Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

F1 2021 :Round 1 Bahrain

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭lolie

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Hamilton with no idea how to park in p2 in pit lane :D

Ha, should've asked Bottas to park it for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,860 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Happy Birthday DC.

Jaysis I remember well his pensive baby faced lego head stepping into the Williams after Imola 94 and taking on what was the hardest job in F1 at the time, which he did with honour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Did Ocon have issues to say he didn't make it out of Q1? I only tuned in from Q2 so commentators were talking about Vettel being caught out with the yellow flags but no mention of Ocon

Top Dog wrote: »
    Did Ocon have issues to say he didn't make it out of Q1? I only tuned in from Q2 so commentators were talking about Vettel being caught out with the yellow flags but no mention of Ocon

Yellow flag blamed for Ocon as well. Think he made a balls of S2 though, lost half a second.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,938 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Top Dog wrote: »

Yeah he got caught up in the same thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

best fun watching that also uhd f1 unreal i could just watch cars all day

I'm just hoping we get a good race from Max tomorrow and he's not let down by unreliability by Honda bringing the 2022 engine forward to this year.
    Also really good lap from Leclerc and great to see Alonso in the top 10 in his first quali back.
    Mclaren will be disappointed to be almost 1 second off pole.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,449 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I really like Karun on this. Very easy to listen to.

By the way, if you are still excited after that qualifying, the second sprint race (top 10 reverse grid from this morning) of F2 is on now

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭mamaz

Mad that Bottas at the start of Q3 was 33/1 at one stage to get pole. I backed him at 25/1 in Q1! The fact he's considered THAT far behind Max (was 4/6) and Lewis (evens) is insane to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

best fun watching that also uhd f1 unreal i could just watch cars all day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Just say the Mazepin clip.

Broke the gentlemen’s agreement apparently by overtaking on his out-lap before spinning off.

Looks like he just completely lost control. Where he sat the car was outrageous.

I imagine there will be some words with him. Not the biggest Jolyon Palmer fan but his line was “enemy number one on your debut”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭Joeface

Lots could happen tomorrow , Redbull continue where they left off last season one driver V 2 merc's . If they get a decent start it will make it very interesting as it appears the Redbull is very well setup this year.

Don't Really see Leclerc been in the mix fully , great lap from him for P4 and The Ferrari does look a alot better than last season . Leclerc does have almost it all as a driver but he is very hard on his tires always . Sainz did well also . Hard to predict where they will end up .

Not Bad from the Mclarens , Did not see them been behind the Alpha Tauri and a Ferrari . of these cars the Alpha Tauri does look the the most comfortable to drive , it just seems to work . Not the fastest but that good enough that Gasly could some how spring a Podium tomorrow .

Alpine got on better than I expect , Alonso was a surprise as he had been struggling a bit and Ocon had been smoother over the weekend . Cannot see the Car lasting in the points tomorrow but Decent run from him.

Stroll Proved something about the Aston anyways . It's top 10 car potential is there , its not great but its there and Stoll is not the best qualifier
    He always gets a great start , very few races he doesn't gain places but I am not sure he can hang on to points either.
    RedBull and AlphaTauri both look better , Perez and Tsunoda should move up .

Not Sure what will happen with the rest , Vettel can just go on Hard Tires and go long at least for him this year if he does catch up with his Team mate he wont be brought in with plenty of life left in the tires. Both Him , Perez , Alonso & Sainz need about 3 races to know if they are going in the right direction so far , It Sainz doing best of the moves .

I left out Riccardo as I never thought he would have any real issues with Mclaren and he hasn't

sorry long post :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Game on! Savage lap from Max and a serious car under him!

We may just have a season to watch ahead of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭eggy81

When Honda finish after this season will their engine tech be taken up by red bull or is it a completely new set up from next season on engine wise for red bull. Not followed f1 in few years but no better year to get back into it with so little else to do. They look to have genuine pace today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

eggy81 wrote: »
    When Honda finish after this season will their engine tech be taken up by red bull or is it a completely new set up from next season on engine wise for red bull. Not followed f1 in few years but no better year to get back into it with so little else to do. They look to have genuine pace today.

Red Bull are taking it over.

I really hope Honda have a good year this year, especially with a Japanese driver using one of their engines. Tsuonda is showing promise.

