Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Chat. (MOD NOTE post# 3949 and post#5279)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Question: 2 Adults and 2 children living in a house. Only 1 adult vaccinated. Where do the children and other adult go if vaccinated person wants another vaccinated over for chat?. .
    To the best of my understanding unless all people are vaccinated you can only mix with one other "paired" household.

Wonder can a vaccinated person visit whom they like?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 1,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭otmmyboy2

Feisar wrote: »
    And I’d be happy enough if half the country was vaccinated that they’d be able to get out and about and get business back motoring again. IMHO it’s much more unfair to keep strangling business and people’s mental health when there is an option available.

In that case when it was being debated months ago that the rest of the country start opening up and those who were most at risk (the elderly, immunocompromised, etc) stay at home such a plan was shot down by the gov because it would be unfair, create a 2 tier society, etc.

Which is exactly what they are doing now.

I don't see how you can be for letting those who are least likely to have severe reactions to covid have more freedom now, but not before...
    That lockdown is the correct option

Why?

Maybe, in the very beginning, when the virus was predicted to be significantly more easily spread and deadly. But if that was the case why were our borders open then but largely closed now...
    Now we know lockdowns are not the best solution, nor are they warranted on the scale and longevity they have been used here.
    On national unity, we seem to lack a sense of civic duty one sees in other countries. Even when we were piss poor and people would help their neighbours they’d still do their best to dodge the taxman. There is no big picture with us for some reason.

Perhaps that has something to do with liking our neighbours, and despising the ridiculously high taxes we have to pay only to get rightly buggered in return. ;)

Never forget, the end goal is zero firearms of any type.

S.I. No. 187/1972 - Firearms (Temporary Custody) Order - Firearms seized

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 - Firearm types restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

S.I. No. 420/2019 - Magazine ban, ammo storage & transport restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2023 - 2023 Firearm Ban (retroactive to 8 years prior)

Yet another high court challenge over hotel quarantine! :D

And this on the foot of there being no available beds currently since the addition of the extra countries to the detention list.

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 - Firearm types restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2023 - 2023 Firearm Ban (retroactive to 8 years prior)

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

otmmyboy2 wrote: »
    Yet another high court challenge over hotel quarantine! :D

And this on the foot of there being no available beds currently since the addition of the extra countries to the detention list.

TIFCO have no hotels in Cork or Shannon, so they are busing the unclean to Dublin

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Perhaps that has something to do with liking our neighbours, and despising the ridiculously high taxes we have to pay only to get rightly buggered in return. ;)

That's a natural inbred gene in the Irish race, from 600/800/1000 years of oppression and occupation. We DO NOT like being told what to do by figures in authority.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Take it for what its's worth or whether you agree with her politics.But this is worth watching and following up on your level?

I have seen some fair nonsense on this forum , but that is seriously right up there. Absolute total crap. And it's targeting one of the most straight up people in Irish public life.

Disgraceful.

Wow, did the last 200 years of human development get lost in the post or something? Vaccines work. They are our only hope of getting out of this mess at the moment in any sort of timeframe. Do people want this to go on longer than it needs to?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone

civdef wrote: »
    Wow, did the last 200 years of human development get lost in the post or something? Vaccines work. They are our only hope of getting out of this mess at the moment in any sort of timeframe. Do people want this to go on longer than it needs to?

Better do like the Germans are doing and approach Putin directly for the Sputnik V vaccine the Russians are making, and ignoring the car crash EU effort then. The fact its only 50% as effective as the other shouldn't bother anyone.

tudderone wrote: »
    Better do like the Germans are doing and approach Putin directly for the Sputnik V vaccine the Russians are making, and ignoring the car crash EU effort then. The fact its only 50% as effective as the other shouldn't bother anyone.

The facts that Russia are trying to leverage vaccine prestige abroad without managing to protect their own population, the fact that they sent Slovakia vaccines that didn't match the description, and the fact that they took the hump bigstyle when Slovakia got them analyzed independently should bother everyone.

