Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Whyte v Povetkin II Fight Thread

• 27-03-2021 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭

Actually looking forward to this more than I thought I would. Have a sneaky feeling Povetkin might do it again. Whyte coming in much lighter so expecting him to try move more but don't think he has the jab or movement to stay at range for 12 rounds like Joshua did against Ruiz for example. Think Povetkin works the body well again and eventually gets to him. Might be wrong and Povetkin coming off covid might have aged a lot more in the last few months but we'll see. Just think Whyte has so many flaws and is always that bit too hittable and against a puncher like Povetkin he's always going to be playing with fire.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Senor Frog

Kingdom Vs Mckinson is on at the min ,good fight so far , interesting clash of styles

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I'd watch this if it wasn't ppv, some dose, I'll watch it tomorrow on sky. I'd imagine should just have enough this time but you can never rule povetkin out.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

While Povrtkin has the power to knock Whyte out again I think it's unlikely.
    His own punch resistance looks completely gone and even a conservative Whyte should manage to finish him this time.

Interesting clash of styles here alright, neither man likely to reach the level they think they will, but a decent domestic clash.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,579 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Hatton fight on yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Hatton fight just finished, only four rounds, do you want to know the score or will I put in spoiler tags?

• Advertisement

Hatton fight just finished, only four rounds, do you want to know the score or will I put in spoiler tags?

Yes. Score, please..

40-36 to Hatton, only caught the last two rounds. Guy he was fighting was old but durable. Interviews with Campbell, the uncle and the old man. All saying they saw "flashes of what he could do", but a lot of work to do.

What time am I calling round to yours with my "Body Snatcher" t-shirt for the main event?

Cheesman fight up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭squinn2912

They made the point on commentary that he looked more like Matthew Hatton than Ricky... I just thought “hard luck Campbell...” I agree. He was very rushed and nervous but that’s to be expected. Cheeseman & JJ Metcalf on now. Record of 21-0 at 32 and pretty unheard of is strange. They’re gushing about this fight so let’s see what happens.

On the main card I reckon Whyte will iron Povetkin out. How I’d love a repeat.

squinn2912 wrote: »
    On the main card I reckon Whyte will iron Povetkin out. How I’d love a repeat.

Should be a guaranteed barnstormer all the same. No AJ vs Ruiz II here, this will be two gunslingers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭megadodge

Really looking forward to Cheeseman and Metcalf. Expect a lot of punches to land here.

Should be a guaranteed barnstormer all the same. No AJ vs Ruiz II here, this will be two gunslingers.

I hope you’re right buddy. I agree with some of the guys on here. If Whyte tries to box this one he’s very open I think he’s as well really go for it.

Think Cheeseman is up two rounds here. Not that much in it. Metcalf looks more powerful but not making it count yet anyhow.

Wow. I thought the towel might come in there. Metcalf all over the place.

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Wow. I thought the towel might come in there. Metcalf all over the place.

I thought the ref should have stood in for an eight count at least.
    Incredible resilience shown from Metcalfe and he's still throwing.
    You do wonder how this "strong chin" comes back to haunt them in later life.

Excellent response from Metcalf def won that round holding centre of the ring. Fair play to him for that.

Very entertaining fight this. I’ve got it 4-3 at the moment. When Metcalf walks through the punches he looks very good, but he’s very open for the overhand shot.

Metcalf needs a big round now. Cheesman Won that round but he took some leather too. Metcalf looking very tired now.

That was a brilliant fight! Metcalf rolled the dice and stepped on the gas chasing a hurt Cheesman and left himself open, got caught and the tank was too empty to beat a very slow count. Sad in a way it didn’t go to the cards. I had it 6-5 I thought Metcalf was just about claiming the 11th.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Really enjoyable fight alright. Cheeseman has one god awful defence though, takes far too many shots to be any good at a higher level.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭megadodge

Just as expected, that was a very entertaining fight. Brutal finish.
    Cheeseman is always in good fights. So honest. So hittable.

• Advertisement

Give us a heads up when main fight in..

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭PunkIPA

Absolutely terrific scrap, that. Credit to Metcalf, showed a granite chin to weather those shots in the fourth. Cheeseman is tremendous value. Fair play to Eddie, the card has been good so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭PunkIPA

I fancy Whyte to try and blow Povetkin out early in the main event. He's been looking in great nick over the last few weeks. It's not really in his nature to fight off the back foot and if he's too cautious he's just inviting Povetkin to land another one of those peaches.

Wardley vs Molina on now, ring walks taking place now.

Molina did ok that round.

Wardley can move well but he’s very awkward. I think if Molina had more ambition and went after him a bit more he’d cause him plenty of problems.

Wardley not showing a lot of respect, this could end badly for him.

Wardley not showing a lot of respect, this could end badly for him.

It could but Molina doesn’t really look like he wants it enough. Bossing things and then turns his back the minute anything happens. Ive always felt if he’d ever got himself in decent shape he’d have a bit more to offer.

He’s a strong boy with a lot of attributes but that was a poor showing. Molina didn’t really want to know any time it got hard or busy. I begrudge him the title fights he got, not earned at all.

• Advertisement

"I thought he was hit on the back of the head, but at the end of the day it's a fight".
    So the rules don't count if it's the home fighter.

Nathan Gorman won his fight tonight as well by the look of Boxrec, he has won two since losing to Daniel Dubois.

Advertisement