Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Faddy trends in home design

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭NSAman

boardlady wrote: »
    Himself is absolutely forbidden from taking a dump in the ensuite ... especially if it is bedtime and I am heading unwittingly up the stairs .. :()

Oh listen to her, have ya not got a fan in the ensuite?

So the poor guy takes a dump. Fan on air gets sucked out (perhaps a precursor to later ahem)

You'd swear that your perfumes (ladies some of it is bloody awful) and the myriad of loofa's, foot scrubs, bottles of this and that and the other, the combs and brushes that clog up the whole bathroom are invisible to us men? ;)

Allow the guy a dump...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭boardlady

NSAman wrote: »
    Oh listen to her, have ya not got a fan in the ensuite?

So the poor guy takes a dump. Fan on air gets sucked out (perhaps a precursor to later ahem)

You'd swear that your perfumes (ladies some of it is bloody awful) and the myriad of loofa's, foot scrubs, bottles of this and that and the other, the combs and brushes that clog up the whole bathroom are invisible to us men? ;)

Allow the guy a dump...;)

He can do it downstairs! It's not like he doesn't have options

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭fits

For us with the space available it was either walk in wardrobe or en suite. I generally just don’t like small dark en suite bathrooms and hate clutter so the walk in wardrobe won out. And there’s no clutter in our bedroom at all - it’s a haven.

theteal wrote: »
    Baaa, some of us have no other option in these times of massive TVs (I tried all alternatives positions). Meh, we sit 4m+ away so my initial concerns have not come to fruition. Tbh I'd do away with the fireplace if it were up to me.

I don't get why people need such massive TVs?

I have a 32" at eye level, and its perfectly adequate!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

last two TVs we've had have been 40in .... I wouldn't want any bigger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭NSAman

*Snip*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Depends on the room size, our sofa is 5m away from the couch so we have a 50 inch and it looks the right size for our room, if the couch was right in front of the TV that'd be a different story

GingerLily wrote: »
    Depends on the room size, our sofa is 5m away from the couch so we have a 50 inch and it looks the right size for our room, if the couch was right in front of the TV that'd be a different story

I agree in theory, the size of the room does have a part to play.

I admit its a pet hate of mine when the first thing your eye is drawn to when you walk into a room, is a huge TV. It overwhelms the room if its too big.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

The smallest size my main TV model came in was 58" - which is the one we have. The TV it replaced was a 14 year old 32" that now lives in my office. The room is 5*5, the old telly was waaaaay too small

Top end models standard size is 55" these days. You can get 48"/49" models as of 2020 but they're charging more than the 55" :confused:

theteal wrote: »
    Top end models standard size is 55" these days. You can get 48"/49" models as of 2020 but they're charging more than the 55" :confused:

I don't need a top end model. :)

My 32" is about three years old and cost less then 300 quid, and fits very nicely in one corner of the room.

Does the job!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭Treppen

Elephant's Breath

It's fecken grey

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭headtheball14

Herringbone Floors, I have liked them but they are shoehorned now into every new build ive been to in last few years.
    Think they will look very dated in the near future. Also the panelling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Beige tile bathrooms. Oh jesus every house in ireland i think is covered in biege biscuity tiles. Sweet jesus. Oh it lovely yeah.

Magnolia walls with faux black leather couches. Sure sign of a rental house

• Registered Users Posts: 16,313 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Herringbone Floors, I have liked them but they are shoehorned now into every new build ive been to in last few years.
    Think they will look very dated in the near future. Also the panelling

Traditional, old herringbone floors are beautiful if the original character of a house is respected. They were usually in the grand rooms of big houses.

It doesn't work in small rooms or with laminate though.

Ditto for traditional panelling, but not mock panelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

Polished concrete

Double height rooms

• Registered Users Posts: 11,853 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Treppen wrote: »
    Elephant's Breath

It's fecken grey

Beautiful colour.

Its not grey.

It's a mix of brown, magenta, grey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

And we have a very large one which is essentially a separate room from the bedroom - not carved out of it. He is a smelly b***ard!

You need to feed him better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Himself is absolutely forbidden from taking a dump in the ensuite ...
    Is that the rule now, when buying houses? No sh/ting in the ensuite, it's not designed for that? :P

When you are young, people never tell you about how much of romantic relationships is just avoiding hearing one another poop, but it's a lot.

El Tarangu wrote: »
    When you are young, people never tell you about how much of romantic relationships is just avoiding hearing one another poop, but it's a lot.

doyle.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

This is a brilliant thread and certainly an eye opener.

We're trying to buy a house and I was all about an en-suite, less so now after reading this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭Allinall

aquinn wrote: »

We're trying to buy a house and I was all about an en-suite, less so now after reading this.

If you want an en suite, then buy a house with one.

Don’t base your decisions on what other people think..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Allinall wrote: »
    If you want an en suite, then buy a house with one.

Don’t base your decisions on what other people think..

Prightoff. Your post is unnecessarily aggressive.

Am well able to make own decisions but always good to have others opinions too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,769 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Prightoff. Your post is unnecessarily aggressive.

Am well able to make own decisions but always good to have others opinions too.

Tbh I didn't read the post as aggressive.

We don't have an en suite and tbh I'd love one especially with kids in the mix. It would just give an extra layer of privacy.

I think some issues with en suites were they were badly designed.

He can do it downstairs! It's not like he doesn't have options

:D

I wouldn't buy a house without a decent size ensuite, just make sure it has a window so it isn't a dark cupboard that becomes a breathing ground for mould.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭tscul32

I live with my husband and 3 boys. The ensuite is mine. Husband is just about allowed to use it, in the middle of the night, just to pee.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

I wouldn't buy a house without a decent size ensuite, just make sure it has a window so it isn't a dark cupboard that becomes a breathing ground for mould.

We've a new build with heat exchange and the ensuite is well vented without a window (all the bathrooms have vents out, never have an issues and three years in

Not sure you'll make great decisions based on the information in this thread. People love slagging off what they don't have themselves and much of it, in reality, boils down to the old green eyed monster.

For lots of people, an en suite bathroom is a huge convenience and a great thing to have in a house, especially with children. Lots of people put wardrobes or walk-in wardrobes between the bedroom and the bathroom so they feel like separate rooms but still closed off from the rest of the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Ah stop, I'd have to change my whole house if I was swayed by this thread.

• Advertisement

GingerLily wrote: »
    We've a new build with heat exchange and the ensuite is well vented without a window (all the bathrooms have vents out, never have an issues and three years in

Do you not miss natural light? I put makeup on in my ensuite and prefer to have daylight for it.

Advertisement