Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Life is too short for bad coffee - The Off Topic thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

I was lurking on this forum the other day, and I saw an Aeropress recipe and I can't find it since. I feel like it's starring right at me. I recall the poster saying steep for 2+ mins, and then another poster saying that was too long for their taste. Where is it hiding?!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I was the one saying I wouldn't do it for that long.

I use a modified version of the Blue bottle recipe. It's quick and works for me.

I use 16g ground coffee and use water off the boil.

https://bluebottlecoffee.com/preparation-guides/aeropress

adrian522 wrote: »

I use a modified version of the Blue bottle recipe. It's quick and works for me.

Thanks! I go back and forth between a moka pot and Aeropress - back on my Aeropress kick. Have always used the scoop and eyeballed it, but James Hoffman's videos have convinced me to try aim for consistency with a scale (even if the one I have isn't to point-one of a gram)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Yeah, filter is a lot more forgiving than espresso in that regard.

I weigh out the coffee alright, but then just cover the grounds from the kettle in the first step and then top up the aeropress in the second pour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

It's me :)

for my aero I use

15g medium fine grind

inverted method

put in the coffee, then add 30g of water just off the boil - stir and bloom for 30-45 seconds then top up the water to 250g, steep for a further 2mins and then press slowly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,465 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

for my aero I use

15g medium fine grind

inverted method

put in the coffee, then add 30g of water just off the boil - stir and bloom for 30-45 seconds then top up the water to 250g, steep for a further 2mins and then press slowly

Recently bought myself one and am currently enjoying a post lunch cup done exactly as above. Delish. And strong!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

cnocbui wrote: »
    No doubt I'm about to get flak for using distilled, but most people don't know about masking or believe it doesn't apply to them.
    You can make your coffee with lukewarm custard if that's what makes you happy. :) Coffee is such an individual appreciation (my wife and I enjoy completely different coffee experiences) that I always cringe a little when I read about posters telling other posters they're wrong about their bean choice or what they like and dislike. I was more interested in your coffee regime. Incorporating a microwave would represent a nightmare for me, but coffee seems to me as much about the pursuit of perfection, as the taste, so you do you!

for my aero I use

15g medium fine grind

inverted method

adrian522 wrote: »

Both methods shared here were great, and streets ahead of my attempt following the instructions on Aeropress' own website.

My kitchen scale doesn't go to 0.1g, so I'm losing some accuracy there. I also found it hard to measure the exact water in the first addition, and I went over in both cases.

a scale that does 1g is ok for my recipe

I don't understand why you had issues there?

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

Show me your setup.

I'll show you mine.

• Advertisement

a scale that does 1g is ok for my recipe

I don't understand why you had issues there?

I'm not finding issues in the increments for sure, I just had previously read a scale going in 0.1g increments if preferred. My scale does lag and it is slow to update. So by the time I think I've poured Xg of water, it's actually Yg.

ah right, yeah a lag is going to be problematic, but you could pour slower the when you get close to the desired amount stop and then go really slowly

• Registered Users Posts: 19,728 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Show me your setup.

I'll show you mine.

If you insist.

jce0vdnd_o.jpg

gIrPvsan_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,465 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Show me your setup.

Capture.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Anyone know a place to get a proper coffee around Santry/DCU? With word of outdoor visits possibly coming back I'd be meeting up with a friend outside for a walk and a coffee.

Only decent coffee places I know are in and around the city centre but not familiar with anything North of the Liffey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭Bigbooty

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Anyone know a place to get a proper coffee around Santry/DCU? With word of outdoor visits possibly coming back I'd be meeting up with a friend outside for a walk and a coffee.

Only decent coffee places I know are in and around the city centre but not familiar with anything North of the Liffey.

Wavetable is not so far from DCU. Speciality coffee shop/soon to be record store.

Gourmet Food Parlour in Santry Demesne might be worth a look, it's a nice place to go for a walk too.

Looks like they sell Java Rep coffee, which to me is ok, but not up there with the best indie roasters available, but certainly better than petrol station coffee

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

DaveyDave wrote: »

Bua on mobhi road, though queues are nuts. There's a coffee shop in dcu that might be okay. Anderson's just use ily or lavazza but it's okay.

driftwood if you fancy a long boring walk up glasnevin avenue towards finglas.

Decathlon has a bear mrkt cafe but don't know if it's open

• Registered Users Posts: 19,728 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The Nal wrote: »
    Capture.png

'I think it's coffee Jim, but not as we know it.'

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Really off topic here but loving the new Bell Lane logo / branding

Still annoys me that they only do their filter blends in pre-ground and not whole bean mind you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭KnicksInSix

Anyone know if any shop in Dublin sells the Kalita 155 in stainless steel?

Been a bit of talk of places around Phibsboro for coffee. Seems to be another one. Fools & Horses (I think) just at the laneway where permanent TSB and the Shopping centre. Don't know what coffee they are using, but I have seen someone on the canal with a Bear Mrkt coffee cup and I don't know where in the area sells it, unless that's what Bang use.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭VM Varga

Weepsie wrote: »
    Been a bit of talk of places around Phibsboro for coffee. Seems to be another one. Fools & Horses (I think) just at the laneway where permanent TSB and the Shopping centre. Don't know what coffee they are using, but I have seen someone on the canal with a Bear Mrkt coffee cup and I don't know where in the area sells it, unless that's what Bang use.

Not Bang Bang anyway. They do Silverskin.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭breeno

Weepsie wrote: »

Fools and horses in Walkinstown use Upside coffee so good chance it's the same I'd say. It's quite nice to be fair.

Where did this bear mrkt come from then I wonder.

I originally thought it was the honest2goodness market so maybe there.

Decathlon has a bear mrkt by the by. Not running at the moment of course

h2g use Cloudpicker

I picked up some Chinese coffee there this morning

This one

That Diego burmedez coffee from bell lane lived up to the hype. What an exceptional coffee. Best I've had in 2021 by some margin. Juicy, complex, clean with the most wonderful aroma I've smelled from a coffee. It has so many layers to it which is reflected in the bonkers processing method. Very Happy to have purchased two bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Bigbooty wrote: »
    That Diego burmedez coffee from bell lane lived up to the hype. What an exceptional coffee. Best I've had in 2021 by some margin. Juicy, complex, clean with the most wonderful aroma I've smelled from a coffee. It has so many layers to it which is reflected in the bonkers processing method. Very Happy to have purchased two bags.

I'm a fan of Bell Lane at the best of times so must give this a go - I really wish they did 1kg bags though. €15 for 250g is just a bit steep for me... but if it's that good....

I'm a fan of Bell Lane at the best of times so must give this a go - I really wish they did 1kg bags though. €15 for 250g is just a bit steep for me... but if it's that good....

I don't think you'll regret it as a wee treat despite the price. It really is something quite different but good different and not I have to pretend that this is nice different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Bigbooty wrote: »

How did you brew it?

Edit: added a few to cart thinking it would give free delivery but nada. SHIP50 doesn’t work now.

Advertisement