Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N22 - Macroom to Ballyvourney (Macroom Bypass) [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

aisling86 wrote: »
    Yes thats the one down the side of graveyard.

So obviously there's another bridge going up here I take it. I go for runs on that road as well, will be weird having a little secluded country road having a new primary road built over it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

So obviously there's another bridge going up here I take it. I go for runs on that road as well, will be weird having a little secluded country road having a new primary road built over it.

The new N22 will go under this road here, so they will be starting on an overbridge next month (just like Coolynane Road Upper)

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭aisling86

marno21 wrote: »
    The new N22 will go under this road here, so they will be starting on an overbridge next month (just like Coolynane Road Upper)

Its mad how they can do this isn't it! Cooleyhane upper is quite impressive. I can't wait to be able to walk it again. We had a few walks last summer but its all locked down now & they have a public notice saying its illegal etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Go there over Easter, any security will likely be off on their holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭keano25

Has anyone worked out how much time this bypass is going to save time wise ?

I presume it'll take 10-12 minutes to travel it?

• Advertisement

My guess is 10-15 minutes off peak, likely more on-peak. It'll also be a far, far, far (insert many "far" here) nicer drive than the disaster of the current route.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The contractors were off today so I took the opportunity to have a look around.

I’m guessing that many of the routes were they will have minor diversions will be complete shortly. The Ballyvourney interchange will require closing the current Clondrohid road so they will need to open the road through the junction to allow that road to close. Earthworks are very advanced here.

The alignment of the existing N22 at Carrigaphooca is now visible coming from Killarney. The existing N22 will run through the cutting on the left and the new route will pass to the right elevated above the existing road. The existing N22 will be diverted onto the new alignment for the local road here to allow for closure of the current alignment of the N22.

The Coolyhane Road Upper bridge is almost complete. There is significant earthworks to be done west of here once it does to bring down the level of the land for the N22 alignment. Presumably the crew from this bridge will move to Kilnagurteen.

Work has recommenced on the retaining walls at the Mill Road overbridge. They started here but stopped when the construction lockdown came in but they’re almost complete now. There’s a lot of embankment to complete between the many bridges along here in the Sullane Valley.

Would recommend a drive down the link road between the Bell Inn and the N22 for a look west. It’s super impressive what’s going on between there and Carrigaphooca. A massive project well done.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Picture from Michael Creed Facebook page
    Beam lift yesterday

Nice picture but not sure why he felt the need to badly photoshop a digger and piles of soil into the bottom right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

spacetweek wrote: »
    Nice picture but not sure why he felt the need to badly photoshop a digger and piles of soil into the bottom right.

He didn't. It's probably a screengrab from Instagram or some other platform that lets you overlay "fun" animations onto your pictures..

Work on the last 2 structures on the Macroom bypass to commence shortly with associated road closures:

L7456 Clonfadda Road: May 4th - September 10th
    L7459 Kilnagurteen: June 8th - December 3rd

Should see all structures on the Macroom section complete in 2021. Be nice to see this section open next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Prowetod

https://www.engineersireland.ie/Events/event/7442

A lunchtime webinar on this Tuesday might be of interest to some - it's on the design & construction of the Bohill River Bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

Work on the last 2 structures on the Macroom bypass to commence shortly with associated road closures:

L7456 Clonfadda Road: May 4th - September 10th
    L7459 Kilnagurteen: June 8th - December 3rd

Should see all structures on the Macroom section complete in 2021. Be nice to see this section open next year.

Has anyone confirmed the Macroom section will be open next year and if so is there any ETA?

HillFarmer wrote: »
    Has anyone confirmed the Macroom section will be open next year and if so is there any ETA?

I think its just all speculation at the moment there was never an indication given that it would open in different stages.

I saw the sign that they were blasting today up kilnagurteen but holy sweet jesus the whole house just shook. Got such a fright!

I drove Ballyvourney to home in Cobh today after a lovely diversion to St Gobnaits well in Ballyvourney... there is currently an entire field of cuckooflower out which is spectacular, and there are carpets of celendine and a white one I didn't recognise. Its well worth a quick visit (religious or not) if you're in the area.

