Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this common practice when selling a house?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

It's not €15k to furnish a house though. It's €15k for a pile of oul sh1te.

How do you know it’s a pile of sh1te? The property was previously rented, for all we know it was freshly furnished with plans for new tenants before a change of mind brought it to the market.

The sale is clearly listed a property and furnishings.

Perhaps the vendor could list the fridge, dryer, washer, beds, sofas etc on adverts.ie and sell them separately, but they don’t want the hassle so listed the sale as property and furnishings. For most people selling a PPR you wouldn’t bother listing them separately as there is no benefit, but in this scenario that would unfairly disadvantage the vendor.

You are suggesting that if a vendor includes a €1000 fridge in the sale they should pay €330 tax on its sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

The tax code doesn't allow you to designate a nominal €15k sale price for a pile of sh1te.

By reducing stamp duty, and possibly their future LPT liabililty.

It's not €15k to furnish a house though. It's €15k for a pile of oul sh1te.

Revenue have very strong anti-avoidance powers, both specific and general.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/self-assessment-and-self-employment/tax-avoidance/legislative-tools-to-challenge-tax-avoidance.aspx

If they choose to sniff around at the transaction, particularly by looking at previously published prices, they could decide to come after you for any loss of tax, with surcharges or interest or penalties on top.

Hard to see what benefit arises for you from this.

As usual you are so wrong on every aspect.

1 - House brochure clearly stated house + contents
    2 - €15k does not go far in furnishing a house - I recently put standard furnishings into a 4 bed rental property and it was over 15k
    3 - revenue look at what is a reasonable figure. IMO 10k is more reasonable if the furniture and fittings have had a fair bit of wear and tear
    4 - How do you know what the furniture is like - you are assuming what it is like. Thankfully Revenue don't use assumptions
    5 - Revenue do not come after the buyer. It is the seller that is making the gain. Stop the scaremongering which you parade about in so many of your posts and have been proven time and time and time again to be false

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Is the vendor going to walk away, given they had no other offers?

things can change on that front and might well have done since the property went sale agreed ?

of course if its in a very undesirable area , the vendor may indeed have little options , OP best placed to gauge this

• Registered Users Posts: 28,420 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Darc19 wrote: »
    As usual you are so wrong on every aspect.

1 - House brochure clearly stated house + contents
    2 - €15k does not go far in furnishing a house - I recently put standard furnishings into a 4 bed rental property and it was over 15k
    3 - revenue look at what is a reasonable figure. IMO 10k is more reasonable if the furniture and fittings have had a fair bit of wear and tear
    4 - How do you know what the furniture is like - you are assuming what it is like. Thankfully Revenue don't use assumptions
    5 - Revenue do not come after the buyer. It is the seller that is making the gain. Stop the scaremongering which you parade about in so many of your posts and have been proven time and time and time again to be false

The buyer said they were going to dump everything. Did you assume they were going to dump stuff that is really worth 15k?

Revenue will decide who they choose to go after, not you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

The buyer said they were going to dump everything. Did you assume they were going to dump stuff that is really worth 15k?

Revenue will decide who they choose to go after, not you.

Different strokes for different folks. Buyers often have their own furniture and/or different taste. Have you ever looked at photos of a property and thought the seller must be blind? that does not however mean the stuff was cheap. Would a Revenue officer be able to accurately value a house full of furniture? Would they care for €15k?

Remember, there is a difference between tax evasion and tax avoidance, one is illegal, the other may not be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,549 ✭✭✭dubrov

Is the vendor going to walk away, given they had no other offers?

Given they held out for 240k, it's very unlikely that they will now accept a reduced offer of 225k.

If someone went sale agreed at 240k with me and without reason downed their bid 225k, I'd be telling them to pay the originally agreed amount or the deal is dead

BTW, big up to the mod that changed the title. Only noticed now.

If the ad says 'house and contents' then I don't see a problem with this anymore. It then becomes tax avoidance rather than tax evasion, imho.

dubrov wrote: »
    Given they held out for 240k, it's very unlikely that they will now accept a reduced offer of 225k.

If someone went sale agreed at 240k with me and without reason downed their bid 225k, I'd be telling them to pay the originally agreed amount or the deal is dead

The buyer isn't downing anything. It is the seller that's changing the terms of the originally agreed amount.

Dav010 wrote: »
    Different strokes for different folks. Buyers often have their own furniture and/or different taste. Have you ever looked at photos of a property and thought the seller must be blind? that does not however mean the stuff was cheap. Would a Revenue officer be able to accurately value a house full of furniture? Would they care for €15k?

Remember, there is a difference between tax evasion and tax avoidance, one is illegal, the other may not be.

Who knows if Revenue would care. I certainly don't.

I suspect that those who are telling us that Revenue definitely won't care don't know either.

Who knows if Revenue would care. I certainly don't.

I suspect that those who are telling us that Revenue definitely won't care don't know either.

Sale listed as house plus contents, seller assigns value to contents which is by no means outlandish as anyone who has had to kit out a house will tell you, yet for some reason you think Revenue are going to send someone round to value the contents, seriously?

By the time Revenue get the details of the sale, someone has looked at the file, decided €15k might be “too high” a value, organises someone to go round and value the stuff, a lot of it will either be firewood, landfill or sold in done deal.

• Advertisement

Sale listed as house plus contents, seller assigns value to contents which is by no means outlandish as anyone who has had to kit out a house will tell you, yet for some reason you think Revenue are going to send someone round to value the contents, seriously?

By the time Revenue get the details of the sale, someone has looked at the file, decided €15k might be “too high” a value, organises someone to go round and value the stuff, a lot of it will either be firewood, landfill or sold in done deal.

The buyer told us that the price is outlandish.