Would be nice for Honda to leave on a high, especially after a few very tough years.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,022 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Tzardine wrote: »

It’s a funny one because Honda will still build and run the engines. Honda decided they wanted out an didn’t want to keep
    Investing and designing new engines. Then they brought in the engine freeze because red bull needed it as they had no engine provider. So Honda brought around the situation they wanted anyway where nobody Ian developing the engines anymore - just building and selling them to the teams.

They had been spending hundreds of millions over the years to catch up once they realised how far behind they were. They’ll probably make money over the next few years with this arrangement. Ideal for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,900 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Tzardine wrote: »

I really hope Honda have a good year this year, especially with a Japanese driver using one of their engines. Tsuonda is showing promise.

Would be nice for Honda to leave on a high, especially after a few very tough years.

Not bad for a GP2 engine. Hah.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,701 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Delighted to see Max get pole. For a minute I thought it was just going to be Mercedes and Lewus again how boring. HooefkllyRed Bulk can keep the challenge up to Mercedes all season and make this season interesting. Very ad from Vettel. Stroll showed the car is good enough for Q3 and yet Vettel did not even get into Q2. Really hope he can improve over the year and get into Q3 otherwise it will be the end of him in F1. Alonso done ok but still not as good as I had hoped they would be doing.
    Pierre Gasly doing brilliant still and Yuki Tsunoda done good best of the rookies with Mazipan the worst. That Haas do looks horrible to drive. I wonder do they regret not keeping Magnussen now?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,289 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

It’s a funny one because Honda will still build and run the engines. Honda decided they wanted out an didn’t want to keep
    Investing and designing new engines. Then they brought in the engine freeze because red bull needed it as they had no engine provider. So Honda brought around the situation they wanted anyway where nobody Ian developing the engines anymore - just building and selling them to the teams.

They had been spending hundreds of millions over the years to catch up once they realised how far behind they were. They’ll probably make money over the next few years with this arrangement. Ideal for them.

I dont think its a situation of honda building and selling the engines.
    Redbull are investing bigtime in engine plant. Im sure they will take alot of honda staff but its certainly not a case of paying honda for engines for 2022

• Registered Users Posts: 20,022 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

mickdw wrote: »
    I dont think its a situation of honda building and selling the engines.
    Redbull are investing bigtime in engine plant. Im sure they will take alot of honda staff but its certainly not a case of paying honda for engines for 2022

I think they’re investing in the engine plant as a future plan to build engines. In the short term, Honda is essentially making the engines. I don’t think they are just handing over the specs and walking away, letting red bull get on with it.

That’s how I heard it anyway. I’m open to correction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Irishjg

I’m hoping for a great race tomorrow. It’s a shame Perez didn’t qualify close to the front of the grid. Max is on his own again against both Mercedes.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JoeExotic81

I actually did a fist pump when Max got the pole, please be a title race, I'd settled for a total runaway Max procession though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,692 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Hopefully it's a Max win today, I did expect Perez to qualify a lot higher up the grid but I'm sure he'll make up plenty of places during the race. Gasly looking quick, looking forward to the battle outside the top two. Looks like it will be a long season having to watch Mazepin

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Irishjg

PsychoPete wrote: »
    Looks like it will be a long season having to watch Mazepin

Yes, I’m expecting Mazepin to be the new Maldonado of the people. He he.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,121 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Reminder the races start this year on the hour and not at 10 past like the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I like the late afternoon start, I won't feel guilty about cracking a beer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭McFly85

It feels like we have one of the most fascinating races in ages coming up and the day is dragging!

Can’t wait to see the battle between Max & Lewis, but also be interested to how AlphaTauri, McLaren and Ferrari do over the course of an entire race. Also to see how Vettel gets on from P18! There’s interest across the grid today and I cannot wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,435 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Just realised German RTL doesn't have the live races any more, F1 went with Sky Deutschland instead, bugger!

Alun wrote: »
    Just realised German RTL doesn't have the live races any more, F1 went with Sky Deutschland instead, bugger!

Maybe you could try this if you know where to point the dish.
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058164131/3/#post116711543

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,121 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

So Vettel got grid penalties and penalty points for ignoring yellow flags yesterday. Starts at the back of the grid, doesn't get much worse then that on his AM debut.

Advertisement