Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

US2 wrote: »
    This isn't a covid thread fcuk off
    It was in relation to the event being in Florida and having a crowd, no need to be a ballbag...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Pipe down gimp

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

No need for the uncivil comment...

Tazzimus wrote: »
    It was in relation to the event being in Florida and having a crowd, no need to be a ballbag...

As above..

JJayoo wrote: »
    Pipe down gimp

You either - not long back from a week ban, it's a 2 week one this time.

Back on topic folks...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Dana finally acknowledges Khabib has retired so, and I doubt many expected this Oliveira vs Chandler for the belt at 262.

https://twitter.com/danawhite/status/1372754396673544193?s=19

https://twitter.com/bokamotoESPN/status/1372758669335535617?s=19

Okamoto also saying Sandhagen vs Dillashaw on May 8th.

https://twitter.com/bokamotoESPN/status/1372749675221057538?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Officer999

That can’t be right? Dustin has to be fighting for the title.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Officer999 wrote: »
    That can’t be right? Dustin has to be fighting for the title.

Either wanted too much money or conor fight already lined up

• Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭Homelander

It's because of McGregor, they want that insanely sell-able trilogy fight nailed down. I'm sure Dustin won't mind the titanic payday he'll be able to command.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,341 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Can’t wait for Khabib’s big return in May, that tweet from Dana just finally confirmed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

martyos121 wrote: »
    Can’t wait for Khabib’s big return in May,

He may well be back for one more. But zero chance it's in May.
    Fight Week/4th July would be be years big event I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

martyos121 wrote: »
    Can’t wait for Khabib’s big return in May, that tweet from Dana just finally confirmed it.

Ramadan ends mid-May. There is zero chance he fights May. August at the very earliest, if he was to fight again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

I doubt he will come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Beersmith wrote: »
    Either wanted too much money or conor fight already lined up

Rematch lineup for summer

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/1372763404545323009?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Gamb!t wrote: »
    I doubt he will come back.

Same. I think he slots into the role that his father played now. We won't see the end of him in the UFC entirely - he'll still be cornering Islam Machachev and his cousin and likely many many more.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

So Chandler vs Olivera for the belt then the winner defends against the winner of McGregor vs Poirier. Makes sense. Really reignites the division.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

Wonder where all this leaves Gaethje

• Registered Users Posts: 20,523 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Wonder where all this leaves Gaethje

Seems to be getting black balled for his absolute awful championship fight ,

• Registered Users Posts: 23,822 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

• Registered Users Posts: 12,008 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Holland is a born entertainer , yeah he can be cringey but would take that over so many who have absolutely zero charisma.

I do think Brunson is a level above all the dudes he beat last year and am concerned , but hope he wins, the sport needs stars.

So pleasantly surprised with do Bronx v Chandler. Delighted for Oliveira, so deserved and it will really add some new life to the division. Feels like a win for the sport and meritocracy instead of the box office for a change. It must also be inspiring and a bit of a relief for the athletes just outside the top tier - the older established brigade being rotated out.

I would guess Poirier opted for the $$$ vs McGregor instead of the higher risk Oliveira fight. Given his age and mileage isn't surprising. Real loser seems to be Gaethje.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,822 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Cali_girl wrote: »

I would guess Poirier opted for the $$$ vs McGregor instead of the higher risk Oliveira fight. Given his age and mileage isn't surprising. Real loser seems to be Gaethje.

I was wondering about this as to whether poirier got first refusal

Did dp turn down a title fight with chandler and was oli offered that fight then as I'd find it hard to believe he'd turn down a fight v oli For the belt when he doesn't need the money fight

• Advertisement

mailburner wrote: »
    I was wondering about this as to whether poirier got first refusal

Did dp turn down a title fight with chandler and was oli offered that fight then as I'd find it hard to believe he'd turn down a fight v oli For the belt when he doesn't need the money fight

So curious about this too....

If Dustin didn't get first refusal for the belt then clearly it's UFC shady and obvious that Dana is looking to rejuvenate 155 post Khabib. Clear out the old crew and start to rebuild with the new.

If he was offered it, or if he had *just* verbally accepted v McGregor 3 (and apparently that's still not a signed done deal) then it all implies he's grown cynical or a bit tired of the shenanigans and is on the way out. Or that Dana/UFC manipulated him into accepting the McGregor fight under assumption that the belt was not up for grabs as it was Khabib's for now. Not sure which I hope happened.... mostly that Dustin managed to look after himself on his own terms after a long hard 12+ years of hard training and fighting. Who was it that said get in, get rich get out? :pac:

mailburner wrote: »

He doesn't need the McGregor fight, but it would be very hard to turn down it down when you consider the payday which would dwarf fighting the other 2.

Maybe he is thinking beat McGregor before someone else does and then fight whoever has the belt later in the year?

Wouldn't be a bad year, 2 monster paydays v Conor and a very winnable title fight to close the year.

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Maybe he is thinking beat McGregor before someone else does and then fight whoever has the belt later in the year?

Wouldn't be a bad year, 2 monster paydays v Conor and a very winnable title fight to close the year.

Right. Completely - he'd be mad to turn it down. And odds gotta be on him to beat McGregor.
    But not sure I would bet on Poirier as a sure thing v either Oliveira or Chandler... And a loss to either would potentially mean he's done as a high earner. Is one more v Conor worth more than the potential risk of hard fights v the rest? That said he's only 32, and in fairness - as mature and realistic a fighter as there is. It's intriguing... I've no answers, but hope and assume he's erring on the safest path.
    I love the way 155 is going finally. So interesting and so many real matchups.

Right. Completely - he'd be mad to turn it down. And odds gotta be on him to beat McGregor.
    Is one more v Conor worth more than the potential risk of hard fights v the rest?

Probably is tbh when you consider the drawing power of Conor.

Dustin probably knows if Conor was to fight someone else and lose then any third fight loses some appeal, may as well beat him now and see what happens.

He's had a tough few years and even f he were to lose to Chandler etc , ah well he has got 2 massive pay days for Conor so could just ride off into the sunset.

Its a good problem for him.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Beersmith

So pleasantly surprised with do Bronx v Chandler. Delighted for Oliveira, so deserved and it will really add some new life to the division. Feels like a win for the sport and meritocracy instead of the box office for a change. It must also be inspiring and a bit of a relief for the athletes just outside the top tier - the older established brigade being rotated out.

I don't know how gaethje could have any complaints. He would need another 2 win to deserve any title shot. He just lost really badly. The others around him have wins or are CM.

The title picture is clearly Poirer, Oliveira, Chandler.
    Gaethje has no complaint of being excluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭Homelander

I would have preferred Porier v Oliveria obviously.

Chandler is good but I'd have much preferred him versus Justin, winner fighting victor of Porier v Oliveira.

But who could blame Dustin for wanting the mega pay day with McGregor? He'll earn more than Oliveria and Chandler combined twice over.

Also I think Justin gets a bit over-rated. Lost badly to Khabib, much worse than Porier or McGregor did. His win streak is comprised of Fergusson past his best, Cerrone, Barboza and James Vick.

Poriers record the last few years is much more impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,517 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Mellor wrote:
    The title picture is clearly Poirer, Oliveira, Chandler. Gaethje has no complaint of being excluded.

Poirier and Gaethje are ranked first and second in the division.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Poirier and Gaethje are ranked first and second in the division.
    I don’t see how that affects anything I said.

Each of their last fights is the entire picture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,517 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Mellor wrote:
    I don’t see how that affects anything I said.
    Each of their last fights is the entire picture.
    Well if you have a vacant belt then it should be 1 Vs 2 fighting for it.
    If 1 or 2 can't fight then you put 3 in and so on.
    So it really should be Gaethje Vs Oliveira for the belt.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement