Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭JohnnyJohnJohns

Yup. Keep reaching down for the gear selector (coming from an electric ioniq). Actually find having to use my right hand to change gear annoying, very much used to right hand driving, and left hand as my secondary. Now I've to use right hand for both.

Took me about 2 weeks of reaching down for the Ioniq selector but now it's just muscle memory. Turned off eco assist in the assist menu and much prefer the drive with full coasting.

I find the infotainment system can be a bit slow when the car starts. It can be a bit annoying, especially when reversing after starting the car. It doesn't load the UI for switching the camera mode for reversing out of a t junction.

• Moderators Posts: 12,371 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Impressive banana box test

ELM327 wrote: »
    If the GFMV was lower then it would be a better reason to change, more "equity".
    A high GFMV means less/no equity and thus more likely to keep the car as you dont want to find another deposit to go again.

No, a lower GFMV means you pay more PM which isn't what PCP is about, PCP is about paying as little as possible for a car over 3 years.

A high GFMV means you're more likely not to want to buy that car at year 3 because that GFMV is what you have to pay to own the car.

A lower GFMV means, 1, your mileage is high and you have paid a lot more for the car or 2 you have paid more for the car than you probably should have and this is likely to mean that there's more of a chance you will buy the car if your GFMV is lower. You get nothing for nothing, if there's more equity in the car it's because you've paid for it.

Someone should not get PCP thinking that they have more value in the car above the GFMV.

There's two ways the dealer will calculate the repayments on the car, they will make you pay more to lower the GFMV to give you the false impression the car has more equity at the end meaning you pay more PM to pay more off the car.

They can also calculate it out so you pay a lot less per month meaning GFMV is high which means you're less likely to pay this at the end and more likely to put this towards a new car.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,049 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Impressive banana box test

I gotta admit, I was pretty blown away by that result, wasn't expecting it to beat the E-Tron

When the ID.6 and ID.Buzz comes out it might unseat the Model X and EQV and get VW the top 3 cars on the list

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

So with PCP and COVID less mileage, folks would have borrowed more on PCP than they had to ; so the extra equity built up has an associated interest cost.

That sound right Mad_lad ?

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

80sDiesel wrote: »
    So with PCP and COVID less mileage, folks would have borrowed more on PCP than they had to ; so the extra equity built up has an associated interest cost.

Whether the PCP is structured as high GMFV, low planned equity (like Mad_Lad understands) or the low GMFV, high planned equity (like Hyundai sell) the amount you borrow is still the same.

The extra equity results in lower interests costs, you will have paid more of the car off. The simplest way to think of it, the interest you pay each month is on the outstanding monthly payments + GMFV.
    Despite what some people say, PCP is only designed to get you into the new cars every three years. Some brands believe the best way to do this is via low monthly payments, others believe it's through not having to pay a deposit again.

I'm going to make a bit of an overarching statement here and say that buying a new car, whether for cash or on finance, is never going to be a good decision from a financial standpoint :)

Now it's really a question of which is the least bad path

Truth be told, I think with the price that new cars cost now (EV or ICE) that it's unrealistic to buy a car for cash, unless you've hit the point in life where your mortgage is mostly paid off and kids are past the expensive childcare age

For me, PCP was the only real option for getting an ID.4, HP or a loan would have crippled my ability to save and I didn't want to be in debt for more than 3 years with the car.

I'm willing to accept that in 3 years I've got to make this final payment or sell the car on, or worst case hand it back and walk away without a car. Don't have any choice really

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭terenurebob

I got a Tiguan on PCP 3 years ago. The GMFV was €9,000 and the dealer gave me €14,000 when I returned it. I used the €5,000 as part deposit for my ID 4.

I'm sure the dealer is still making money on both the Tiguan and the ID 4 but it seemed like a reasonable deal to me.

Buying a car is not an investment so I've resigned myself to basically renting a car for the rest of my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,919 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I got a Tiguan on PCP 3 years ago. The GMFV was €9,000 and the dealer gave me €14,000 when I returned it. I used the €5,000 as part deposit for my ID 4.

I'm sure the dealer is still making money on both the Tiguan and the ID 4 but it seemed like a reasonable deal to me.

Buying a car is not an investment so I've resigned myself to basically renting a car for the rest of my life.

How much was the Tiguan new? Much milage on it?

