Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gardener's Delight Tomatoes

• 13-04-2021 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭

I was gifted a few of these plants last week and unfortunately I know nothing about growing them so need a lot of advice. I need to move them into bigger pots as they are showing a little root underneath. They are living in the kitchen at the moment. I don't have a greenhouse and don't know how tall they'll grow. I've just watched a few Youtube videos but they all mention greenhouses and heat, neither of which I have.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Gardeners delight will grow well outdoors without a greenhouse. It’s a very easy tomato.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Hillybilly4

They are usually grown as a pruned cordon so they will get to about 1.5m tall. You can always stop them sooner for a shorter plant.
    If they're destined to be grown outdoors then you'll need to keep re-potting them into bigger and bigger pots until the risk of frost is past. Where I live that is mid-May.
    They will need to be gradually hardened off (out in the day, in at night etc) before finally planting outside in a sunny, sheltered spot.
    This is a good site for info and advice https://www.gardenfocused.co.uk/vegetable/tomato-outdoor/variety-gardeners-delight.php

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

They are usually grown as a pruned cordon so they will get to about 1.5m tall. You can always stop them sooner for a shorter plant.
    If they're destined to be grown outdoors then you'll need to keep re-potting them into bigger and bigger pots until the risk of frost is past. Where I live that is mid-May.
    They will need to be gradually hardened off (out in the day, in at night etc) before finally planting outside in a sunny, sheltered spot.
    This is a good site for info and advice https://www.gardenfocused.co.uk/vegetable/tomato-outdoor/variety-gardeners-delight.php

Great information there and just what I needed, many thanks. That's a brilliant link too, loads for me to learn. Wish me luck! :)

So here I am in September. I've harvested a total of 6 red Gardener's Delight. The plants are laden down now with loads of green tomatoes, I'm thrilled with the result but is it too late to expect them to ripen now or should I just take them indoors now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

We took our green tomatoes indoors about two weeks ago. Wrapped individually in newspaper. Put them in a box and placed an apple on top of them. Over 60% now fully ripe.

• Advertisement

Thanks Splash, looks like the way to go, so. Not sure I'm looking forward to wrapping a ton of cherry tomatoes in newspapers though! Oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Took out another batch today and almost all of them are red. I notice that we are also getting about a half dozen per day ripening outdoors.

I saw one just pinking up today. These are the first toms I've ever grown and I'm sooooo happy with the numbers on the plants. Just.....need.....some....RED!

Advertisement