Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish family appeal mandatory quarantine..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Witchie wrote: »
    john4321 wrote: »
    Not trying to dismiss your frustration at all but dad is 74 so falls into the 4th category. We are limited by supply at the moment.

548420.JPG

Yet 4 of our neighbours under 75 got theirs today.

The whole sh*t show is due to bad organisation. I bet the same project manager was used as the one on the children's hospital.

I'm out I dont want to derail the thread any further.

Really hope your dad gets his first jab next week. And according to the plan everyone in that group should has the second one by the middle of May.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Just Saying

john4321 wrote: »
    Not trying to dismiss your frustration at all but dad is 74 so falls into the 4th category. We are limited by supply at the moment.

548420.JPG

The whole sh*t show is due to bad organisation. I bet the same project manager was used as the one on the children's hospital.

Should you not be happy that they have started the 70-74 year olds or is there a reason why he should be ahead of your neighbours?

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I believe this family arrived from Perth, Western Australia. Western Australia has had less than 1000 Covid cases. Their experiences of living with Covid would most likely be very different from that of the average Irish person over the past year. I think the mother has misjudged the sympathy people would have for their current situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,740 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Tell my dad who is 75 next week who hasn't been vaccinated yet because of incompetent planning and vaccine delays that all is going well. Tell me with my underlying health issues too.

As the nurse at my doc surgery said about the powers that be "they couldn't run a bath".

As for these whiney feckers in their hotel, I hope they get a grip on reality fast. Idiots

They don't vaccinate the entire group in a single day.
    You could have a situation where the first one jabbed in that group is the youngest and the last one being the oldest.

I think some states in Germany tried break the age groups down into single years, but it has turned out into a disaster. Same for trying to break down occupation with regard to HCW, just do them all as a group in any order as long as it's the fastest.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

It's not as simple as that. The vaccines are being distributed in batches and if a vaccination centre, such as a GP, has no-shows for the targetted groups or runs out of people in that group, then they can't send the rest back.

It's why there are incidents such as the Beacon hospital giving excess vaccines to schools. It's never going to be a military operation. There's no national database of people to vaccinate, and there can't be given the hoopla over the PSC as an example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭ForestFire

I saw the Photo of the saddest family in Ireland just there on twitter......

But wait until they actually get out and see what the weather is like in Ireland (The Kids that is, that grew up in AUS).

And they wait patently each day to see the sun, only for it to Appear and then disappear seconds after, teasing them about their days trampolining in the sun ......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,826 ✭✭✭appledrop

I believe this family arrived from Perth, Western Australia. Western Australia has had less than 1000 Covid cases. Their experiences of living with Covid would most likely be very different from that of the average Irish person over the past year. I think the mother has misjudged the sympathy people would have for their current situation.

I think you have probably hit the nail on the head here. They have no idea whatsoever what we have gone through here in Ireland for the past year and the level of restrictions.

Mind boggling that they didn't bother to actually look into what things where like before they moved and started complaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,826 ✭✭✭appledrop

ForestFire wrote: »
    I saw the Photo of the saddest family in Ireland just there on twitter......

But wait until they actually get out and see what the weather is like in Ireland (The Kids that is, that grew up in AUS).

And they wait patently each day to see the sun, only for it to Appear and then disappear seconds after, teasing them about their days trampolining in the sun ......

Yea and with the wind out there tonight their trampoline would be blown away. Hope she also told them no swimming pool in back yard in Ireland like they had in Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭brendanL

Having done the Australian quarantine myself I feel like this woman and her family are in for a bigger shock when they leave quarantine... It's a well published process and stating the kids are well used to being outside - while emigrating from sunny Perth to wet/windy Ireland is probably one of the most rediculous things I've heard since this all started... They could be attending school as normal right now in Perth - instead straight into lockdown once they get out - they won't even be able to visit the family I'm assuming they've relocated here to be near. Great idea! - I think they could only love Ireland after this fantastic start to it - the husband is strangely quiet in all this - is he responsible for the move and she's took her chance to have a good moan?

It's been well publicised in every country that did quarantine what the process is like, dragging children into it and immediatly complaining is a big red flag of their level of awareness, it's still a global pandemic, not a holiday experiance. I went into it with tonnes of lists of things I could do/organise and learn, calls scheduled with family and tonnes of books/activities planned out on 30 minute segments and I'd say I got about an 1/8 of it all done, it flys by when you keep yourself occupied and have a schedule - I mean half the country has been doing essentially this for a year.

