Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outriders (PS5, PS4, PC XBOX One, Xbox Series X)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Dave1711

Played a bit today, really enjoyed the combat hard to get a proper gauge on things with everything being quite limited but the loot looks promising as well as the skill trees. The cutscenes and voices seem a bit off but apart from that nothing that would bother me too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Terrible intro to the game lost interest immediately from it. Controls are pretty crap, feels like GoW which I've never liked for the same reason. Uninstalled, I'll give this one a pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Terrible intro to the game lost interest immediately from it. Controls are pretty crap, feels like GoW which I've never liked for the same reason. Uninstalled, I'll give this one a pass.

I wouldn’t say the intro was terrible.

It gave the backstory etc as expected. If anything it probably outstayed it’s welcome slightly.

The graphics need a decent amount of work. It looks pretty poor in places. Character models just look unfinished to me.

The voice was off as well. Cut off at the end of cut scenes and repeating on top of itself at times.

I had two crashes in about two hours of play.

To be fair though all of that can be ironed out in patches which isn’t unusual. If anyone played the original Destiny at launch you’ll know that **** wasn’t perfect at launch either!

The big positive after all that negative is the gameplay though. I absolutely love the gameplay. I’m a big or was a big Gears of War fan when I had a 360. That was the last Xbox I owned though so I’ve missed my fix for this kinda game.

I played 100ish hours of Division 2. I like it but the loot was **** and you levelled up so quickly you’d max out without thinkin.

This feels like a cross between Gears of War and Destiny both of which I’ve spent countless hours on.

I hope they fix a few of the issues above before launch but even if they don’t I’ll most likely pick this up because I can see it being a constantly patched game ala Destiny. I’ll easily get 50 plus hours out of it so worth the price of admission imo.

And just noticed that it was developed by People Can Fly who developed the Bulletstorm game. I was thinkin it that feel to it as well. ****i n great game that. That give me even more hope for it and published by Square Enix helps!

The big positive after all that negative is the gameplay though. I absolutely love the gameplay. I’m a big or was a big Gears of War fan when I had a 360. That was the last Xbox I owned though so I’ve missed my fix for this kinda game.

Agreed graphical and voice issues can be ironed out, gameplay mechanics cant be in such a short time and i really enjoyed that side of it. Plus the story is interesting, i remember booting up Destiny back in the day and being like wtf is this story, was so lacking after Bungie building it up while i feel its the opposite here the game hasnt really been hyped up and all the core features seem pretty solid and enjoyable.

Looking forward to checking out the crafting system which seems really good from some of the reviews ive seen(being able to take perks from one gun and put them on another etc) and nice to see a pretty extensive skill/perk tree too.

Outside of the blunder that was Avengers Square Enix have done some pretty good stuff lately imo enjoy a lot of their games.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,854 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Finally played a bit of this. Went with the demolition build. TBH, you can easily tell it's not designed for single player. Most of these games that are akin to this are the same. They claim you can play it SP, but you know inearly every single time you just know it wasn't made with SP in mind. Seemed alright story wise and aside from audio bugs and some rough looking graphics in parts, I reckon it could be a good co-op game. But not for me unfortunately. I'll wait until it's F2P or on Plus/Now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 13,854 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Jesus, I'm going to have to get an XSX and Gamepass. MS are really pushing it and it seems too good to be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,904 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Jesus, I'm going to have to get an XSX and Gamepass. MS are really pushing it and it seems too good to be true.

Game Pass also includes a bar of chocolate daily, a pizza on your birthday and a bottle of whiskey for Christmas.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It’s annoying there remains a fairly substantial gap between PC and console when it comes to third party Game Pass stuff. Not that I’m particularly interested in this game, but for all Microsoft’s talk of play anywhere there’s still clearly PC Game Pass and console Game Pass. I fully get the rights issues and it’s hardly like PC doesn’t have a healthy selection of games, but it’s a shame there’s often a big caveat when they make these announcements.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

It's an average console game.
    It's a below average PC game.

I mean this in the sense that the controls are ****e on PC. They might work on console but in lieu of a compelling story or combat system, who cares to find out.

It's an average game overall. The story is intriguing but shallow in the end. They don't spend enough time on it. Combat is meh. Skills are hard to target accurately, and some are just vague. I liked it a bit, but not enough to buy on release, not even close.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

It's an average console game.
    It's a below average PC game.

