Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faddy trends in home design

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Paulzx

I'm with you on the ensuite toilet. Mank. I always think it's one of the unpleasant compromises you have to make when you stay in a hotel.

Having somewhere in the hotel room to go to the jax is an unpleasant compromise???:eek: WTF....

What's the alternative? A shared bathroom on the corridor or leg it outside to the bushes ?

Weird:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,794 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

fits wrote: »
    Yes. Massive shower. Massive bath. Two sinks. Loadsa room.

Jealous :D

B-D-P-- wrote: »
    Agreed & I have a recliner, It works great with my tv over the fireplace.
    Prefer it to a lower tv

Yeh me too. I don’t get the idea that there’s an immense strain on the neck. And the TV is centred in the room.

As for the grey, as a neutral colour it’s better than magnolia. :-p

All grey is a mess though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Adhesive Vinyl sloganeering in every room of the house. Like tattoos, they're everywhere now.

With feelgood themes like:

"This House may be Ramshackle,
    Full of Runny Noses, but it is Our Home and 'tis Filled with Love".

That one is in the mud room near the back door. But the missus made sure she bought sets to put in the kitchen, the bath, kids' rooms, etc...

Folks need tattoos now, it follows that they need inspirational BS in their homes, too. What would intimacy be without sloganeering?

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭ellee

I hate open plan. Kitchen is just such a noisy place and there's nearly always someone doing something in it. Maybe they work better in bigger houses where the open plan is spread out over a bigger foot print. However in my semi d I'm sick of everyone under my feet and the noise. It's way worse as the kids get bigger.

Islands are also a pain. My mother has one and we are full time walking around it to get to the fridge etc. Pain in the hoop.

Those window shutters seem daft to me. They must make rooms very dark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

Paulzx wrote: »
    Having somewhere in the hotel room to go to the jax is an unpleasant compromise???:eek: WTF....

What's the alternative? A shared bathroom on the corridor or leg it outside to the bushes ?

Weird:confused:

That's what a compromise is.

A communal bathroom separate from the room is an unpleasant option, a private bathroom separate from the room is ideal but not feasible, so we compromise and settle for a private bathroom that is attached to the room.

Compromise.

I have no idea why so many people are convinced that having this in their houses is the height of genteel sophistication. It's what my grandmother would have called nouveau riche.

I quite like many of the 'unpopular' things posted here. For example, my house is grey throughout. Every room, hall, stairs and landing are grey. Carpet is grey, laminate is grey. Kitchen is white gloss, bannisters/spindles are white. However, I try to break it up with large canvas prints and blobs of colour thrown into it. We've a large 'feature wall' (for lack of a better description) in the sitting room which is turquoise. The Kitchen has a 3-canvas-print picture that takes up a large chunk of space, in blue, and three other canvas prints are in there too.

I personally find that it's easier on the eyes. More relaxing. Most other colours are turquoise, yellow and navy around the house, with different 'wood' on the worktop/tables etc. but I like the simplicity of it all.

Now that I've painted myself into a corner as being 'that guy' in the thread, the things I don't particularly like are:

A 'feature wall' in a room, were the wall has paneling on it, that's nowhere else to be seen in the house. I can see the next 'trend' for this being the easier version, where it's just 2" vertical strips on the wall, and none of the horizontal ones (sounds a bit prison-ey, but bet it'll take off once people start at it).

I don't like those large pouffe things, that are oversized and take up most of the floor space in, what are generally small, rooms.

Although I have some downlights/spotlights in my houes (only one room) I'm not a fan of them either, anymore. I like the aesthetic and space-saving kinda sleekness to them, but ever since they became LED as standard, I find them overly blinding, and it's put me right off them. Dimmable halogen ones were lovely.

I like colourful LED strip lighting, but I think it's a nice secondary compliment to a room. Some people go way overboard and have them everywhere. Houses that have rooms that look like commercial premises or nightclubs because someone got a deal on buying a load of strip lights. Not for me. (I say that as someone who also has some, in my house, but they're part of a dropped ceiling and are an ambient light, so they struggle to fully light the room the way I have them set up).

