Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster joinery

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭banoffe2

That's shocking! I had made my mind up to order doors and windows this year from MJ, I spoke to a few people who dealt with them and didn,t get any good feedback, mainly people were saying the quality isn't what it used to be since the company got bigger, also heard they make mistakes in sizes etc and hard to get them to come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

My understanding of them is that they are offering the best value, or the cheapest price but you get what you pay for.

Another friend who is currently building had to go with them because of other costs that had arisen during the build destroyed his budget, so he had to cut back on the windows and doors.

My understanding of them is that they are offering the best value, or the cheapest price but you get what you pay for.

Another friend who is currently building had to go with them because of other costs that had arisen during the build destroyed his budget, so he had to cut back on the windows and doors.

Cheapest not best value

Your buddy will regret that in time, windows are a big weak spot in a house, I'd advise him to scrap the money from somewhere and get quality

• Registered Users Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

keeffo2005 wrote: »
    Cheapest not best value

Your buddy will regret that in time, windows are a big weak spot in a house, I'd advise him to scrap the money from somewhere and get quality

He knows all about them. He has scraped the money together just to afford MJ!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭kerryjack

He knows all about them. He has scraped the money together just to afford MJ!!
    It's a bit of a lottery really I have MJ seconds in a shed and they are bomb proof and a lad down the road has them and they are ****e. I would say if he could be there himself the day they are being fitted with his level and a bit of knowledge what's involved in fitting them it might help. Unfortunately with MJ it's all about speed, in and out and down that road as fast as they can that's the environment they are working in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Can anyone recommend an alternative, for a few windows in Cork city centre? 2 large sash windows - specifically one 'normal' window and one 3-part bay window. The window seals are gone, so there's lots of condensation between the panes, the draught is ridiculous, and they've seized up so can't be opened or closed.

They'll probably cost a kidney and my first born child, but the last thing I'd want is to spend several thousand on windows and still end up with poor quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Iguarantee

who_me wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend an alternative, for a few windows in Cork city centre? 2 large sash windows - specifically one 'normal' window and one 3-part bay window. The window seals are gone, so there's lots of condensation between the panes, the draught is ridiculous, and they've seized up so can't be opened or closed.

They'll probably cost a kidney and my first born child, but the last thing I'd want is to spend several thousand on windows and still end up with poor quality.

I mentioned this before but I'd a great experience with Amberline.

http://www.amberline.ie

They're not cheap but the quality of the windows and the install speak for themselves.

Iguarantee wrote: »
    I mentioned this before but I'd a great experience with Amberline.

http://www.amberline.ie

They're not cheap but the quality of the windows and the install speak for themselves.

Will they do small jobs as well, i will be looking for a sliding door and side large window in the coming months, couldn't face mj again

who_me wrote: »

Amberline are developing a good reputation. Classic in Killumney. 20/20 are great but very expensive.

We went with a Kerry crowd who also service Cork - Weathermaster. They were brilliant.

a builder friend of mine says the MJ product is fine, but they employ sub contractors to fit them and they just fire them up, and that's where the problems all arise. It's all in the fitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Thanks for the recommendations! I checked Amberline's site and couldn't see them mentioning sash windows anywhere; but might have missed something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭Acosta

Anyone have experience of using Perfect Home Windows? They're based at Penrose Wharf.

Just wondering, i was looking at the surround on the external of the windows. They have used clear silicone at the sides and top but nothing on the bottom, is this intentional or just not done

• Registered Users Posts: 5,008 ✭✭✭mikeecho

I self built back in 2007/8 . I avoided muster joinery , as I heard of horror stories.

A few years after the boom, I heard nothing but good about them.

I suppose it all depends on how busy they are.

I ended up going with West in carrigaline for my windows, I avoided classic windows in ovens, cos the sales guy wouldn't get out of his chair to show me my options.

I walked out of many showrooms , all because of bad customer service.

Money talks, and money walks.

If you're looking for electric/ rolling garage doors.. check out Webb on the Bandon road.. some of the best customer service I've ever experienced.
    Top notch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 punchie

Anyone have experience with this company. I am having a nightmare getting them to come back out and their installation. False promises of their service engineer calling out, literally on promise 6

I too have had major problems with my front door I am thinking of getting on to Joe Duffy would ye support me if I managed to get through?

punchie wrote: »
    I too have had major problems with my front door I am thinking of getting on to Joe Duffy would ye support me if I managed to get through?

Somehow I say once you get the conversation going there would be an avalanche of complaints.

I am really annoyed with this crowd, triple glazed future proof malarkey and it feels like a window is open with the noise, front door is even worse, its actually brutal how bad it is. My old wooden door with single pane panels kept the noise out better, knowing mj its probably the thinnest panes.

My hope at this stage is to get amberline for the porch and see will they do something with the windows as a fixed. I cannot see myself getting anywhere with mj. An expensive 11k lesson that if it is too good to be true then it is

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭corks finest

Somehow I say once you get the conversation going there would be an avalanche of complaints.

