Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The kickstarter adventures of Sólás - solaswatches.com

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Ha - I was glad when I found out I didn't need to post it to Australia... Though James was almost apologetic in winning (since he's a watch reviewer who covered the Starlight at the time etc. etc. - perception can be more influential than facts) so he didn't reveal himself winning until at least we've got all the KS units sold out to close off any inferences that he "won" instead of won. 108/1 chance isn't too bad though I have to say - with the Equinox I'll be interested to see if that number is a little higher.

Call it spreading the Irish language across the sea if you will :)

Something sad I got in an email from a customer - a Sólás pic appeared in a discussion on a replica/fake forum discussion about a fake Patek using a genuine micro-rotor movement:
    https://forum.replica-watch.info/forum/patek-philippe/9774066-new-5712-rep

Interestingly the movement in the fake isn't a HZ5000A but a Sea-Gull movement instead (which isn't sold because of reliability issues) - interesting in how a fake manufacturer is able to get their hands on a movement that shouldn't be sold (or is even being manufactured to my knowledge).

I understand that there are fakes using the HZ5000A too sadly so it's not just a Sea-Gull issue - but I am somewhat cheered up by the fact that the posters on that forum are complaining that the $600+ price tag for a fake is too high - sure why not get a Starlight instead for slightly less :P (or a Lobinni if you want to save and get a legal Lange-sque watch?)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,548 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Thirdfox wrote: »
    Something sad I got in an email from a customer - a Sólás pic appeared in a discussion on a replica/fake forum discussion about a fake Patek using a genuine micro-rotor movement:
    https://forum.replica-watch.info/forum/patek-philippe/9774066-new-5712-rep

I think apart from the obvious it's a fake watch on a fakes forum...
    I've spotted my 1st tell ever on a fake without it being pointed out to me :D
    Unless I'm mistaken?
    I think the the power reserve indicator on that watch is wrong?
    The real one has red dots to the right of the 5?

If I'm right, do I win a prize?

As for the seagull micro rotor making it into the wild?
    It is probably via a 3rd party. If product is built and not passing QC the choice is scrap or sell to an inventory management company as part of a cost control model.

I paid for my 1st house thanks to Apple Logic Pro software that failed QC at a certain logistics and production hub in Ireland.
    I picked up a contract for rework/inventory control that gave me ownership of the rejects.

Logic Pro at the time shipped with a dongle, a lovely box and a team of CDs and manuals for @1200 retail.

I paid a small fee for the materials and Apple marked even the dongles as rejected!
    The whole lot was sold on via eBay, fully active and working for a quarter of the price.
    Made quite a nice return on that :D

Sometimes no matter how tight a supply chain, there's a leak that will try and recoup money on rejects.

banie01 wrote: »
    I think apart from the obvious it's a fake watch on a fakes forum...
    I've spotted my 1st tell ever on a fake without it being pointed out to me :D
    Unless I'm mistaken?
    I think the the power reserve indicator on that watch is wrong?
    The real one has red dots to the right of the 5?

If I'm right, do I win a prize?

As for the seagull micro rotor making it into the wild?
    It is probably via a 3rd party. If product is built and not passing QC the choice is scrap or sell to an inventory management company as part of a cost control model.

I paid for my 1st house thanks to Apple Logic Pro software that failed QC at a certain logistics and production hub in Ireland.
    I picked up a contract for rework/inventory control that gave me ownership of the rejects.

Logic Pro at the time shipped with a dongle, a lovely box and a team of CDs and manuals for @1200 retail.

I paid a small fee for the materials and Apple marked even the dongles as rejected!
    The whole lot was sold on via eBay, fully active and working for a quarter of the price.
    Made quite a nice return on that :D

Sometimes no matter how tight a supply chain, there's a leak that will try and recoup money on rejects.

I've brought it to the attention of my contact in Sea-Gull anyway. They can do what they like with that information :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭893bet

A Lobini is langesque? Hmmmmm on the same way Pangani is Rolexesque....!

• Advertisement

893bet wrote: »
    A Lobini is langesque? Hmmmmm on the same way Pangani is Rolexesque....!

All I can think about now is burlesque!
    Time to start thinking pure thoughts and hoping a stitch doesn't pop :P

@TF, just out of curiousity?
    How many complications does the HZ5000 support?
    I mean time date and running seconds are great, it's brilliant.
    But, if the fakers start using it?
    How many bells and whistles can they conceivably squeeze out of it?

@TF, just out of curiousity?
    How many complications does the HZ5000 support?
    I mean time date and running seconds are great, it's brilliant.
    But, if the fakers start using it?
    How many bells and whistles can they conceivably squeeze out of it?

