Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Broadband in waterford city

24

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭CoBo55


    obi604 wrote: »
    Last bill was 61 Euro !

    Ah shur my late father was the same, he was with Eircom paying phone rental and for a messaging service he couldn't use as it kept asking for a password he couldn't remember:o I think it was around the 60 mark too.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭reni10


    Just grab a Gomo or 48 4G simcard and stick it into an old phone and turn the hotspot on.

    You could also grab a cheap 4G modem and use that instead.

    If they don't work better in your area you are only out about €20.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭obi604


    CoBo55 wrote: »
    Ah shur my late father was the same, he was with Eircom paying phone rental and for a messaging service he couldn't use as it kept asking for a password he couldn't remember:o I think it was around the 60 mark too.


    They are with NTL for tv, the box still has ntl written on it. Is virgin the new ntl?

    Which shows how long they gave the same television service too !! Must have the box for last 15 years I guess


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2


    obi604 wrote: »
    They are with NTL for tv, the box still has ntl written on it. Is virgin the new ntl?

    Which shows how long they gave the same television service too !! Must have the box for last 15 years I guess

    Virgin is the new NTL. The good news is the cabling is there so they have the option of switching to Virgin for broadband.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭obi604


    Virgin is the new NTL. The good news is the cabling is there so they have the option of switching to Virgin for broadband.


    That could be an option so.
    I know I asked this before kinda

    If I did switch to Virgin, would they do their due diligence on the install scenario and investigate the fibre to the cabinet?


  • Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76


    obi604 wrote: »
    That could be an option so.
    I know I asked this before kinda

    If I did switch to Virgin, would they do their due diligence on the install scenario and investigate the fibre to the cabinet?

    Stick their eircode in here and it will tell you which packages are available to the address


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭obi604


    Aquos76 wrote: »
    Stick their eircode in here and it will tell you which packages are available to the address



    So looks good. Attached.

    But still though, does this mean their technician will do their due diligence and make sure that fibre to the cabinet is actually done.


  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76


    obi604 wrote: »
    So looks good. Attached.

    But still though, does this mean their technician will do their due diligence and make sure that fibre to the cabinet is actually done.

    Generally they just send out the equipment and its a self install then, however if there hasnt been any new equipment installed at the address in a few years, then you might be better to request an engineer call and do the install. There wouldn't be any additional charge for this service.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭obi604


    Aquos76 wrote: »
    Generally they just send out the equipment and its a self install then, however if there hasnt been any new equipment installed at the address in a few years, then you might be better to request an engineer call and do the install. There wouldn't be any additional charge for this service.

    Yeah, see this is what I don’t want. Self install, brand new modem etc...........but still the crux of the matter would still be there - the same copper line going to the house regardless.


  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76


    obi604 wrote: »
    Yeah, see this is what I don’t want. Self install, brand new modem etc...........but still the crux of the matter would still be there - the same copper line going to the house regardless.

    Virgin don’t use the phone line, they use their own coax, the same feed that services the TV.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭obi604


    Aquos76 wrote: »
    Virgin don’t use the phone line, they use their own coax, the same feed that services the TV.


    Ah ok. So there should be a definite improvement then.

    So in practical terms, the modem would need to be placed where the tv cable comes in?

    And even more practical, could they keep the same landline phone number that they have had for the last 40 years?


  • Registered Users Posts: 28,595 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78


    obi604 wrote:
    So in practical terms, the modem would need to be placed where the tv cable comes in?

    Yea the modem would generally be next to the tv equipment
    obi604 wrote:
    And even more practical, could they keep the same landline phone number that they have had for the last 40 years?

    If they convert everything over to virgin, they can port their number, done that myself, handy process


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭obi604


    Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Yea the modem would generally be next to the tv equipment



    If they convert everything over to virgin, they can port their number, done that myself, handy process


    Thanks, yet again.

    So I now understand the current situation. Copper all the way to the exchange........and there could be the potential of an upgrade and have fibre from exchange to cabinet and still have copper from cabinet to the house.

    Now with Virgin and coax, what route is this taking, still to cabinet and exchange or does it follow a different path due to coax etc?


  • Registered Users Posts: 28,595 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78


    obi604 wrote:
    Now with Virgin and coax, what route is this taking, still to cabinet and exchange or does it follow a different path due to coax etc?

