Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Life is too short for bad coffee - The Off Topic thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭Bigbooty

mad m wrote: »
    How did you brew it?

Edit: added a few to cart thinking it would give free delivery but nada. SHIP50 doesn’t work now.

I brewed it on the kalita 185. Here's my recipe for those interested which I use for the most part, 98oc temp (just off the boil), 20g/310ml. 60 ml bloom to 45 seconds. Second pour to 140ml then I pulse pour 3-4 times to 310 with drawdown finishing at about 2.45 to 3.15. Give it a little stir during the initial bloom and then a swirl later to flatten the brew bed.

If you're spending 50 quid you should be getting free delivery imo.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Have a flair pro arriving tomorrow or Thursday. excited to give it a go. Might need to upgrade the grinder next, but I'll see what results I get with the 1zpresso q2 first.

I see myself using it loads at first then going back to v60

Arrived. First shot, looked the business, grind slightly too fine, and tamped too much. Didn't have the piston set properly. Tasted okay though.

Second shot forgot shower screen and water just went through. That one was bad.

Much better today. It's obviously fiddly, and more fiddly than a Rok presso, but that it can fold up and go in a press and not take up counter space is great. Do all the heating while I'm making breakfast anyway. Clean up is also slightly fiddlier, but even then not as bad as I imagined.

New screws finally arrived today (couldn't get the correct type here without ordering hundreds), so I refurbed my original ROK Presso to compare it with the Flair.

I already upgraded it to the GC model so it's better than it was orginally but the new bayonet screws sorted out the leaks it had started having.

Anyway, it gave a better "espresso" than it had given in some time. Flair is still better, but it would want to be given the price. ROK much less faffing though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Weepsie wrote: »
    New screws finally arrived today (couldn't get the correct type here without ordering hundreds), so I refurbed my original ROK Presso to compare it with the Flair.

I already upgraded it to the GC model so it's better than it was orginally but the new bayonet screws sorted out the leaks it had started having.

Anyway, it gave a better "espresso" than it had given in some time. Flair is still better, but it would want to be given the price. ROK much less faffing though.

If someone wanted a manual espresso machine for 1 or 2 shots a day which would you recommend

I'd say the flair. They are a similar price point (unless you go with the pro). You can get used roks cheap enough on ebay from time to time if you can get around brexit issues, but the flair retains the heat a bit better, and at least lets you keep an eye on pressure and there's more things to help you dial in where you are going wrong or right.

That said, ROK gc is not bad, and perhaps a bit more forgiving, but at their best, the flair is better.

I'll do a bit more comparison over the next week or 2. Have a 1zpresso jx-pro landing tomorrow, so that will really help eliminate some issues. The q2 is great, but not quite good enough for espresso long term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭Bigbooty

Bit of a weird one but has anyone brewed kombucha coffee? Was going to give it a go in a few weeks time after I have a few scobys on the go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

No, but please do put your method in here, I'm very interested in home fermentation and brew beer and make things like Sauerkraut and Kimchi

Next step is Kombucha and Ginger Bug

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

What kind of grind size are people using for the clever dripper generally? I have started going a bit finer and really enjoying it - a little sorry I didn't go there sooner

A lot of guides say go for medium-coarse, but I'm at a medium-fine atm.

• Advertisement

medium fine here too, somewhere around 11-13 clicks on my Encore (I go to about 18 clicks for French Press)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

I've been using James Hoffman's recently released Aeropress recipe.

https://youtu.be/j6VlT_jUVPc

I've really enjoyed it, and have been more than satisfied with its results. Normal method, no rinsing paper, 11-12g dose in, 200g water, no need to stir etc, infuse for 2 mins, swirl, sit for 30 seconds, press.

It means I get about 22-23 cups per 250g bag, as opposed to 16-17 cups with the old recipe I used (15g) or 8-9 cups with a lot of the Aeropress World Champion recipes. It's a heck of a lot more straight forward with no rinsing, no blooming, no counting stirs. Some might be in to it but I found it a little annoying after a couple of cups.

