Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Broadband in waterford city

• 01-04-2021 9:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭

hi

I am down with the out laws :) for a few days and have to work from here. yesterday was dreadful - broadband kept dropping and really bad speeds, essentially unworkable

Am based in Ballinakill, I don't know much about the broadband scenario in this area. Neighbors are elderly and don't seem to know either etc

I thought being in a big city that broadband speeds would be ok, not as if it’s out in a remote rural location etc.

I am connected directly to the modem with an RJ 45 cable, and I am getting max 6 meg download and max 0.3 upload

On wifi on my mobile, its the same, when standing right beside modem
    Brought down Alexa show and she spends more time offline than online !!

Does anybody know if there is a general issue with broadband in this area?
    or is it just I need to get on to the supplier to upgrade the line if possible

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Flyin Irishman

Do you know what ISP they are with? I haven't been having any issues with Virgin lately (~10ms ping, ~240 down, ~24 up)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭obi604

Do you know what ISP they are with? I haven't been having any issues with Virgin lately (~10ms ping, ~240 down, ~24 up)

Jaysus, thats good.

With Vodafone
    Have been for years, Modem itself is years old etc, (not that the modem will magically fox this )

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

obi604 wrote: »
    Jaysus, thats good.

With Vodafone
    Have been for years, Modem itself is years old etc, (not that the modem will magically fox this )

My VM is 500/50 all the time. You have a specific problem which could be solved by changing providers.

My VM is 500/50 all the time. You have a specific problem which could be solved by changing providers.

to be honest, they have not rang the provider in years
    haven't even alerted them there is an issue
    so maybe if I get in contact, there may be some solution

• Registered Users Posts: 28,779 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

to be honest, they have not rang the provider in years
    haven't even alerted them there is an issue
    so maybe if I get in contact, there may be some solution

definitely give them a ring, theyre brutal speeds, thats like dial up. virgin here to, rock solid, and im hammering the sh1te outta the line last few months streaming, not a bother to it

• Advertisement

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    definitely give them a ring, theyre brutal speeds, thats like dial up. virgin here to, rock solid, and im hammering the sh1te outta the line last few months streaming, not a bother to it

rang them just now, bleedin egypt call center, haven't heard that one before

they said right now its not possible to upgrade, and they they have to initiate a 'surve'y to see if its possible to get faster speeds

then we will be contacted about the 'survey' to see if its possible to upgrade the line and of course any extra costs

rang them just now, bleedin egypt call center, haven't heard that one before

they said right now its not possible to upgrade, and they they have to initiate a 'surve'y to see if its possible to get faster speeds

then we will be contacted about the 'survey' to see if its possible to upgrade the line and of course any extra costs

'thanks, but moving on'! lifes too short for that nonsense, would they be okay with you moving providers for them, you cant be working with that?

'thanks, but moving on'! lifes too short for that nonsense, would they be okay with you moving providers for them, you cant be working with that?

see im only here for a day or 2 so can manage
    the in laws are not overly concerned about it - and any talk of disruption or change will just 'frighten' them :)

see im only here for a day or 2 so can manage
    the in laws are not overly concerned about it - and any talk of disruption or change will just 'frighten' them :)

best to do nothing then, or life may create more drama, and lifes really too short for that, but slow bb is beyond painful, particularly when trying to work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

hi

I am down with the out laws :) for a few days and have to work from here. yesterday was dreadful - broadband kept dropping and really bad speeds, essentially unworkable

Am based in Ballinakill, I don't know much about the broadband scenario in this area. Neighbors are elderly and don't seem to know either etc

I thought being in a big city that broadband speeds would be ok, not as if it’s out in a remote rural location etc.

I am connected directly to the modem with an RJ 45 cable, and I am getting max 6 meg download and max 0.3 upload

On wifi on my mobile, its the same, when standing right beside modem
    Brought down Alexa show and she spends more time offline than online !!

I live across the road from Ballinakill and have virgin media broadband and it is ****e. On a 500Mb/s plan, even plugged-in 300Mb/s is about the best I ever got. Most of the time it is around 170Mb/s and it often much worse. Only waiting for SIRO to come here and I am going to change. Which should not be long now as I saw them working here the last week or two.

• Advertisement

best to do nothing then, or life may create more drama, and lifes really too short for that, but slow bb is beyond painful, particularly when trying to work

I’d like to change it for them, but they may get flustered with new bills, new provider etc etc. You know old people, they dont like change.

Vodafone are making out it’s an issue with the exchange, that it’s just all copper, but there is a possibility of getting part fibre, part copper.

Is this just rubbish?

My Real questions ;)
    if I was to move to a new provider, is there anything better they could do to get the speed improved? Or is it purely down to the physical line into the house and the exchange etc?

Would moving to a new provider mean they would automatically just upgrade the line as part of the scenario?