Anyway.

1) Got the attached photo from one of the side roads of the Ballyvourney bypass.

2) Where did the talk of sectional openings come from? The point west of Macroom where a sectional bypass opening of the town would have to join the current N22 had now got a massive embankment appearing at it. It'll go over the current N22, and quite high above it too. Without a lot of work and earthworks, I don't see how there can be a sectional opening.

3) The Mill Road overbridge is spectacular. Is this the only "bridge over a bridge over a river" that we have in Ireland?

Stop/go in place at Carrigaphooca from May 4th til June 18th. This is likely to provide the new alignment of the existing route at this location. As you head east, you can see the alignment of the new R608 which will be in the cutting on the left beside the new N22. The R608 will then head under the new N22 at the bridge currently under construction which is open for the L road at this location.

Stop go was also in place for one day only at Coolnacaheragh where work has commenced on the earthworks at this location between the two towns. The existing N22 will dive under the new route at an underbridge here.

Work is also racing ahead on the new junction at Toon Lane where the existing Baile Mhic Ire-Clondrohid road will be diverted to a new link road, which will feature a junction with the new road, before meeting the existing N22 at a roundabout. Works are clearly visible beside the existing N22 here where a roundabout will be constructed. This diversion to the new link road is also going to have to go ahead shortly to allow earthworks on the current, to be closed, existing Clondrohid Road.

Work is also commencing in earnest at the western terminus at Slieverea where the new route terminates at a GSJ with the existing N22.

On the Macroom side, lots of fill being hauled in now to provide the embankments between the plethora of new bridges, namely the three in a short section crossing the R618, the Laney River and the Mill Road.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Is tomorrow the last day of the Clonfadda road being open until September? Was maybe thinking of going up and taking a few photos, and I could then post the before and after in September. Although the weather is supposed to be terrible tomorrow, today would've been my day to do it.

Is tomorrow the last day of the Clonfadda road being open until September? Was maybe thinking of going up and taking a few photos, and I could then post the before and after in September. Although the weather is supposed to be terrible tomorrow, today would've been my day to do it.

Yes closed 4th May until 10th September

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭yannakis

Yes closed 4th May until 10th September

Is it this part that's closed for the period you mentioned?

oGk9r7J.png

• Advertisement

yannakis wrote: »
    Is it this part that's closed for the period you mentioned?

oGk9r7J.png

Sure is.

Down to one lane now at Carrigaphooca where work is commencing on the new alignment of the existing N22 (future R608)

Work is underway now on the new roundabout beside the bridge which will form one half of a dumbbell junction albeit with no slip roads onto the N22.

This is going to be septic at peak times with the travel limits being removed and stuff opening up. (Not that the travel limits are being enforced atm anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭yannakis

Sure is.

Thank you. I'll add a closure in Waze :pac:

Maybe I'm going mad Marno but none of those pictures are appearing for me, on either laptop or mobile. Anyone else the same?

EDIT: Ok, seems it's a Chrome issue as I tried Internet Explorer (!) and they're appearing fine there. Great pictures! Really give you an appreciation of how rugged and tough the the terrain they've had to work with is. Can't get over how near the road will be to those two houses in the Bohill Bridge pictures. Will be some change for those people living in the remote countryside to now having a huge new road right next to their houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

Photos also not displaying with MS Edge (which is chrome under the hood)

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Reuben1210

Not displaying for me either. I am using chrome, which is generally much better than IE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭cantalach

Displaying fine in Firefox.

For those not aware, using IE as a day to day browser really is asking for trouble...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Newtown90

Down to one lane now at Carrigaphooca where work is commencing on the new alignment of the existing N22 (future R608)

Work is underway now on the new roundabout beside the bridge which will form one half of a dumbbell junction albeit with no slip roads onto the N22.

This is going to be septic at peak times with the travel limits being removed and stuff opening up. (Not that the travel limits are being enforced atm anyway).

Any idea how long this is planned for?

Was a nightmare yesterday morning at 6.45, had lots of idiots passing all the traffic qued up at the red lights and going against oncoming traffic rather than wait the 10 minutes.

It was flowing much better this morning.

Advertisement