One thing I really think is stupid are window shutters that you (thankfully, rarely) see fitted to outsides of houses. Often in house estates where no other house has bothered, so the house with them looks even more odd. What bugs me is that they 1) aren't functional, they literally get nailed to the wall, and 2) the houses they are on are so small, that you can't fit a shutter that looks like it'd actually cover the window. So you lose out on both the function and aesthetic. I just don't get it at all.

I also don't like, although it's not really a fad, perhaps, is the ceiling window/light that often gets popped onto flat roof extensions to 'let more light in'. Not a bad thing in and of itself, but no one bothers to put blinds on them, so you end up with a square in the room that you can't use, because if the sun is shining, you get glare and the eyes are cut out of your head, or if it's a warm day out, you'll burn sitting underneath it. I'd rather the marginally darker interior, and option of using lights.

I also don't like silver crushed velvet and mirror-finishes everywhere. Screams 'tacky/cheap' to me (although I presume it's supposed to look more premium than cheap).

Though, it's obviously only fair to point out that everyone just has different taste. If you were to decorate your house based on a load of other people's opinions, you'd be sitting in an empty shell for a long time to come. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

beauf wrote: »
    I like open plan. But it has its limitations. Working from home, noisy teens on their xbox, studying, private conversations in a busy house. But if you have a small place it does makes it feel bigger.

This is the thing. I'm seeing pricey new build house done this way to give the illusion of space. They're flipping tiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 NovaDublin

Here are a few

1. Painting floor tiles and then stencilling
    2. Large beams over fireplaces that houses a big stove
    3. Those American styled shutters on windows

I have all three 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Electrified front gates with back lit keypads on ten a penny terraced and semi detached houses with low front walls, small front garden, bog standard car in the drive. Talk about airs and graces....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭NSAman

Open living I love. However, there has to areas of privacy. My main floor is open plan, kitchen has an island, living area and dining area. It also has a private room for TV and a pantry. For entertaining it is superb and very open.

We also have a basement area which we live in all the time. It contains all the mechanics and utility items in seperate rooms apart from the living area which has TV surround sound etc. It again gives privacy etc.

I love plain unified looks in houses. Plain white walls, same flooring throughout. Colour is brought into the house through art pieces, unique furniture, and soft furnishings.

I like little clutter so having everything on display is a no-no for me.

Everyone’s taste is different. I think many of the issues in Ireland are that the houses in general are small. What works in larger houses will not work in smaller homes. At he end of the day, your house is your design template. Whatever you like, play with it until you are happy.

One thing that is awful for me personally, is people trying to copy what they see on TV. Make your own choices!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

I hate brick effect wallpaper, it never looks good (with the exception perhaps in a teens bedroom). I don't know why it's a thing, but people are ruining perfectly good livingrooms and diningrooms with the hideos stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Electrified front gates with back lit keypads on ten a penny terraced and semi detached houses with low front walls, small front garden, bog standard car in the drive. Talk about airs and graces....

I bet they have a white, slimline telephone with automatic radial button as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Handy to keep the chuggers away. side benefit of global plague - no door to door chuggers.

I always disliked and still dislike balls on pillars and giant eagles ( the stone or horroro of horrors plastic type) stuck onto basic semi d gate pillars. Also doric/ionic/corinthian columns on anything less than a 24 bedroom classical country estate. If ya have that you’re welcome to doric away!!

I do like garages and gates that slide open at the touch of a botton/fob as the car glides up. Defo would like some of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭RTighe

I'm with you on the ensuite toilet. Mank. I always think it's one of the unpleasant compromises you have to make when you stay in a hotel.

Sliding barn doors as interior doors are a current fad. I get the attraction of sliding doors but the whole American rustic thing just looks so affected.

Just on the sliding doors, we went from standard double doors to Sliding doors that recess into the walls. Image attached. Found them to be pretty space saving and blocks off the living room to the kitchen / dining room (yes the downstairs is open plan, with a bunch of items mentioned by previous posters that will probably be dated :D:D)

but in saying that. it does work for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

bubblypop wrote: »
    Probably not really a faddy design but ensuite toilets.
    Yuck.
    Who decides to put a toilet near their bed???? Jaysis disgusting. I would prefer a big wardrobe. Wouldn't mind a shower but not the toilet.
    Gross.