Last thing I want is the hassle of moving to a new provider and then be stuck with same speeds due to it being an actual line to the house issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,279 ✭✭✭jmcc

That sounds like an ADSL connection using a phoneline. The speed for ADSL is generally limited by the distance to the local exchange.
    It depends on the provider and the connection. There is a faster option for phonelines/copper and that that's Fibre to the Cabinet. (Eircom Fibre) That provides higher speeds due to the distance from the subscriber's premises being generally a few hundred metres from the cabinet rather than a few kilometres. The speeds on Eir Fibre are quite good and I generally get over 65Mb/s on a 70Mb/s connection. That's about 6 Megabytes download speed. The 'b' means bits and the 'B' means bytes. An ADSL connection maxes out around 4.4Mb/s download and 0.5 Mb/s upload.

From what I remember, there were two exchanges serving the area. (This may have changed.) One was in the city near the Post Office and one was out around Knockboy (Brasscock?). Connections to the exchange in the city would have lower speeds.

Virgin broadband tends to be the best option in terms of speed. Virgin generally provide their own router to customers. Not sure if the Gigabit fibre operators are covering Ballinakill yet so Virgin is probably the best for speeds over 100 Mb/s. It is cable broadband.

The providers generally quote the maximum available speed for connections in advertising but they vary depending on where the customer is and the number of customers using the same infrastructure. At zero dark thirty, the bandwidth/speed might be near the maximum but at peak time when people are watching Netflix or playing Fortnite the speeds will drop.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

BBM77 wrote: »
    I live across the road from Ballinakill and have virgin media broadband and it is ****e. On a 500Mb/s plan, even plugged-in 300Mb/s is about the best I ever got. Most of the time it is around 170Mb/s and it often much worse. Only waiting for SIRO to come here and I am going to change. Which should not be long now as I saw them working here the last week or two.

Let us know how that goes. They've been doing up the area I live in for months.

There are parts of west Clare that currently get faster broadband than places in Dublin city centre.

I thought that if you live in an area where there are services, and the likes of Eir have promised to upgrade, it isn't in the National Broadband plan and the likes of SIRO won't be coming?. If you live in an area without services, it feels like you can nearly expect to get the network upgraded quicker.

I’d like to change it for them, but they may get flustered with new bills, new provider etc etc. You know old people, they dont like change.

Vodafone are making out it’s an issue with the exchange, that it’s just all copper, but there is a possibility of getting part fibre, part copper.

Is this just rubbish?

My Real questions ;)
    if I was to move to a new provider, is there anything better they could do to get the speed improved? Or is it purely down to the physical line into the house and the exchange etc?

Would moving to a new provider mean they would automatically just upgrade the line as part of the scenario?

Last thing I want is the hassle of moving to a new provider and then be stuck with same speeds due to it being an actual line to the house issue.

The above is very long winded.

In simple terms - would changing the supplier somehow improve the situation, meaning that when they were to do the install they would upgrade the line etc?

Or am I still in the same boat with the new supplier - still have the underlying issue of copper to the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,675 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Ok. Let's start at the beginning. What package are they on at present? Do they have a bill you can look at? Go to bonkers or any other comparison site and put in the eircode to see what's available to their address. Looks like they're on an ancient ADSL package.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Ok. Let's start at the beginning. What package are they on at present? Do they have a bill you can look at? Go to bonkers or any other comparison site and put in the eircode to see what's available to their address. Looks like they're on an ancient ADSL package.

I have a bill alright. they are on 'Vodafone at home Talk Bundle' which has:

• Home extra broadband
    • Simply talk National extra

I have a bill alright. they are on 'Vodafone at home Talk Bundle' which has:

• Home extra broadband
    • Simply talk National extra

Any results on the comparison sites? Does home extra BB exist on the VF site now? Try the eircode on the VF site to see what available now.

Any results on the comparison sites? Does home extra BB exist on the VF site now? Try the eircode on the VF site to see what available now.

Yeah, as follows:

https://ibb.co/Wf7dzg6
    https://ibb.co/ZGv2ZCD

saying 'part fibre'
    speeds seems a bit optimistic, based on what is available now.

Yeah, as follows:

saying 'part fibre'

Part fibre means that it is Fibre to the cabinet. It is generally more stable than ADSL. Have you done any speed tests (speedtest.net etc) that you could post?

Regards...jmcc

jmcc wrote: »
    Part fibre means that it is Fibre to the cabinet. It is generally more stable than ADSL. Have you done any speed tests (speedtest.net etc) that you could post?

Regards...jmcc

download speeds slightly up today
    this is when I can get speedtest to actually work - half the time it times out

this is via a wired cable connected directly to the modem about 2 ft away

https://ibb.co/TWd2vZg
    https://ibb.co/GTLxz4W

• Advertisement

And attached is from WiFi on my mobile, again about 2ft away from the modem.

Yeah, as follows:

saying 'part fibre'

What you have now is copper wire all the way back to the exchange that's why the speeds are so low. A new connection would be copper from the house to the cabinet and fibre from there to the exchange. The maximum available speed on this system is 100meg. Distance from the cabinet affects it greatly. Do you know where the cabinet is? When I was on that system before I went to VM I was about 660meters from the cabinet and was getting a rock solid 65 down and 15 up and it worked perfectly. It would be easy enough to get changed over to the fttc system although an engineer's visit would be required. Once that's done everything would still look the same etc.