I feel bad for those kids that they have to be locked up with their mam putting on this childish pout and bringing the mood down / taking these rediculously staged sad photos instead of someone working to keep them entertained and up beat to get through it with activities. Honestly reading the post it's like she regrets migrating back and quarantine is only going to be the first of many kick's in the balls unless it's something you really want. Why would anyone put their kids through this unless they were willing to be optimistic and push through. I went into it knowing I wanted what came after and felt it was a privelege to enter a country during a pandemic - I also didn't want to be the source of more infection to family and friends and liked the reassurance of "if I do this, I'm guilt free once I'm out and can do as I please".

She suggests at one point we were only in Dubai for 45mins which is such a small detail to focus on I did that swap of plane too - uh huh and then I was on a plane for 24 hours on top of peeps from literally all over the world from their connecting flights - for a healthcare worker to question quarantine is banana's - I'd be surprised if her new job see's it as a bad idea. I hope for her kids sake she realises how massive that rooms is if they just get organised and stop whinging.

It's reported almost daily here in Oz that cases detected in quarantine are still quite high - with miniscule outbreaks every now and then as a result - which means it's working - to be ignorant to this and expect to not have to do the same in Ireland is atrocious behaviour. They have directly benefitted from quarantine for the last year living a completely pre-covid style normal life like I am now - to give out about it - after enjoying it's benefits is straight up crazy selfish ****ty human being behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

Jesus, if the family tidied up and put their bags in ALL the space they are NOT using, she would have her exercise space. Wardrobes empty. Drawers empty. Take the crap off the tables and you could organise your lunch to be off the floor.

I’d hate to see the organisation or lack their off in the “forever” home!

Get on with it love, just do your ten days or whatever and buy the kids heavy jackets for when they get out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,949 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

^^^some fcuking arseholes on this thread, 5 people in those rooms for two weeks, after that journey, me bollcoks, and she came back to become a nurse here, fcuk that, I'd be back on a plane, over that treatment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    ^^^some fcuking arseholes on this thread, 5 people in those rooms for two weeks, after that journey, me bollcoks, and she came back to become a nurse here, fcuk that, I'd be back on a plane, over that treatment

You would yeah but then again you'd have to quarantine in a hotel room in Australia. Novak Djokovic tried that sh!t and got short shrift over there.

Shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

NSAman wrote: »
    Jesus, if the family tidied up and put their bags in ALL the space they are NOT using, she would have her exercise space. Wardrobes empty. Drawers empty. Take the crap off the tables and you could organise your lunch to be off the floor.

I’d hate to see the organisation or lack their off in the “forever” home!

Get on with it love, just do your ten days or whatever and buy the kids heavy jackets for when they get out!

Makes for more squalor for the pics, poor us, waaaa waaaa.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭awsah

appledrop wrote: »
    Exactly what do they expect? They choose to move their family half way across the world during a pandemic so boo hoo. Complaing about 3 beds between 5 of them in 2 rooms. Does she not normally sleep in same bed as her husband? That leaves 2 beds between 3 girls. Is she trying to say they have never been on family holiday when kids shared beds?What a load of nonsense.

Going on about her child's birthday, well guess what my child will be having his 2nd lockdown birthday soon thats 2 years in a row not seeing any of his friends, cousins, grandparents etc. I'm sure her child got to celebrate her birthday last year in Australia. The are in for a wake up call can't just do what they want in Ireland at the moment.

They are in a four star hotel, shame on Irish media for making it out like they are slumming it.

I got mad when she mentioned not being able to buy the cake for the birthday and that the child had specifically asked to be in Ireland or her birthday, yet they didn't come 2 weeks before the birthday so she was clearly planning on going to the shop if she was in quarantine at ger home, and perhaps have people over for dinner.

Also "they can't eat together" but they are stuck in the rooms together 24/7 surely it would be nice to have some peace on your own with your husband while you eat!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

awsah wrote: »
    I got mad when she mentioned not being able to buy the cake for the birthday and that the child had specifically asked to be in Ireland or her birthday, yet they didn't come 2 weeks before the birthday so she was clearly planning on going to the shop if she was in quarantine at ger home, and perhaps have people over for dinner.

Also "they can't eat together" but they are stuck in the rooms together 24/7 surely it would be nice to have some peace on your own with your husband while you eat!
    Cooped up in a room with one adult is fine, with three small whingeing people who don't understand what's going on is not so easy. They feel they have a genuine grievance and that has coloured their thinking but that room is the pits for a 12 day "stay" and the provider could do a lot better.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Cooped up in a room with one adult is fine, with three small whingeing people who don't understand what's going on is not so easy. They feel they have a genuine grievance and that has coloured their thinking but that room is the pits for a 12 day "stay" and the provider could do a lot better.

