Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Boggers Log

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Just name the time and we'll make it happen :) great running

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

healy1835 wrote: »
    Just name the time and we'll make it happen :) great running

I think he asked you to pace him so he could avail of that downhill wind assisted loop you use

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Just catching up here, Bogger. Jaysus, well done on that 19:15. Despite all the moaning you must be in serious shape :D . You've left me a long way behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

That's impressive for an 'ol Lemon :D. Congrats !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Been really struggling the last few weeks, no structure, busy at work and a massive back flare up have made it a real drudge. Only coming out of it this week and the back has only now started to calm down. I’ve been stretching twice a day and swimming in the sea every day to try and help. The entire back has been as tight as a big ball of dry tagliatelle and it’s also affected my hips glutes and calfs. I’ve had to dial back the sessions and mileage. Managed to keep the show on the road but I found it physically and mentally tough!!

21: 4 miles @ 9.18
    22: 4m last two at tempo (7.17 & 6.35)
    23: 4m @ 9.58
    24: 4m @ 8.58
    25: 6 miles including 7x400m @ 6.30 off 400 metre jog plus 1 x 800m @ 6.30
    26: 5k 9.47
    27: 5m @ 9.23
    28: 7m including (2x2 mile @ 7.00 off 2 mins)
    29: 5k @ 10.08
    30: 4m @ 9.35
    31: 5k @ 8.55
    1: 5k @ 9.00
    2: 10.5m @ 10.22
    3: 4 @ 8.29
    4: 8m including (5 x 1 mile @ 7.00 off 90 secs
    5: 4m @ 8.33
    6: 5m last two at tempo (7.12 & 6.35)
    7: easy 5k
    8: easy 5 m
    9: 7m including 5 x800m @ 6.30 off 90 sec
    10: 4m @ 10.15

In other news:

I’m starting to feel like a dinosaur in my own house. It started off innocuously enough but has been getting progressively worse! I haven’t noticed that Connemara has been recently infiltrated by Cockney or Yardee gangs so I’m not entirely sure where my teenage kids are picking up the lingo but it’s doing my head in!

I first noticed it when my middle lad started saying I was “toxic” when we were having minor disagreements, and I got the inference that it was a mild insult so let it go. Then things started to be “dope”, no not a thick eejit or some relaxing illegal narcotic but apparently “dope” is fun or cool.

I got a call the other evening from him, “Dad can you soup me”? Me. Pause, “whaddya on about soup for”? “Jesus Dad can you swoop me from the pitch” Me. Nothing. “God sake Dad can you pick me up from the pitch?”. Me. “I’m not a feckin bald eagle for Christ sake, speak English I’ll be there in a few minutes”. Where the hell do they pick this crap up living in the arsehole of Connemara!

We had another little disagreement yesterday morning and he appears to have moved on from “toxic” as he called me “jarvis”, I asked what the bloody hell that meant only to be told to look it up if I didn’t know. I did. Still none the wiser. Anyone?

My daughter also appears to have been inculcated into some gang as I was explaining something or other to her she said “that’s cap fam”! She might as well have been speaking pidgin Mongolian but apparently she was telling me I was full of ****!

I rather bewilderingly now also know that if something is “sick/sic” it doesn’t need medical attention but it’s cool, and she’s got all the “tea” doesn’t refer to a connoisseur of Earl grey or Da Hong-Po but means that someone’s got all the gossip!!!

Bring back Miley and Glenroe and “how’s she cuttin” :)

Anyway the worlds gone mad when some lad on YouTube can make 10’s of millions by having people watching him play video games, in my day that was a useless lazy bast@rd!!!

Anyway I’m hoping to knock out some sic sessions in the next few weeks :)

TbL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Good to see you back :) Haha my son actually thinks he is one of those said Youtubers(without the money)and has developed a very strange accent & lots of American words...we have learnt to ignore it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

http://m.acronymsandslang.com/definition/115751/JARVIS-meaning.html

There ya go!! Another meaning for it is your Jarvis Cocker i.e you’re a Cock which is the one I’d say your lad was referencing!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

The internet has given us a lot of joy.......it has also inflicted a lot of hardship on us :)

OOnegative wrote: »
    http://m.acronymsandslang.com/definition/115751/JARVIS-meaning.html

There ya go!! Another meaning for it is your Jarvis Cocker i.e you’re a Cock which is the one I’d say your lad was referencing!!!

