Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Beersmith

eagle eye wrote: »
    Well if you have a vacant belt then it should be 1 Vs 2 fighting for it.
    If 1 or 2 can't fight then you put 3 in and so on.
    So it really should be Gaethje Vs Oliveira for the belt.

But the rankings are so flawed and just a bunch of journalists opinions. Gaethje just lost in a title fight and by total domination. I don't understand how you could still think he deserves another go.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,860 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Beersmith wrote:
    But the rankings are so flawed and just a bunch of journalists opinions. Gaethje just lost in a title fight and by total domination. I don't understand how you could still think he deserves another go.
    Khabib is gone, this isn't a case of the winner fights Khabib.
    Chandler has one UFC fight in his career.
    Gaethje has beaten higher ranked opponents including the no. 1 contender Tony Ferguson just before he fought Khabib. Oliveira is now no. 3 because he beat the same Tony Ferguson. Oliveira hasn't beaten any other highly ranked lightweight.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,161 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Well if you have a vacant belt then it should be 1 Vs 2 fighting for it.
    If 1 or 2 can't fight then you put 3 in and so on.
    So it really should be Gaethje Vs Oliveira for the belt.

That’s really not how matchmaking works.
    Gaethje just fought for the title. Very hard to justify another shot so soon. The other 3 are all coming off solid wins.

Mellor wrote:
    That’s really not how matchmaking works. Gaethje just fought for the title. Very hard to justify another shot so soon. The other 3 are all coming off solid wins.
    He has every right to another title fight when the man that beat him has retired. It's not like he's fighting the same guy again.
    He has the rankings and the wins, Oliveira beat Ferguson after him. Chandler has only one UFC fight. Neither deserve a shot ahead of Gaethje.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Beersmith

He has every right to another title fight when the man that beat him has retired. It's not like he's fighting the same guy again.
    He has the rankings and the wins, Oliveira beat Ferguson after him. Chandler has only one UFC fight. Neither deserve a shot ahead of Gaethje.

Well look there is no hard and fast rule to who deserves it. Obviously majority that have spoken disagree with you about Gaethje so it should now not be such a surprise to you that he was looked over. Rankings have never really been what determines a title contender. You are being ridiculous if you are suggesting that this has been the case in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Volkanovski v Ortega off. Due to "Covid protocols" apparently.

Will be rescheduled. Shame,I was buzzing for that one

If Khabib didn’t retire. His next match would be Oliveria, Dustin, or Chandler ahead of Gaethje.
    The fact a Oliveria’s win against Ferguson was more recent is exactly why he is ahead of Gaethje in the queue.

He shouldn’t get a do-over because Khabib retired.
    Comments he’s made suggest he was expecting to fight Chandler next. So even Gaethje didn’t expect the shot.
    Presumably Dustin v Oliveira was first choice, DP declined and Chandler put in there.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Volkanovski v Ortega off. Due to "Covid protocols" apparently.

Volk tested positive for COVID.
    Negative on arrival in US but emerged afterwards in UFC bubble.

Edit:
    Brad Riddle fight off ness called off earlier. He’s was in Volk’s corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭vafankillar

does the clocks going forward next week mean we'll be up till 7am or 5am watching ngannou vs stipe rather than he usual 6am?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,451 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

does the clocks going forward next week mean we'll be up till 7am or 5am watching ngannou vs stipe rather than he usual 6am?

It'll be the usual 6am because clocks will be back to match the usual US hours that we match 90% of the year.

PST - 8
    CST - 6
    EST - 5

etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

The Bash podcast is no more from next week. Pity, I like the two boys and they've built up a great rep over the years.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheBashMMA/status/1374064672983416844

• Registered Users Posts: 29,602 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Mieshas out of retirement and fighting Reneau in July.

ASOT wrote: »
    Mieshas out of retirement and fighting Reneau in July.

Wow.

Reneau will be 44 by July. And has lost her last 4.
    And Miesha Tate's last win was choking out Holly in 2016.
    So I guess this is setting Miesha up to stir up bantam weight division. Just checked, Miesha is still only 34 so if it goes to plan and she has the desire to fight again I guess she has a lot of time left.

Cali_girl wrote:
    Reneau will be 44 by July. And has lost her last 4. And Miesha Tate's last win was choking out Holly in 2016. So I guess this is setting Miesha up to stir up bantam weight division. Just checked, Miesha is still only 34 so if it goes to plan and she has the desire to fight again I guess she has a lot of time left.

Miesha had two kids while she was out. I'd imagine she's totally focused now on getting back in the title picture one more time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Dana confirmed DP was offered title fight but went for Conor again.

https://twitter.com/aaronbronsteter/status/1375158330814046211?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Dana confirmed DP was offered title fight but went for Conor again.

https://twitter.com/aaronbronsteter/status/1375158330814046211?s=20

Ew_LIw6WgAM8Yos?format=jpg&name=medium

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Mike Jackson has said on Instagram that Dean Barry has pulled out of his fight on May 1st

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Looks like we won't be seeing Dean Barry anytime soon in the UFC. Big backlog on work visas and he can't get one in time for the fight now

He hasn't been training much anyway. Acting as if he's already made it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Dean Barry Ufc is his instagram handle..... someone have a word

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Paddy Pimblett getting his UFC contract and debut. Looking forward to seeing how he gets on with the step up.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2021/03/former-cage-warriors-champion-paddy-pimblett-signs-with-ufc/amp

Axwell wrote: »
    Paddy Pimblett getting his UFC contract and debut. Looking forward to seeing how he gets on with the step up.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2021/03/former-cage-warriors-champion-paddy-pimblett-signs-with-ufc/amp

I don't think he will hack it myself, fair play though. The robbery of juicy J is the only thing that sticks out about his career so far for me, that and getting sick I'm the octagon actually. So nothing positive.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

He looked good in his last fight after a long layoff but yeah I'm not sure he’s gonna cut it either. Takes too many punches imo, but he's wirey and awkward to defend against, and has a solid ground game with decent stand up so he should manage to get a few fights under his belt and a few quid even if he doesnt climb the rankings and get a title shot down the line.

He looked good in his last fight after a long layoff but yeah I'm not sure he’s gonna cut it either. Takes too many punches imo, but he's wirey and awkward to defend against, and has a solid ground game with decent stand up so he should manage to get a few fights under his belt and a few quid even if he doesnt climb the rankings and get a title shot down the line.

I never seen it but will give it a watch. To be fair he seems like a character I just have a source taste in my mouth over cage warriors and Graham boylan specifically that it's hard to know how good alot of their fighters are these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,451 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Happy for Pimblett. Obviously far better than a lot of fighters in the UFC so it makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

They should let Julian Erosa have first crack of him after the was he was absolutely robbed by that gangster Boylan in CW.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Paddy the Baddy giving it the big one talking about becoming champ and bringing the UFC to Anfield. Not a hope in hell. Will be the exact same story as McKee, Jones etc.

What's the issue with Barry's paperwork? Does he have convictions or anything that would hold it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Paddy the Baddy giving out the big one taking about becoming champ and bringing the UFC to Anfield. Not a hope in hell. Will be the exact same story as McKee, Jones etc.

What's the issue with Barry's paperwork? Does he have convictions or anything that would hold it up?

Huge delays with getting visas approved apparently. Molly McCann has put him on touch with someone who apparently sorted her visa in two weeks when she was being officially told it would take 8 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭PatrickDoherty

Pmsl according to who?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement