Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia Sorento/Hyundai Santa Fe PHEV

Options
  • 09-04-2021 8:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭

I am looking for a larger SUV 7 seater, my driving does not suit diesel and original plan was to get X5/XC90/Q7 but the PHEV versions of these in my budget are pretty terrible

I stumbled across these and reviews seem excellent, the Sorento seems to be very hard to get your hands on one but I have an offer for the Santa Fe at a local deal.

Just wondering has anyone experience of these? normally I would test drive etc but that is out window with Covid. I liked the Kia 7 year warranty but can't seem to find mention of battery. The Hyundai has a 5 year warranty and 8 year battery.

As far as I know these are the "exact" same SUV just with tweeks to each model for different brand names?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭rodneytrotter15

I've been considering one of these for the last couple of days. The new K4 has a serious spec, I spoke to a dealer yesterday and he said between 40km and 50km on a full charge....must do some proper checking, Youtube reviews are all very positive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

I've been considering one of these for the last couple of days. The new K4 has a serious spec, I spoke to a dealer yesterday and he said between 40km and 50km on a full charge....must do some proper checking, Youtube reviews are all very positive.

Did he have any stock? I asked a few and told me no stock and no sign of when they will get it in

So looking at Hyundai Santa Fe, they can get in but it is the equivalent of the K3 spec and I would prefer the higher spec.

It has a 15kWh battery in them so should give 40-50km, when with the size of them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

sebdavis wrote: »
    Did he have any stock? I asked a few and told me no stock and no sign of when they will get it in

So looking at Hyundai Santa Fe, they can get in but it is the equivalent of the K3 spec and I would prefer the higher spec.

It has a 15kWh battery in them so should give 40-50km, when with the size of them

Who did you ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭MarkN

Fantastic car. Huge, decent legroom in third row. Fantastic spec in K4 but fantastic price to go with it. Feels fairly premium for something from KIA.

Who did you ask?

Liffey Valley

I emailed a few not none responded. I thought more did

• Advertisement

Liffey Valley

I emailed a few not none responded. I thought more did

Pick up the phone, otherwise they’ll probably think you’re a time waster.

MarkN wrote: »
    Fantastic car. Huge, decent legroom in third row. Fantastic spec in K4 but fantastic price to go with it. Feels fairly premium for something from KIA.

The Toyota is starting at 65k and in reality the only one you can get is the 72k model. The price of cars has gone crazy

Pick up the phone, otherwise they’ll probably think you’re a time waster.

Normally would test drive, I emailed as I thought all of them are closed.

Normally would test drive, I emailed as I thought all of them are closed.

Hmmm

Hmmm

They all advertise that you can buy over the internet, are you telling me you are expected to buy a 55k motor over the internet but they are incapable of responding to an email?

Come on now, Hyundai have had no issues responding via email and confirming details/time for a call

• Advertisement

They have a demo PHEV in Kia Cork and have more due to them "in a couple of weeks"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Viewtodiefor

Hi jacking the thread a bit. My apologies but am currently pricing same aswell.
    Being quoted €62k less grant of €5k
    How does this compare in your opinion.
    They are available

Hi jacking the thread a bit. My apologies but am currently pricing same aswell.
    Being quoted €62k less grant of €5k
    How does this compare in your opinion.
    They are available

Is that for K4?

Is that for K4?

That’s right

That’s right

57 is right.

Pricing today

K4 Sorento €61,350

Less SEAI - €5,000

Cost € 56,350

K3 Sorento €56,350

Less SEAI - €5,000

Cost € 51,350

The K3 is full cream leather
    The K4 is Full leather cream with black sides

The full cream could be an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Just wondering has anyone experience of these? normally I would test drive etc but that is out window with Covid. I liked the Kia 7 year warranty but can't seem to find mention of battery. The Hyundai has a 5 year warranty and 8 year battery.

?

I have a 2021 Sorento, but Diesel rather than hybrid. K4 spec. Haven't done huge mileage thanks to Covid. Have to say I'm very happy ☺️. If you have any questions I'd be happy to answer

Pricing today

K4 Sorento €61,350

Less SEAI - €5,000

Cost € 56,350

K3 Sorento €56,350

Less SEAI - €5,000

Cost € 51,350

Did you push for anymore off?

Borzoi wrote: »
    I have a 2021 Sorento, but Diesel rather than hybrid. K4 spec. Haven't done huge mileage thanks to Covid. Have to say I'm very happy ☺️. If you have any questions I'd be happy to answer

How has fuel consumption been?
    Is there anything you don’t like with it?
    Have you kids using it if so how’s it working out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Pricing today

K4 Sorento €61,350

Less SEAI - €5,000

Cost € 56,350

K3 Sorento €56,350

Less SEAI - €5,000

Cost € 51,350

Cream leather cleans up easy. I just sold my 182 Leaf with cream leather and the buyer couldn't believe how clean the seats were after 50k km, much if it carrying kids in the back. It wasn't that bloody clean until the day before he viewed it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭wassie

Pricing today
    K4 Sorento €61,350
    Less SEAI - €5,000
    Cost € 56,350

K3 Sorento €56,350
    Less SEAI - €5,000
    Cost € 51,350

Given the list price is
    K3 - € 50,600
    K4 - € 55,600

Also its BS how they promote the price as being €50K & €55K respectively, but then you are forced to select 'optional' metallic paint for an extra €600 which is bordering on deceptive pricing.

Your essentially paying €750 for Dealer Delivery (i.e. ship the the car from port, give it a wash and whack on some reg plates). Definitely a negotiating point, however you may struggle given its a new car with very little stock available immediately. Maybe push for extras like floor mats (if not provided) and a full tank of fuel.

