Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.Buzz

Options
  • 11-04-2021 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

I like the look of the id buzz for my next car but having driven diesels for years and years I'm terrified simply due to the thought of having to plug in my car to charge it must be an awful pain ,so to all you ev people do you sometimes wish you could just turn back the clock and rock on up to the local petrol station and even drop €20 into your tank and be on your way and not wake up in the morning with the feeling of absolute dread that you forgot to charge your car

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

forestgirl wrote: »
    I like the look of the id buzz for my next car but having driven diesels for years and years I'm terrified simply due to the thought of having to plug in my car to charge it must be an awful pain ,so to all you ev people do you sometimes wish you could just turn back the clock and rock on up to the local petrol station and even drop €20 into your tank and be on your way and not wake up in the morning with the feeling of absolute dread that you forgot to charge your car

Guarantee 99% of those who drive EVs should never wish to go back to petrol/Diesel.

Plugging in to charge takes seconds, not sure why you're getting so wound up about it. Do other trivial tasks tend to terrify you in your day to day life?

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭forestgirl

Guarantee 99% of those who drive EVs should never wish to go back to petrol/Diesel.

Plugging in to charge takes seconds, not sure why you're getting so wound up about it. Do other trivial tasks tend to terrify you in your day to day life?

I thought the full charging takes a good few hours and you could stop off at a charger when travelling to get a quick charge but I just assumed even a quick charge like that could take at least 40mins? Correct me if I am wrong
    It's not like petrol or diesel in the way you can see if you have 100km left in tank you can travel 100km but from what I've read if you have 100km left in your electric car you may only be able to tr also depending on the colder weather

Why would I be wound up I only asked a question 🀔

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

I thought the full charging takes a good few hours and you could stop off at a charger when travelling to get a quick charge but I just assumed even a quick charge like that could take at least 40mins? Correct me if I am wrong
    It's not like petrol or diesel in the way you can see if you have 100km left in tank you can travel 100km but from what I've read if you have 100km left in your electric car you may only be able to tr also depending on the colder weather

Home charging is a bit like charging your phone at night. But would never choose to go back to petrol/diesel.

Our car is an eNiro, and depending on milage it's charged 1-2 times a week. (Normal commute is 80km round trip, uses about 20% battery - there is the odd 250km trip )

Car handles the night time charging and then its charged by the morning.. and preheated/cooled.

The range prediction is decent, and it adapts to conditions/driving history. So if it says 100km it's usually pretty accurate. The ones in the ice cars are extremely pessimistic and inaccurate. (An old car of mine I drove 25 miles with it at 0...)

When public charging, you only need to charge as much as you need, there is no minimum. We haven't had to charge publically much, mainly due to covid yet but the only time we only needed about 10% more to get home and we were stopped for about 10 minutes.

Why would I be wound up I only asked a question ��

Full charging at home takes many hours yes, while you sleep mostly. Zero effort involved.

You can stop off at a charger and get a quick charge (depends how much range you need). If your battery is low enough, you could get 150-200km in 20 minutes. Not as fast as a petrol station, but then again i've owned an EV for a few years now and i've certainly saved time not having to visit a petrol station vs charging at home and a few 20-30 minute fast charges. Quite often when I fast charge I grab a cup of tea and a pastry and visit the toilet, and by that time i'm actually charging the car more than I need.

100km of range generally means pretty much 100km of range. Same as a petrol/diesel car really, I wouldn't run either down to 0.

It seemed you were wound up by your terminology; "terrified", "absolute dread". All over plugging something in.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Steve_hooo

Are the final specs out or is it still a concept car?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭odoliam

Why would I be wound up I only asked a question ��

Hi

Practically, this is what you'll do:
    1. Arrive home and immediately plug in the car - seconds, as often the charger has the cable attached, so not even fumble about looking for the cable in the boot etc
    2. Car charges (can control time, charge % target etc in many cars now via app - set & forget)
    3. Need the car for a quick trip to the shop? - car won't drive while still plugged in, so you can't make that mistake. Unplug & off you go.
    4. Come home and repeat plug in

Note: most EV's will with 1 charge cover the average persons mileage for up to 1wk (an getting better all the time) so in practice, you only need to plug in 1/wk or less but this is exactly the same need as petrol/diesel - watch the % battery left and plug in when at a certain %

Some people will be plugging in daily (due to their own worries that are completely unfounded - e.g. the regular €10-20 top up) and others will wait until sub-10% (or sub-0% :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭cannco253

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a35940134/vw-id-buzz-us-on-sale-date/

2. Car charges (can control time, charge % target etc in many cars now via app - set & forget)
    Eh not really at the moment with our ID.4 but should get sorted by VW

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

I plug in my car overnight (which takes 2 seconds) about once per week or more often if I know I have a particularly long drive coming up, and beyond that I never, ever have to think about range. Honestly it's way more convenient than driving a diesel and having to worry about getting to petrol stations regularly.

