Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whyte v Povetkin II Fight Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭normanoffside

I thought it might be over early but I thought AP would have showed more. He's done now.

He was much the same the last fight until he landed that KO punch. Anyway I still think Whyte is a useless lump.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Whyte vs Wilder would be a very good fight
    Favour Wilder but Whyte is a good fighter. Good jab.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Jesus my opening post did not age well. Povetkin clearly absolutely washed to bits and has no business being in that ring. Legs like David Haye when he fought Bellew. I don't even see any improvements in Whyte there at all tbh just fighting a washed fighter.

You have to hand it Povetkin all the same, he could have just retired after the win and took his football away with him, but came back for a fight that he was most likely to lose. If ever a man deserved to have the Russian national anthem played while being saluted, it's him.

Well done to Dillian, he must have been under some amount of pressure to win this. That must be a huge mental burden to carry in the weeks before the fight. Now just give him his damned title shot. You might not like that he doesn't look like AJ, or that he doesn't talk like Fury, but he deserves his go.

He doesn't deserve a title shot. He's useless

MD1990 wrote: »
    Whyte vs Wilder would be a very good fight
    Favour Wilder but Whyte is a good fighter. Good jab.

Wilder would absolutely smash him imo. Anyone hittable still gets sent into next week by Wilder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,289 ✭✭✭megadodge

Morrison J wrote: »
    Wilder would absolutely smash him imo. Anyone hittable still gets sent into next week by Wilder.

I'm not convinced about that.
    I think it's a 50/50 fight and whoever lands clean first is likely to win. And that's assuming Wilder's extremely fragile psyche has recovered...... which is a rather large assumption. He might never fight again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭robwen

Wilder ko's Whyte

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Whyte can actually box which is more than can be said for Wilder so he has that in his favor, but is he good enough to out box him over 12 rounds and not get hit?

Because if he does get clipped then it's all over bar the shouting.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭PunkIPA

You have to hand it Povetkin all the same, he could have just retired after the win and took his football away with him, but came back for a fight that he was most likely to lose. If ever a man deserved to have the Russian national anthem played while being saluted, it's him.

Well done to Dillian, he must have been under some amount of pressure to win this. That must be a huge mental burden to carry in the weeks before the fight. Now just give him his damned title shot. You might not like that he doesn't look like AJ, or that he doesn't talk like Fury, but he deserves his go.

100% agree with this. Povetkin is the wrong side of 40 and was always on the small side for a HW at the top level. He had no answer for Whyte's size and power.

Whyte was all over him in the first bout too but got struck by lightning. He came out tonight looking to do damage and was prepared to face down Povetkin to do it, even after being knocked out cold.

Whyte deserves a crack at the belt, on merit he is miles ahead of Usyk IMO.

Happy for him tonight, he looks delighted with the golden coin :D First black man to appear on any British currency apparently!

PunkIPA wrote: »
    100% agree with this. Povetkin is the wrong side of 40 and was always on the small side for a HW at the top level. He had no answer for Whyte's size and power.

Whyte was all over him in the first bout too but got struck by lightning. He came out tonight looking to do damage and was prepared to face down Povetkin to do it, even after being knocked out cold.

Whyte deserves a crack at the belt, on merit he is miles ahead of Usyk IMO.

Happy for him tonight, he looks delighted with the golden coin :D First black man to appear on any British currency apparently!

I don't think Whyte really hits very hard.

• Advertisement

I don't think Whyte really hits very hard.

I'd like to hear Derek Chisora's opinion :p

I'd like to hear Derek Chisora's opinion :p

It was the 11th and Chisora was fatigued. In the 1st fight he took everything Whyte threw and Delboy is no Ironman.
    Whyte's record shows he is no massive hitter. His rebranding as a puncher is similar to Tony Bellew who also wasn't a puncher despite his nickname.

Think Whyte v Wilder is a great fight. A real 50/50. Wilder certainly has the power to stop Whyte, and Whyte is there to be hit. I reckon the loss to Fury was very damaging mentally for him though, sometimes you can't quantify the effect a loss like that will have.

If Whyte comes forward and fights in the pocket he has the size and power to bully Wilder and neutralise the threat of that long right.

I think Wilder v Ruiz is a similar pick'em.

There's some absolutely great matchups to be made now at HW, and the good thing is the fringe guys are now going to be forced to fight each other to stake a claim for a title shot (not that Whyte is a ducker).

Delboy is no Ironman.

Delboy went 12 rounds with Vitali who has 41 stoppages from 45!