The HZ5000A only comes with a date "complication". It's why if one spots a micro-rotor movement with any working additional complications it can't be a HZ5000A (I don't think the fakers have started adding modules onto base movements yet... though never say never I guess and I don't know much about the fake scene.

It's why sadly I have spotted the HZ being used in fakes that are also 3 handers with a 7 o'clock seconds (like Bulgari).

The HZ5000 has an additional "complication" of central seconds hand - but again it's not sold because they have problems with torque and winding power keeping the central seconds powered rather than mounting directly on 4th wheel - I imagine this is a problem the Swiss face too since you see so many Piaget microrotor movements using the same directly mounted seconds hand too.

A poll that was posted up on a new thread (as it wasn't entirely related to Sólás) - would appreciate people giving their thoughts on the question (call it some market research on butterfly clasps):
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058173973

...now that you're back from having voted on that thread here are some of the floated Sólás Equinox solutions to the (potential) issue:

1. Do nothing - people appreciate the lower price of the Equinox and want to keep the full tungsten clasp design
    pros: no change in costings, colour and material matching between clasp and bracelet
    neg: some people may detest butterfly clasps, it will be harder to get a perfect fit without micro-adjust holes;
    2. Switch to a steel ratcheting clasp - you lose the scratch resistance of tungsten but gain microadjust if the bracelet doesn't fit just right - switching to a steel ratcheting clasps would add a few extra euro onto the unit price (tens of euro)
    pros: small increase in costs, tool-less micro-adjust (on the fly) available
    neg: scratch resistance advantage on clasp (one of the main places where small scratches develop from desk diving) is gone, colour and material mismatch on the bracelet;
    3. Switch to a tungsten covered steel ratcheting clasp - this will add on thousands of R&D costs, and hundreds to the final price of the Equinox - it would be equivalent of opting for tritium for example - and this having never been done before, I don't even know if the factory who said they can do it, can actually do it properly or not
    pros: colour and material matching between clasp and bracelet, scratch resistance preserved, on the fly adjustment possible
    neg: massive increase in cost (and if I merely offer it as an option there is realistically no possibility of recovering the costs from the few people who would be expected to choose this expensive option - in my view), it's never been done before so I can't be certain if it is even do-able or not;
    4. Offer a mix and match between options 1 and 2 - allowing people to swap to a steel ratcheting clasp if they don't want all tungsten and recognise that the compromise has been made on cost grounds - I don't want to build a €1200 watch that wouldn't need to make this compromise, but would be unaffordable to the people who I want to enjoy the Equinox.
    pros: depending on option chosen - colour and material matching between clasp and bracelet, scratch resistance preserved, on the fly adjustment possible, small increase in cost of units
    neg: it does make it clear that Sólás couldn't afford to offer a tungsten ratcheting clasp - potentially people would see it as a "cheap" compromise - though it literally is a cost saving compromise since I don't think option 3 of building a tungsten ratcheting clasp is a flyer due to wanting to keep the price of Equinox within €1000 (at retail)

I can totally understand why the reviewer may wish to get a tungsten ratcheting clasp - and he can understand why I'm trying to make a "premium" watch (I'm not going to say luxury!) at affordable prices - €599 on KS was already going to be tough(er) price (though again it's a price is a bargain compared to what you're getting) and a subsequent real retail price of €799 as a second model may be tougher again.

He can totally understand that this one element maybe adding on €200 to the cost might not go down very well commercially - but equally I think he is right in saying - if it's done badly all you'll have is a lovely scratch free bracelet sitting in a box and never used.

He didn't accept the AP/Bulgari/IWC argument btw - just thinking that in general butterfly clasps are a bad idea when it comes to getting the perfect fit on the wrist - I'm not quite in that camp - I love having micro-adjust if possible, but my Octo Finissimo fits very well (it would be better with a tool-less microadjust to be fair - but I accepted it in a $14k watch, would people accept it in a 599-799 watch?)

Oh and these prices above are unfortunately not set in stone yet - it's going to be around this price is my current thinking - but it's very tight again (might be tighter than with the Starlight which is obviously not the right direction for an actual bona fide commercial operation to be moving in).

I just want people to get some nice watches - but need to be business savy too or else Sólás won't make it to its repeater goal.

Very quick straw poll - if a tungsten ratcheting clasp can be done for an additional €100 (something never done before to my knowledge) - would people think that it's worthwhile (not that they would personally buy or not, but rather if it's something worth doing?)