If Sputnik passes EMEA approval, and is produced outside Russia, I'd be happy to take it - not otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,168 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Question: 2 Adults and 2 children living in a house. Only 1 adult vaccinated. Where do the children and other adult go if vaccinated person wants another vaccinated over for chat?. As this is a penal provision, staying in the house can get you sent to jail and if you leave the house you are in breach of the travel restrictions, also could get you sent to jail and even if you only go to the garden this could get you jailed.

I'd agree with Cass's interpretation above. Unless all people are vaccinated in the house, they are left with the only paired household option.
    Vaccinated person could attend the other persons house I suppose.

Maybe, in the very beginning, when the virus was predicted to be significantly more easily spread and deadly. But if that was the case why were our borders open then but largely closed now...

But the virus has been shown to be easily spread. Not sure what you are referring to here with the "now we know stuff".
    The Irish border has been a farce.
    Now we know lockdowns are not the best solution, nor are they warranted on the scale and longevity they have been used here.
    Well implemented lockdowns have been shown to be very effective.
    But people taking the mick with them, easily undermine it and a small group ignoring it continues to extend it for everyone.

If Sputnik passes EMEA approval, and is produced outside Russia, I'd be happy to take it - not otherwise.
    I wouldn't touch one produced by Russia. Nothing to do with a conspiracy theory that was will posion the world, put mind control substances in it or whatever. I simply don't trust any aspect of Russain industry to have remotely sufficient quality control.
    I believe they'd be going to market regardless of the efficacy.

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    I'd agree with Cass's interpretation above.
    What the s**tballs :eek: :eek: :eek: :D
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

But people taking the mick with them, easily undermine it and a small group ignoring it continues to extend it for everyone.

Yeah, but its been a year now or just over of house arrest, people are pig sick of it at this stage, i certainly am. Haven't fired a shot in 13 months or something, cutting my own hair, cannot buy a pair of shoes or a shirt, having to wear a mask like one of the James Younger gang everytime you go anywhere, work dried up.

The lockdown should be one element in this pandemic, along with the vaccine, but a complete balls has been made of that by the eu, and not much sign of it getting better, third wave expected mid summer. Is it any wonder people are getting bolshie ?

Cass wrote: »
    What the s**tballs :eek: :eek: :eek: :D

:D

Yeah, but its been a year now or just over of house arrest, people are pig sick of it at this stage, i certainly am. Haven't fired a shot in 13 months or something, cutting my own hair, cannot buy a pair of shoes or a shirt, having to wear a mask like one of the James Younger gang everytime you go anywhere, work dried up.

I fully get that it's a sickener. I think some of the measures have been handled poorly. Some are pointless, when obvius measure have been avoided.
    But I also think that people flaunting the rules from the start have directly contributed to the extended lockdown for others. Ironically these are likely to be the people complaining loudest. You know the type I mean. Doing at the please. Refusing to wash their hands or sanitise. Real modern day rebels.

(to be clear, not aimed at anyone here, probably obvious but wanted that to be crystal)

.......and not much sign of it getting better, third wave expected mid summer.
    Fourth, not to be pedantic.

Feisar wrote: »
    That lockdown is the correct option.
    My objection is not simply to be a voice for opposition. This is the third, i believe, instance in as many months of why the lockdown in its current format is pointless or simply failed.

Cass wrote: »
    My objection is not simply to be a voice for opposition. This is the third, i believe, instance in as many months of why the lockdown in its current format is pointless or simply failed.

Yes. Mary lou said as much, no point having lockdowns when there are 10,000 a week flying in, often from places like Brazil, which is completely over run with the virus. Anyone on these flights tested ? Mean while the aussy's get it.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9468285/Australia-wont-open-borders-vaccinated-against-Covid.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,762 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

But I also think that people flaunting the rules from the start have directly contributed to the extended lockdown for others. Ironically these are likely to be the people complaining loudest. You know the type I mean. Doing at the please. Refusing to wash their hands or sanitise. Real modern day rebels.

