Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blindboy Podcast

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

It's not like he works for a State Broadcaster or something, he can express whatever opinion he wants (within reason)

I've heard him talk about stuff like direct provision and climate change, I don't think you could call him neutral and objective when talking about those issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭onrail

2011abc wrote: »
    I cancelled my Patreon debit to him this morning .He was pushing masks rabidly even before the government and now today hes taking digs at those with opposing views to him re Lockdowns /'Pandemic' etc In a world where many issues are split almost 50/50 anybody in business or dealing with public would do well to remain genuinely neutral and objective .

To be fair he makes a point of emphasising his editorial control to do and say whatever the fck he wants. I certainly don't agree with all of his opinions and ideals, but still find the pod entertaining most of the time. Enough to warrant throwing him a few € at the end of the month.

Of course it's your choice to turn off, and go find yourself a nice comfortable echo chamber.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Ugh. Emma Dabiri again today. I exercised my right to switch off. Absolute snorefest.

Shame, a good few decent podcasts recently. His twitch about the Man from Longford Town had me in stitches.

Ugh. Emma Dabiri again today. I exercised my right to switch off. Absolute snorefest.

Shame, a good few decent podcasts recently. His twitch about the Man from Longford Town had me in stitches.

Not a fan of the wokecasts, myself. The main reason why I'm not a patron.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Not a fan of the wokecasts, myself. The main reason why I'm not a patron.

How can you criticise something when you didn't listen to it.

• Advertisement

cloudatlas wrote: »
    How can you criticise something when you didn't listen to it.

I've heard enough of them to know when to avoid them. Plus the description tells you what the topic is "what white people can do next" is the title of the discussion.

I don't appreciate being categorised like that. I'm an individual, not a race.

I've heard enough of them to know when to avoid them. Plus the description tells you what the topic is "what white people can do next" is the title of the discussion.

I don't appreciate being categorised like that. I'm an individual, not a race.

She says in the first 5 minutes that the title was deliberately provocative and that she would spend the first chapter deconstructing that idea but of course you didn't listen so you wouldn't know!

She says in the first 5 minutes that the title was deliberately provocative and that she would spend the first chapter deconstructing that idea but of course you didn't listen so you wouldn't know!

I'm not a race, thanks. I'm not wasting hours of my life listening to that waffle.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭dog_pig

If you have listened to the full show can you tell me to whom the author is referring when the term "white people" is used? As in, white people in the US or white people in Ireland?

I've had a look at information about this new book but haven't been able to find an answer. I was going to listen to the show but the idea that a history academic would be provocative in this way on a topic as charged as race, is not something I'm sure I want to support.

dog_pig wrote: »
    If you have listened to the full show can you tell me to whom the author is referring when the term "white people" is used? As in, white people in the US or white people in Ireland?

I've had a look at information about this new book but haven't been able to find an answer. I was going to listen to the show but the idea that a history academic would be provocative in this way on a topic as charged as race, is not something I'm sure I want to support.

She has a reservation in what the current movement is doing trying to teach white people and that's why she is trying to address the frameworks. She seems to be saying that the biological terms/labels of ‘white’ and ‘black’ should be erased, due to them only reinforcing racism and the exploitation of one group of people. 'Black' and 'White' is an English innovation and a colonial innovation. She talks about how race is invented to create racism.

They discuss colonialism, pro slavery Irish lobby in the states after the famine. Capitalism.

She says that the whole allyship framework is deeply patronising and that she would prefer that there is a coalition to work towards common goals as allyship reinforces a power dynamic of the 'benevolent white' benefactor and black victim.

I found it quite interesting and it didn't trigger me at all. I listen to podcasts where people are interviewed who I don't agree with the Jordan Peterson
    podcast etc., and a lot of the time I find at least one thing I agree with but it's always interesting.

• Advertisement

She has a reservation in what the current movement is doing trying to teach white people and that's why she is trying to address the frameworks. She seems to be saying that the biological terms/labels of ‘white’ and ‘black’ should be erased, due to them only reinforcing racism and the exploitation of one group of people. 'Black' and 'White' is an English innovation and a colonial innovation. She talks about how race is invented to create racism.

They discuss colonialism, pro slavery Irish lobby in the states after the famine. Capitalism.

She says that the whole allyship framework is deeply patronising and that she would prefer that there is a coalition to work towards common goals as allyship reinforces a power dynamic of the 'benevolent white' benefactor and black victim.

I found it quite interesting and it didn't trigger me at all. I listen to podcasts where people are interviewed who I don't agree with the Jordan Peterson
    podcast etc., and a lot of the time I find at least one thing I agree with but it's always interesting.

Thanks for responding. So is she referring to white people in the US or white people in Ireland, or somewhere else?

Thanks for responding. So is she referring to white people in the US or white people in Ireland, or somewhere else?

Listen to the podcast, it's clear she is trying to deconstruct racial categories. I'm going out to enjoy the sun while it lasts :cool:

Listen to the podcast, it's clear she is trying to deconstruct racial categories. I'm going out to enjoy the sun while it lasts :cool:

Fair play, did the same thing myself. Great weather.

Whether or not the author is trying to deconstruct racial categories isn't relevant to the question I asked though. If you don't know the answer then that's fine, but you did choose to respond to me.
    She has a reservation in what the current movement is doing trying to teach white people and that's why she is trying to address the frameworks.

You yourself used the term here. Which specific group of people were you referring to in this case?

Fair play, did the same thing myself. Great weather.

Whether or not the author is trying to deconstruct racial categories isn't relevant to the question I asked though. If you don't know the answer then that's fine, but you did choose to respond to me.

You yourself used the term here. Which specific group of people were you referring to in this case?

Ye'd be better off listening to the podcast I don't have a phd in African studies nor have I experienced racism growing up in Ireland so I can't really wax lyrical on it but the podcast is harmless in my view at least, I didn't find it triggering more thought provoking than anything.

Ye'd be better off listening to the podcast I don't have a phd in African studies nor have I experienced racism growing up in Ireland so I can't really wax lyrical on it but the podcast is harmless in my view at least, I didn't find it triggering more thought provoking than anything.

I don't see how someone would need a PhD in African studies nor experience of racism to determine which group of people she is referring to. Thanks anyway.

Argument from authority is a common fallacy these days.

I don't see how someone would need a PhD in African studies nor experience of racism to determine which group of people she is referring to. Thanks anyway.

I couldn't of put it any clearer, they discuss the pro slavery Irish lobby in the states who are obviously white and the benevolent 'white' benefactor and people who get it wrong in terms of being white allys but don't take a collaborative approach.

Now you are just asking questions in bad faith couched in false politeness at this stage as you clearly won't listen to the episode no matter what I say and had no intention of doing so. :pac: I couldn't give a damn to be honest with you I just didn't like seeing it being misrepresented by people who hadn't listened to the podcast as you have absolutely no clue whatsoever what you are attacking, could you imagine going to other threads and doing the same, 'oh I haven't read this book, seen this film or listened to this but here's my uninformed opinion lads'. So 'Thanks anyway'.

If blindboy decides to calm it on the wokecasts I'll consider contributing.

I can easily afford to, but I currently listen for free.

Snarf!

I couldn't of put it any clearer, they discuss the pro slavery Irish lobby in the states who are obviously white and the benevolent 'white' benefactor and people who get it wrong in terms of being white allys but don't take a collaborative approach.

I genuinely don't think you've been clear at all. Are you saying that it's white people in America that are being referenced?
    Now you are just asking questions in bad faith couched in false politeness at this stage as you clearly won't listen to the episode no matter what I say and had no intention of doing so. :pac:

How can you possibly think I'm asking questions in bad faith? In my first post I stated my reasons for not listening, I repeated the same question when you didn't appear to answer it in your replies. Consider it false politeness if you like, I appreciated you taking the time to respond regardless of whether I agree with the content.
    I couldn't give a damn to be honest with you I just didn't like seeing it being misrepresented by people who hadn't listened to the podcast as you have absolutely no clue whatsoever what you are attacking

I haven't misrepresented anything from the podcast, how could I possibly do that if I haven't listened to it? What have I attacked? I'm sorry you feel this way but it seems like you are getting worked up about something that you've perceived in your own head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

If blindboy decides to calm it on the wokecasts I'll consider contributing.

I can easily afford to, but I currently listen for free.

Snarf!
    ##

the wokecasts are the very reason i stopped listening and i got to 80 or 90 from the very start. i just couldnt take his holier than thou bull****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

I avoided listening to this podcast for years because I thought it was going to be superwoke. However, it's not like I expected. It find it very compelling, particularly his response to mainstream media and how it's really just old school and on the way out. I knew this already but he gave first-hand experiences from a person in the public eye. Great episode.

Also, the episode about lobster and how it was a food associated with the poor and was remarketed to higher classes changing the public perception of lobster forever.

There was an interview with documentary filmmaker Adam Curtis too. Great episode.

Also Blindboy's experience of our schooling system. His insight/hypothesis for why teachers were disagreeable with him partly due to him growing up in an adult family where he was the youngest and all his siblings were adults. This contributed to him talking to teachers/adults as equals and not so like a adult/child (respect your elders, dynamic).

For a man that's failed his Leaving, he's doing all right for himself.