There are two rooms though. Interconnected.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Never imagined she wouldn't be able to go out and get a birthday cake. During a pandemic, while they undergo quarantine. Really :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

funnydoggy wrote: »
    Might be whataboutery, but I have no sympathy for the family.

The homeless families living in hotel rooms for months on end, or the people in direct provision who are in worse conditions don't get a word in. Just Ryan Tubridy giving sweet, meaningless sound bites when Christmas time comes around.

Nobody gives a **** about them alright.

There are two rooms though. Interconnected.
    Yeah but they are likely to spend their time squashed together. TBH I don't think this "arrangement" allowed for the type of an eventuality.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

She must have had her head up her arse for the last 12 months if she's not aware of what's been going on here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭awsah

There are two rooms and the kids are old enough to understand whats going on they are not toddlers.
    I had to self isolate over Christmas in my room as I was a close contact, I also had to quarantine for 2 weeks when I moved home from new york last June. Its not a nice experience and I would feel sorry for them if she wanst trying to be above the law here.
    This quarantine procedure is working in the very country she came from. The numbers are not coming down we need to do something or we will be all still stuck in our homes until next year. Its literally 2 weeks for the sake of the heath of the people in Ireland. We can't make exceptions for her, then we would have to make them for anyone who wanted to have a good moan on RTE!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,300 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Yeah but they are likely to spend their time squashed together. TBH I don't think this "arrangement" allowed for the type of an eventuality.

If they are "squashed together" its likely down to the mother who couldn't even organise dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

funnydoggy wrote: »
    Might be whataboutery, but I have no sympathy for the family.

The homeless families living in hotel rooms for months on end, or the people in direct provision who are in worse conditions don't get a word in.

This family is asking for nothing, they are even paying themselves for this ****. This quarantine is a smokescreen designed to show we're on top.of things.

pjohnson wrote: »
    If they are "squashed together" its likely down to the mother who couldn't even organise dinner.
    Are we really stooping so low that we need to critique her mothering skills?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭irishgeo

The 3 whingeing are her kids. She is going to cooped up with them in the house after 2 weeks. I hope she copes ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭LilyShame

I can't understand why they would leave oz during a pandemic but I am sure they had good reason. It was poorly judged the media coverage...but....when I read everyone's comments here it reminds me how horrible and bitter so many Irish people have become. Rotten

I hope that family go back to Perth. Why would anyone want to live around Irish people Representative of you sorry lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,300 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Are we really stooping so low that we need to critique her mothering skills?

No but she waffled on about having only 4 chairs (yet there are 6 chairs in the photos), and that only her and husband can eat together. Leaving at least 2 chairs (by her count) unoccupied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

There is no way there is enough wardrobe space in those rooms for a family that size. Especially moving from one country too another. I know it’s been a while since we were in hotels, but there usually is f all space in the wardrobes.

Do they already have a house here? If so, let them quarantine in that. Why take up hotel space?

I also think they should be able to get a negative test now, another in a week and then off they go. They did a flight transfer in UAE, airside... and the origin airport in Australia was low risk.

If we make these hotels be like prisons, and ensure they are as crappy as possible, but also don’t police them, what do we think will happen? we will just end up with low compliance where people abscond. Maybe we could join the dots...

That's the families decision though on how they make use of their space. And if they are likely to spend their time squashed together, as you say, would giving them more space make any real difference?

What did this Woman expect? Hotel rooms are hotel rooms. An apartment might be a better option for families, but families are probably the minority of quarantine cases, so it's probably not worthwhile procuring these properties.

It's only 12 days too. Not as if they are stuck there for months/years. I'm sure the children are resilient enough to get over the trauma of it all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,425 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

pwurple wrote: »
    There is no way there is enough wardrobe space in those rooms for a family that size. Especially moving from one country too another. I know it’s been a while since we were in hotels, but there usually is f all space in the wardrobes.

Do they already have a house here? If so, let them quarantine in that. Why take up hotel space?

I also think they should be able to get a negative test now, another in a week and then off they go. They did a flight transfer in UAE, airside... and the origin airport in Australia was low risk.

If we make these hotels be like prisons, and ensure they are as crappy as possible, but also don’t police them, what do we think will happen? we will just end up with low compliance where people abscond. Maybe we could join the dots...

The people on the video seem to think they're not allowed put stuff in the wardrobes, or use the adjoining room.

Advertisement