Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Line of Duty (BBC) **Spoilers**

Options

Comments

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    As soon as we saw/heard the prison officer I knew Farida was in trouble. Only clicked because I rewatched S2 recently, but nice to reward the long term viewer, without losing the more casual viewer.

Its a while since I saw S2 and spotted her straight away. I actually went out loud "uh oh".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭Wallet Inspector

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    As soon as we saw/heard the prison officer I knew Farida was in trouble. Only clicked because I rewatched S2 recently, but nice to reward the long term viewer, without losing the more casual viewer.
    Yeah I think it's the one time I made a correct prediction. That similar part with Lindsay was horrific and has stuck with me.

Celchick wrote: »
    Yeah I think it's the one time I made a correct prediction. That similar part with Lindsay was horrific and has stuck with me.

Same.

Its a bit bit less horrific in later seasons, imo perhaps because of more people watching? Series 6 opening was 10.4 million viewers. Which is a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I can't believe any viewer let alone anyone in AC12 is buying Buckles as some sort of mastermind bent copper. Davidson may well try and frame Frank Drebbin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Maybe it's just me but I'm finding this season a bit of a let down tbh, the acting feels very wooden/ stilted I just can't put my finger on it but it just seems to be a bit off even Ted looks to be completely bored in the role, his delivery of his letter of the law line sounded so wooden and out of place... Nah it just isn't doing it for me this time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,088 ✭✭✭Talisman

Celchick wrote: »
    Oh yeah Hastings gave Corbett's wife the proceeds of that dodgy property deal he entered into.
    That was the envelope of money that Mark Moffatt and Gill Biggeloe had tried to frame Hastings with.

Jackie Laverty was providing properties for laundering money for the OCG. One of the businesses that Steve investigated was a hairdressers. Steph Corbett has 'invested' in a similar business and she has cash in her attic.

549249.jpg

The final episode of the BBC show, Cash in the Attic, aired in 2012. AC-12 began their investigation into the OCG the same year. David Dickinson posed as an 'antiques expert' on the show. He is in fact a master criminal nicknamed, 'The Duke', a reference to his over the top dress sense. He previously served time for mail-order fraud. The show is Jed Mercurio's effort to expose the BBC's links to organised crime. :cool:

220px-Dickinson%27s_Real_Deal_18.jpg

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I can't believe any viewer let alone anyone in AC12 is buying Buckles as some sort of mastermind bent copper. Davidson may well try and frame Frank Drebbin.
    Buckles is obviously being framed, he has proved to be a bungling police officer in every series. The OCG and corrupt police officers are playing AC-12. They know that Ted Hastings and his team will follow the evidence into a dead end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Not since all the way back to Lost has analyzing a show after it's aired been this enjoyable

This thread is really reminding me of the days of lost :p

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Maybe it's just me but I'm finding this season a bit of a let down tbh, the acting feels very wooden/ stilted I just can't put my finger on it but it just seems to be a bit off even Ted looks to be completely bored in the role, his delivery of his letter of the law line sounded so wooden and out of place... Nah it just isn't doing it for me this time.

I think it's going the way of dragging itself out for too long, similar to Luther and Sherlock but it hasn't quite jumped the shark like them yet.

There's no way they can buy Buckles as a mastermind, left the documents in the boot of his work car, c'mon.
    I also don't understand why Steve taking pills would be an issue, he's working a desk job for christ sake, he's grand.

Kelly McDonald is awful in it though, I thought she'd get better but no, I think it's bringing the whole show down in the past they had some great performances to bounce off of it but she's not doing her part.

razorblunt wrote: »
    I think it's going the way of dragging itself out for too long, similar to Luther and Sherlock but it hasn't quite jumped the shark like them yet.

There's no way they can buy Buckles as a mastermind, left the documents in the boot of his work car, c'mon.
    I also don't understand why Steve taking pills would be an issue, he's working a desk job for christ sake, he's grand.

Kelly McDonald is awful in it though, I thought she'd get better but no, I think it's bringing the whole show down in the past they had some great performances to bounce off of it but she's not doing her part.

Is this the final season?
    Or is it trying to get too clever for itself. With all the references back to season 1/2 is it finally coming to an end?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

sebdavis wrote: »
    Is this the final season?
    Or is it trying to get too clever for itself. With all the references back to season 1/2 is it finally coming to an end?

Hopefully it is the last season and it ends on a high. Series like The Walking Dead that go on forever can be disappointing. Boardwalk Empire got it right by ending when it did.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,944 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Agree with both of these posts - it's like they're just going through the motions this series, and the stock lines are a bit like bad Dad jokes you've heard a million times before.

They haven't resorted to ludicrous interviews yet (á la Thandie Newton), but I'm fully expecting it.

And how come Ryan hasn't just said "oh hi Kate, I remember you from when I was a kid - look at me now, who'd have thunk!" - and pull her element-of-surprise rug from under her?

And yet, for all of that eye-rolling stuff, I'm still tuning in every week to see what happens - that's the magic of this show, and I just can't figure it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,794 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Is this show on Netflix or NOWTV?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

TBH I found Ryan's ability to extricate himself out any immediate culpability for Lisa Patel's death bordering on the ridiculous.

I know there is a high index of suspicion re his involvement/culpability but it was brushed aside.

His explanations as to why the route was changed,the patrol car veered off the road ( tyre blowouts and the gunshots ).

Most importantly the explanation around Patel's death ( some bruising around the neck,broken nails which could be construed as defensive wounds ).His rear car window which required opening from a front seat passenger so he could get some badly needed fresh air.:rolleyes:

In normal circumstances surely such a fiasco resulting a police woman's death would warrant a more substantial investigation.

I'm thinking of the Garda Ombudsman here.

To cap it all off his subsequent local paper photo opportunity for his bravery.

I know he's a small fish in the OCG and they don't want to blow the operation to expose the OCG/insider "H" but Ryan would want to be beyond incompetent/stupid to not know how badly he messed up.

He's got to know they're on to him and his cover has been blown.

He's now useless to the OCG in his current role.

The older series are on Netflix.

The current series is being shown weekly on BBC only AFAIK, and will presumably show up on Netflix after it's finished.

ETA, correction, as posted below only Series 5 is on Netflix. The others were all still there the other day!

RTE player has all series, currently rewatching now
    They are gone off Netflix apart from the last season

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭head82

It's the tone of her voice that wrecks my head. Not her accent, that's fine.
    It's that monotonous, 12 year old schoolgirl drone all the time! Just doesn't sit right with a person in authority.

She was the same in Boardwalk Empire. Whenever she opens her mouth, all credibility goes out the window.

head82 wrote: »
    It's the tone of her voice that wrecks my head. Not her accent, that's fine.
    It's that monotonous, 12 year old schoolgirl drone all the time! Just doesn't sit right with a person in authority.

She was the same in Boardwalk Empire. Whenever she opens her mouth, all credibility goes out the window.

It's also how she manages to walk without swinging her arms - once I'd seen that, I can't unsee it and it drives me nuts!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,794 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    The older series are on Netflix.

The current series is being shown weekly on BBC only AFAIK, and will presumably show up on Netflix after it's finished.

ETA, correction, as posted below only Series 5 is on Netflix. The others were all still there the other day!

Thanks all.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭McFly85

seligehgit wrote: »
    TBH I found Ryan's ability to extricate himself out any immediate culpability for Lisa Patel's death bordering on the ridiculous.

I know there is a high index of suspicion re his involvement/culpability but it was brushed aside.

His explanations as to why the route was changed,the patrol car veered off the road ( tyre blowouts and the gunshots ).

Most importantly the explanation around Patel's death ( some bruising around the neck,broken nails which could be construed as defensive wounds ).His rear car window which required opening from a front seat passenger so he could get some badly needed fresh air.:rolleyes:

In normal circumstances surely such a fiasco resulting a police woman's death would warrant a more substantial investigation.