Thanks bruh, I’d say you’re right, he won’t be feeling too lit when I get my hands on him later :)

TbL

Thanks bruh, I’d say you’re right, he won’t be feeling too lit when I get my hands on him later :)

TbL

https://pc.net/slang/meaning/brah

I’ve been told by the young fella it’s ‘brah’ now not bruh!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

TBL spilling the tea as usual.

(I've 18&21 Yr old daughters)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,418 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Youre right C, everything is now upside down. All we can do is keep doing what we do best, like paying for all the crap they buy so those youtubers can get rich.

The back can’t have been too bad if you got out every day, unlike me recently. What caused it - running. faster than usual? :)

Murph_D wrote: »
    Youre right C, everything is now upside down. All we can do is keep doing what we do best, like paying for all the crap they buy so those youtubers can get rich.

The back can’t have been too bad if you got out every day, unlike me recently. What caused it - running. faster than usual? :)

Indeed D! I paid €70 for a hoodie with some YouTubers initials on it, same in plain would have cost me fiver in Pennys!!!!

Back was bad but running didn’t make it much worse so I waddled a few miles on the worst days. The only thing I can think of (coz I don’t fall over pulling up my britches:)) is the magic carpets given they have no orthotics.

Good to see you recovering, sounded like a pinched muscle to me?

TbL

Where was the Greg Louganis impression C?

Where was the Greg Louganis impression C?

:):)

End of my road is a dead end B and there’s a small pier there. (Pointe) Never any boats, water very clean and it provides a bit of shelter if it’s rough. Kids love jumping off it too

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Hey, I see you've signed up to Antrim to have a crack at @ 1:29.

I've the same goal, have you decided what plan you'll be using?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭lulublue22

In other news:

I’m starting to feel like a dinosaur in my own house. It started off innocuously enough but has been getting progressively worse! I haven’t noticed that Connemara has been recently infiltrated by Cockney or Yardee gangs so I’m not entirely sure where my teenage kids are picking up the lingo but it’s doing my head in!

I first noticed it when my middle lad started saying I was “toxic” when we were having minor disagreements, and I got the inference that it was a mild insult so let it go. Then things started to be “dope”, no not a thick eejit or some relaxing illegal narcotic but apparently “dope” is fun or cool.

I got a call the other evening from him, “Dad can you soup me”? Me. Pause, “whaddya on about soup for”? “Jesus Dad can you swoop me from the pitch” Me. Nothing. “God sake Dad can you pick me up from the pitch?”. Me. “I’m not a feckin bald eagle for Christ sake, speak English I’ll be there in a few minutes”. Where the hell do they pick this crap up living in the arsehole of Connemara!

We had another little disagreement yesterday morning and he appears to have moved on from “toxic” as he called me “jarvis”, I asked what the bloody hell that meant only to be told to look it up if I didn’t know. I did. Still none the wiser. Anyone?

My daughter also appears to have been inculcated into some gang as I was explaining something or other to her she said “that’s cap fam”! She might as well have been speaking pidgin Mongolian but apparently she was telling me I was full of ****!

I rather bewilderingly now also know that if something is “sick/sic” it doesn’t need medical attention but it’s cool, and she’s got all the “tea” doesn’t refer to a connoisseur of Earl grey or Da Hong-Po but means that someone’s got all the gossip!!!

Bring back Miley and Glenroe and “how’s she cuttin” :)

Anyway the worlds gone mad when some lad on YouTube can make 10’s of millions by having people watching him play video games, in my day that was a useless lazy bast@rd!!!

Anyway I’m hoping to knock out some sic sessions in the next few weeks :)

TbL

I feel your pain - oldest teenager has come out the other side of it youngest hasn’t started yet 😂

Hey, I see you've signed up to Antrim to have a crack at @ 1:29.

I've the same goal, have you decided what plan you'll be using?

Best of luck with it.