He has a whole series on the Aeropress. In Episode 2, he does a deep dive into the variables of an Aeropress to see what, if any, difference they make. Deducts a whole load of supposed Aeropress truths!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

You have to go to Ethiopia for a good up of coffee. There used to be a direct flight from Dublin to Addis Abbas but no more, so you have to take a stopover now (you can probably stay on the plane if you fly with Ethiopian airlines).
    Otherwise you need to go to Columbia or Guatemala for a good coffee, much longer journeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭alec76

You have to go to Ethiopia for a good up of coffee. There used to be a direct flight from Dublin to Addis Abbas but no more, so you have to take a stopover now (you can probably stay on the plane if you fly with Ethiopian airlines).
    Otherwise you need to go to Columbia or Guatemala for a good coffee, much
    longer journeys.
    i seriously doubt it

• Registered Users Posts: 19,728 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Otherwise you need to go to Columbia or Guatemala for a good coffee, much longer journeys.

Looks like the manure won.

I see LIDL are doing Brady's coffee now: https://www.bradyscoffee.ie/bradys-coffee-bred-guide-lidl

I guess to compete with Velo in Aldi and Dunnes and tap into the new post-covid home coffee market

• Registered Users Posts: 13,259 ✭✭✭✭fits

Was in that part of the world a few years ago and all I could get was Nescafé.

I see LIDL are doing Brady's coffee now: https://www.bradyscoffee.ie/bradys-coffee-bred-guide-lidl

I guess to compete with Velo in Aldi and Dunnes and tap into the new post-covid home coffee market

Picked this up today but haven't tried it. Batch no. is 200421 so quite like roasted on 20 April 2021 I guess. €4 for 227g - they do a ground and whole bean of a Guatemalan and Brazilian blend

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭breeno

Picked this up today but haven't tried it. Batch no. is 200421 so quite like roasted on 20 April 2021 I guess. €4 for 227g - they do a ground and whole bean of a Guatemalan and Brazilian blend

Let us know what it's like. I'm always on the lookout for an everyday (cheaper!) bean to compliment the nicer stuff! Bonus when it's available locally like this.

On a similar note, are Aldi still doing the Roasting Collective beans or were they only temporary? They were actually quite decent.

• Advertisement

breeno wrote: »
    On a similar note, are Aldi still doing the Roasting Collective beans or were they only temporary? They were actually quite decent.

only temporary afaik, I always look for them when I'm in and haven't seen them since

only temporary afaik, I always look for them when I'm in and haven't seen them since

Had a feeling that might be the case. Shame, they were pretty good for a very low price - around €2 for 227g bag.

You must have got them on special or something near the end of their run, they were similarly priced to the Velo stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭The Hound Gone Wild

3FE opening a new shop in Rathgar and advertising a shop managers position for €13 an hour. They're catching a lot of shít on Twitter for it. Anyone in the industry know if these are standard wages?

I've heard the owner say on a podcast that he gives 33% of takings to staff wages no matter the level of income so I'd expect that to be a baseline I suppose?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

All sorts of retail or customer facing rolls are underpaid. Most of them are overworked and abused by customers.

25k a year for a managers role is pretty bad (assume a 37.5hr week x 52)

what are the non-manager staff on?

25k a year for a managers role is pretty bad (assume a 37.5hr week x 52)

what are the non-manager staff on?

Minimum wage or just over I'd say. Retail management pay is terrible, especially as it is Sunday working etc. too (and a very tough gig). That said I would have put the typical for a role like this at €30k per year - as 3FE are on the pricier side coffee wise I would have expected that level.

God I've been so long out of retail, that's really bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

3FE opening a new shop in Rathgar and advertising a shop managers position for €13 an hour. They're catching a lot of shít on Twitter for it. Anyone in the industry know if these are standard wages?

I've heard the owner say on a podcast that he gives 33% of takings to staff wages no matter the level of income so I'd expect that to be a baseline I suppose?

It's not that far off standard store management sort of wages, I know a few of my mates are on 13/14 quid per hour in clothing stores and that. Normal staff would probably be on 11 quid an hour just above minimum.

Think it's more just twitter as a whole taking umbrage that it's not paying exorbitant wages and pointing at stuff like cost of rent in Dublin, even though it's technically above the "living wage".

• Advertisement

The English speaking phone/chat agents who work in the company I work for are on 30k basic, anyone speaking a language we support are paid 33k, everyone is on mon-fri 9-5 too, no weekends or late nights

25k is a paltry sum to manage a coffee shop.

Advertisement