He's only been stopped by Whyte, Fury, and Haye. I think the man has a decent chin.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,617 ✭✭✭✭walshb

He's only been stopped by Whyte, Fury, and Haye. I think the man has a decent chin.

Average to good chin at best!

I'm sorry punk but Whyte is Shyte*, I've always said it and I won't change my mind on that.

* By Shyte I mean he is a modern day Frank Bruno and is never gonna beat an opponent of the calibre of Fury, AJ or Wilder.

I can’t see Wilder/Whyte as a pick em..

I’d go Wilder 75-25 here...

He gets to Whyte a bit easier and a bit quicker most times..

Fight lasts at most 2-3 rounds...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Ah lads. Povetkin was horrendous. When has Whyte looked good? Tonight against Povetkin and Browne. Both awful on the night. He’s very very ordinary. Wilder is ordinary enough too but I think he smashes Whyte.

Whyte is not a nice guy. He lifted the stool for Povetkin when it wasn’t that necessary but when he lost he couldn’t even applaud the man. For the ring walk he stood blocking Povetkin. Unmannerly get. Anyhow. He is worth a title fight tbf because some turkeys have got the shot but I can’t see him winning one.

Povetkin should have retired before Hunter, should’ve been pulled out of that fight. He needs to now.

is never gonna beat an opponent of the calibre of Fury, AJ or Wilder.

I agree about Fury. AJ is definitely the better boxer and the stronger man, but Whyte had him badly hurt in the first fight. Obviously they have both improved a lot since then, but I do get the impression there is a bit of genuine bad blood between them, and if it turns into a brawl AJ could be hurt. I still wouldn't fancy Whyte, but I wouldn't write him off totally.

Wilder's a horse of a different colour - his fundamentals are shocking and he looked mentally shattered after Fury II. The nonsense he's been spouting off since also wouldn't inspire confidence in his mental state! He's there to be bullied on the inside by anyone with size, power, and an engine.

Do you think Whyte at least deserves a shot ahed of the likes of Usyk and Parker?

Do you think Whyte at least deserves a shot ahed of the likes of Usyk and Parker?

Parker does not deserve a fight and neither does whyte. They are on the same level as their own fight shows.
    Usyk on the other hand does deserve a fight as he is unknown at heavy and we an argument can be made for him winning.

• Advertisement

Here’s a wine inspired thought. HW boxing hasn’t been made better by Usyk joining the ranks.

My head is wrecked listening to the idea that Whyte nearly beat aj. He wasn’t even close. He very slightly stunned him and threw all he had at him, hitting him on the arms. Aj was in no trouble imo

While I have no problem with Whyte getting a shot at a title holding Wilder or them fighting I dont see Whyte winning it. I think at some time Wilder can mill him with the big hit. That’s assuming Fury hasn’t broken him. There’s more than an element of a fool realising he’s a fool for the first time about that whole experience

Taking a look over the recordings and nursing the head... That hour going forward did no one any favours!

Interested to hear your opinions on Nathan Gorman. He was up against a can this fight of course but I think he’s very neat with quick hands. At only 24 I’d think if he would commit to camps and trim up a bit he could do a bit. They’ll keep him active and busy now so it’ll be good to see who he’s up against in his next couple of fights as he continues to rebuild. A hard night without any really brutal damage against Dubois could do him a lot of good. Dubois likely has a lot more doubt at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Taking a look over the recordings and nursing the head... That hour going forward did no one any favours!

Interested to hear your opinions on Nathan Gorman. He was up against a can this fight of course but I think he’s very neat with quick hands. At only 24 I’d think if he would commit to camps and trim up a bit he could do a bit. They’ll keep him active and busy now so it’ll be good to see who he’s up against in his next couple of fights as he continues to rebuild. A hard night without any really brutal damage against Dubois could do him a lot of good. Dubois likely has a lot more doubt at the moment.

Gorman is a good UK level boxer, has pretty fast hands for his size. Completely agree on him being capable of upsetting a few lads. Actually gave Dubois a good scrap at times.

Gorman is a good UK level boxer, has pretty fast hands for his size. Completely agree on him being capable of upsetting a few lads. Actually gave Dubois a good scrap at times.

I thought he froze and underperformed against Dubois. I think there’s more in him than that. He seems convinced that he needs to be above 19 stone and I don’t think that’s ever going to do him any favours

megadodge wrote: »
    I'm not convinced about that.
    I think it's a 50/50 fight and whoever lands clean first is likely to win. And that's assuming Wilder's extremely fragile psyche has recovered...... which is a rather large assumption. He might never fight again.

I think Wilder is getting seriously disrespected by most. He's always made stupid comments I don't necessarily see that as a fragile psyche. Lot of the best sports people are deluded. The most important thing for me is that he didn't show any quit vs Fury despite being on the receiving end from the bell against the best version of the best HW in the world. Levels above Whyte in my opinion. Like the Ortiz fights it'd just be a matter of time and I don't think Whyte is defensively responsible enough to last as long as Ortiz did tbh.

Morrison J wrote: »
    I think Wilder is getting seriously disrespected by most. He's always made stupid comments I don't necessarily see that as a fragile psyche. Lot of the best sports people are deluded. The most important thing for me is that he didn't show any quit vs Fury despite being on the receiving end from the bell against the best version of the best HW in the world. Levels above Whyte in my opinion. Like the Ortiz fights it'd just be a matter of time and I don't think Whyte is defensively responsible enough to last as long as Ortiz did tbh.

Dunno about that. It took Wilder what 9 rounds to get to Arthur Szpilka and I think the poor, hapless Gerald Washington was ahead on the cards too? Whyte I can’t stand but he would mince those lads. Whyte has shown that he can come back from bad setbacks twice now. He’d be aggressive and get after Wilder. Wilder had a big setback and his response has been only to sack the one good man he had in his corner and to record a bumbling idiot video. He’s not got back up on the horse at all. With Fury and AJ signing contracts he has the perfect get out to have a tune up himself but scarce a word as far as I know.

I’d like to see Wilder KO Whyte but I don’t think it’s an easy night’s work for him at all.

Dunno about that. It took Wilder what 9 rounds to get to Arthur Szpilka and I think the poor, hapless Gerald Washington was ahead on the cards too? Whyte I can’t stand but he would mince those lads. Whyte has shown that he can come back from bad setbacks twice now. He’d be aggressive and get after Wilder. Wilder had a big setback and his response has been only to sack the one good man he had in his corner and to record a bumbling idiot video. He’s not got back up on the horse at all. With Fury and AJ signing contracts he has the perfect get out to have a tune up himself but scarce a word as far as I know.

I’d like to see Wilder KO Whyte but I don’t think it’s an easy night’s work for him at all.
    Wilder minced both of those lads too in the end in fairness. He knocked Washington out in the 5th. Hardly a stick to beat him with! Wilder can always be outboxed but going 12 rounds with him without being tagged yourself is the issue. We all know the suss with him at this stage. Can Whyte box a disciplined 12 rounds? I'd be shocked tbh and he doesn't have the footwork to put on educated pressure like Fury did in that rematch. He'll be a sitting duck and will leave himself wide open coming in I think.

Wilder is doing his utmost to get a rematch with Fury. It's all being taken to the courts. Doesn't strike me as a guy who's lost any belief or fire. If he went for a tune up I'd be more worried about him I think as he'd basically be conceding that he doesn't belong at that level.

Whyte has been annihilated by every elite puncher he's faced. Not including last night given Povetkin could hardly stand straight on the ring walk nevermind in the ring itself. Going against Wilder will be no different at all. Obviously Wilder has loads of flaws and can be beat on any given night but I'd definitely have to make him a strong favourite.

But you could say that about Wilder’s career. It’s not easy until he knocks you out..

Whyte is getting knocked out I reckon. Anywhere from rd 1-12...

As soon as Wilder lands clean, Whyte is a goner..

Unless you think Whyte presents real issues as regards being able to avoid Wilder’s power, making it a challenge for Wilder?

I don’t think Whyte poses the same issues as say, Ortiz posed..

Wilder took quite a while to land the real power against Ortiz. I cannot see Whyte avoiding the power that long..

Could Whyte KO Wilder? Absolutely...he is a big man and has decent power. Wilder can be badly hurt...

Whyte for me lacks the mobility and innate defense and innate chin to make it any way far vs. Wilder

3 rds tops it lasts...

I think we’re all making the same point from different angles. Wilder should win it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Butson

That was one of the worst heavyweight fights on PPV in a long time.
    Pov had no interest. His body shape at the weight in! He literally had man boobs and a belly. He picked up his cheque after there was a rematch clause in the first fight - nothing more.

Whyte is beyond average. He is so slow. People saying his jab was good, Pov literally different move his head! Nice KO but any have decent fighter would have finished him like that.

He is just not at the top level. Agreed, him and Wilder is a very entertaining fight. But not a top quality fight, big difference.

Advertisement