Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public service pay cut?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,267 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

ted1 wrote: »
    What we need to remember is that when you are in the PS/CS for every 1 euro extra you receive 52cents hoes back to the employer.
    Then when you spend it 21% goes back again to the employer

It is a lot more that 52%, if it is a euro over 60/70k.

Tax: 40%
    PRSI: 4%
    Superannuation: 5.5%
    USC: 8%
    Additional Superannuation Contribution: 10.5%

The real rate is around 62%.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭NovemberWren

They do pay Tax, PRSI, USC, etc. But so do Private Sector workers.

When a recession or a pandemic occurs, businesses are closed down and jobs are lost.

Yet, there is no worry for public sector (like librarians, some clerks etc.), whose public sector 'work business' is completely closed to the public; and continue to meet their mortgage payments, uninterrupted; the Salary continues and is safe.

When a recession or a pandemic occurs, businesses are closed down and jobs are lost.

Yet, there is no worry for public sector (like librarians, some clerks etc.), whose public sector 'work business' is completely closed to the public; and continue to meet their mortgage payments, uninterrupted; the Salary continues and is safe.

That's because they are redeployed to other departments and are still working.

DubInMeath wrote: »
    That's because they are redeployed to other departments and are still working.

Sure they are

• Registered Users Posts: 23,356 ✭✭✭✭ted1

blanch152 wrote: »
    It is a lot more that 52%, if it is a euro over 60/70k.

Tax: 40%
    PRSI: 4%
    Superannuation: 5.5%
    USC: 8%
    Additional Superannuation Contribution: 10.5%

The real rate is around 62%.

FFS YOU DONT COUNT SUPERANNUATION!!! If you were your discover you pay negative taxation
    It’s a pension like many other workers pay ( but get less back)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭plibige

I'm sure you are well aware that no airport or port can operate without customs staff there. The ports would literally stop without them. As in no food or medicine into the country.

So ye, some staff in the private sector couldn't work during a pandemic. But some staff such as gardai, nurses, customs officers, agricultural officers and justice staff couldn't stop whether they liked it or not.

We can sit around all day and point fingers at certain areas of the private or public sector and say "they didn't do as much as me" or "i think they are over payed". But whether you like it or not your logic of "librarians and clerks haven't been doing much" makes as much sense as saying, the bar down the road hasn't opened up since last March, therefore we should cut all AIB staffs pay

FFS YOU DONT COUNT SUPERANNUATION!!! If you were your discover you pay negative taxation
    It’s a pension like many other workers pay ( but get less back)

Jesus you shouldnt count taxes so, where does that stop?

Manys the poster will claim we get our pension for nothing. The more that see accurate pay figures and deduction figures the better imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

I hate them so much, I'm boiling with rage.

Jesus you shouldnt count taxes so, where does that stop?

Manys the poster will claim we get our pension for nothing. The more that see accurate pay figures and deduction figures the better imo.
    Pensions are not a tax

When comparing wages to private sector its USC, PAYE and PRSI
    Pensions are separate, public sectors pensions are worth a lot nonre than private sector. If you think they are not then you are disillusion all

i work for a state owned utility for my pension to match yours I’d need an extra 30 k a year.

Pensions are not a tax

Pensions are separate, public sectors pensions are worth a lot nonre than private sector. If you think they are not then you are disillusion all

i work for a state owned utility for my pension to match yours I’d need an extra 30 k a year.

Your point was that a ps worker cannot list their pension as a deduction because they get something for it

My point was that we all get something for our tax and using the logic above you shouldnt count tax a deduction, which we'd all agree is a ridiculous position

PS workers are clearly free to list their pension deduction as a deduction if they wish, anyone wanting to compare can deduct their own pension contribution likewise and we'll all sit here measuring our bits and bobs.

Moving on

Many times across many threads ive set out what many private sector pension packages are worth and what the different public sector packages are worth and what the comparable deductions might be.

I dont propose to do so in detail again but the type of blanket statement that says "public pension is worth a lot more than private sector" is pretty worthless- it depends totally on grade and scheme for the former and the package and employer contribution for the latter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,551 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Pensions are not a tax

Have you heard about the Single Pension Scheme?

Your point was that a ps worker cannot list their pension as a deduction because they get something for it

My point was that we all get something for our tax and using the logic above you shouldnt count tax a deduction, which we'd all agree is a ridiculous position

PS workers are clearly free to list their pension deduction as a deduction if they wish, anyone wanting to compare can deduct their own pension contribution likewise and we'll all sit here measuring our bits and bobs.

