Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faddy trends in home design

Options
  • 01-04-2021 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭

What are some of the current fads in home design that you believe to be overrated?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,258 ✭✭✭✭fits

panelling (looks sideways)

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭lemonkey

fits wrote: »
    panelling (looks sideways)

This. Absolutely rotten, especially when they're painted an extremely dark colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Open plan nonsense. £400k for a house where you can't watch the TV in peace with the kettle/oven etc. on :pac:

theteal wrote: »
    Open plan nonsense. £400k for a house where you can't watch the TV in peace with the kettle/oven etc. on :pac:

I really want a boiling water tap for this reason ( as long as they aren’t noisy too)

I really want a boiling water tap for this reason ( as long as they aren’t noisy too)

That still leaves the oven, washing machine etc - a few I've seen don't have a separate utility room or anything like that, all just one big room. It looks great and all, "a great space for entertaining" jazz but I will be far from entertained when all I can hear is background noise.

Anyway, apologies, just venting. We've a great house that could well do us forever but we're in a better financial place since we bought and I can't help but keep an eye out for something newer/nicer (i.e. less DIY for me) but it appears nicer/newer means smaller, noisier, stupid layout and all for £100k more than our perfectly good house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

What you need is a man cave. A nice tool shed with a 60" TV and cold keg is the job.

Failing that, you can pull a few kitchen chairs together and throw a sheet over them to make a tent. Watch netflix on the phone with earphones firmly pressed into ears and a glass of warm milk by your side. Bliss :D

For the FAD question: Pergolas out the back of a semi-D. Jaysus wept

Stay Free

Rag rolling and stencils were big in the 90s.
    My friends ma rag rolled brown over yellow.
    We called it the dirty protest room!

Around 15/16 years ago I used to fit kitchens and the rich people would always get the clive christians style ones.
    Extremely busy with pillars ,cornes and corbels etc
    Very out of fashion now.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

No other colours apart from 50 shades of grey.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Currently those bleak white tiled kitchens that look like a hospital sluice-room.

Also, kitchen islands: awkward to plumb in, put all your lazy clutter on show, and very inflexible - no pushing back the table for an impromptu country dance!

And houses decorated in many shades of beige and grey. Ugh, so drab.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Minier81

That still leaves the oven, washing machine etc - a few I've seen don't have a separate utility room or anything like that, all just one big room. It looks great and all, "a great space for entertaining" jazz but I will be far from entertained when all I can hear is background noise.

Great space for entertaining until after dinner when everyone is looking at filthy pots and pans while sipping their digestifs!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭phormium

I like panelling :) I have some of my house panelled since 1990s and have just redone my kitchen and will probably do some more in there, sorry!

As for 50 shades of grey it drives me mad! I want a white kitchen, not hospital white as a lot of colour in other parts of it, it's difficult to get and takes longer than any colour, easiest to get is grey. It looks like I will be stuck with getting a grey countertop as there literally is nothing else of the sort I want. I can't understand why you'd want the inside of a house painted grey when that is the sky we are looking at for most of the year, depressing stuff! I have painted my kitchen walls and ceiling the colour sky I'd like to see :)

Stencilling I loved back in the 80s, still have a few bits in the house believe it or not, couldnt afford tiles on splashback in kitchen back then and painted and stencilled tiles on, have stood the test of time and everyone assumes they are tiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Stipple ceilings, and embossed papered ceilings, bidets, wallpaper under the Dado rail, painted over the Dado rail. "Your house was very small with woodchip on the wall "

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

islands. Just plonked down on the floor.
    Can’t wait til they are no longer a thing.

And those lights with the curley filaments on view that don’t provide light!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭BrenMar

TVs mounted over the fireplace. This uncomfortable trend seems to be the law or something, all the sheep are doing it. What's wrong with a TV at eye level?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭KaneToad

BrenMar wrote: »
    TVs mounted over the fireplace. This uncomfortable trend seems to be the law or something, all the sheep are doing it. What's wrong with a TV at eye level?