I've to agree with Mellor on the above point. If people were properly following lockdown rules we wouldn't have anywhere near 500 cases per day or whatever it is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,923 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I have seen some fair nonsense on this forum , but that is seriously right up there. Absolute total crap. And it's targeting one of the most straight up people in Irish public life.

Disgraceful.

I couldn't agree more but I had to sit through the whole 9 minutes of misguided waffle to try and find out who was the straight up person she (they) were targeting and am still none the wiser.

No way am I watching that rubbish again, what is wrong with people like her?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

But the virus has been shown to be easily spread. Not sure what you are referring to here with the "now we know stuff".
    The Irish border has been a farce.

WHO reported the mortality rate at 3.4% in March 2020.
    Similarly an R0 of 4 was reported.
    There have been very few suspected cases of transmission by surface, which was said to be a problem for up to 48 hours after the fact, and in the air if an infected person had sneezed for up to 24 hours.

There was a lot of speculation and inflated sense of danger at the start, statistically now we can see that.

We have a lot more concrete idea of the realities of covid now, so our strategy should be based on that reality, not still stuck in the past.

And what makes you think Ireland could ever achieve such?
    All evidence to the contrary of the past 13 months included.

Sweden being a prime example, with relatively low excess mortality, mental impact, good economic performance, etc and still the main part of their covid strategy is recommendations, not house arrest and draconian laws backed up by penal provisions.

Our strategy has evidently not worked, regardless of reason.
    So why can we not accept it as a failed gambit and move onto to something that could?

Everyone has "lockdown fatigue" as it now seems to be known, people are stressed, lonely, miserable, etc, so why not adopt a more Swedish model and change the message to something milder than the incessant warble coming from the government currently.

If the stick is not working(which by your own writing I think you agree with) then why not remove it and try something, anything different, rather than doubling down on the draconian and attempting to make segments of society (the young, the old, the rich, the poor, the un-vaccinated, the vaccinated, etc) turn against each other?

Even the WHO have come out against having lockdowns as the primary method of covid control.

Now with the recent news of possible transmissions including shopping being 55.8% seemingly I think that should call into question the other mandatory measures, ie masks, distancing, screens, visors, capacity limits, etc for review, since they evidently are not particularly effective.

The FT's stringency index even shows Ireland as having the most stringent level of lockdown starting on March 28 until mid June, then back up in October, and all the time since absenting a few days in December.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,762 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

The FT's stringency index even shows Ireland as having the most stringent level of lockdown starting on March 28 until mid June, then back up in October, and all the time since absenting a few days in December.

With respect, stringent me hole.

Hundreds at loads of funerals, parties galore, shebeens, visiting houses etc.

WHO reported the mortality rate at 3.4% in March 2020.
    Similarly an R0 of 4 was reported.
    There have been very few suspected cases of transmission by surface, which was said to be a problem for up to 48 hours after the fact, and in the air if an infected person had sneezed for up to 24 hours.

There was a lot of speculation and inflated sense of danger at the start, statistically now we can see that.
    The WHO estimated R0 to be 2.5. Other estimates had it higher. I don’t think that number has been shown to be unrealistic for built up areas.
    R0 is is not the same as the current R number.

And even it the R0 is not as high as initial thought, that doesn’t mean it isn’t easily spread. An R0 of 2.5 isn’t the benchmark for highly contagious.
    Previous coronaviruses has R0’s of around 0.5. Corona-19 is quite obviously passed much more readily. That’s why previous virus went away relatively easily.

Ireland has actually done well compared to other similar countries, except for the times when we relaxed precautions. If we had avoided losing the head around Christmas we'd have done really well.

I am sick to f*** of lockdown. As soon as anyone shows me an alternative that doesn't involve burying thousands of vulnerable people, I'll be all for it.

