Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your favourite quiz question?

Options

Comments

What ocean is does the western end of the Panama canal exit into?

The Atlantic.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,274 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The Atlantic.

Carribbean or Gulf of Mexico if that is an Ocean

Slava Ukrainii

Largest tyre manufacturer in the world.

What ocean is does the western end of the Panama canal exit into?

Pacific.... If it's the Atlantic, like a previous poster said, then it has me bamboozled..

Pacific seems more likely than Atlantic anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,311 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Is that an April Fool's? Didn't know Panorama went as far back as the fifties. I'll guess 'sap' as the answer.. As in, anyone who answers is one :D

Carribbean or Gulf of Mexico if that is an Ocean

It's the Caribbean Sea and Google says it's part of the Atlantic Ocean.

• Advertisement

Pacific.... If it's the Atlantic, like a previous poster said, then it has me bamboozled..

Pacific seems more likely than Atlantic anyway.

Panama is a horizontal country. The canal runs from like 11 to 5 down it. The Atlantic is to the north and the Pacific to the south.

(Edit: I knew the answer to the question initially as a piece of trivia but I've looked it up since to check the Sea.)

Panama is a horizontal country. The canal runs from like 11 to 5 down it.

(Edit: I knew the answer to the question initially as a piece of trivia but I've looked it up since to check the Sea.)

Am still confused... 11 o'c (the western side) would mean there's a stretch of land to the East between it and the Atlantic? :confused: I know I must be wrong, but tis a headscratcher :D

On further consideration, it is an Isthmus, so perhaps both west and east would exit into it perhaps.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,824 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

given the first part of the question i would say Jack Yeats who got a silver for painting. I would say though he wasn't the first Irish person to win a medal at the olympics, just the first to win one for ireland.
    correct on the first count; i don't know on the second one, whether anyone irish had won a medal before him.

Am still confused... 11 o'c (the western side) would mean there's a stretch of land to the East between it and the Atlantic? :confused: I know I must be wrong, but tis a headscratcher :D

On further consideration, it is an Isthmus, so perhaps both west and east would exit into it perhaps.

panama-map.jpg

If you look at the two ends on a map you will see that the end on the atlantic side is to the west of the end on the pacific side

Pm-map.png

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,824 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Am still confused...
    the western end of the canal is on the eastern side of the isthmus, and vice versa.

can't list it as a quiz question, because i don't know if it's actually true; but it'd go like:
    'what point in ireland can you see more counties from than any other point?'
    the answer i was given was loughcrew in meath - that you supposedly can see the twelve bens, wicklow mountains, mourne mountains, etc. on an exceptionally clear day.
    would love to know if it's true, or if not, what the actual answer is.

The US initially wanted to build the "Panama" canal through which country?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,612 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

the western end of the canal is on the eastern side of the isthmus, and vice versa.

Mm hmm, isthmus...yes, quite, quite. Sorry, what was the question again?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Thanks folks... Sense of direction is poor even at a local level - never mind 4,000 miles away :pac:

The US initially wanted to build the "Panama" canal through which country?

well that isn't a straightforward question. Originally they wanted to build the canal through columbia BUT panama at the time was part of columbia. Panama rebelled and the US supported them militarily and the US started work on the canal the year after.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭LarryGraham

If you look at the two ends on a map you will see that the end on the atlantic side is to the west of the end on the pacific side

Pm-map.png

The immature part of me always found it funny that it's Atlantic exit is beside Colon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Who was the first actor to play Bond? (hint: it isn't Connery)

Bob Holness

• Registered Users Posts: 33,241 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

KevRossi wrote: »
    John Landy? He came very close to it.

Sandyford and Cherrywood as well?
    KevRossi wrote: »
    John Landy? He came very close to it.

Name the five luas stops wit ha colour in them.

Sandyford and Cherrywood as well?

Was thinking that. but those are only colours if you're a home decorator choosign paint!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

On this day 64 years ago, the BBC showed a Panorama documentary of the harvesting of which culinary staple from trees in Switzerland?

Spaghetti/Pasta

• Advertisement

Who is the only man to have captained England in a full competitive international, while playing his club football for Scunthorpe??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Fandymo wrote: »
    Who is the only man to have captained England in a full competitive international, while playing his club football for Scunthorpe??

Beefy Botham in cricket.

name a player that has played in all 4 of the top divisions in England and the conference, and who also played in the Champions League and the EUFA Cup.

well that isn't a straightforward question. Originally they wanted to build the canal through columbia BUT panama at the time was part of columbia. Panama rebelled and the US supported them militarily and the US started work on the canal the year after.

Fair enough. I thought it was just Nicaragua. Think the History Guy on Youtube was talking about it.

name a player that has played in all 4 of the top divisions in England and the conference, and who also played in the Champions League and the EUFA Cup.

Jamie Vardy?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

John Paul II. What was his name before he became Pope?

Jim ?

Fandymo wrote: »
    Jamie Vardy?

Nope. dont think he played League One or League Two. Went straight from the conference to the Championship.

Fair enough. I thought it was just Nicaragua. Think the History Guy on Youtube was talking about it.

Actually it seems you are right. There was a competing project at the time to build a canal through nicaragua but the americans went with Panama because the french had already started building a canal there and were willing to sell after it went bankrupt.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,438 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

think thats our very own steve finnan

• Advertisement

Translated from German to English, what time is halb elf

Advertisement