Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public service pay cut?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭kippy

salonfire wrote: »
    Same as in the private sector.

Each department or management team is given a budget to spend accordingly on salaries. Then distribute according to a bell curve on that department with the best performers getting the most and the poorest getting the least.

Allows for some flexibility in rewarding work and allows managers show appreciation in a more meaningful way.

Outside of this, everyone gets an increase or decrease in line with Cost of Living and economy performance.

Also, I'd allow for a cost of living allowance if the workplace was in Dublin or the cities.

This is fine in a company whose main aim is to make money and targets are primarily based around easily definable goals.
    Not easily implemented in the public sector who, by it's very nature cannot pick and choose who it serves based on a CBA.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

kippy wrote: »
    This is fine in a company whose main aim is to make money and targets are primarily based around easily definable goals.
    Not easily implemented in the public sector who, by it's very nature cannot pick and choose who it serves based on a CBA.

Then in that case, if a poor performer or exceptional performer cannot be readily identified than everybody gets the same salary across the board more or less.

Someone constantly late for work or taking sickies should be easily identified for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭kippy

salonfire wrote: »
    Then in that case, if a poor performer or exceptional performer cannot be readily identified than everybody gets the same salary across the board more or less.

Someone constantly late for work or taking sickies should be easily identified for example.

That's pretty much what happens now....with improvements in PIP in a lot of areas over the past few years. Including sick leave management.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Reading this thread hurts my brain, it's like watching a really **** game of Tennis.

FWIW, I'd like to see anyone on under 30k get their 2% pay RESTORATION in October, but personally, I would have no problem foregoing it until the crisis is over and I daresay most other PS workers on reasonable pay wouldn't either.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

God this thread is toxic (much like Boards which is why I rarely post anymore). This was a topic about the possibility of a public service pay cut where pay has still not been restored since the last recession. It has turned into a who has a bigger d!ck argument and it's ridic. We're all just trying to make a living and get on with things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,356 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

You don't think that I make sacrifices to pay that much into my pension?
    12k would be 30% of my income. 25k is 60%.

I'm surprised nobody ever mentioned this:

https://www.revenue.ie/en/jobs-and-pensions/pensions/tax-relief-for-pension-contributions.aspx

Paying more into a pension without tax relief is extremely foolish as it makes for a very poor investment due to the hefty commissions and charges the financial services industry cream off. I don't believe anyone with that amount of disposable income would be that stupid. You never know, though...

enricoh wrote: »
    I was responding to the text below by Dublin girl that the banking crisis had nothing to do with the public sector. We had a regulator who was utterly incompetent n didn't rein in the lending. That was his job.

No. His job was to carry out government policy, which was to implement the lightest-touch 'regulation' possible. And the private sector bankers all told him everything was hunky dory even when they knew privately the wheels were falling off.

FF wanted the boom to keep getting boomier because it got them elected. It also made their buddies very rich which might have had a bearing on their thinking also...
    Btw the banking crisis debt is only a small percentage of the national debt, unsustainable welfare and ps rates are the real issue.

Well duh. We couldn't just stop paying welfare and providing public services when the private sector wrecked the economy, running a substantial deficit was inevitable.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Bobby2004

Just my 2 cents on the matter for what's it's worth. Relatively new to civil service. I came from the private sector working for a German discounter in retail management. Made more at that but was a dogs life working all sorts of odd hours. Main reason I joined CS was for the stability, Mon to Fri hours. I work no less hard than my previous retail position. I often work 9 to 10 hour days and give my current role 110% and try and help in any way I can to any correspondence or interaction with the Public. I travel 70min each way to my job but I enjoy it and hope to progress. I went back to education late in life and got a degree and always give everything to any role asked of me. Just wondering what planet people are living on that they think there should be 10% 20% or I even seen in a post somewhere 35% reduction in my pay. I earn €957 fortnightly! When you take what I pay to put diesel in a car I'm no better off than a person on PUP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭kravmaga

mariaalice wrote: »
    Will, there be public service pay cuts and cuts to services themselves after COVID 19? interesting discussion on RTE 1 radio about this, on the other hand, the likes of David McWilliams take a different view on how we can pay for this.

??? We are not getting a pay cut, we are getting a pay increase.

This all goes back to post 2008 pay cuts in the civil service.

Its a deal on restoration of pay, nothing unusual here.

I dont care how the government pay for it to be honest.

Bobby2004 wrote: »
    Just my 2 cents on the matter for what's it's worth. Relatively new to civil service. I came from the private sector working for a German discounter in retail management. Made more at that but was a dogs life working all sorts of odd hours. Main reason I joined CS was for the stability, Mon to Fri hours. I work no less hard than my previous retail position. I often work 9 to 10 hour days and give my current role 110% and try and help in any way I can to any correspondence or interaction with the Public. I travel 70min each way to my job but I enjoy it and hope to progress. I went back to education late in life and got a degree and always give everything to any role asked of me. Just wondering what planet people are living on that they think there should be 10% 20% or I even seen in a post somewhere 35% reduction in my pay. I earn €957 fortnightly! When you take what I pay to put diesel in a car I'm no better off than a person on PUP.

Welcome to the public service, you will soon realise there are some real haters out there. You will just learn to ignore them or wind them up for a bit of entertainment. They have no influence. Some disgruntled loser calling for a 35% pay cut is just venting. Nothing they can do about your pay levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,427 ✭✭✭✭ted1

As I said before you need a union to get the proper pay and conditions.
    Can’t beat a good union behind you.

Strongly disagree.
    I’ve worked for Dublin City Council , IBM , MOTOROLA, INTEL, an SME and a large Irish utility that supplies electricity.

Out of all them Intel, Motorola and IBM were not unionised and looked after their employees best. Regular increments, several different yearly bonuses , benefits , health insurance , sick leave etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,252 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

You made that choice, nobody made that for you, a lot of people in the private sector have travel/time costs, but don’t have the job stability/security, so don’t whinge about how much you take home.

Personally I wouldn’t call for pay cuts, but if money is tight, is it is in many private businesses where people are being laid off, pay rises should not even be considered for the CS.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭gizmo23

Dav010 wrote: »
    You made that choice, nobody made that for you, a lot of people in the private sector have travel/time costs, but don’t have the job stability/security, so don’t whinge about how much you take home.

I dont see him whinging he was merely stating facts ... and your right he/she took on the job KNOWING exactly what the starting pay was..

As would anyone with the public service and great thing is anyone can join once they meet the very limited criteria.

It's like why WHINGE about the public service pay when you never attempted or weren't good enough to join ?? Ye know what I mean

kravmaga wrote: »

Its a deal on restoration of pay, nothing unusual here..

When your pay increases, it’s a pay rise. PS/CS seem to hate saying “pay rise”, a lot of private sector workers had their pay slashed in 2008, none of them use the phrase “pay restoration” to describe wage increases since then.

Personally I wouldn’t call for pay cuts, but if money is tight, is it is in many private businesses where people are being laid off, pay rises should not even be considered for the CS.
    Personally I'm not looking for a raise but don't feel should be made take drastic cuts such as 10 20 or 35% which has been bandied around. I've worked in both private and public now and the majority in the service only looking for a decent paycheck same as anyone else. The likes of me and many of my colleagues are not the ones that make decisions about pay.

gizmo23 wrote: »
    I dont see him whinging he was merely stating facts ... and your right he/she took on the job KNOWING exactly what the starting pay was..

As would anyone with the public service and great thing is anyone can join once they meet the very limited criteria.

It's like why WHINGE about the public service pay when you never attempted or weren't good enough to join ?? Ye know what I mean

Ya, that’s a whinge.
    take what I pay to put diesel in a car I'm no better off than a person on PUP.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭gizmo23

Ya, that’s a whinge.

Really ?? I would see it as stating a personal fact and adding context to a discussion. I believe a whinge would be " I dont get enough" and " I need more". Or " public / civil servants get paid to much cut them ".