For me with my ID3 I've said from day one that if I'm not happy with the trade in at year 3 I'm just going to buy the car out and keep it for another 5-6 years. With my milage at the moment I'll have about 20k km done at the end of the PCP so the car will be still like new :pac:

TitianGerm wrote: »
    How much was the Tiguan new? Much milage on it? :pac:

It was 25k new and had ~67K kms when I gave it back. I got an extra allowance when I booked ID 4 in October so I wasn't directly charged for the additional kms.

• Advertisement

It was 25k new and had ~67K kms when I gave it back. I got an extra allowance when I booked ID 4 in October so I wasn't directly charged for the additional kms.

That seems very cheap for a new Tiguan. Can you even buy a Golf for €25k?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

It'll no doubt be terrible stuff. Lots of sling from it I'm sure.

I didn't get any socks (or even a bloody manual for the car) but I did wrangle free 'Lifeshine' paint protection - supposedly worth €300 which is bollocks of course.....but it actually included a case full of Auto Glym products - easily €100 worth I'd say if buying individually.

I didn't get any socks (or even a bloody manual for the car) but I did wrangle free 'Lifeshine' paint protection - supposedly worth €300 which is bollocks of course.....but it actually included a case full of Auto Glym products - easily €100 worth I'd say if buying individually.

Mine are VW branded. :rolleyes:

That seems very cheap for a new Tiguan. Can you even buy a Golf for €25k?

Yeah, good spot. It was 162 that I bought in 2017 but it only had 4 kms on the clock so that's the reason for me calling it new. Technically it was a year old by the time I bought it and it was the older body style. That's the reason for the cheaper price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭cannco253

VW Director Of e-Mobility Details Journey To Bring The ID.4 To The US
    https://insideevs.com/news/498229/vw-director-emobility-dustin-krause-id4/

I wonder who the VW "EV guy" is for Ireland, would be interesting to hear their views on some the points that apply to the Irish market.

Starting to notice a few "UX" slip ups from VW. Cabin storage on the RHD isn't amazing.
    - Glovebox is tiny because of the fuse box.
    - No place for a tissue box (might see if I can squeeze one under the center console
    - No 12V, or subtle usb port for a dash camera. I'd have to wire it the rear USB C port for the least intrusion, or find a fuse to piggyback off of.
    - Middle vents make my left knee cold
    - No sunglasses holder up at the drivers reading lights

On the plus side the door bins are huge, so sunglasses, sanitiser etc are going there for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

No, a lower GFMV means you pay more PM which isn't what PCP is about, PCP is about paying as little as possible for a car over 3 years.

A high GFMV means you're more likely not to want to buy that car at year 3 because that GFMV is what you have to pay to own the car.

A lower GFMV means, 1, your mileage is high and you have paid a lot more for the car or 2 you have paid more for the car than you probably should have and this is likely to mean that there's more of a chance you will buy the car if your GFMV is lower. You get nothing for nothing, if there's more equity in the car it's because you've paid for it.

Someone should not get PCP thinking that they have more value in the car above the GFMV.

There's two ways the dealer will calculate the repayments on the car, they will make you pay more to lower the GFMV to give you the false impression the car has more equity at the end meaning you pay more PM to pay more off the car.

They can also calculate it out so you pay a lot less per month meaning GFMV is high which means you're less likely to pay this at the end and more likely to put this towards a new car.

There seems to be a bit of misunderstanding over how PCP works (or should work). A standard* PCP plan absolutely should give you equity at the end - i.e. the car is worth more than the GMFV. The ideal is that this equity is approximately equal to the deposit you put in first day, with the intention being that you use this equity as the deposit for your next PCP without sticking more cash in. At the correct deposit level, and all else being equal, this will mean you move from old car to new car at the same repayments per month, and without putting in extra cash. The ultimate aim is that you treat your car like your mobile phone - pay a certain amount each month, and upgrade every three years.

There's two critical elements to this - the deposit and the GMFV.

Put in too much deposit and your monthly repayments will be very low - but will increase substantially on the next car as the equity remains the same, or you'll need to fork out more deposit to get the same repayments. Cue unhappy driver moaning at the salesman. You'll notice that most PCPs don't allow a deposit great than ~30% - this is the reason. I understand from a celebrated Boards VW dealer than VW have identified ~15% as being the 'best' deposit level to move smoothly from one PCP to the next.