He/she can dump it all the day the sale completes for the house plus contents he/she agreed to pay €240k for.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

I would personally not do it.

Why?

1. Seller is pocketing additional 15k plus 5k saving on cgt.

2. Artificially reduces your house value for remortgage, insurance, mortgage. 15k is a lot if your house burns down.

3. The contents aren't worth 15k unless they have a house full of valuable antique furniture.

Your options are

Tell them if they want to sell for 225 that's fine. You aren't paying for contents.

Put the actual price on the contract.

Your solicitor needs to grow a pair of balls.

I would personally not do it.

Why?

2. Artificially reduces your house value for remortgage, insurance, mortgage. 15k is a lot if your house burns down.

3. The contents aren't worth 15k unless they have a house full of valuable antique furniture.

Your options are

Tell them if they want to sell for 225 that's fine. You aren't paying for contents.

Seller is not pocketing an additional €15k, the op is paying what he/she bid for the advertised house plus contents.

Remortgage is based on the value of the house at the time you remortgage, not what you paid for it, insurance will only pay rebuild cost, not what you paid and a mortgage is based on the valuation report as submitted by an independent valuer, again, not what you bid for it.

How you know what the value of the furniture and appliances are, is a mystery.

Consider how you value the contents of your house for insurance, some might think it’s worthless rubbish, but to you it has value, and you have to put a value on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,042 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The buyer isn't downing anything. It is the seller that's changing the terms of the originally agreed amount.

This is incorrect.
    Buyer made an offer for house and furniture. It was accepted.
    Buyer now is claim offer was for house only.

Buyer is the one changing the offer after the fact.
    Then is onus is on them to counter offer. They have not do so. That's on them.

Why?

1. No idea how you figure they are pocketing that much ezxtra. 1/3 of 15k is not 20k.
    2. This is incorrect. OPs mortgage amount is as agreed with the bank. Ditto insurance
    3. If they were valuable anthiques they wouldn't be 15k. If OP didn't like that offer they could have adjusted it.

Your options are

They already offer 240k for house and contents.
    Trying to change this to 225k for house only makes them look extremely foolish. On What planet is that reduction acceptable?

People making 6 figure purchases need to read things like offers and contracts a lot better. Some extreme naivety in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

a mortgage is based on the valuation report as submitted by an independent valuer, again, not what you bid for it.

A mortgage will be based on the lower of the valuation report or the vprice paid.
    The valuer will be given the price offered and asked if it is worth that amount at least. The valuer does not come cold to the house and value it based on a hypothetical sale in ignorance of the actrual bid.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I need to speak to my solicitor next week but he has concerns that changing the price on the title deeds might affect my loan offer from the bank.

There is furniture in the house and we told that it would be left there.
    No mention of 15k was ever mentioned.
    Honestly one of the 1st things we were going to do when we moved in was to get the furniture collected and donate it somewhere.

I'm not sure if it's too late to pull out.
    I do like the house but this (what seems like intentional deceit) has made me pretty angry to the point where I want to tell them to eff off

Your loan offer will have to be updated. We had to do that at the end of last year when we negotiated the price down when we factored work in. Delayed the sale by 4 weeks as it took the bank that long to re issue their loan offer

godtabh wrote: »
    Your loan offer will have to be updated. We had to do that at the end of last year when we negotiated the price down when we factored work in. Delayed the sale by 4 weeks as it took the bank that long to re issue their loan offer

Why would the buyer accept a four week delay in their purchase? That will probably be costing them a couple of grand in rent on their existing home.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 SurplusToys

OP here!

I've learned a lot from reading all of the posts here, lots of really interesting points of view.

What I understand to be a matter of fact now is that there was no wrong doing on the part of either the EA or the vendor.
    The seller had a legal opportunity to save some cash in CGT and pursued that opportunity.

(That said, I feel the play was greedy but that's a subjective opinion that doesn't carry any legal weight. )

In my particular instance the seller conceded that deducting the cost of furnishings from the sale price was not what was originally agreed to and there will be no mention of it in deeds, contracts or anything else.

I am relieved.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 SurplusToys

Why would the buyer accept a four week delay in their purchase? That will probably be costing them a couple of grand in rent on their existing home.

Maybe they weren't getting any rent at all due to covid and people opting to return to their family homes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

OP here!

I've learned a lot from reading all of the posts here, lots of really interesting points of view.

What I understand to be a matter of fact now is that there was no wrong doing on the part of either the EA or the vendor.
    The seller had a legal opportunity to save some cash in CGT and pursued that opportunity.

(That said, I feel the play was greedy but that's a subjective opinion that doesn't carry any legal weight. )

In my particular instance the seller conceded that deducting the cost of furnishings from the sale price was not what was originally agreed to and there will be no mention of it in deeds, contracts or anything else.

I am relieved.

All is well that ends well and the most important thing is your happy.
    The up-side for you is that house prices are going up by the day around here anyway.
    You did not at any time say what deposit you paid. The reason i say is deposit 10% and 90% left to be paid.
    So if deposit €24k the house €240k etc, the other thing was a side-show that should have sorted without any stress for you.
    I would have my doubts about your solicitor but most of them are pretty dodgy anyway,
    The important thing is your happy with the outcome...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I am relieved.

Are you still paying 240k? Or 225?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

Caranica wrote: »
    Are you still paying 240k? Or 225?

I'd assume the OP is still paying 240k for the house & contents as agreed, it'll then be up to the seller to declare their income from the sale and split it whatever way they see fit.

As the house was only offered for sale with contents, I'd say the seller may have received advice that defining separate values for the two in the contract after the fact might not wash (and might impact the buyer's mortgage).

Best of luck with the new house OP, I'd say you'll be glad once its all done and dusted.

Advertisement