What you have now is copper wire all the way back to the exchange that's why the speeds are so low. A new connection would be copper from the house to the cabinet and fibre from there to the exchange. The maximum available speed on this system is 100meg. Distance from the cabinet affects it greatly. Do you know where the cabinet is? When I was on that system before I went to VM I was about 660meters from the cabinet and was getting a rock solid 65 down and 15 up and it worked perfectly. It would be easy enough to get changed over to the fttc system although an engineer's visit would be required. Once that's done everything would still look the same etc.

Great info.

Even if I got 30 meg download and 10 upload, it would be massive. ANYTHING but the cr@p I have now.

I’m not overly familiar with the area so don’t know where the cabinet is. Any way or map to check this out?

Would fibre to the cabinet be done by current supplier? Or is this more so a general infrastructure thing?

Why would an engineer need to visit the house if work is done at cabinet?

What do you mean by everything would still look the same?

Sorry for all the silly q’s

download speeds slightly up today
    this is when I can get speedtest to actually work - half the time it times out

this is via a wired cable connected directly to the modem about 2 ft away

https://ibb.co/TWd2vZg
    https://ibb.co/GTLxz4W

If it is Fibre to the cabinet and the distance is only a few hundred metres, the stats should be better than that.

I'm getting 58.7 Mb/s and 6.4 Mb/s up on an Eir 70Mb/s FTTC connection to Vodafone. It varies throughout the day.

Wired is the best way to test the speed. Also check if there are modems nearby using the same WiFi channels. Sometimes neighbours will be using the same WiFi channels and they will interfere. The modem should have a feature in the admin control panel where it is possible to do a scan of WiFi channels and set the WiFi channel.

Regards...jmcc

jmcc wrote: »
    If it is Fibre to the cabinet and the distance is only a few hundred metres, the stats should be better than that.

I'm getting 58.7 Mb/s and 6.4 Mb/s up on an Eir 70Mb/s FTTC connection to Vodafone. It varies throughout the day.

Wired is the best way to test the speed. Also check if there are modems nearby using the same WiFi channels. Sometimes neighbours will be using the same WiFi channels and they will interfere. The modem should have a feature in the admin control panel where it is possible to do a scan of WiFi channels and set the WiFi channel.

Regards...jmcc

Ok previous poster reckons it’s copper all the way.

Thanks for tips, but Somehow I reckon charging WiFi channels etc will not do much

Ok previous poster reckons it’s copper all the way.

Thanks for tips, but Somehow I reckon charging WiFi channels etc will not do much
    Possibly. The ping can be an indicator. The WiFi channel issue is more of a local thing due to neighbours using the same WiFi channel. The router/modem control panel would generally show the connection type and the maximum attainable speeds.

Regards...jmcc

Great info.

Even if I got 30 meg download and 10 upload, it would be massive. ANYTHING but the cr@p I have now.

I’m not overly familiar with the area so don’t know where the cabinet is. Any way or map to check this out?

Would fibre to the cabinet be done by current supplier? Or is this more so a general infrastructure thing?

Why would an engineer need to visit the house if work is done at cabinet?

What do you mean by everything would still look the same?

Sorry for all the silly q’s

Yes VF should be able to give you fttc. The engineer needs to come into the house and remove the faceplate to connect a small device to the copper wires that are going back to the cabinet. He then finds this pair in the cabinet and connects them to the fibre section, he goes back to the house removes the device and puts the faceplate back on the wall, plugs the router back in and you're sorted, after this is done everything looks exactly as it was before, no extra wires or anything like that, things like that upset older people, believe me I know what you mean. I can't help you with finding your cabinet, maybe others might be able to help with that.

Yes VF should be able to give you fttc. The engineer needs to come into the house and remove the faceplate to connect a small device to the copper wires that are going back to the cabinet. He then finds this pair in the cabinet and connects them to the fibre section, he goes back to the house removes the device and puts the faceplate back on the wall, plugs the router back in and you're sorted, after this is done everything looks exactly as it was before, no extra wires or anything like that, things like that upset older people, believe me I know what you mean. I can't help you with finding your cabinet, maybe others might be able to help with that.

Yeah, you know yourself, any change like this is massive for older people, the thoughts of potential disruption and the absolute blind panic of the landline number changed would be carnage ;)

Would doing this work mean a higher monthly bill etc due to the potential ‘upgrade’?

Yeah, you know yourself, any change like this is massive for older people, the thoughts of potential disruption and the absolute blind panic of the landline number changed would be carnage ;)

Would doing this work mean a higher monthly bill etc due to the potential ‘upgrade’?

What are they paying now? VF are doing good deals at the minute, BB and phone for €30 per month, one of the comparison sites are giving an extra fiver off for a few months if you sign up through them.

• Advertisement

What are they paying now? VF are doing good deals at the minute, BB and phone for €30 per month, one of the comparison sites are giving an extra fiver off for a few months if you sign up through them.

Last bill was 61 Euro !

Advertisement