No plan as of yet but given my back issues it will probably have to be a tailor made one and the mileage won’t be huge. I won’t start specifically training for this until around the second week of May.

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 24 pmac180

Hello, I have a question. Did you get rid of your elbow issues. My elbow is really sore, stopping me doing pull ups or chin ups. Any advice, or stretching that worked for you. Cheers

pmac180 wrote: »
    Hello, I have a question. Did you get rid of your elbow issues. My elbow is really sore, stopping me doing pull ups or chin ups. Any advice, or stretching that worked for you. Cheers

This won’t be much help but you need to ascertain the source of the pain, for me I initially thought it was golfers elbow and spent weeks doing some stretches to relieve it and even ended up wearing a band just below my elbow to try and take some pressure off the joint. It didn’t really help as it transpired that the issue was coming from the bicep/tricep. The way I was holding my phone while lying on the couch in the evenings didn’t help either.

TbL

The stretch below is a basic one for golfers elbow

Stretch the affected arm out in front of you, with your palm facing upwards.
    Relax your wrist, allowing your hand to rest and fall back.
    Using your other hand, pull the affected hand back and towards your body.
    Hold the stretch for about 30 to 45 seconds.
    Have a break (about 30 seconds).
    Repeat three times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

I don't know if you've ever read any of the Ross O'Carroll Kelly books, but in one of the first ones, one of the characters (Fionn IIRC) remarked that in 50 years time everyone in Ireland will have an American accent. Eerily prophetic, it would seem :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Too much YouTube and it seems to be getting worse with the younger kiddies if mine are anything to go by, at least my 11yr old will watch Match of the Day, The Chase, GBBO etc.. but the younger pair all they want to watch is YouTube :rolleyes:

I don't know if you've ever read any of the Ross O'Carroll Kelly books, but in one of the first ones, one of the characters (Fionn IIRC) remarked that in 50 years time everyone in Ireland will have an American accent. Eerily prophetic, it would seem :pac:

One of ours was watching an Irish YouTuber the other day and when I commented on your man's quite obviously Irish accent he had no idea what I was talking about. Hadn't noticed at all! I don't know whether that's a good or a bad thing.

Another unstructured week finished and again a bit all over the place. On the plus side the back finally seems to have calmed down, the sea swim every day definitely helped but I ended up with ear infections that required a trip to the doctor!!! Is there a wwwbodyzone.ie where I could pick up spare parts!

Sun: 11 miles @ 8.35 over Seanadh Pheistin. Always enjoy these runs. My trusty Garmin 910xt, I’ve had it for 10 years gave up the ghost and went to Garmin heaven. That’s watch has been through the wars with me and I really liked it as it had a decent size screen which is great when your eyesight is as bad as mine.

Mon: early morning visit to the physioterrorist to try and release the back and glutes, ouch!!
    Easy 4 mile plod

Tue: 5 miles very easy with my daughter @ 10.36

Wed: back felt a bit better so I decided to try a session in Dangan. wu/cd 10x400m hard off 1 min. Was very happy with the way this went, paces for 400’s; 6.06, 6.15, 6.11, 6.03, 5.55, 5.58, 6.12, 6.17, 6.05, & 5.58.

7 miles in total

Thur: 5k recovery on local pitch

Fri: work buddy 10k, hadn’t run with my buddy since December! Enjoyed some adult company on this and the pace was a bit quicker. 6.4 miles @ 7.44

Sat: didn’t get up till 12.15, watched Stoke play out a boring nil all draw with Preston and was in no humour to run at all. Drove up to the pitch listened to some music and got 5k done @ 9.46

Sun: 9 miles very easy @ 10.30. Brought my daughter over to Seanadh Pheistin for the first time. Enjoyable plod in the dreary drizzle.

We’ve both entered the Antrim Coast Half at the end of August. I’d like to try for a sub 1.30 but I’ve an awful lot to do. The back is up and down and it’s hard to balance the sessions with increasing mileage. A couple of my runs every week are in the 10 min pace range so I’d probably need 16 weeks and a bit of luck with the back to have a chance of running 1.29 odd.