I'm thinking of the Garda Ombudsman here.

To cap it all off his subsequent local paper photo opportunity for his bravery.

I know he's a small fish in the OCG and they don't want to blow the operation to expose the OCG/insider "H" but Ryan would want to be beyond incompetent/stupid to not know how badly he messed up.

He's got to know they're on to him and his cover has been blown.

He's now useless to the OCG in his current role.

To be fair I think AC-12/Kate are well aware that he was involved, and that interview I think was just Kate getting the measure of him. I expect he will be closely monitored and it won't be long before he's sat in the interview room when they have a lot more evidence to question him with.

From his perspective, I think that he expects Davison to do whatever's possible to protect him from investigation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Fitz* wrote: »

I think he's the one who should be sleeping with one eye open - now that his cover is blown he's useless to the OCG but he knows too much. Clearly she must be a sleeper who's been sleeping with their sleeper (a double sleeper if you will) and now she will take him out...

McFly85 wrote: »
    To be fair I think AC-12/Kate are well aware that he was involved, and that interview I think was just Kate getting the measure of him. I expect he will be closely monitored and it won't be long before he's sat in the interview room when they have a lot more evidence to question him with.

From his perspective, I think that he expects Davison to do whatever's possible to protect him from investigation.
    I don't think Ryan and DCI Davidson are aware of each other's involvement with the OCG. If they were already connected then when she was released from custody by AC-12 he would have been able to provide her with the new burner phone. Instead she had him drive her to her car and then she went to the rendezvous with the man in a van.

My guess is that Ryan is the person that Terry Boyle referred to as the other man. Ryan's attempt to kill him wasn't thought through at all, he was improvising to protect himself from being exposed. If the OCG wanted Boyle eliminated then the car would have been intercepted and Mr. Boyle would simply have disappeared.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭CoBo55

McFly85 wrote: »

Yes I agree, Kate was just laying out her stall to gauge his reaction/ demeanour I'm sure he'll get a tougher grilling if he isn't brown bread in the next episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,958 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

A little underwhelmed last night to be honest, a little slow to get off, a little excitement in the middle but I sensed the Superintendent was going to be implicated, a bit of a buffoon of a character frankly. Hastings brooding in his office hads little to the plot but the cash in the attic might turn into something interesting.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Yes I agree, Kate was just laying out her stall to gauge his reaction/ demeanour I'm sure he'll get a tougher grilling if he isn't brown bread in the next episode.

Thought it was strange that somebody from his unit was interviewing him.

Dempo1 wrote: »
    A little underwhelmed last night to be honest, a little slow to get off, a little excitement in the middle but I sensed the Superintendent was going to be implicated, a bit of a buffoon of a character frankly. Hastings brooding in his office hads little to the plot but the cash in the attic might turn into something interesting.
    The episode felt like it was just to build up the tension for next week.
    • Buckle's interrogation.
    • Steve's drug test results.
    • Hasting's money to Steph Corbett and pissing off his superiors.
    • How is Ryan going to react?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,958 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Talisman wrote: »
    The episode felt like it was just to build up the tension for next week.
    • Buckle's interrogation.
    • Steve's drug test results.
    • Hasting's money to Steph Corbett and pissing off his superiors.
    • How is Ryan going to react?

Yes, hopefully :)

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Anyone consider PC Pilkington is undercover and turns out to be good? he is trying to find put who is in OCG

• Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭Pentecost

sebdavis wrote: »
    Anyone consider PC Pilkington is undercover and turns out to be good? he is trying to find put who is in OCG

We've seen him murder police officers. I don't think he's undercover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,445 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

If you liked The Wire, which I think was the greatest TV show ever made, you should get on Gomorrah. Based in Naples, a lot darker and grittier than The Wire.

Same here. I think there's a huge gap then to the rest despite the brilliant Scandinavian stuff we've been seeing tis century. The Sopranos is great but boy did it sag in the middle.

Advertisement