    Fibre backbone, baring in mind, virgin use their own network compared to the other isp's, it's how they got the jump on most, but installing a largely fibre backbone yonks ago. Telcos are on the back foot catching up, but they're slowly getting there. It's coax then from this backbone into the home, apparently it's still capable of extremely high speeds, 10gb, so they're well setup for the foreseeable future


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭obi604


    Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Fibre backbone, baring in mind, virgin use their own network compared to the other isp's, it's how they got the jump on most, but installing a largely fibre backbone yonks ago. Telcos are on the back foot catching up, but they're slowly getting there. It's coax then from this backbone into the home, apparently it's still capable of extremely high speeds, 10gb, so they're well setup for the foreseeable future


    Right. So if we went with virgin. No upgrade/exchange work needed at all then


  • Registered Users Posts: 28,595 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78


    obi604 wrote:
    Right. So if we went with virgin. No upgrade/exchange work needed at all then

    Theoretical no, but this is the world of tech, sh1t breaks and tech advances extremely quickly, but I'd say virgin are fine for the foreseeable


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭obi604


    Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Theoretical no, but this is the world of tech, sh1t breaks and tech advances extremely quickly, but I'd say virgin are fine for the foreseeable


    Another pedantic q.

    So with Virgin, the modem would need to be placed near the tv.

    What does this mean for the phone line from a practical post of view? (Again in the idea of least change, phone has been in this place for last 40 years and hasn’t moved an inch etc etc ;))

    At this time they have the RJ11 phone faceplate box in the hall and this is where the phone is connected to.
    Would a fresh phone line need to be run from the Virgin modem to here to replicate the setup now?


  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76


    The phone would now be placed beside the modem and plugged directly into the back of it. The old phone line will no longer be used


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭obi604


    Aquos76 wrote: »
    The phone would now be placed beside the modem and plugged directly into the back of it. The old phone line will no longer be used


    That’s gonna cause carnage ;)


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭CoBo55


    Stick with trying to upgrade what you have now it's not worth the hassle. Leave the TV alone. Try creating a new order through the VF website, as you've found out there's absolutely no point in ringing them.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭obi604


    CoBo55 wrote: »
    Stick with trying to upgrade what you have now it's not worth the hassle. Leave the TV alone. Try creating a new order through the VF website, as you've found out there's absolutely no point in ringing them.


    True. May be too much hassle.
    Yeah, the Egyptian lad in Vodafone was not much help to me.

    To create a new order via the website, do I need to create a login etc based on the in law as details


  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76


    obi604 wrote: »
    That’s gonna cause carnage ;)

    How so? You could introduce a cordless telephone, or I could come out afterwards and run a phone cable from the back of the modem to the phone point in the hall, FOC of course, if that was another option.


  • Registered Users Posts: 28,595 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78


    Aquos76 wrote: »
    How so? You could introduce a cordless telephone, or I could come out afterwards and run a phone cable from the back of the modem to the phone point in the hall, FOC of course, if that was another option.

    ah things arent exactly straightforward with older folks, any sort of change results in an almost autistic like meltdown, it sometimes really isnt worth it, its actually based in the exact thing that causes autistic meltdowns, i.e. anxiety


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭obi604


    Aquos76 wrote: »
    How so? You could introduce a cordless telephone, or I could come out afterwards and run a phone cable from the back of the modem to the phone point in the hall, FOC of course, if that was another option.


    THANKS



    true but again, they just hate any change, me personally, could not give a damn, but old people and change does not work, especially when im dealing with in laws:)


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭CoBo55


    obi604 wrote: »
    True. May be too much hassle.
    Yeah, the Egyptian lad in Vodafone was not much help to me.

    To create a new order via the website, do I need to create a login etc based on the in law as details

    Tricky one. Ideally it would be best to create a new one from scratch maybe in the mother's name, assuming by tradition it's currently in the father's name. Will they give you bank details? What I did with my father was started from scratch using a new email I created for him and his bank details it worked perfectly (my mother is long gone).


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭obi604


    CoBo55 wrote: »
    Tricky one. Ideally it would be best to create a new one from scratch maybe in the mother's name, assuming by tradition it's currently in the father's name. Will they give you bank details? What I did with my father was started from scratch using a new email I created for him and his bank details it worked perfectly (my mother is long gone).


    Yeah. Could be tricky right.
    Yeah, no bother with bank details etc.


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭CoBo55


    obi604 wrote: »
    Yeah. Could be tricky right.
    Yeah, no bother with bank details etc.

    I'd do a new order with VF.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭obi604


    CoBo55 wrote: »
    I'd do a new order with VF.



    Yeah. Bloody thing is the current bill is in both their name. e.g. Johnny and Mary Murphy, typical ;)


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2


    CoBo55 wrote: »
    I'd do a new order with VF.

    Don't do this. You'll end up paying VF on the double and spend years sorting it out.

    Either contact VF to sort out the current issues or change provider.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭CoBo55


    Don't do this. You'll end up paying VF on the double and spend years sorting it out.

    Either contact VF to sort out the current issues or change provider.

    Oh, good point that. Could be a rat's nest alright.
    Maybe move to another provider?
    Actually I just checked through my father's papers I moved him from eircom to sky BB.


Advertisement