Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this common practice when selling a house?

Options
  • 05-04-2021 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 44

So I’m towards the end of the process of buying my first home.
    In the end we settled for 240k.

The sellers solicitor is now asking that the price on the transfer deed be reduced to 225k.

This figure of 225k according to the solicitor 240k minus 15k for furniture.

Is this normal practice?

Would appreciate hearing some opinions.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭Allinall

My first bid was 225k which was rejected.

The sellers solicitor is now asking that the price on the transfer deed be reduced to 225k.

This figure of 225k according to the solicitor and estate agent is 240k minus 15k for furniture.

I never ever agreed to buy any furniture and this is the 1st time I’ve ever heard of 15k number. If I was told furniture cost 15k I would of asked for it to be removed.

Is this normal practice or have I been scammed?

I’ve already transferred my 10% of the mortgage needed to my solicitor but my solicitor is holding off on requesting funds from my bank until this is sorted out.

What does your solicitor say?

It sounds like the seller is looking to reduce the sale price for some reason- possibly tax evasion.

Personally I would be reluctant to enter into such an arrangement.

Is there any “furniture “ included in the sale?

Sounds totally illegal. Can you pull out now?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I'd be putting a complaint into the PSRA, but I'm not sure that would help you much. Sellers may pull out if you don't play ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭headtheball14

This will reduce the tax they pay, also if they are dealing with a bank as in repossession this means that they can pay the bank 225 and pocket the rest. Ask them to detail the furniture and the price for each piece.
    It's basically fraudulent but not unheard of. Personally I wouldn't be keen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

Sounds like a bit of cash in hand for the seller, will usually say its for the purchase of furniture or a shed or something. You'll still be paying 240k if the furniture point is removed, they'll just have to pay the fees on the extra 15k. They may even pull out of the deal and find someone who's willing to pay part cash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭Xander10

Seems high value on furniture. Tell them you don't want the furniture and ask to agree to pay €15k less

• Registered Users Posts: 44 SurplusToys

I need to speak to my solicitor next week but he has concerns that changing the price on the title deeds might affect my loan offer from the bank.

There is furniture in the house and we told that it would be left there.
    No mention of 15k was ever mentioned.
    Honestly one of the 1st things we were going to do when we moved in was to get the furniture collected and donate it somewhere.

I'm not sure if it's too late to pull out.
    I do like the house but this (what seems like intentional deceit) has made me pretty angry to the point where I want to tell them to eff off

They are chancing their arm to be honest, depends if you think it will go for more ,were there any bidders before? You could go back with a lower offer .

If you haven't transferred the 10 percent or signed the contract you can pull out. You may have to pay solicitor fees but many will waive or reduce this if you go ahead with your final purchase

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

My first bid was 225k which was rejected.

This figure of 225k according to the solicitor and estate agent is 240k minus 15k for furniture.

I never ever agreed to buy any furniture and this is the 1st time I’ve ever heard of 15k number. If I was told furniture cost 15k I would of asked for it to be removed.

Is this normal practice or have I been scammed?

I’ve already transferred my 10% of the mortgage needed to my solicitor but my solicitor is holding off on requesting funds from my bank until this is sorted out.

my mother bought a house for 365k recently but the price for stamp duty was 362k

i dont see why you have a problem here ?, its a fairly common ( off the record ) approach, you are saving on stamp duty by over valuing the contents , what the vendor is saving should not concern you

• Advertisement

I've transferred 10% to my solicitor.
    As far as I'm aware my solicitor hasn't paid this to the seller yet.
    Am I stuck?

I was the only person who put an offer on the house. It had been on the market for about 6 months.

Xander10 wrote: »
    Seems high value on furniture. Tell them you don't want the furniture and ask to agree to pay €15k less

good luck with that in the current climate :rolleyes:

My solicitor told me the stamp duty would not be affected. The only thing that would be affected would be capital gains tax if I ever wanted to sell

mountain out of a molehill

My solicitor told me the stamp duty would not be affected. The only thing that would be affected would be capital gains tax if I ever wanted to sell

a house costing 225 K has a lower stamp duty bill than one at 240k , you are saving 150 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Am I stuck?

If you have signed the contract , you can’t pull out , but in this case, you should ask your solicitor.

This sounds like an attempt to get you to collude on tax evasion. It was the sellers solicitor who suggested this . Why did you ask if the estate agent scammed you ? What did the estate agent do ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I’m struggling to see how the EA scammed you, isn’t it the sellers solicitor who is requesting the new designation?

Does this change the price you agreed to pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

CGT on your primary residence?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

If seller lives there, not sure how the tax evasion angle would apply.

• Advertisement

huskerdu wrote: »
    If you have signed the contract , you can’t pull out , but in this case, you should ask your solicitor.

This sounds like an attempt to get you to collude on tax evasion. It was the sellers solicitor who suggested this . Why did you ask if the estate agent scammed you ? What did the estate agent do ?

The estate agent sent a letter to the seller last month stating that

"The sale has been agreed at 240k with 15k towards contents."

Friday was the 1st time I saw this letter when my solicitor forwarded it to me.

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    mountain out of a molehill

I really do hope its a mountain out of a molehill.

Could you elaborate on why you believe this please?

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

This is a case of the seller wanting to benefit at your expense or at least at no gain to you. Look for the compromise position where both you and the other party stand to gain and if they don't want to deal then either walk away or suck it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,436 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Am I stuck?

No , you can still back out at this stage with no loss (apart from your solicitor's bill).
    I was the only person who put an offer on the house. It had been on the market for about 6 months.

You can also lower your offer at this stage.

I dont really understand all of this but specifically he said CGT would be affected if I used the house as an investment property

The estate agent sent a letter to the seller last month stating that

"The sale has been agreed at 240k with 15k towards contents."

Friday was the 1st time I saw this letter when my solicitor forwarded it to me.

you are not being scammed , the house costs 240 k regardless of whether you are getting contents or no more than the bulb holders in the ceiling , if you have a moral objection to the whole thing , thats fine but thats all this is here , you are not being conned out of extra money

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

What if it's not his primary residence when they want to sell?

He will have to pay an extra €5k in CGT just for the benefit of this vendor.

Dav010 wrote: »
    If seller lives there, not sure how the tax evasion angle would apply.

The seller owned the house just to rent it out. They weren't living there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

I know someone who went ahead in a similar situation. Was 10 grand for the contents. She presumed at the time that it was a vulture fund/bank selling it and it was a way for the previous owner to get some money out of the sale.

As far as I'm aware her offer price was not bumped up by 10 grand. She just payed what she offered and 10 grand less went towards the house and went into the previous owners account. She had cash for 50% or so of the house so it was doable.

She's had no consequences from this, if that's any good to you OP. Maybe talk to your solictor?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭spodoinkle

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    you are not being scammed , the house costs 240 k regardless of whether you are getting contents or no more than the bulb holders in the ceiling , if you have a moral objection to the whole thing , thats fine but thats all this is here , you are not being conned out of extra money

If I bid 240 for a house and won, to be told when deposit paid "well actually you have paid 225 for the house and 15 for the contents you knew nothing about" how is it not a con

Advertisement