GMFV needs to be right too**. Making the GMFV high means lower repayments - but little or no equity at the end. Cue unhappy driver moaning that he's got to put more cash in to get the same repayments on his next PCP, or have higher repayments. GMFV percentage varies from brand to brand, but 30 - 40% seems to be the general level expected to have a smooth transition from plan to plan without too many shocks. I recall BMW in particular being criticised for running ~45% GMFVs which pulled in buyers with low monthly repayments, but they got ****ed at the other end as they had SFA equity and needed to pay out another deposit. In contrast, Mercedes didn't go that easy route and instead went with higher payments and lower GMFVs, but their buyers were stepping into new cars without having to fork out big cash deposits.

Of course, GMFV is crystal ball territory really - maybe the car will be worth more than the GMFV, or maybe it'll be an AIDS car that no one wants and gives you nothing in your pocket.

As examples, here's my cars for the last while - going into my third PCP now.

PCP 1.
    152 Nissan Leaf. ~€26k or so (don't recall exactly).
    ~€5k deposit (€4k scrappage and €1k cash, or something like that anyway).
    ~€10k GMFV.
    Trade in ~€11,100 so €1100 equity***. Poor enough (but actually better than it was looking earlier when I considered getting out under the half rule as it looked like no equity - thankfully EVs started becoming more popular in ~2018 and value went up).

PCP 2.
    182 Nissan Leaf. €34200.
    €5600 deposit, comprising €1100 equity and €4500 cash - because of poor equity I've had to stump up more money and I'm not happy.
    €13800 GMFV (it was actually ~€12000, but I settled it early so had to pay more, but would have paid that difference in repayments anyway had I went to the end).
    Sold privately for €20,500 so €6700 equity - now we're talking!

PCP 3.
    211 ID4. €41000.
    €6700 deposit, all from Leaf equity and no extra cash thrown in - I'm a happy camper!
    €19000 GMFV - strong, very strong, may lead to equity issues at the end but we'll see.

In the end, the combination of high equity from the second Leaf, and fairly high GMFV means I walked out of the Leaf and into the more expensive VW, and my monthly repayments are actually going down! Let's hope they're in demand in three years and there's a decent enough deposit to move easily again.

* Several manufacturers are now doing a new version of PCP (including VW, who are calling it the ID Plan for their EVs) - tends to be called Subscribe and Drive or similar. Aimed primarily at younger people who don't have a deposit - so no or very little cash thrown down, and higher monthly repayments. High GMFV so no / little equity.

** Keep a close eye on dealer figures! Some brands (including VW) have GMFV values fixed by their brand. Some brands who use AIB / BOI financing allow dealers flexibility to change GMFVs, which can be very misleading if you're not aware of it. We bought a Peugeot 5008 for my wife last July and found that some dealers would 'undercut' the monthly repayments given by another dealer.......but increased the GMFV which cancelled out the difference, or even meant it cost more overall (i.e. you paid a similar amount overall, but owed more at the end = less equity). Always ask for the GMFV because they often won't tell you, over the phone at least.

*** that was a trade in price. I actually shook hands on a private sale which would have netted me another €1500, but the bloody car developed a fault literally two hours later FFS! I refused to sell it to him even though he still wanted it as it was at work and I wouldn't complete unless I was 100% the car was solid.

Starting to notice a few "UX" slip ups from VW. Cabin storage on the RHD isn't amazing.
    - Glovebox is tiny because of the fuse box.
    - No place for a tissue box (might see if I can squeeze one under the center console
    - No 12V, or subtle usb port for a dash camera. I'd have to wire it the rear USB C port for the least intrusion, or find a fuse to piggyback off of.
    - Middle vents make my left knee cold
    - No sunglasses holder up at the drivers reading lights

On the plus side the door bins are huge, so sunglasses, sanitiser etc are going there for now.

There's a 12V in the boot.

There must be some sort of dash cam connector under the rear view mirror housing because VW are selling a dash cam with install for €300.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭cannco253

and another €259 for a rear dash cam
    https://www.wexfordvolkswagen.ie/en/id-4-accessories

I've also seen the 12v used to power a wifi dongle so you don't need the cubic telecom package or use your phone as a hotspot

There's a 12V in the boot.

There must be some sort of dash cam connector under the rear view mirror housing because VW are selling a dash cam with install for €300.