You'd be raising KS prices to €699 (or €568 to our non-EU folks) and then €899 which is definitely "premium" for many people - on the flip side - this may end up being the "best" tungsten bracelet in the world in terms of adjustability since no-one has ever made a ratcheting one before.

On the flip flip side - this is a dangerous (mission/feature) creep road to go down potentially - there's always something better you can get if you just spend a liiiiiiiittle more.

Unfortunately it couldn't be made as an option as the costs of doing something this new needs to be spread across all the watches - just asking for 200 or 300 more for a tungsten clasp still won't recover anything close to the additional costs of making such a clasp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭RMDrive

I wouldn't feel it's worthwhile and as you have been tuned into all along, could push your offering into a different price tier (in people's heads).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Fitz II

How would tungsten carbide hold up in the clasp, smaller areas of metal, friction and moving parts? I use Tungsten drill bits a lot, and while they hold a lovely sharp edge they love to shatter at any thin point.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Calculator123

Personally, I wouldn't pay extra for a different metal/design of clasp. It's the mechanics and quality of watch that interests me, and the price point. Not the strap. From what I see in other threads here, watch enthusiasts seem to swap straps on a weekly basis anyway.

You've outlined the other risks very well. Similar to your arguments for a functional presentation box for the Sólás Starlight the peripherals don't matter to the general consumer and once you push up the price, you'll lose a large cohort of the market.

Fitz II wrote: »
    How would tungsten carbide hold up in the clasp, smaller areas of metal, friction and moving parts? I use Tungsten drill bits a lot, and while they hold a lovely sharp edge they love to shatter at any thin point.

Yes - it's why there is so much added expense to try and make one that works and isn't going to fall apart (you're getting tungsten for the other lovely properties but need to work around the brittle factor - same as if making a ceramic watch/bracelet).

On the other hand tungsten rings are great - shiny forever and in an emergency you can just crack it off the finger instead of worrying of being unable to cut it off the swollen digit.

Very interesting results from the WUS poll - only 24.4% went for hate - it may have been influenced by me placing ALS, Patek, VC, Omega etc as examples of butterfly clasps - more people said they love it than hate it surprisingly.

I personally tolerate it - would be more in favour of having microadjust - though from discussions it can be added at an expense it seems.

@Banie - many thanks for your post - the 3D model arrived today and the proportions all check out. @FitzII - many thanks for your models too. I'll try and crack open the new 3d printer myself this weekend and try some prints perhaps.

Personally, I wouldn't pay extra for a different metal/design of clasp. It's the mechanics and quality of watch that interests me, and the price point. Not the strap. From what I see in other threads here, watch enthusiasts seem to swap straps on a weekly basis anyway.

You've outlined the other risks very well. Similar to your arguments for a functional presentation box for the Sólás Starlight the peripherals don't matter to the general consumer and once you push up the price, you'll lose a large cohort of the market.

Strangely I find it the opposite - the average/general consumer seems to love a "fancy box" or "free stuff" in the package ("free" watch rolls, springbar tools, screwdrivers) - there's an argument that if you're being considerate would you not add a screwdriver to help people resize their bracelets? But then do people want a $0.20-1 screwdriver thrown in or is it just generating waste? Perhaps an option could be given so people who "need" one can opt to pay a small fee to get one - and people who have boxes of watch tools already don't need to pay extra and minimises waste. Looking out for people who want the tool but also keeping wastage down.

Though when I say clasp I mean it in the context of a bracelet's clasp - many people would want to keep the original bracelet the watch comes on and I do want people to have a comfortable time wearing it.

A "solution 5" that may combine fitting comfort with "cost awareness" would be to make 2 extra links - in 1/2 and 3/4 size - with these two extra links people can get 1/4 link sizing ability (I don't think it would be a good idea to make a tungsten 1/4 size 5 row link - that's just asking for shattering).

This solution shouldn't cost too much more, gives granularity to sizing and will still look well. Trying to give people the best possible experience for the price after all.

You do lose on the fly adjustment however.

Glad it got to you safe TF.
    Hope it holds up at the lugs to a strap test :)

The addition of half and third sized links could well be the best priced option for delivering an all tungsten bracelet.
    It could well be a runner, especially if it allows one to deal with the clasp ending up offset after sizing ;)

Strangely I find it the opposite - the average/general consumer seems to love a "fancy box" or "free stuff" in the package ("free" watch rolls, springbar tools, screwdrivers) - there's an argument that if you're being considerate would you not add a screwdriver to help people resize their bracelets? But then do people want a $0.20-1 screwdriver thrown in or is it just generating waste? Perhaps an option could be given so people who "need" one can opt to pay a small fee to get one - and people who have boxes of watch tools already don't need to pay extra and minimises waste. Looking out for people who want the tool but also keeping wastage down.

