Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lidl - recommendations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Bought those Madeleines from the French range after reading the recommendations here, I sometimes feel like I'm being gaslighted in these threads :confused:
    They're a bit too greasy and remind me of any other shop-bought madeira cake.

I'd recommend the zabaglione and walnut ice cream from the Italiamo range, only got to try it the other night after having bought it a few weeks ago. It's very nice for a cheap own-brand ice cream.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,757 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I suppose they'll be gone any day now but the blood oranges have been lovely this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

Noticed a new Deluxe Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate... its absolutely yummy.
    Usually buy the kids hot chocolate in the yellow tub but have not seen in ages.
    Wasnt brave enough to try the chilli flavoured one thou !

• Registered Users Posts: 17,954 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Looking for baileys on offer for Paddys day, then saw the 2.50 off the deluxe irish cream on the plus app. Way nicer and creamier than Baileys and always under €10 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,954 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I suppose they'll be gone any day now but the blood oranges have been lovely this year.

I got these but they just looked like regular oranges when I cut one. Lovely though

• Advertisement

rob316 wrote: »
    I got these but they just looked like regular oranges when I cut one. Lovely though

They vary.
    Some are very red, others not so much.
    Some are coloured red on the outside, most aren't.

I'd say we've gotten through about 20 nets of them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

This might sound weird, but does anyone know if Lidl do tomato puree anymore?

On the blood oranges, I plan on making this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THclPqe7mcc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Cienciano wrote: »

I think I saw tubes of it but I am not 100% on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Yes bought some today

• Registered Users Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Just in Clonee there today and I see that the Cola Zero has been changed to the "Cola XX" version that's been in the UK for at least the last 3 years or so. Interestingly it's no longer "zero" since it's now 0.8g of sugar per 100ml.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭confusticated

My local Lidl hasn't had tomato puree since Christmas. No idea why.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Comerman

My local Lidl hasn't had tomato puree since Christmas. No idea why.

Got one last week here in Kilkenny

The new range of meals are good, Fit Foods do them. I tried the clean Chicken Curry with brown rice, it was good but quite spicy. Only 386 cals (approx). I picked up the red Thai Chilli one with brown rice earlier on. Handy to have if you are in a hurry or having a lunch for work. They don't taste like typical factory made meals, they taste healthy and flavoursome.

Just to add they are that little bit more expensive but it's worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭patspost

Last year I purchased fresh figs from theFruit & Veg section in my local Lidl.
    They were delicious.
    I don’t think I’ve seen them since.
    Has anybody seen them recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

The Tempranillo La Mancha is superb for €6.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

Wiki says, "In the Northern Hemisphere, fresh figs are in season from August through to early October" so I think you'll have to wait a bit :)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_fig

• Registered Users Posts: 28,793 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

tangy wrote: »
    Wiki says, "In the Northern Hemisphere, fresh figs are in season from August through to early October" so I think you'll have to wait a bit :)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_fig
    "In season" hasn't been a factor in fruit/veg availability for a very long time! :(

(Disclaimer, I know nothing whatsoever about figs, so they might actually be an exception - but I doubt it somehow)

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    "In season" hasn't been a factor in fruit/veg availability for a very long time! :(

Certain things are still seasonal.
    Blood oranges and Seville oranges are very seasonal, for example.
    Fresh Corn on the cob, too. Fresh cherries.
    Probably some more that I can't think of, too.

But, I know what you are saying - strawberries in November, anyone??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Fresh cherries in Lidl for the last while. Always in season somewhere would probably be more correct.

Eamon Ryan must like fresh cherries, don't hear him grumble about their carbon footprint air miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,867 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

But, I know what you are saying - strawberries in November, anyone??

I stop buying them in November, I don't even consider those other varieties to be strawberries.

Usually the first real strawberries of the year come in from the Netherlands into LIDL, something to look forward to :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I stop buying them in November, I don't even consider those other varieties to be strawberries.

Usually the first real strawberries of the year come in from the Netherlands into LIDL, something to look forward to :)

If they aren't from Wexford, they aren't strawberries :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Has anyone tried the new lo-cal ice cream?

Addle wrote: »
    Has anyone tried the new lo-cal ice cream?

The comments on Facebook were really good. I don't eat ice cream so haven't tried it.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭patspost

I got some fresh figs in local veg shop the other day, lovely.
    I just need a few rolls then I can try and figure out the last great mystery����

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Lidl are doing Spanish tapas since last Thursday. The aoili is fab, and they have bags of little frozen ham and cheese croquettes that are very passable (the ham should be saltier, but I won't complain for the price and convenience!).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Faith wrote: »
    Lidl are doing Spanish tapas since last Thursday. The aoili is fab, and they have bags of little frozen ham and cheese croquettes that are very passable (the ham should be saltier, but I won't complain for the price and convenience!).

Got the croquettes this morning but no sign of aioli :cry:

Really nice jars of chick peas and black eyed beans in the Spanish specials atm.
    Also decent whole olives and some Greek one's in big jars, too.
    I also like the olive oil in the rectangular tins from Portugal.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

We bought that olive oil a year or two ago (pre-Covid, anyhow) and it's very good indeed. Tin opener to get the last of it out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,896 ✭✭✭thesandeman

I haven't bought them but skin on fries like the ALDI ones are available in LIDL now. The may be more expensive at €1.69 for 500g.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Tried the ocean sea frozen chunky breaded cod fillets (65% cod) Very decent and handy from the freezer - a 4 pack for €3ish euro iirc

Good replacement for the frozen buttermilk fish burgers that have disappeared from Aldi :(

Advertisement