I am really annoyed with this crowd, triple glazed future proof malarkey and it feels like a window is open with the noise, front door is even worse, its actually brutal how bad it is. My old wooden door with single pane panels kept the noise out better, knowing mj its probably the thinnest panes.

My hope at this stage is to get amberline for the porch and see will they do something with the windows as a fixed. I cannot see myself getting anywhere with mj. An expensive 11k lesson that if it is too good to be true then it is

Agree, I've had them back to me over the years and right now even with the fire blazing, I can feel draughts from the windows etc, shoddy shoddy shoddy work

Agree, I've had them back to me over the years and right now even with the fire blazing, I can feel draughts from the windows etc, shoddy shoddy shoddy work

I am hoping getting a porch done will cancel the front door noise. Regarding the windows, I am not sure if its leaks or the actual windows are crap, if its the lack of foam during install that would be the easier fix. Disaster of a company.

They are a disgrace. Many thanks I will definitely try and get through to the show

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

They are a disgrace. Many thanks I will definitely try and get through to the show

Update here if you do on the day please

As another poster said its a lot to do with some of the sub contractors that just lash it up, Ivecseen done too quality mJ and work locally but equally some awful low standard crap

• Advertisement

Anyone have experience with this company. I am having a nightmare getting them to come back out and their installation. False promises of their service engineer calling out, literally on promise 6[/quote

They have agreed a refund for my door they will take it away once I have it replaced and issue refund on the day

how did you manage that?

They had replaced the door 7 times but it was never right buckled once wasn’t fitting properly wind was howling through it scratches on three and last one started cracking. My Windows are perfect. I got my solicitor to write to them I had kept pictures of every door and it’s problem. Solicitor wrote last week and MJ replied to me this morning offering refund. So perhaps you should furnish them with a legal letter threatening court action. My first door from them was installed 18 months ago and had problems on day of installation that fitter pointed out to us.

I finally got these guys out after having to threaten them.

The guy rocks up, opens the door closes with a bit of force and does it again and looked at me. Told me its perfectly normal to close it hard, I was like no way is that normal and it will damage the frame in the future. Some buffers, tried telling its perfectly normal to have condensation on the inside of the window cos we breath out moisture, complete spoofer and the mad thing is he probably gets away with it most of the time.

Confirmed my thoughts that I will never touch this company again.

Finished up with fitters will be calling to lift the internal sil beading and check it. So obvious they haven't sealed it correctly. Would love to get an independent assessment of it and send them the report. Put a level to the door frame after trying to convince me it was square, turned out it wasn't and now it needs a reinforcing bar. Unbelievable, lesson learnt big time with these guys.

Anyone getting windows and doors, pay more, double if you can and never look back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭4Ad

I used them in 2010,biggest regret of the build. The doors are actually ok,the windows are useless, major heat loss and not much good at keeping out noise..
    As for the large sliding patio door, it looks good but the draught from it...

4Ad wrote: »
    I used them in 2010,biggest regret of the build. The doors are actually ok,the windows are useless, major heat loss and not much good at keeping out noise..
    As for the large sliding patio door, it looks good but the draught from it...

Agree ref windows especially, rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Iguarantee

I sound like a company spokesman here (which I'm not) but Amberline really were miles and miles ahead of anything else we looked at.

I lived in the city centre and had their triple glazed windows fitted throughout, you could open the window and hear traffic, close it and you just had silence. I'd buy them again in a heartbeat. As I said before though, they are not cheap.

Iguarantee wrote: »
    I sound like a company spokesman here (which I'm not) but Amberline really were miles and miles ahead of anything else we looked at.

I lived in the city centre and had their triple glazed windows fitted throughout, you could open the window and hear traffic, close it and you just had silence. I'd buy them again in a heartbeat. As I said before though, they are not cheap.

From your recommendation i will be getting a porch and front window in place of the garage door and will go with amberline. It will be very interesting comparing that room with the munster joinery rooms.

If its as good as you say i will change out the muck of munster joinery over the next 5 years and look at it as a very expensive lesson. As my nan used say the most expensive today is the cheapest in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Tec Diver

Yes our estate of 24 houses have had serious issues with the standard of workmanship on doors and windows, AFAIK each home has had windows and doors either replaced or fixed, ****e work, ps the houses are approximately 12 years old

Our estate went up in 2003, and we bought off the plans. Same experience as above. Incorrect hinges used in windows causing drafts. Cheap and badly fitted doors interior and exterior. We had to replace all our external doors the drafts were so bad. They were shocking to deal with and kept saying "its withing regulations"!

• Advertisement

Tec Diver wrote: »
    Our estate went up in 2003, and we bought off the plans. Same experience as above. Incorrect hinges used in windows causing drafts. Cheap and badly fitted doors interior and exterior. We had to replace all our external doors the drafts were so bad. They were shocking to deal with and kept saying "its withing regulations"!

From my personal experience only this year and reading everyone else's horror stories its a wonder they are not being investigated for not providing what they are marketing.

Advertisement