I'll have a root around this weekend hopefully. The 12V in the boot is no use to my dashcam in the front.
    cannco253 wrote: »
    and another €259 for a rear dash cam
    https://www.wexfordvolkswagen.ie/en/id-4-accessories

I've also seen the 12v used to power a wifi dongle so you don't need the cubic telecom package or use your phone as a hotspot

I don't mind using my phone hotspot, if I can get it to automatically turn on when the phone connects to the cars bluetooth, though hotspot + navigation + music all going wireless to Android Auto might be too much for the phone to handle.

For now, i've the cubic telecom free package, twas the easiest. When I setup the wifi on the car I realised there was no internet behind it, and somehow I couldn't forget the cars wifi connection so it kept connecting me, and thus leaving my phone internetless. :mad: Cubic has bought me a month to figure it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,097 ✭✭✭✭KCross

For now, i've the cubic telecom free package, twas the easiest. When I setup the wifi on the car I realised there was no internet behind it, and somehow I couldn't forget the cars wifi connection so it kept connecting me, and thus leaving my phone internetless. :mad: Cubic has bought me a month to figure it out.

Are the ID.4 owners only getting one month of free Cubic Telecom?

I thought that the 1GB Cubic Telecom plan was for several years?

KCross wrote: »
    Are the ID.4 owners only getting one month of free Cubic Telecom?

I thought that the 1GB Cubic Telecom plan was for several years?

3 months actually. Mine expires in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭v10

How much does it cost after that ?

Can you swap the sim in the car like you can in an Audi and use whatever provider you like ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,097 ✭✭✭✭KCross

v10 wrote: »
    How much does it cost after that ?

30 Day
    2GB
    EUR 7.95

90 day
    5GB
    EUR 18.95

365 Day
    25GB
    EUR 85.00

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭PaulRyan97

https://insideevs.com/news/498333/volkswagen-id4-deliveries-us-march/

Looks like we're neck and neck with the US in sales figures. Shocking how low it is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

PaulRyan97 wrote: »
    https://insideevs.com/news/498333/volkswagen-id4-deliveries-us-march/

Looks like we're neck and neck with the US in sales figures. Shocking how low it is there.

Petrol is half the price there, meanwhile here there is another thread where it is believed that its not worth charging a phev because petrol is cheaper but you know " some people ":D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭v10

KCross wrote: »
    30 Day
    2GB
    EUR 7.95

90 day
    5GB
    EUR 18.95

365 Day
    25GB
    EUR 85.00

Not the worst rates I've seen I suppose, I wonder can you change the simcard

The telematics for the app are free for a few years though right? It's just the internet connection for the car that requires a fee

80sDiesel wrote: »

That sound right Mad_lad ?

Yes, anyone who got PCP before the covid based on their long commute will be paying a lot more than they would have based on their now current mileage with covid, although I think you can renegotiate, I'm not sure about that but worth checking it out but it's also worth noting that when things are back to normal it's highly possible companies will demand employees back in the office.
    liamog wrote: »
    Whether the PCP is structured as high GMFV, low planned equity (like Mad_Lad understands) or the low GMFV, high planned equity (like Hyundai sell) the amount you borrow is still the same.
    liamog wrote: »
    The extra equity results in lower interests costs, you will have paid more of the car off. The simplest way to think of it, the interest you pay each month is on the outstanding monthly payments + GMFV.
    Despite what some people say, PCP is only designed to get you into the new cars every three years. Some brands believe the best way to do this is via low monthly payments, others believe it's through not having to pay a deposit again.

Yes based on 80sDiesel lower mileage due to covid scenario he'd have more equity in the car with the lower mileage and if he based his plan on commute mileage pre covid but the point of PCP is that it's designed to pay as little as possible to begin with by not paying more than you have to, it's not designed as a means to pay back the full amount for a car, defeats the purpose, of PCP.

• Advertisement

There seems to be a bit of misunderstanding over how PCP works (or should work). A standard* PCP plan absolutely should give you equity at the end - i.e. the car is worth more than the GMFV. The ideal is that this equity is approximately equal to the deposit you put in first day, with the intention being that you use this equity as the deposit for your next PCP without sticking more cash in. At the correct deposit level, and all else being equal, this will mean you move from old car to new car at the same repayments per month, and without putting in extra cash. The ultimate aim is that you treat your car like your mobile phone - pay a certain amount each month, and upgrade every three years.

