Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Line of Duty (BBC) **Spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Is this worth a watch from the start? I know nothing about it and only just realised it's not an American cop show, which I had assumed it was. I don't like US cop shows, but like some British ones. The quick synopsis on google sounds dull, but I gather there's some hype around the show based on snippets in the media this week. Not looking back in the thread to avoid spoilers, but would appreciate a recommendation or otherwise!

I think it depends on what british ones you like, it's not your typical Midsomer Murders/Morse mystery per week. I would definitely recommend giving it a go though, it's not like any American cop show either.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,928 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Is this worth a watch from the start? I know nothing about it and only just realised it's not an American cop show, which I had assumed it was. I don't like US cop shows, but like some British ones. The quick synopsis on google sounds dull, but I gather there's some hype around the show based on snippets in the media this week. Not looking back in the thread to avoid spoilers, but would appreciate a recommendation or otherwise!

Yes it’s worth it, ignore the hype

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

Yes, great show, quite envious you are starting from the start!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I was a late-comer to this - I think Series 4 was showing when I finally got around to watching Series 1. So I binged on three or four series, and tbh I got a bit sick of it by the end! I only got around to watching Series 5 just before this one, to catch up.

It's completely OTT, but also completely compelling - if I were starting out again, I'd just watch a series and give it a break.

It's utterly bonkers, but great watching!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,449 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

The first episode or two are a bit off, but stick with it. Bear in mind that they are nearly 10 years old now too, so things like technology etc have improved since. Once you get into the middle of series 1 & 2, it's fantastic viewing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Definitely worth a watch from the start, I won't spoil it for you but there's definite character growth even within the first season so stick with it even if you might find the first episode or two a bit off

Just be prepared that there's a change in focus between seasons 1 + 2 - 1 focuses mainly on the protagonist Tony Gates whereas from season 2 onwards it puts the focus more onto the members of AC-12

I also envy you for being able to watch it completely fresh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭Wallet Inspector

I saw bits of episodes, which looked unreal, so put it on the list.

Finally got around to starting from scratch in 2019. It took me a couple of attempts on the intro to episode one - I was thinking "ok this is nothing like those few great later bits I saw"... it drops you right into the Line of Duty "culture". No build-up/setting the scene - just a confusing armed police event with stuff happening all over the place, and the esoteric police terminology being thrown at you. It's a bit off-putting I think.

But that's only the beginning - it moves on quickly, and things are explained. You can't tune out for a nanosecond though. But it gets utterly utterly brilliant imo.

I binged series one to four in only over a week (I was off sick for some if it - working full-time for the rest). You'd fly through them. Being BBC, episodes are actually an hour (which is great) but the series are short - only five or six episodes. The new series is seven which is the longest of all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I think I'll give it a go so. Thanks for the info!

I think I'll give it a go so. Thanks for the info!

Come back and let us know how it goes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭.red.

Fitz* wrote: »
    The first episode or two are a bit off, but stick with it. Bear in mind that they are nearly 10 years old now too, so things like technology etc have improved since. Once you get into the middle of series 1 & 2, it's fantastic viewing.

If you think the technology in LOD has aged, imagine watching The Wire for the first time now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

.red. wrote: »
    If you think the technology in LOD has aged, imagine watching The Wire for the first time now.

Just finished it again and it remains outstanding, moving onto The Shield now. As an aside, I am also reading the Martin Beck crime series, and the lack of technology is very striking, but the books are fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Johnthemanager

Just finished it again and it remains outstanding, moving onto The Shield now. As an aside, I am also reading the Martin Beck crime series, and the lack of technology is very striking, but the books are fantastic

If you liked The Wire, which I think was the greatest TV show ever made, you should get on Gomorrah. Based in Naples, a lot darker and grittier than The Wire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

If you liked The Wire, which I think was the greatest TV show ever made, you should get on Gomorrah. Based in Naples, a lot darker and grittier than The Wire.

Thanks for the recommendation. The Wire is the 2nd greatest TV show, West Wing is no 1 for me!

.red. wrote: »

They barely had computers at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

Thanks for the recommendation. The Wire is the 2nd greatest TV show, West Wing is no 1 for me!

You misspelled The Sopranos

• Registered Users Posts: 17,795 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I'd be asleep watching the supranos, line of Duty FTW

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭VG31

The Sopranos is my no 1, The Wire is a close second.

I keep meaning to watch the West Wing but haven't got around to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

VG31 wrote: »
    The Sopranos is my no 1, The Wire is a close second.

I keep meaning to watch the West Wing but haven't got around to it.
    I think The Sopranos is the only series I've ever watched from start to finish.

The West Wing was brilliant, but I suspect will have dated very badly (might be wrong about that though). Can't remember an ending to it, so I'm assuming it tailed off in quality like 99% of series do, and I just gave up.

LoD will be the second I'll see through, but at this stage it's purely to see how completely ludicrous it can get (very, seems to be the vibe!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Waiting for LOD.....Jesus how bad is Top Gear these days. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

Waiting for LOD.....Jesus how bad is Top Gear these days. :o

Without Clarkson, May and Hammond, its like the Muppet show without the muppets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Ryan is some animal

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Me nerves!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Yaasss Steve!!

Night Mate...........Night.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Uh oh, Steve. Does Hastings know about his codeine problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

the bit where they are interviewing Terry Boyle is farcical , someone like that could not be used as a witness to anything in court , might as well use a two year old

Steve, with enough painkillers there to supply Boots admin free til' the end of Brexit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭Wallet Inspector

Poor Terry. Remember there was a lad with Down's Syndrome in the early seasons too - being used by the scumbags that also used Ryan.

Poor Steve too - pain relief due to being ****ed down the stairs is the reason for his opioid addiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭appledrop

Celchick wrote: »
    Poor Terry. Remember there was a lad with Down's Syndrome in the early seasons too - being used by the scumbags that also used Ryan.

Poor Steve too - pain relief due to being ****ed down the stairs is the reason for his opioid addiction.

I thought that was Terry wasn't it?

Steve falling apart here tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

appledrop wrote: »
    I thought that was Terry wasn't it?

Steve falling apart here tonight.

Would he not just ho to his GP to be weaned off?

Advertisement