Want my take as a Clerical Officer on point 5 of the scale (547 euro before tax)?

Pretty soon every fake refugee in the world will be able to come to Ireland and get a free house and probably a college education too. And I'm supposed to feel bad about my 2% pay restoration over the next two years?

Are. You. Serious?

Leaving aside the xenophobia, you should never feel bad about a pay rise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭cms88

When your pay increases, it’s a pay rise. PS/CS seem to hate saying “pay rise”, a lot of private sector workers had their pay slashed in 2008, none of them use the phrase “pay restoration” to describe wage increases since then.

It's funny when you hear this. How can someone who joined after 08 be getting a “pay restoration”? Seeing as they were never on thoe wages beforehand.

Who knew only people in the public service had to to put diesel in a car :confused:

Well what's stopping you from getting the PUP?

kravmaga wrote: »
    ??? We are not getting a pay cut, we are getting a pay increase.

Its a deal on restoration of pay, nothing unusual here.

I dont care how the government pay for it to be honest.

How is a person who joined after 08 getting a ''restoration''

• Advertisement

Want my take as a Clerical Officer on point 5 of the scale (547 euro before tax)?

Pretty soon every fake refugee in the world will be able to come to Ireland and get a free house and probably a college education too. And I'm supposed to feel bad about my 2% pay restoration over the next two years?

Are. You. Serious?

No and you should not have to. As I was trying to get at but maybe did not make clear enough I don't see why PS shud take drastic cuts. I had a decent paid job in retail. I got yearly bonuses. Do we tax the people that work in that sector by huge amounts. No that would be insane!

I'm happy enough considering I'm just in the door. Be only a year come Sept.

Whatever does come by way of an increase is only going to be swallowed up by inflation.

Anyway don't want to cause ill feeling amongst anyone. I would hope that when things open up that those with jobs can spend in the local community again and hope we see the back of COVID next year.

cms88 wrote: »
    Who knew only people in the public service had to to put diesel in a car :confused:

Well what's stopping you from getting the PUP?

Because I'm in a job. PUP is if you lost employment. I don't begrudge anyone on it. I had to avail of job seekers in the past when I was temp out of work but my point kinda was what kind of cuts do people wish to see. I'm not on big wages as it is and work hard at my job like plenty do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭hamburgham

Are. You. Serious?

What are your skills or qualifications? What do you think you could earn elsewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭plibige

"I've got no idea what the majority of public sector workers do, how hard they work or what their skills are, but I read/heard somewhere that they are lazy and don't do much, so I'd say cut their pay! Plus I'm a private sector worker so by default I'm better than these sponges...."

I have no skills or qualifications.

None?

I have a meme degree.

I just go in, hammer some keys on the computer and then go home and get drunk.

If Carlsberg made jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭NovemberWren

3% over 3 years. Public service like Revenue, Justice, Health (which is massively overstaffed? for the votes); are absolutely needed of course. And other public sector areas that are the pillars of the society.

The weird thing is though, the jobs are always there to be done; it is just that applicants (and Unions' + Govts. cahoots), seem to forget exactly this.

Jobs.

The work always needs to be done - is always there.
    Yet, applicants always misconstrue this, to be;- 'them', themselves;- when it is actually the 'jobs', that always have to be there. Not necessarily any one employee.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,347 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

plibige wrote: »
    "I've got no idea what the majority of public sector workers do, how hard they work or what their skills are, but I read/heard somewhere that they are lazy and don't do much, so I'd say cut their pay! Plus I'm a private sector worker so by default I'm better than these sponges...."

Rinse and repeat from the usual sources.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

When the economy is booming public sector are silly when they could be earning more money in the private sector.

When the economy is in the ****ter public sector are leeches who are massively overpaid.... Its weird that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,427 ✭✭✭✭ted1

What we need to remember is that when you are in the PS/CS for every 1 euro extra you receive 52cents hoes back to the employer.
    Then when you spend it 21% goes back again to the employer

Advertisement