TbL

Ps. The attached pic shows the glute work I’ve been doing has paid off :)

Ah here ya haven’t resorted to botox injections in your hole!!! Hanging around with AMK to much!

Ah here ya haven’t resorted to botox injections in your hole!!! Hanging around with AMK to much!

The Connemara Cardasian :)

TbL

That arse air is the only thing keeping him afloat!

Haven’t really been enjoying running lately, the last few weeks I’ve had almost constant low grade pain and discomfort. It’s unusual in that it doesn’t get manifestly worse when I’m running. I’d to see the physio twice this week to try and keep the show on the road, I also doubled down on stretching and swam in the sea everyday to try and get some relief. To add to my collection of woes my IT band was like bubble wrap and I was getting stabbing pains in my left calf and under my toes on the left foot.

Mon: easy 5k post physioterrorist bashing, she’d to almost slide me off the table to get me out.

Tue: easy 10k @ 9.36

Wed: easy slow achey 5k plod around the local pitch which was very busy with lots of runners out. I’d usually be like a dog chasing a balloon with so many runners out but I just kept my head down and trundled along.

Thur: felt a bit better and had a very enjoyable day. Coffee in Salthill followed by a nice jog along the packed prom. Nearly fell of the prom and onto a flock of young wans sunbathing on Ladies beach :)

After the run I’d a quick dip in Blackrock and then sat on a bench in the sun in Salthill park with a cold Diet Coke and protein bar. Bliss!

5 miles easy.

Back at the physioterrorist, had the arse and back needled and some ultra sound on the tfl.

Fri: another easy 5k plod around the pitch, stabbing in foot almost gone and pain in calf and IT band more bearable. Decided if things didn’t get worse I’d do the Boards 5k TT. More sea swimming and stretching.

Sat: 4 miles easy in glorious sunshine and another swim at high tide. After cooking a ton of meat on the BBQ, I spent an hour stretching.

Sun: walked the dog just before 7, quick coffee and drove up the village a bit to get a decent out and back route for the 5k. No absailing, wind or gradient assistance for this one :)

Wore the magic carpets and calf sleeves, the shoes are a sizeable advantage but they feel bloody awkward with all sorts of noise emanating from them, at one stage I looked behind me as I thought I was being chased by a dog to only realise it was the bloody shoes!

I decided I was going all in and had three 6.10 miles and whatever was left in the tank planned. Was prepared for a spectacular blow up if it came as I’ve done very few sessions the last few weeks. Did about 1.5 mile warm up with some dynamic stretches and got stuck in.

The first half mile had me at sub 6 pace and I was worried that I’d shot my bolt but I was feeling ok, nothing from the foot but slight twinges from the calf. Hit mile 1 @ 6.02/3 and tried to focus on not bleeding too much time from mile 2, which came in at 6.07.

I turned back by now and was feeling some hurt, but knew that unless I’d an almighty blow up that I’d hit a decent time. Gave everything to mile 3 and was ecstatic to see 6.08 on the watch but I’d fcuk all left for the bit!

3.12 miles on Garmin and 19.02
    3.11 on Strava and 18.58

I’ll take either as both are big PB’s

Happy with that but its tempered somewhat by waiting to see how the body reacts in the coming days.

Stretched and had breakfast al fresco, what a day.

Well done to all Boardsies that completed the TT.

TbL

Like a dog chasing a balloon. Dog chasing your shoes. Haven’t lost your way with words anyway. :)

Amazing work. Can’t believe I had the cheek to (sort of) challenge you, but hopefully it contributed even a little bit to your many motivations.

That’s some 5k, on an honest route with plenty of bumps. Wish I had your raw speed, strength and determination. Kudos, maestro!

• Advertisement

Murph_D wrote: »
    Like a dog chasing a balloon. Dog chasing your shoes. Haven’t lost your way with words anyway. :)

Amazing work. Can’t believe I had the cheek to (sort of) challenge you, but hopefully it contributed even a little bit to your many motivations.

That’s some 5k, on an honest route with plenty of bumps. Wish I had your raw speed, strength and determination. Kudos, maestro!

https://youtu.be/QeiGkEEBM_c

Advertisement