Be aware also the SEAI grant drops down to €2,500 after July 1st, then finishes completely at end of the year for PHEVs. I understand the cutoff date relates to when the vehicle is registered (I stand to be corrected) so this could be an issue if you are waiting on a delivery.

The lighter leather interior options are not ideal either, especially if you plan on using this as a family hauler - light coloured seats look rubbish after a couple of years of weekend sports!

I've been considering the XC60 & XC90 PHEV also as I wanted to have the ability to occasionally tow a light caravan. But like the OP, I have concerns that my budget would mean buying used with little or no warranty. I dread the thought of the cost a major mechanical fault on an XC90 out of warranty.

Personally a big fan of the Koreans given their reputation for reliability and servicing costs. Now seriously considering the Sorento & Santa Fe PHEVs and think they have really done well with these new models. Edging towards the Kia based on:

Sorento: Towing limit 1,500kg, 7 year warranty, larger interior
    vs.
    Santa Fe: Towing limit 1,350kg (unverified as not published by Hyundai Ireland), 5 year warranty

I was getting quoted with a trade in a price of €63,200 less the €5,000 grant from Kia in Douglas in Cork yesterday. I drove the PHEV and was very impressed in battery only mode, it really is impressive. The blind spot camera when you hit the indicator is superb and makes city driving a doddle. That said I found it wanting when I dropped the boot and the engine sounds like it could really do with having been at least a 2.0 and not a 1.6. It is not super slow by any means it just didn't have enough power for me. Like the poster above I really wanted a 7 seater PHEV, I couldn't live with an XC90 hybrid potentially out of warranty in 6 months as much and all as I wanted one. In the end I bought an XC90 2.0 diesel on the way home from Cork. The Leaf will do fine for around town shopping and shorter trips, would have loved a 7 seat PHEV but there you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

How has fuel consumption been?
    Is there anything you don’t like with it?
    Have you kids using it if so how’s it working out.

1. No idea.
    2. Some of the electronic are not intuitive, seem a little fiddly. I expect I'll gett used to it. Compared to the Galaxy I used to drive, there's a lack of storage around the driver. Minor stuff really.
    3. I only use the 3rd row occasionally. 2 kids in child seats in the middle. Theyre happy. There's USB charging points everywhere, so when they are a little older and have devices allowed, that will be handy.

Ok so had a look today with Mrs Seb Davis, they had a diesel Sorento K4 so I had a quick look into it and around. I like it. What I didn't like was the second row of seats. The 60/40 mix means you can't leave the middle one down, so you are left with the seat behind passanger down to give access to two kids. The 60 won't allow for 2 kids especially if one in a isofix.

The leather I would question the quality and the K4 mix of cream/black is not great. I prefer the solid cream. Still a nice car but I don't think Mrs Seb is on for it.....trying to find out more on the hybrid XC90

DOn't get me wrong, the exterior is very nice. The interior is very nice and I like the layout compared to the Hyundai(based on pics). But I just dont think it will be for us

Ok so had a look today with Mrs Seb Davis, they had a diesel Sorento K4 so I had a quick look into it and around. I like it. What I didn't like was the second row of seats. The 60/40 mix means you can't leave the middle one down, so you are left with the seat behind passanger down to give access to two kids. The 60 won't allow for 2 kids especially if one in a isofix.

The leather I would question the quality and the K4 mix of cream/black is not great. I prefer the solid cream. Still a nice car but I don't think Mrs Seb is on for it.....trying to find out more on the hybrid XC90

DOn't get me wrong, the exterior is very nice. The interior is very nice and I like the layout compared to the Hyundai(based on pics). But I just dont think it will be for us

We've also the previous generation K4. I didn't check on the demo car, as they look IDENTICAL (there's a few things that are direct ports to the new machine), but although they look 60/40 the central section of the second row splits down as well. It's basically the same two tone leather, no issues with wear either... or jeans passing on the colour, which was an issue on my old IS250 as well as the XC90 (possibly because lighter colour leather).

We've also the previous generation K4. I didn't check on the demo car, as they look IDENTICAL (there's a few things that are direct ports to the new machine), but although they look 60/40 the central section of the second row splits down as well. It's basically the same two tone leather, no issues with wear either... or jeans passing on the colour, which was an issue on my old IS250 as well as the XC90 (possibly because lighter colour leather).

Any booster you find that will work in the middle part?

Any booster you find that will work in the middle part?

That was something I was tasked with two weeks ago, and I haven’t looked into it. I think we’ll just use the third row anyways. They’ve now added isofix there, something the old model doesn’t have. I will miss the Sharan in terms of lugging people and stuff, it really is unrivalled in terms of practicality.

Its a shame that Kia won't bring the new model Carnival into UK/Ireland which seats 8
    https://www.kia.com/au/cars/carnival/features.html

Has the same design cues as the Sorento, making it look more like an SUV than people mover. 2nd row are independent seats and has sliding doors. Most likely not released here due to choice of engines - 3.5L V6 petrol or the 2.2L turbo diesel engine.

• Advertisement

wassie wrote: »
    Its a shame that Kia won't bring the new model Carnival into UK/Ireland which seats 8
    https://www.kia.com/au/cars/carnival/features.html

Has the same design cues as the Sorento, making it look more like an SUV than people mover. 2nd row are independent seats and has sliding doors. Most likely not released here due to choice of engines - 3.5L V6 petrol or the 2.2L turbo diesel engine.

Like most manufacturers they will bring out left hand only drive as that meets the majority of market....

Advertisement