Moving on

Many times across many threads ive set out what many private sector pension packages are worth and what the different public sector packages are worth and what the comparable deductions might be.

I dont propose to do so in detail again but the type of blanket statement that says "public pension is worth a lot more than private sector" is pretty worthless- it depends totally on grade and scheme for the former and the package and employer contribution for the latter.

Which is why you just compare PAYE, PRSI and USC

• Registered Users Posts: 14,173 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Moving on

Irrespective of which pension is worth more, payment into a pension can hardly be listed as a deduction on your wage. To do so, deserves ridicule.

Have you heard about the Single Pension Scheme?

I have , my sisters a new sisters house are paying into it as they worked i the private sector but moved into teaching do they could holiday with their kids. They are chuffed it’s worth so much compared to what their private sector pension was.

Dav010 wrote: »
    Irrespective of which pension is worth more, payment into a pension can hardly be listed as a deduction on your wage. To do so, deserves ridicule.

Public service pension deductions aren't "payments into a pension". They are fairly arbitrary deductions, based on a promise of future payments.

Depends on context, and i wont argue as a rule. I wouldnt do so meself in a comparison, for instance

But I think when you have very general statements being made its valuable to be precise in these things though

And in the boards.ie merry go round of blunt-instrument statements about what PS pensions are worth, i think yeah absolutely keep reminding anyone reading that its neither free nor always incomparable to many schemes out there in the private sector

I have , my sisters a new sisters house are paying into it as they worked i the private sector but moved into teaching do they could holiday with their kids. They are chuffed it’s worth so much compared to what their private sector pension was.

Any details for us there by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,173 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Public service pension deductions aren't "payments into a pension". They are fairly arbitrary deductions, based on a promise of future payments.

Aren’t all pensions based on a promise of future payments?

I hope they're not teaching maths or business, as it seems they are not good at financial analysis.

No. Private sector DC schemes are literally a payment into a pension fund, often with the employer also making a payment into the fund, and the employee gets that fund on retirement.

For public sector pensions, there is no fund - just a reduced salary and a promise.

• Advertisement

I hope they're not teaching maths or business, as it seems they are not good at financial analysis.

No they are primary school teachers , but they are coming from fund management, the key driver is having school holidays been free to go abroad for the summer ( brother in law is French , so 3 months i France )

So their calculations are believable

No they are primary school teachers , but they are coming from fund management, the key driver is having school holidays been free to go abroad for the summer ( brother in law is French , so 3 months i France )

Any details there by any chance

No. Private sector DC schemes are literally a payment into a pension fund, often with the employer also making a payment into the fund, and the employee gets that fund on retirement.

For public sector pensions, there is no fund - just a reduced salary and a promise.

The days of DC are gone. I work for ESB no one who started in the past few decades has a DC pension

Any details there by any chance

Details on what ? A poster detailed eatkier what his/ her contributions are

Details on what ? A poster detailed eatkier what his/ her contributions are

Any details on the people you know who went from being fund managers to primary school teachers under the single scheme and canmot believe how much better their pensions are now

Like youve said twice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

Sounds suspicious and primary teachers don't get 3 months off, that's secondary. Why did they not convert to SS given their initial degrees to be involved in fund management?

New pension, especially if you join later, is awful. There are very good, acturial calculations done showing bar you definitely do 40 you may not even get back what you put in. I'd be interested in what calculations they are using, having joined late and without the option to buy notional service.

I'm on the second last pension. Not brilliant, jokingly call it the bronze but it will be better than an AVC. I've seen projections showing that may not be true of the new pension.

Pensions for the public and civil service in ireland are paid from direct taxation, it's stupid and certainly not the best way of doing it with an aging population but forward planning has never been and irish strength

Primary school teachers don't get three months holidays so again, it looks like they are spectacularly bad at calculations.

But if you'd like to share them, we can see for sure.

Primary school teachers don't get three months holidays so again, it looks like they are spectacularly bad at calculations.

But if you'd like to share them, we can see for sure.

To be fair to Ted hes working off what theyve told him

Its likely that they just explained it badly, because fund managers arent likely to have made such basic errors as radically overvaluing their pension entitlements or getting their own holidays incorrect by 50%, right?

Ted you can see why i said its important to be precise, i hope?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,135 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

No.

PS pensions are unfunded, they are based on promises.

Most private sector pensions are funded, backed by accumulated assets.

• Advertisement

Sounds suspicious and primary teachers don't get 3 months off, that's secondary. Why did they not convert to SS given their initial degrees to be involved in fund management?

July. August, +2weeks in March and October

Advertisement