The toilet in our en suite is nowhere near our bed

I'm curious as to the en suites you've seen

Over time, it might do my head in to have to walk downstairs to shower. Much prefer en suite.

Going downstairs in the morning to shower would absolutely do my head in.

RTighe wrote: »
    Just on the sliding doors, we went from standard double doors to Sliding doors that recess into the walls. Image attached. Found them to be pretty space saving and blocks off the living room to the kitchen / dining room (yes the downstairs is open plan, with a bunch of items mentioned by previous posters that will probably be dated :D:D)

The amount of extra space reclaimed by putting in pocket/sliding doors is justification in itself

• Registered Users Posts: 66,929 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Don't have an issue with relatively easy to change trends, wallpaper/paint/soft furnishings, it's when people invest in the hard to change stuff that I have issue. For instance, this tiling 'look' is going to be very tired in a few years and very expensive/disruptive to change.

71hKy58AP3L._AC_SL1000_.jpg

lawred2 wrote: »
    The toilet in our en suite is nowhere near our bed

I'm curious as to the en suites you've seen

You must live in a mansion!
    Ensuites are basically the same room!

I love the recessed doors, love them

• Advertisement

You must live in a mansion!
    Ensuites are basically the same room!

I love the recessed doors, love them

I definitely want to see the ensuites you've seen now

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭ellee

Ah no, some en suites are way worse than others. I've seen them as basically a tiny triangle cut out of a small square room and also then as a whole separate full size bathroom a good distance from the bed so no sense of someone on the loo behind your head or similar.

Cam empathise with bad en suites! But would not mind a good one. Again answer seems to be a bigger house!!!

RTighe wrote: »

It's not the sliding doors that are a silly fad, it's specifically the 'barn door' style. Sliding doors are practical in lots of ways. The pseudo-rustic barn door setup is laughable.

It's not the sliding doors that are a silly fad, it's specifically the 'barn door' style. Sliding doors are practical in lots of ways. The pseudo-rustic barn door setup is laughable.

I'm interested to see an example

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Probably not really a faddy design but ensuite toilets.
    Yuck.
    Who decides to put a toilet near their bed???? Jaysis disgusting. I would prefer a big wardrobe. Wouldn't mind a shower but not the toilet.
    Gross.
    https://sd.keepcalms.com/i-w600/no-solids-in-the-en-suite.jpg

lawred2 wrote: »
    I'm interested to see an example

https://lmgtfy.app/?q=interior+barn+door

• Registered Users Posts: 15,761 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Kaybaykwah wrote: »
    Adhesive Vinyl sloganeering in every room of the house. Like tattoos, they're everywhere now.

With feelgood themes like:

"This House may be Ramshackle,
    Full of Runny Noses, but it is Our Home and 'tis Filled with Love".

That one is in the mud room near the back door. But the missus made sure she bought sets to put in the kitchen, the bath, kids' rooms, etc...

Folks need tattoos now, it follows that they need inspirational BS in their homes, too. What would intimacy be without sloganeering?

Live, Laugh, Love.

'Hilarious' pound shop wooden signs.

Home bars with imitation pub decor, that's going to be popular for obvious reasons right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

Just ordered some of those swanky tiles :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Paulzx

That's what a compromise is.

A communal bathroom separate from the room is an unpleasant option, a private bathroom separate from the room is ideal but not feasible, so we compromise and settle for a private bathroom that is attached to the room.

Compromise.

Eh....is that not an ensuite?

I'm confused:confused:

• Advertisement

Paulzx wrote: »
    Eh....is that not an ensuite?

I'm confused:confused:

Yes. Yes you are.

Here's what happened:

I said that I don't like ensuites, I consider them an unappealing compromise I am forced to make when I stay in hotels.

You said that hotels have to have ensuites because the alternatives are communal toilets or no toilets.

I said that that is why an ensuite is a compromise. It is a concession I make because it is the least objectionable of conceivable options. A compromise. It is both an ensuite and a compromise. Like the way a twix can be a chocolate bar and a treat.

You said that that a private toilet attached to the room is an ensuite as though that is new information. You added that you are confused, as though that, too, wasn't obvious to everyone else.

Advertisement