The only one I see is universal vaccinations - but a lot of the same people against lockdowns, masks etc are against vaccinations!

BattleCorp wrote: »
    With respect, stringent me hole.

Hundreds at loads of funerals, parties galore, shebeens, visiting houses etc.

Stringent looking at the regulations in place, read the explainer if you haven't already.
    The WHO estimated R0 to be 2.5. Other estimates had it higher. I don’t think that number has been shown to be unrealistic for built up areas.
    R0 is is not the same as the current R number.
    But that R0 reported was overall, not urban, thus the overall R0 is lower by a decent bit.
    And even it the R0 is not as high as initial thought, that doesn’t mean it isn’t easily spread. An R0 of 2.5 isn’t the benchmark for highly contagious.
    Previous coronaviruses has R0’s of around 0.5. Corona-19 is quite obviously passed much more readily. That’s why previous virus went away relatively easily.

I said "more easily spread", not easily spread, indicating the difference of the initial expectation of spread vs what we now know.
    Ireland has actually done well compared to other similar countries, except for the times when we relaxed precautions. If we had avoided losing the head around Christmas we'd have done really well.

Disagree wholeheartedly.
    If their initial lockdown worked so well, when they had the time to come up with other methods then why are we on lockdown 3 or 4, I dunno which at this point.
    Same question again, if any of the lockdowns worked why did we need subsequent ones?
    Why are we still sitting here after over a literal year of lavish spending with a health service which is still incapable of handling surges in hospitalisations?

Why when it has become clear that, regardless of the reason(disobedience, lack of cohesive messaging, contradictions, etc) lockdowns have not been effective in that as soon as they are released in any way numbers shoot up again?
    Lockdowns should have been used to create some time to get the HSE in order and capable, instead they are still the go to, which is why we are here a year later and still in the most stringent and long lasting lockdowns in Europe!
    More than some EU countries combined.
    What lockdowns have been effective in doing has been killing the economy, racking up a huge increase in national debt, and committing every tax payer in Ireland, and their children, and likely grandchildren, to paying off that massive and still increasing debt.

How does that make lockdown in any way effective at beating covid?

Martin even said there was no strategy bar a string of lockdown, easing, lockdown until vaccinations were completed!
    How the hell is that a strategy, after over a year of time to think, plan, etc?!

That is literally the same stupidity seen with firearms regulation, knee jerk, and if that is ineffective knee jerk harder. :mad:
    I am sick to f*** of lockdown. As soon as anyone shows me an alternative that doesn't involve burying thousands of vulnerable people, I'll be all for it.

Given our method of counting includes "suspected" deaths and there have been some reports of a very low excess mortality in Ireland in 2020 vs previous years I'll be waiting until official figures are out before counting the thousands.

Uncountable will be the number of deaths which are a result of the government's mishandling of covid, the missed cancer treatments & diagnosis, scans, mental health declining, businesses failing, etc.
    The only one I see is universal vaccinations - but a lot of the same people against lockdowns, masks etc are against vaccinations!

Personally I'm not against vaccinations at all, however I am completely against forced vaccinations.

That includes denial of equal rights for unvaccinated vs vaccinated people, which is just a way to backdoor mandatory vaccinations, same as the PSC was for driving licences.

Bodily autonomy is a big thing and I cannot comprehend how mandatory vaccinations doesn't go against that.

And I use the term mandatory because I take it that is what you mean by universal.
    Are you planning on holding people down and forcing the needle into their arms?
    Or possibly you are ok with your taxes going to those who are willing to do that job?
    Or maybe you are just ok with the more insidious approach of slowly cutting off that segment of society until they are forced into it.

That is of course leaving aside the following issues around vaccinations which have never been addressed in a concrete manner:
    • Religious objections
    • Moral objections
    • Not being medically fit
    • Not being eligible
    • Vaccine supply problems
    • Efficacy of vaccines vs new variants
    • Pregnant women
    • Children, toddlers & babies

I think there are far too many issues around the above scenarios to just think mandatory vaccinations are a potential path to go down.