Always found this odd too. Maybe it's to recreate the pub feeling of looking up at the TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,286 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Hate open plan

Actively turned down an acquisition as they had knocked internal walls and turned it into an open plan

The wife is ok with it but it’s a big no from me

Our house is open plan with island etc. It works really well with young family. Eventually we will have separate living room when we get around to finishing renovations. The only thing that gets to me is kettle boiling but bought a coffee machine so not as much of an issue now. Separate utility room and no noise from other appliances.

I actually quite like panelling too but it’s getting so ubiquitous I wonder if it will date.

Agree about too much grey. And there’s a lot of it in our house but too much light grey is really sickly looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Doniekp

only sound from them is when using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭gladerunner

I like a Kitchen Island, if the space is adequate. They always attract people and you can make the tea while chatting away.

It's the inset wall column that I think is in every new build now ( complete with naff electric fire & huge telly ). Some of them are neat, but loads of them are just awful and unnecessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Everywhere grey, ugh, so ugly and uninviting.
    Likewise this trend for battered looking industrial interior design. Who wants to live in Steptoe's yard? Crates for shelving and polished over rusty old filing cabinet acting as a tall boy. And polished concrete floors are ugly, as are bare concrete walls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭spodoinkle

Saves space and prevents a toddler from tossing it, are some of the benefits

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

spodoinkle wrote: »
    Saves space and prevents a toddler from tossing it, are some of the benefits
    Agreed & I have a recliner, It works great with my tv over the fireplace.
    Prefer it to a lower tv

KaneToad wrote: »
    Always found this odd too. Maybe it's to recreate the pub feeling of looking up at the TV?

Baaa, some of us have no other option in these times of massive TVs (I tried all alternatives positions). Meh, we sit 4m+ away so my initial concerns have not come to fruition. Tbh I'd do away with the fireplace if it were up to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,794 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

This really gets me too. If you look at "home of the year" or "grand designs" it's always open plan.

How does anyone have any privacy?

I'm a firm believer in there should be space ,apart from bedrooms, where guests can be without disrupting the rest of the household.

This really gets me too. If you look at "home of the year" or "grand designs" it's always open plan.

They nearly always have the TVs over the fireplace too.
    awful ****e !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Doniekp wrote: »
    only sound from them is when using it.

My mate got one of these instant water boiling taps and it was a nightmare - sounded great on paper and in the showroom but OMG - they had a combined faucet and the cold water had to come theough the same ststem even if it was turned off for ‘instant hot’ and you would literally be ten mjnutes waiting for two glasses of water to fill - to to fill the kettle. Never again! Cost them a fortune to have knstalled and then uninstalled!!!

Dislikes - islands, open plan, roller disco kitchens, tunnel living in a room too narrow to have the couch placed anywhere except alongside the one maIn wall, ‘dresser’ visible from bedroom wardrobes without doors, bedrooms with nowhere for the bed to be placed except facing the toilet door and entrance door. En suites where the view from the bed is the toilet bow. If I wanted prison style living I’d rob a bank and at least have the cash benefit.

Nowhere for bins to be except outside your front window. ffs. If you’ve just spent half a million on a house you want a better view than bins and the eau de brown bin , flies & rotting food in the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Everywhere grey, ugh, so ugly and uninviting.
    Likewise this trend for battered looking industrial interior design. Who wants to live in Steptoe's yard? Crates for shelving and polished over rusty old filing cabinet acting as a tall boy. And polished concrete floors are ugly, as are bare concrete walls.

I actually like it. I can see why people don't. But I like the simplicity of it.

How does anyone have any privacy?

I'm a firm believer in there should be space ,apart from bedrooms, where guests can be without disrupting the rest of the household.

I like open plan. But it has its limitations. Working from home, noisy teens on their xbox, studying, private conversations in a busy house. But if you have a small place it does makes it feel bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

beauf wrote: »
    I actually like it. I can see why people don't. But I like the simplicity of it.

Prison chic.

Gets you ready for your next ten year interior when the endless monotony of it makes you go postal and run amuck in the neighbourhood with your drinking while shopping on the internet late night purchase AK47.

• Advertisement

B-D-P-- wrote: »
    Agreed & I have a recliner, It works great with my tv over the fireplace.
    Prefer it to a lower tv

Thats only going to work in limited situations.

Advertisement