There's two critical elements to this - the deposit and the GMFV.

Put in too much deposit and your monthly repayments will be very low - but will increase substantially on the next car as the equity remains the same, or you'll need to fork out more deposit to get the same repayments. Cue unhappy driver moaning at the salesman. You'll notice that most PCPs don't allow a deposit great than ~30% - this is the reason. I understand from a celebrated Boards VW dealer than VW have identified ~15% as being the 'best' deposit level to move smoothly from one PCP to the next.

GMFV needs to be right too**. Making the GMFV high means lower repayments - but little or no equity at the end. Cue unhappy driver moaning that he's got to put more cash in to get the same repayments on his next PCP, or have higher repayments. GMFV percentage varies from brand to brand, but 30 - 40% seems to be the general level expected to have a smooth transition from plan to plan without too many shocks. I recall BMW in particular being criticised for running ~45% GMFVs which pulled in buyers with low monthly repayments, but they got ****ed at the other end as they had SFA equity and needed to pay out another deposit. In contrast, Mercedes didn't go that easy route and instead went with higher payments and lower GMFVs, but their buyers were stepping into new cars without having to fork out big cash deposits.

Of course, GMFV is crystal ball territory really - maybe the car will be worth more than the GMFV, or maybe it'll be an AIDS car that no one wants and gives you nothing in your pocket.

As examples, here's my cars for the last while - going into my third PCP now.

PCP 1.
    152 Nissan Leaf. ~€26k or so (don't recall exactly).
    ~€5k deposit (€4k scrappage and €1k cash, or something like that anyway).
    ~€10k GMFV.
    Trade in ~€11,100 so €1100 equity***. Poor enough (but actually better than it was looking earlier when I considered getting out under the half rule as it looked like no equity - thankfully EVs started becoming more popular in ~2018 and value went up).

PCP 2.
    182 Nissan Leaf. €34200.
    €5600 deposit, comprising €1100 equity and €4500 cash - because of poor equity I've had to stump up more money and I'm not happy.
    €13800 GMFV (it was actually ~€12000, but I settled it early so had to pay more, but would have paid that difference in repayments anyway had I went to the end).
    Sold privately for €20,500 so €6700 equity - now we're talking!

PCP 3.
    211 ID4. €41000.
    €6700 deposit, all from Leaf equity and no extra cash thrown in - I'm a happy camper!
    €19000 GMFV - strong, very strong, may lead to equity issues at the end but we'll see.

In the end, the combination of high equity from the second Leaf, and fairly high GMFV means I walked out of the Leaf and into the more expensive VW, and my monthly repayments are actually going down! Let's hope they're in demand in three years and there's a decent enough deposit to move easily again.

* Several manufacturers are now doing a new version of PCP (including VW, who are calling it the ID Plan for their EVs) - tends to be called Subscribe and Drive or similar. Aimed primarily at younger people who don't have a deposit - so no or very little cash thrown down, and higher monthly repayments. High GMFV so no / little equity.

** Keep a close eye on dealer figures! Some brands (including VW) have GMFV values fixed by their brand. Some brands who use AIB / BOI financing allow dealers flexibility to change GMFVs, which can be very misleading if you're not aware of it. We bought a Peugeot 5008 for my wife last July and found that some dealers would 'undercut' the monthly repayments given by another dealer.......but increased the GMFV which cancelled out the difference, or even meant it cost more overall (i.e. you paid a similar amount overall, but owed more at the end = less equity). Always ask for the GMFV because they often won't tell you, over the phone at least.

*** that was a trade in price. I actually shook hands on a private sale which would have netted me another €1500, but the bloody car developed a fault literally two hours later FFS! I refused to sell it to him even though he still wanted it as it was at work and I wouldn't complete unless I was 100% the car was solid.

I never said PCP wasn't designed to have a deposit at the end, but some people expect this and if the car depreciates more than calculated you won't have one or less like my situation with the 2015 Leaf so the next time I checked they were offering pcp with 5K GFMV making sure that there was no risk to the dealer in loosing money because the person paying the pcp was paying most of the cost of the car, so PCP in that case would not have been of any value.

IF there is a deposit at the end you're paying for it. You get nothing for nothing.

Advertisement