Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,119 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Axwell wrote: »
    ... has a solid ground game

I'm interested to see how his BJJ holds up to UFC tier.
    It's one thing to be subbing cans on local cards in liverpool, different story at the top level.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,846 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

They should let Julian Erosa have first crack of him after the was he was absolutely robbed by that gangster Boylan in CW.

I never thought I'd see this day tbh

I'd like to see Erosa get that first crack too given that result is possibly top 5 worst calls in mma alongside bisping and hamill

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Just looking up Erosas record and it is nearly comical how many times he has been signed and released by the UFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭Homelander

Love the UFC Europe Twitter. "UFC? Completed it, mate!"

Every single post about Paddy is about 30% Jay memes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Till out with a broken collar bone, Holland offered the fight and accepted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

ASOT wrote: »
    Till out with a broken collar bone, Holland offered the fight and accepted.

Terrible few years for Till.

Not sure what to make of Holland, fair play to him for having the balls to step up , but Vettori is on another level to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭PatrickDoherty

Good news really, Till is brutal to watch bit of first round action and then its feints and same 1-2 attempt for 4 rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Nate must be getting serious money for this, low profile opponent who he has got **** all of a chance against.

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/1377093236745854983

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭robwen

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Nate must be getting serious money for this, low profile opponent who he has got **** all of a chance against.

Is that same card as the lightweight title fight or what's the co-main?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,562 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

robwen wrote: »
    Is that same card as the lightweight title fight or what's the co-main?

Yep, it's on the Oliveira-Chandler card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,226 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Wtf is this a 5 rounder for?

I don't even agree with main event non title fights being 5 rounds. Now they're arbitrarily deciding that a co-main is going to be 5 rounds too?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

DrPhilG wrote: »

I don't even agree with main event non title fights being 5 rounds. Now they're arbitrarily deciding that a co-main is going to be 5 rounds too?

maxium ROI on a diaz in a cage.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,548 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Charlie Olives or Chandler to pull out with Covid, Nate gets the shot and becomes champ, put money on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Charlie Olives or Chandler to pull out with Covid, Nate gets the shot and becomes champ, put money on it!

Masvidal beats Usman , Diaz vs Masvidal in July to unify all 3 belts in a TLC match with GSP as a special guest ref.

nice handy fight for Leon, hope he's getting well paid.

Never saw this one coming

fair play to Holland for stepping up but I'm not sure I want to see some of the
    same from him after his last performance but at least vettori should
    at least stand with him

could go 0/5 this year

• Registered Users Posts: 24,562 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Vettori's fight night weight is about 210. Holland said before he walks around in the mid-190s.

I don't see it going well for Holland.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,719 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Anybody disagree that Edwards and Wonderboy was the fight to make with the winner getting a title shot?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,592 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Fighters baffle me ,

Diaz sits out for nearly 2 years and then takes a fight against someone who will just try to hold him against the cage and then lie on top of him ,

No idea why he'd take the fight,

• Registered Users Posts: 20,592 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

eagle eye wrote: »
    Anybody disagree that Edwards and Wonderboy was the fight to make with the winner getting a title shot?

Id love to see Usman v Wonder boy

its the one style he hasn't fought

• Advertisement

Id love to see Usman v Wonder boy

its the one style he hasn't fought

Wonderboy needs to be more vocal and start calling out fighters

I'd say nobody wants to fight him in fairness

eagle eye wrote: »

should be the fight that was made

Diaz fight is a bs match up but a safe one for Leon.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I'd love to see Wonderboy go full heel and just generate some pull for himself.

Look at Colby. Nobody wanted to see him fight. He talked himself from almost being cut to being given chances he wouldn't have gotten without his schtick! And those chances allowed him to fight his way to title contention.

Even if Wonderboy tried the Cejudo thing and tried being cheesy.

Anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭xtal191

That'll be extremely one sided, stupid fight imo

so jones has reportedly turned down 8-10million

He says that's way too low for a fight of this magnitude so I'm guessing it'll
    take close to 20 million to get him in

Do you think this fight will generate the same amount of ppv's as a conor fight?

Do you think this fight will actually happen now?

I've a feeling ufc won't play ball and say fcuk it and give it to Lewis but I think they should give bones what he wants if the projected ppv's are similiar to what conors are.

I've no idea tbh but I'm thinking it ought to hit the million surely....francis is popular...Jones not so much.

seems outside of a conor bout recently that only usman masvidal went over the million and last one before that was nunes rousey in 2016
    https://www.sportbible.com/ufc/mma-news-the-16-biggest-pay-per-view-buys-in-ufc-history-20200326

• Registered Users Posts: 29,548 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I think the next season of The Ultimate Fighter was supposed to be starting in next couple of weeks but haven't heard anything. Any rumblings?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

mailburner wrote: »
    so jones has reportedly turned down 8-10million

He says that's way too low for a fight of this magnitude so I'm guessing it'll
    take close to 20 million to get him in

Do you think this fight will generate the same amount of ppv's as a conor fight?

Do you think this fight will actually happen now?

I've a feeling ufc won't play ball and say fcuk it and give it to Lewis but I think they should give bones what he wants if the projected ppv's are similiar to what conors are.

I've no idea tbh but I'm thinking it ought to hit the million surely....francis is popular...Jones not so much.

seems outside of a conor bout recently that only usman masvidal went over the million and last one before that was nunes rousey in 2016
    https://www.sportbible.com/ufc/mma-news-the-16-biggest-pay-per-view-buys-in-ufc-history-20200326

I actually think that this could be marketed as as big a fight outside of Conor PPVs. Francis's story, his style, how he looks, how scary he is........ V the unbeaten LHW GOAT and arguably the GOAT of the whole sport (hold the picos).......

America love their HW boxers and Francis has a touch of the Tysons about him, in that he can put anyone away.

This could be huge, not just in MMA circles

• Registered Users Posts: 17,989 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Cage legacy postponed this Saturday due to restrictions. Promoter kept in constant contact with the authorities and the superintendent turns around 3 days out it can't go ahead. Some bull****, gutted for the fighters was looking forward to this for ages.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,637 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I actually think that this could be marketed as as big a fight outside of Conor PPVs. Francis's story, his style, how he looks, how scary he is........ V the unbeaten LHW GOAT and arguably the GOAT of the whole sport (hold the picos).......

America love their HW boxers and Francis has a touch of the Tysons about him, in that he can put anyone away.

This could be huge, not just in MMA circles

They need to market it as the dui'ing, pregnant woman hit and running, waitress molesting, eye poking, etc. etc. junkie cheat finally getting the beatdown we've been waiting for for years, at the hands of the child-worker turned HW champ :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

DrPhilG wrote: »

I think they should make all co-main events 5 rounds.

Would result in some more classic 5 round wars and it gives fighters a chance to go 5 rounds and get used to it before stepping up to a title fight.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement