Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leon Reid charged with drugs, firearms and money laundering offences

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭horsebox1977

He's deactivated his Twitter account too.

https://www.swrocu.police.uk/news/2021/04/men-charged-with-drugs-firearms-and-money-laundering-offences/

Leon Reid, 26 (dob 26/07/94), Longmead Terrace, Bath
    Conspiracy to supply class A (cocaine), permitting premises to be used in the production of class A (crack cocaine), concealing criminal property, and acquiring criminal property.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Insane. Even if he's somehow innocent of all charges I can't see his career recovering.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭deisedude

Such a shame. I heard an interview with him on Second Captains and he seemed like a nice and genuine guy who had been given a tough hand in life but had done well for himself

Really disappointing he has fallen into crime

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭BingCrosbee

His life will change big time from here on and not for the better. Like all criminals who get caught there will be no sympathy.

deisedude wrote: »
    Such a shame. I heard an interview with him on Second Captains and he seemed like a nice and genuine guy who had been given a tough hand in life but had done well for himself

Really disappointing he has fallen into crime

You could probably say the same about Daniel Kinihan.

• Advertisement

His life will change big time from here on and not for the better. Like all criminals who get caught there will be no sympathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I love the way the Guardian headlines it as "Irish sprinter..." but in the same article a "British high jumper.." has a medal upgrade..

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/apr/07/irish-sprinter-leon-reid-charged-with-conspiracy-to-supply-cocaine

No further reports from this 12th of May court appearance?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

"His life will change" - he gets zero funding for running; it prolly costs him money to try and get to Olympics. Athletes get none of the breaks that male and female GAA and Ruby folks get

Almost shocked that more folks don't resort to criminality tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭28064212

"His life will change" - he gets zero funding for running
    As an elite athlete, he got €20,000 in direct funding from Sport Ireland in 2020. Lets not pretend he was some destitute, down-on-his-luck lad forced into a life of crime against his will.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

"His life will change" - he gets zero funding for running; it prolly costs him money to try and get to Olympics. Athletes get none of the breaks that male and female GAA and Ruby folks get

Almost shocked that more folks don't resort to criminality tbh

If that was the case, then Irish athletics and indeed most other sports would be full of criminals.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,469 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

On this - am all for the grandparent rule and so on - but am surprised that an athlete who has never lived in Ireland would get that quantum of stipend from Athletics Ireland?

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    On this - am all for the grandparent rule and so on - but am surprised that an athlete who has never lived in Ireland would get that quantum of stipend from Athletics Ireland?

His birth and adopted Mother are both from Ireland (Belfast and Waterford) At least that is my understanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,469 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

His birth and adopted Mother are both from Ireland (Belfast and Waterford) At least that is my understanding.

I get that, and I amnt questioning that.

I've no problem with him or any other oveseas athlete representing Ireland - however its the funding piece.

For example - a local athlete that receives that funding could be part of a local club.

By comparison, the GAA are really really good at getting the county stars to 'give back' to the club, to give coaching sessions, to interact with the junior players and so on......

Its a very powerful narrative to be able to say 'this star player did the same training on the same track with the same coach that you are now doing, back when they were 12 years old'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Tombo2001 wrote: »

We've had athlete's living in Northern Ireland receiving UK gov. support while representing Ireland. Boxers in particular and probably some track athletes also.

Pro cyclists have also been grant aided to participate in Olympic races. I have no idea how much time Nicholas Roche, Dan Martin or others have spent in Ireland through out their lives.

Advertisement