Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Research Council 2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 BuuuuuuuuuB

Are there any new for Postdoc?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭blizzardofone

Sorry to hear that some of you did not progress. I've everything crossed that there's more opportunities coming your way soon!

No news about the Postdoc from me. I somehow can't see them releasing the PhD and Postdoc results on the same day? Though I'm basing that off nothing other than my gut feeling

• Registered Users Posts: 14 clemfandango5

All quiet here so far with the postdoc. Will let you know if the bongos start beating.

I'm glad postgrads got news at last. Congrats to all who made the cut and commiserations to the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭iamyourending

No news here on postdoc either. Hopefully tomorrow or Thursday at the latest - it's been a long wait!

Well done to everyone that got good news on the PhD side of things, and really hard luck to those who didn't. It's not an easy email to read after all the work that goes into the application.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Choose

I applied 2019, got through to second round and was ultimately unsuccessful.
    I applied 2020 and was successful.

Use this year to update and improve your application and try again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,414 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Probably goes without saying, but if your institution offers any information sessions on how to write your application, make sure you attend. Little details, like how to handle questions about data protection, Gantt chart timelines, lay abstracts etc., are really useful in helping to round out your application and making sure you're scoring in every possible area. Commiserations to those who did not make it this time, but persist!

I hope today the IRC send us the results of Postdoc. It has been a very long wait.

Another day of refreshing my emails - everything crossed for some news about the postdocs today

Another day of refreshing my emails - everything crossed for some news about the postdocs today

If you can send them an email and ask for any new.

If you can send them an email and ask for any new.

I can't email again - I emailed yesterday and they just said it'd be sometime 'soon' :eek::(

• Advertisement

I can't email again - I emailed yesterday and they just said it'd be sometime 'soon' :eek::(
    Great blizzardofone.
    If you can share the text they sent you.

The email I got said: 'We are currently working on finalising the outcome of the Government of Ireland Postdoctoral Fellowship Programme and hope to update applicants soon. Unfortunately, we cannot give you an exact date at this time.'

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Kinks56

The email I got said: 'We are currently working on finalising the outcome of the Government of Ireland Postdoctoral Fellowship Programme and hope to update applicants soon. Unfortunately, we cannot give you an exact date at this time.'
    That makes me think it could be another week or so. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9 clementine5

Do you know what the chances are of you being successful if you get through to the second round of assessment? Nobody in my lab has applied for an IRC before so i'm very much in the dark with what my chances of success are. Thanks a million

Kinks56 wrote: »
    That makes me think it could be another week or so. :(

I took it to hopefully mean this week at some point?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Choose

Do you know what the chances are of you being successful if you get through to the second round of assessment? Nobody in my lab has applied for an IRC before so i'm very much in the dark with what my chances of success are. Thanks a million

There is absolutely no way of knowing. If you go through to the second round you will be reviewed by international assessors, who are seeing your application for the first time and do not know your initial result. It totally depends how well you score in this round.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Kinks56

I took it to hopefully mean this week at some point?

I hope you're right!

Has anybody had any news from them? Any emails?

I emailed them to ask if they were now in a position to clarify whether we would be told the outcome (postdoc) by the end of the week and they replied:

“We are currently working on the outcome of the Government of Ireland Postdoctoral Fellowship Scheme and we anticipate being able to update applicants soon”

So, while I really, really, hope that means we’ll be putting you all out of your misery very soon, how long is a piece of string, right? If it goes past Friday then it’s starting to get inhumane. I do not know how last year applicants stuck it!

Surely it can’t last too much longer? I’m going to be optimistic and take a punt that we’ll know by Friday at the latest – but could very well be wrong…

I'm in the same mindset clemfandango5! I think it'd be cruel if it went into next week (and definitely not 'early April as they said!) Being optimistic too that the news will come before the weekend!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 bibble123

Sending out good vibes for you postdocs! It is honestly just cruel - they're obviously very behind but keeping everyone in the dark is just mean. Hopefully it'll be today or tomorrow for you guys!

Beginning to lose hope for hearing anything today!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 spokyn

Beginning to lose hope for hearing anything today!

I'd say you could be right, I'm expecting the portal to go down at some stage before we hear anything and based on my obsessive checking (lol) I don't think that's happened yet so possibly not today...the wait is really dragging on now. It'd be nice to even get an official notice from them that it's delayed.

May be tomorrow. But it is not an early anymore.

May be tomorrow. But it is not an early anymore.

I'd be very surprised if it's a Saturday. I'm almost 100% sure the IRC office would be closed.

spokyn wrote: »
    I'd be very surprised if it's a Saturday. I'm almost 100% sure the IRC office would be closed.

May be they are working from home.

May be they are working from home.

Yes, they almost certainly are but they still won't be releasing results on a Saturday.

Jesus, not another week of waiting. Starting to think they mean early April in 2022! Even a bit of clarification from them would be good.

So it will be tuesday?
    Is the next Monday a holiday?

• Advertisement

So it will be tuesday?
    Is the next Monday a holiday?

Next Monday isn't a holiday here but I think at this point it's impossible to know what day/date it will be. I know last year there was quite a long COVID related delay but I believe candidates were informed of the delay at some point before the initial due date. I don't know for sure as it's been 2 years since I last applied but I'm sure someone else here knows better how that actually went down.

Advertisement