I mean this in the sense that the controls are ****e on PC. They might work on console but in lieu of a compelling story or combat system, who cares to find out.

It's an average game overall. The story is intriguing but shallow in the end. They don't spend enough time on it. Combat is meh. Skills are hard to target accurately, and some are just vague. I liked it a bit, but not enough to buy on release, not even close.

No issues for me on PC in terms of controls.
    Lets be honest anybody interested in the longterm gear grind that this game is all about has little to no interest in a story.
    I have thousands of hours in diablo and other looter games but havent a clue about their story infact most dont even have one.
    Yeah i played the campaign in diablo and monster hunter world etc but they were all forgettable, anyone playing this for a story are playing the wrong genre.
    If these types of games do have a campaign its literally just a glorified tutorial and a means to get you to level x or y so you can then progress to the real meat of the game the endgame.
    This is intended to be a diablo like looter playing content over and over for ever increasing difficulty mid maxing builds and getting ever increasingly better loot.
    Combat is actually pretty good but the skills on the technomancer ie turret placing is dodgy for sure the rest are fine.
    The loot actually looks varied and interesting in this unlike destiny and the division.
    Im waiting to see what sort of endgame it has before i even consider buying.

Its a bit of BS the game is coming to game pass only on xbox but not PC.

Having said that i would have concerns about it on game pass PC, let me explain.

A few months ago i started playing deep rock galactic which i hadnt played since early access.
    The game seemed dead with it being hard to find games for missions you needed.
    Net result i bought the steam version after people on reddit suggested i do so as its a totally different experience.
    Those people were 100% correct,now i have countless live matches to pick from for any mission i want.
    20K + playing most days on steam yet i felt alone on game pass.

Theres every chance it would be a similar scenario with outriders on steam.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Preload is open on Steam, 42GB. And if you're still playing the demo apparently it auto-deletes that install.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Not sure whether to continue my character or start a new one, i didnt farm much in demo. Dont want to be OP running around also dont want to be under levelled depends on how the AI will scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,791 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Not sure whether to continue my character or start a new one, i didnt farm much in demo. Dont want to be OP running around also dont want to be under levelled depends on how the AI will scale.

I'm going to restart, I will jump from PS5 to Xbox series X due to it being on Game Pass so likely have to restart. But I don't mind replaying a small portion now I know what I'm doing. It lets me pay more attention to the story.

Unless you want a new class and you didnt level all 4 classes to max demo level of 7 and world tier 5 your just wasting time.
    Your not gonna be OP in any way just from what you played in the demo even if your full of legendaries and as always with these types of games any loot you find will be useless an hour later up until you start the endgame grind in expeditions.

Some people have completed the remainder of the campaign and hit world tier 10 [requirement to start the endgame expeditions] in 4 hours but most done so in 6 hours so people expecting this game to be a story driven campaign experience are playing the wrong genre, this is a diablo like loot grind [just what i want :)]
    Yes they skipped some side missions but remember considering this type of game is all about rerunning missions for better drops its wise to avoid side missions and just get to endgame then do your side missions for better loot.

Solidfps has been streaming endgame very early , he knows his looter games better than most, the math behind the stats etc.
    Hes very in depth and as i say really knows his stuff, worth a watch.

https://www.twitch.tv/solidfps

I have one legendary and didnt get close to max level, played enough to know i liked it and left it at basically.

I have one legendary and didnt get close to max level, played enough to know i liked it and left it at basically.

Yeah combat is great and loot seemed varied and interesting even in the demo.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,290 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I've been watching some people stream this, and its not blowing me away.

How has everyone elses opinion been of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Looks like gears of snore with overpowered powers, that about it?

Can see myself enjoying it at first but growing quickly bored with it, which are the type of games i avoid these days :(

Vicxas wrote: »
    I've been watching some people stream this, and its not blowing me away.

How has everyone elses opinion been of it?

I really like it but im a sucker for loot shooters if its not your type of game classically outriders probably isn't going to be the one to convert you

• Advertisement

nix wrote: »
    Looks like gears of snore with overpowered powers, that about it?

Can see myself enjoying it at first but growing quickly bored with it, which are the type of games i avoid these days :(

It's not a cover shooter, despite the mechanic built in. The best way to sum it up is the cover is for the NPCs. If you play it as a cover and guns based game you will be frustrated and die often (most people, me included, did at first). Play it fast/in-your-face while focusing on powers and it's a blast.