That's a good point. I'd hope that people understand the thin margins you're operating to and that extra goodies like this are more often included by premium brands to soften the blow of the high price. What you're offering in terms of technical specification at a much more modest price should be appreciated. I certainly would love extras thrown in but I wouldn't expect it here. The bang for buck is already amazing. But if the brand you're seeking to create would benefit from these kind of gestures or it's somewhat expected in the watch world (and it doesn't bankrupt you!) you, it's always welcome by the customer.

Given today's date, might I suggest taking advantage of tungsten's high melting point and marketing the bracelet at those seeking to scuba dive in a volcano... :)

That's a good point. I'd hope that people understand the thin margins you're operating to and that extra goodies like this are more often included by premium brands to soften the blow of the high price. What you're offering in terms of technical specification at a much more modest price should be appreciated. I certainly would love extras thrown in but I wouldn't expect it here. The bang for buck is already amazing. But if the brand you're seeking to create would benefit from these kind of gestures or it's somewhat expected in the watch world (and it doesn't bankrupt you!) you, it's always welcome by the customer.

Many won't (you got people saying that "for $400 it (Starlight) should at least have an Irish movement") :pac:

I see it as potentially more nefarious/business savy then just "giving" extra goodies when dealing with "affordable" brands... it can often be a way (in my view) to deflect from where real improvements can be made on the watch i.e. spend $3 on a fancy pouch, 20 cent on a screwdriver tool... but cut a $25 expense from a nicer finished indice or a $35 on X/Y/Z feature. Deflection from the actual product by giving all the cheap "extras". And it's understandable that when you're selling a $300 watch using generic hands/indices/movements but giving the nice freebie can be a very cost effective way of doing business.

I'd rather spend all the funds in the watch itself - but it's not how the world really works (though once you get to a €1000 watch - sure why not spend the extra 20 cent on a screwdriver etc. as you shouldn't be cutting corners on the watch itself by then). At that point it'd only be "waste" concerns - do you print out a 300 page paper manual that 0.1% will read? Do you give a metal warranty card that costs maybe $1.5 when you buy 1000 of them?

Lots of interesting business decisions - which may also be ethical/personal principle ones too.

And for anyone who wants to see a sneak peak of the Sólás Equinox - I just put up an Instagram post:
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CNIasUCrwdz/?igshid=10tzrcgj4ukbb

• Advertisement

And for anyone who wants to see a sneak peak of the Sólás Equinox - I just put up an Instagram post:
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CNIasUCrwdz/?igshid=10tzrcgj4ukbb

Love the specs!
    Put me down for 2 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Love the specs!
    Put me down for 2 ;)

Bit cheap, almost 'plasticky' looking :)

MAJJ wrote: »
    Bit cheap, almost 'plasticky' looking :)

Magical resin with amagnetic and shock proof properties :P
    It's clearly the future of mechanical watches :pac:

Move over silicon - then again - doesn't the sistem 51 use plastic gears too? (1 screw in total!)
    https://www.europastar.com/magazine/features/1004087135-swatch-group-stripping-down-the-sistem51.html

Sólás Sistem Sixty-six - Sólás system actually is kinda catchy too :pac:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I'll try and crack open the new 3d printer myself this weekend and try some prints perhaps.

Look what I've just found! :)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1875

Lots of number crunching today... and plenty of nice developments on the Equinox front.

Putting in realistic numbers - the Equinox minimum funding target will probably be around 150,000 euro (and guessing that maybe 20x watches are pre-ordered outside of KS) - and that wouldn't include myself self funding a large portion too. People will be able to see how much of an increase that is from the Starlight's minimum funding requirements and can probably make a guesstimate of how much costs have increased for the Equinox model.

The break down is roughly 20 anticipated pre-orders (though no idea if that number is high or low) = 261 units to be effectively "pre-ordered" via KS and myself funding the rest of production costs.

Had a reviewer say to me "when are you going to realise that Sólás isn't a budget brand?" meaning if I set prices higher I wouldn't have to stress about trying to squeeze out 20-30 euro savings from one place to the next. But he accepted my point that there is are very specific reasons I'm doing Sólás and specific goals (which include trying to keep it relatively affordable to people) so it's more about trying to see what is possible in the sub 800-1000 euro area than making a Monta.

One thing for sure - CE Starlight owners should be happy to see what our other Sólás pieces genuinely cost and enjoy the value they got from the CE Starlight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭893bet

I would tread carefully before putting in too much of your own funds.