But that R0 reported was overall, not urban, thus the overall R0 is lower by a decent bit.
    By what basis do you think the R0 is lower by a decent bit?

There’s no such that as urban R0. Just the R0 for a virus. I said built up areas as initial outbreaks were in those areas and they better reflect an R0 scenario.

I said "more easily spread", not easily spread, indicating the difference of the initial expectation of spread vs what we now know.
    Similar to the above. What is this difference? How are you working that out?

Personally I'm not against vaccinations at all, however I am completely against forced vaccinations.

That includes denial of equal rights for unvaccinated vs vaccinated people, which is just a way to backdoor mandatory vaccinations, same as the PSC was for driving licences.

Bodily autonomy is a big thing and I cannot comprehend how mandatory vaccinations doesn't go against that.

I’m also fully against forced vaccines.
    People have bodily autonomy as you say. If people want to choose not to be vaccinated. They should be able to make that choice.

However, I don’t know how we can justify the idea that making that choice is not without consequence.

The Germans have made a complete and utter pigs ass of the whole thing themselves in Germany. Along with playing politics and trying a one size fits ll on the different Federal states>They are in another fine mess that is going to finish off Merkel and her party.:mad:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Meantime stateside ...Over 40% of the USMC are declining the vaccine, simply because this vacc in the US is released to use under emergency FDA legislation,and still only has experimental status...

WHAT is the status of all these vacs here in the EU ? Are they experimental? Approved with full testing,all known side effects researched etc? Guess not if some can develop blood clots?

I'm not anti-Vac pers se, the benefits are100% there for humanity, but if you consider how long it took to develop the polio vac under optimum time conditions and clinical trials that lasted 4to 5 years, and this is developed and being sent out within 12 months is kind of on the extreme side of miraculous...So excuse me if I have some doubts that this is wholly and fully 99% safe. Maybe I'll sit it out until gen 2 comes along.

Seven states in the US have dropped all mandatory State Covid restrictions, and are leaving it to business to enforce if they wish, and their death rates are dropping... The Great Fauci is baffled as to why this is happening,while other states like NYC are still level if not climbing.

Just seen in the mejia that the Johnson and Johnson one shot vaccine is ..........causing bloodclots.

By what basis do you think the R0 is lower by a decent bit?

Than the initial estimation of 4?
    Several articles note that with a large variance of preventative measures countries are seeing R0 of between 0.7 and 1.9.
    Compared to 4 that is a decent bit lower in my view.
    There’s no such that as urban R0. Just the R0 for a virus. I said built up areas as initial outbreaks were in those areas and they better reflect an R0 scenario.

Your use of "I don’t think that number has been shown to be unrealistic for built up areas" leading to my referring to that as urban R0.
    Similar to the above. What is this difference? How are you working that out?

Easily vs more easily?

As I stated above:
    "the difference of the initial expectation of spread vs what we now know."
    "There have been very few suspected cases of transmission by surface, which was said to be a problem for up to 48 hours after the fact, and in the air if an infected person had sneezed for up to 24 hours.".

I’m also fully against forced vaccines.
    People have bodily autonomy as you say. If people want to choose not to be vaccinated. They should be able to make that choice.

However, I don’t know how we can justify the idea that making that choice is not without consequence.

So in the one sentence you are fully against forced vaccines, but the other bolded are you implying they should suffer consequences for their decision?

If so which consequences?

Not entirely sure how you can reconcile the two, either it is optional, mandatory, or some coercive middle ground.

• Advertisement

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    The Germans have made a complete and utter pigs ass of the whole thing themselves in Germany. Along with playing politics and trying a one size fits ll on the different Federal states>They are in another fine mess that is going to finish off Merkel and her party.:mad:

Whoever would have thought the Germans, known for their logic and efficiency, would make a town-halls of it ? So thats the Germans and the eu. Gawd help us.

Advertisement