to involve the catholic church in more controversial soap related BS. Years behind the reality of modern Ireland despite the recent mother and baby home thing which predates Ger and Father whatever's shag, which was fairly normal back then.

All this hippie, new age eastern sh*te would do your head in. Sunrise meditation..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,293 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

A Kerry priest isn't happy.

A Kerry priest has questioned whether Catholics should continue to pay their TV licence fee after a “disturbing, inaccurate and disrespectful” storyline on RTÉ's Fair City.

“It really downgraded the sacrament at a very sensitive time,” Fr McNamara

The Confession breached all kinds of protocols. It was made to seem it would take place in front of an altar, there was drink involved, and the priest donned a stole, to name some of the issues.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40265354.html

It would be more in his line to be disturbed about the abuse that went on for years and the cover up of it after rather than talking sh1te about a TV show.

Grandeeod wrote: »
    If a lot of FC fans are older practicing catholics, then the show is targeting the wrong audience.:D The show took the complete piss from the catholic church in the last episode and IMO didn't go far enough. Crap set (whats new:D) smokes, booze and the wrong so called confessional set up. Who gives a fook anymore? Honestly. The storyline is stupid anyway and just looks like a last attempt to involve the catholic church in more controversial soap related BS. Years behind the reality of modern Ireland despite the recent mother and baby home thing which predates Ger and Father whatever's shag, which was fairly normal back then.

Jaysus calm down. I'm only saying older people watch it. They don't have to be targeted. They watch out of habit.

Jaysus calm down. I'm only saying older people watch it. They don't have to be targeted. They watch out of habit.

I'm completely calm.:D I'm also on the border of 50.:eek: But I simply disagree with that priest and any defense offered up in relation to any age group that watch the show or their beliefs. Fair City could be a far better soap if it didn't give a fook about offending its audience. British soaps do it all the time and are miles ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,293 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Tommy is getting very cranky.

Grandeeod wrote: »
    I'm completely calm.:D I'm also on the border of 50.:eek: But I simply disagree with that priest and any defense offered up in relation to any age group that watch the show or their beliefs. Fair City could be a far better soap if it didn't give a fook about offending its audience. British soaps do it all the time and are miles ahead.

Best we agree to disagree. I think if a priest (who never engaged in sexual abuse or cover ups) feels he wants to speak and represents people let him at it. That's true liberalism.

No problem. We all see things differently given life experiences. I'm in the mid 40s so heading that way. I'm flicking between the Champions league, my excuse!

Tommy is getting very cranky.

Getting no action!

• Advertisement

It's a thin line between a good bowl of noodles and sleeping in the tool shed.

Advertisement