Your first KS was 350 quid ish and the ain was 88k (off the top of my head).
    The second attempt, after a **** tonne of marketing hit 75k ish?

Now you are looking to double ish the watch price and hit 150k...it’s a big jump. The jump from 350 quid a watch to 700 is steep for a lot of people. While I think the diver will appeal to more people.........you enter a price point where people look else where for a more known brand. Watch snobs are at all price levels of the market! There were a few comments last week on whether people would pay 2k for a hand finished seiko movement. Same applies here. Will people pay 700 quid for a diver with a Chinese movement.

I understand you are focusing on making it a functional diver which is great. Your biggest challenge really is the marketing one, rather than the technical one. Trying to find enough people who will value the tungsten bracelet vs the SS one etc. They are few and far between.

What am I saying? Marketing is far more important to the Solas success than any watch detail. You have the choice of making a technical good watch and increasing the price and struggling to find the right buyers. Or perhaps sacrificing some features and keeping the price realistic to appeal to a wider market price wise.

Just my 2c but I am not in either of the target markets I have described above.

I think 893bet makes some great points.

The novelty of the Equinox, the irish diver, it's slimness, the case material, the dial, the hands and the running seconds subdial all bring huge value and uniqueness.

The thing is, the more I think about the Equinox and your original aim for it.
    The less I see a tungsten bracelet with a butterfly clasp fulfilling it?
    I can of course be convinced otherwise but, if the aim is a unique and functional diver?

That aspect gets a bit lost when to have confidence in that function, I need to swap to the other strap.

I think you might be approaching a bit of mission creep, where you want the watch to be a great value jack of all trades, but loose sight of the original core aim.

On the matter of the bracelet and clasp. Is steel an option considering the possibility of PVD coating or something akin to tegimentation an option?

You could have the malleability and ductility of steel with the scratch resistance of Tungsten?
    Or similar steel treatment?

893bet wrote: »
    I would tread carefully before putting in too much of your own funds.

Your first KS was 350 quid ish and the ain was 88k (off the top of my head).
    The second attempt, after a **** tonne of marketing hit 75k ish?

Now you are looking to double ish the watch price and hit 150k...it’s a big jump. The jump from 350 quid a watch to 700 is steep for a lot of people. While I think the diver will appeal to more people.........you enter a price point where people look else where for a more known brand. Watch snobs are at all price levels of the market! There were a few comments last week on whether people would pay 2k for a hand finished seiko movement. Same applies here. Will people pay 700 quid for a diver with a Chinese movement.

I understand you are focusing on making it a functional diver which is great. Your biggest challenge really is the marketing one, rather than the technical one. Trying to find enough people who will value the tungsten bracelet vs the SS one etc. They are few and far between.

What am I saying? Marketing is far more important to the Solas success than any watch detail. You have the choice of making a technical good watch and increasing the price and struggling to find the right buyers. Or perhaps sacrificing some features and keeping the price realistic to appeal to a wider market price wise.

Just my 2c but I am not in either of the target markets I have described above.

Completely understand that - there are mysterious things happening in the background too under strict NDA. Suffice it to say there won't be a 3rd KS from Sólás in any case whatever happens and I do know that Sólás will unfortunately lose a lot of people from being priced out of affordability.

When you make things of a sufficiently high quality you get a lot more notice too - and the opposite is true that if you do something that any Lobinni or Pagani can do then there's not much horological point - just get the Lobinni.

And yeah - the Equinox will have an even larger marketing budget - because we are competing against the Oris and Longines of the world now (we use the same OEM suppliers in some cases ;) but we don't have the cachet and history of course).

The marketing element was the no.1 lesson learnt from Starlight KS 1 and 2 - probably will consult a professional for the overall strategy for KS 3 - I could afford to take minimal gains from Starlight as it was about establishing reputation and trust (still to be delivered of course :D ). Now it's about establishing superior quality too - no-one is going to seriously compare a Lobinni to a Sólás in the future :)

Genuine thanks for the thoughts though - they are appreciated and always helps me to re-examine if I've considered the different aspects you point out.

In Starlight news:
    The movements have arrived in Shenzhen today - but it's tomb sweeping festival in China so won't be until 7th until the factories start taking delivery and assembling. Everything is still on track as planned :)

• Advertisement

There's also the point that ultimately one day Sólás will be building a 5 minute repeater - if we remain in the 300-500 arena that will make the repeater goal less likely as you jump from 3-400 (remember this is without vat so already 380-500 with VAT) to a 4k piece (which is still crazily cheap for a 5 min repeater).

And speaking to GPHG members - the dream is get to a win for Ireland at the GPHG come Sólás Lir.

Advertisement