There might be one or two things I'll disagree with anyone, but that doesn't discredit the value I get from the majority of their work with some exceptions.... I don't like when people get too preachy with politics. Not saying Blindboy does but Marc Maron does. I was no fan of Trump but I didn't hold it against acquaintances I have in the US that did vote for him. In fact. those people I know that did support him really broke the mold and MSM perception of the "racist" and "bigotted" Trump supporter. It just shone more of a light on the reality of what was happening and what the MSM was putting out. Anyway, my point is Maron got really preachy and alluded to 'anyone that voted for Trump is a Nazi' type of rhetoric a 12-year-old might think (no offence to 12yos). And I got to admit, it put me off him. It was unnecessary. Why alienate those people? You've automatically shut down any discourse by just branding anyone you disagree on how your country should be run as a Nazi.

I find Blindboy to be much more nuanced. So far I haven't experienced him being preachy or worse condemning of people he might disagree with on certain issues. I think he's too high in openness to do so. He's got that creative brain and intellectual curiosity that allows his content to be open anyone that share those traits, whether you agree with him or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Senior

I avoided this podcast for years but have binged on it in the last week. Some of the best content I have ever listened to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dannyriver

I avoided listening to this podcast for years because I thought it was going to be superwoke. However, it's not like I expected. It find it very compelling, particularly his response to mainstream media and how it's really just old school and on the way out. I knew this already but he gave first-hand experiences from a person in the public eye. Great episode.

Also, the episode about lobster and how it was a food associated with the poor and was remarketed to higher classes changing the public perception of lobster forever.

There was an interview with documentary filmmaker Adam Curtis too. Great episode.

Also Blindboy's experience of our schooling system. His insight/hypothesis for why teachers were disagreeable with him partly due to him growing up in an adult family where he was the youngest and all his siblings were adults. This contributed to him talking to teachers/adults as equals and not so like a adult/child (respect your elders, dynamic).

For a man that's failed his Leaving, he's doing all right for himself.

There might be one or two things I'll disagree with anyone, but that doesn't discredit the value I get from the majority of their work with some exceptions.... I don't like when people get too preachy with politics. Not saying Blindboy does but Marc Maron does. I was no fan of Trump but I didn't hold it against acquaintances I have in the US that did vote for him. In fact. those people I know that did support him really broke the mold and MSM perception of the "racist" and "bigotted" Trump supporter. It just shone more of a light on the reality of what was happening and what the MSM was putting out. Anyway, my point is Maron got really preachy and alluded to 'anyone that voted for Trump is a Nazi' type of rhetoric a 12-year-old might think (no offence to 12yos). And I got to admit, it put me off him. It was unnecessary. Why alienate those people? You've automatically shut down any discourse by just branding anyone you disagree on how your country should be run as a Nazi.

I find Blindboy to be much more nuanced. So far I haven't experienced him being preachy or worse condemning of people he might disagree with on certain issues. I think he's too high in openness to do so. He's got that creative brain and intellectual curiosity that allows his content to be open anyone that share those traits, whether you agree with him or not.

You re in good company.

https://twitter.com/Rubberbandits/status/1400940271890833412

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Senior

Did anyone listen to the recent one about the housing crisis? Really interesting stuff even if I did feel angry and frustrated at our government by the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Brackwom

It's wonderful and one of my favorite Podcasts is 13 steps I use to manage anxiety.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I prefer the arty farty Hieronymus Bosch podcasts over the Lynx Africa/Breakfast Roll podcasts.

Can he ever get away from his whole "failed the leaving" schtick though? he went to one of the best, free, secondary schools in Ireland. He grew up about half a mile from it in a pretty middle-class area. By any metric he is a child of extraordinary privilege, even within Ireland. In world terms, most people could never afford what he was given for free by the accident of his birth.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭mr.anonymous

I'm the same. Definitely prefer the more unique episodes and hot takes.

I listened to the Chicken Fillet Roll and Lynx Africa episodes together and he said a few times he's only doing them due to demand. Seems to be catering to the the lowest common denominator audience that he's complained about before.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

"by accident of his birth.."

Have you heard the episode of how/why he actually may have failed his Leaving? If so, I'd be happy to discuss the merits of his arguments with you. Regardless of where you are born or what privileges you may have been afforded, people will still go through; failures, failures of the system, poor judgements of authority figures, poor educators etc.

By your own argument about privilege, in "world terms" there should be no excuse for you or anyone in your family or anyone in Ireland to have fucked anything up in their lives because you are born into a western, civilized, European, 1st world, rich country with free education, an internet connection and a semi-functioning government with laws and subsidized 3rd level education and a generous enough welfare system.

Of course, we're all privileged to be born in Ireland, doesn't mean systems are perfect and people still aren't human and flawed.

• Advertisement

Of course there will always be excuses, or imo, more accurately, reasons, why people fail, I don't think I said or even suggested otherwise?

I just think it's intellectually dishonest of him to never address the fact by any metric he is a massively privileged person. I mean, he's far more privileged than even the average Irish person, let alone the average person anywhere. There are people dying today trying to escape places like Afghanistan who probably cannot comprehend the type of privilege that Blindboy seems to be unable to see he benefits from every day.

Advertisement