If you live somewhere that you can't charge at home, or if you're travelling from one end of the country to the other daily, then an EV is probably not be for you, but honestly you'd be very hard pressed to find an electric car owner who's done the research and decided to buy one, who's then regretted that decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Looks cool, I'd probably buy it.
    For a time I had the original VW bus. It was a pretty crap drive compared to cars but still such a cool thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I love the look of it. I was hoping that this would have come out to replace our Sharan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭forestgirl

biko wrote: »
    Looks cool, I'd probably buy it.
    For a time I had the original VW bus. It was a pretty crap drive compared to cars but still such a cool thing.

It looks absolutely amazing, now thats what I call a car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

It will be my next car.
    In regards to the original question, at this stage with the range on these cars you have nothing to worry about. It was only in the early Leaf etc you can concerns.
    THe fact you end up with a full tank every morning you leave your house is a huge bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

Early Leaf driver here and to answer you question no i wouldn't go back just for the sake of a 10-15min fill up.
    Also love the CONCEPT version of the BUZZ but it'll likely be another 2 years before we know what the real version will be at best :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

Stealthirl wrote: »
    Early Leaf driver here and to answer you question no i wouldn't go back just for the sake of a 10-15min fill up.
    Also love the CONCEPT version of the BUZZ but it'll likely be another 2 years before we know what the real version will be at best :(

It will be out next year, supply will be the issue
    The van version will be 2022

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Those photos make it look much more mainstream and more like a T5/6 transporter than a cool 60’s combi throwback. It could be down to being a white panel and a 2 tone paint job will bring it back to life but the front looks like it has lost its mojo.

The buzz was going to be our next EV, I am not so sure now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

krissovo wrote: »
    Those photos make it look much more mainstream and more like a T5/6 transporter than a cool 60’s combi throwback. It could be down to being a white panel and a 2 tone paint job will bring it back to life but the front looks like it has lost its mojo.

The buzz was going to be our next EV, I am not so sure now.

I really hope that isn’t it and there’s a bunch of camo cladding, because that looks as drab as our sharan. White van man dreary.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,840 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I really hope that isn’t it and there’s a bunch of camo cladding, because that looks as drab as our sharan. White van man dreary.

I suspect the real Buzz will end up being quite normal looking some it'll inevitably be based on a commercial van

The new T7 multivan looks pretty good tbh, especially with the 2 tone paint job, but it doesn't hold a candle to the Buzz

https://www.carwow.co.uk/volkswagen/news/5337/new-volkswagen-t7-multivan-caravelle-replacement-price-specs-release-date

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Given how close the ID.3 and ID.4 were to their concept car mock ups, it's a little disappointing to see another "leaked" image of the buzz that's way off the concept vehicle.

https://insideevs.com/news/517915/vw-id-buzz-cargo-rendering/

volkswagen-id-buzz-production-rendering.webp

• Advertisement

Yeah that's just the guys at inside EVs playing with Photoshop, must have been a slow news day

It's hard to say which way VW will go, they got such a great response to the concept that they'll probably try to keep as much as they can

But ultimately it's a commercial van first and hippy wagon second, so practically will win out and I suspect they'll keep it fairly conventional

My thinking is the front will end up more van like bit they'll hopefully keep a lot of the styling along the sides and back the same

Some more spy shots of one of the test vehicles, looks like a lot of the camo has come off

I was a bit meh on the exterior at first but it's growing on me. I think they've tried to keep it in line with the current ID vehicles and keep some of the stuff that made the concept so great

Interior looks lifted straight from the ID.3 or 4, same binnacle and centre screen.

I'm hoping they redesign the center console a bit to make better use of the space. The centre console in the ID.4 manages to have less useful storage than my old Auris from 2007, despite not needing a gear stick or handbrake 😬

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭eagerv

Pity they have had to move the front seats so far back, sort of defeats the old cavernous interior for its size. Damn safety..😁

Yeah it looks smaller than I expected, I thought it was something transporter sized but it seems shorter than that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭daheff

Any word on price/battery size yet?

No word on price but it seems to have the same wheelbase as the ID.4, so presumably it'll have the same max battery size which is 77kWh useable at the moment

There was some rumour a while ago about an ID.4 with a 95kWh battery, maybe they're banking on an increase in energy density

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭DermoMIO

No updates on this but the future Mrs got me a 40 piece build your own 1963 VW Bus. The closest I’ll come to a new or original one 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭whippet

That is lovely

here's my Scalextric version !! Which of course is all electric

Volkswagen is going to launch the ID. Buzz on March 9, deliveries won't start before Q3 2022 in Europe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,265 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Is it the 9 March? Or have the US media balls up the date

3-9-22 =3rd September in Europe!!

Advertisement