Exactly it is not a cover shooter at all.
    Its really is an ARPG in the true sense of the word but with guns in 3rd person so to me its pretty unique.
    Its only when you play it for a bit you se its no destiny or the division thankfully.
    Loving it so far but just had my first crash in dx12 on PC, might try DX11.

it looks like HDR is borked on PC, massive clipping and a weird red shift. Other than that a few micro-stutters and it looks a little softer than I think it should with DLSS/Quality mode but performance appears better than the demo. Movement has been improved but still needs some work, especially on quick left/right shifts, you can see the screen jump versus slowing a little and turning which is now much smoother.

Switched to DX 11 after i crashed and its butter smooth now.
    EU servers down now too though.

Also quick tip , i noticed the game was blurry compared to demo and thought it was some AA change they implimented but then realized if you cap your framerate it turns on that horrible dynamic resolution consoles use.
    Turn off fps limit and its back nice and clear again , had it set to 144.

Cheers, disabling the FPS limit helped visuals a fair bit. So they completely mislabeled the function. Having a lot of issues getting logged back in if I have to exit for any reason, server outage posts all over the forums. I am really getting sick and tired of online-enforced games launching with vastly insufficient server resources. We live in a golden age of flexible compute, auto-scaling is easy so I really believe companies deliberately under-provision to save some money knowing in a day or 2 it will have dropped anyway. That should be outright illegal.

Okay so the servers are FINALLY stable (fingers crossed), as much I want to support the devs the launch was a ****-show from that perspective. What made it all the more frustrating was how much I was enjoying when I could play it. Small sandboxes, cheesy dialogue etc. all being true the gameplay loop is fantastic. And the loot makes sense... odd that so many of these games get that wrong where loot is just a power multiplier, more offense, better defense etc. but the good items I've found so far are all about complimenting my class skills and playstyle. I mentioned earlier I usually prefer accuracy over raw damage and tankiness so tend towards sniper style classes but am deliberately playing this as an opposite of sorts in the Trickster, get in close, destroy, get out. So I gravitated to Shotguns, which again I usually never use in these kind of games. When the skill tree finally opened up I saw there was an entire branch that complimented this, down to increasing the loot drop chance of shottys themselves. The class made me move to a logical weapon preference that in turn the devs had correctly tuned the skill tree for, no forcing it, just natural synergy. And playing Trickster with an Auto-Shotty is fantastic fun.

Edit:
    You can equip items up to 3 levels above your current (based on what I can see from the hard limit on crafting level up). Seems world tier dependant. Anyway it's great gear usage is not gated artificially.

Next bug. If you hit level 10 and the Stash/Inbox option is still locked, keeping you away from the pre-order Hell's Rangers items, close the game and restart.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Played a little bit of this last night. Seems like dumb fun, the kind of game you can throw on and chat to your friends without needing to know what's going on. Just mindlessly destroy lots of enemies with guns and cool flashy powers.

Unless your "mates" work from home and play without you leaving you on your own whilst the 3 of them miles ahead in the campaign.....yeah "mates" :rolleyes::D:D

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    Played a little bit of this last night. Seems like dumb fun, the kind of game you can throw on and chat to your friends without needing to know what's going on. Just mindlessly destroy lots of enemies with guns and cool flashy powers.

haha clearly not got anywhere near endgame then :)
    The difficulty really ramps up and you need to be really on it and have a really good build going.

• Advertisement

Almost finished the campaign, i think ive only one chapter or so left and then onto expeditions endgame.
    I soloed everything and didnt drop world tier at all but ive got a nice build going so it wasnt too hard.
    I started off with the blighted rounds and mods to give more ammo and damage for this but then found a mod that turned my blighted turret into a freezing turret then equipped it along with the cyro turret and i was constantly freezing mobs.
    Add in a few +damage to frozen enemies and it turned into easy mode so much so i wonder if the devs even tried this themselves as i think seems OP.
    Maybe later mobs can resit freezing more but for now at world tier 9 its easy mode with any boss.

I recorded a bit of gameplay of it in action.

Looking forward to doing some expeditions maybe over the weekend but i can certainly se build diversity as the loot system seems very robust and interesting.

Advertisement