Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Maps

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

retalivity wrote: »
    Map of whiskey distelleries in Ireland as of Oct 2020

cSFVe5q.png

Map of Irish whiskey distilleries (2007):

706px-Irish_whiskey_distillery_map.svg.png

Kilbeggan was built in 2007 and I think the remaining 32 were built since 2012. 11 were built in the last two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭KAGY

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

cnocbui wrote: »
    Thanks. My mother would be sad, she grew up in the Jameson's distillery when it was in Smithfield.

I used to live in an apartment in that building. My outer wall in the bedroom was about 3 feet thick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

There was a major distillery fire in Dublin in 1800's. Deaths were attributed to alcohol poisoning.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/offbeat/the-night-a-river-of-whiskey-ran-through-the-streets-of-dublin-1.2743517%3fmode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭greenbicycle

That ship tracking tool is so interesting. of course, you look at the suez canal and see the impact of the stuck ship, but that made me have a look at the panama canal, why are there so few vessels on the canal with so many waiting either side of it? it looks in a similar state in terms of congestion to the suez canal?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Irish Distillers is Jameson, distilled in Cork (no. 16 on map but no. 17 on list)

I though it was called Midleton distillery

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Peregrine wrote: »

Kilbeggan was built in 2007 and I think the remaining 32 were built since 2012. 11 were built in the last two years.

But there was always a distillery in Tullamore, wasn't there?

Edit: no it wasn't. It was made in Midleton. Q

It really shows how much trouble Irish distillers were in up until recently.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 32,993 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

New Home wrote: »

Sorry to hark back to this map, but wondering why exactly it was always presented the way it was, when it was so wrong?

Only thing I can think of, were some countries trying to inflate their importance by making themselves appear bigger? Like an ego thing?

NIMAN wrote: »
    Sorry to hark back to this map, but wondering why exactly it was always presented the way it was, when it was so wrong?

Only thing I can think of, were some countries trying to inflate their importance by making themselves appear bigger? Like an ego thing?

It's simply down to the difficulty of plotting a globe on a flat surface.

This short video explains the problem with maps quite well.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,702 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Jamesons merged with some of its rivals in the mid 1970s and became the Irish Distillers Group.

They shut operations in Dublin and moved to a new distillery in Midleton, built beside an old distillery that's now the Jameson Experience.

Interestingly (and open to correction) Jameson whiskey was never made in the Jameson Experience distillery in Midleton.
    I used to live in an apartment in that building. My outer wall in the bedroom was about 3 feet thick.

I was referring to the Jameson's distillery on Bow st Smithfield.

Probably not the building you refer to. The distillery had a house on Bow st my mother describes as attached to it. It went with the job of Chief distiller, her father, and she was born in it. She spent a good part of her childhood playing in the grounds of the distillery. She described to me a perk where the carpenters/coopers made an over engineered sled that was used on snowy slopes in Phoenix park, that was too heavy for her to manage.

This was prior to and including WW2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭Shedite27

That ship tracking tool is so interesting. of course, you look at the suez canal and see the impact of the stuck ship, but that made me have a look at the panama canal, why are there so few vessels on the canal with so many waiting either side of it? it looks in a similar state in terms of congestion to the suez canal?
    The Panama canal is a lot trickier, bunch of locks going up and down, most captains can't drive it themselves. A polit jumps on your ship at one end, drives it through, and hops off at the other end. I suspect that slows it down quite a bit.

Suez is a lot more strightforward (obvious problem noted), so people can drive through themselves.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

IIRC The Cooley distillery was only setup to be churned over. But tax rules meant they had to keep it as a going concern before they could sell it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

cnocbui wrote: »
    I was referring to the Jameson's distillery on Bow st Smithfield.

Probably not the building you refer to. The distillery had a house on Bow st my mother describes as attached to it. It went with the job of Chief distiller, her father, and she was born in it. She spent a good part of her childhood playing in the grounds of the distillery. She described to me a perk where the carpenters/coopers made an over engineered sled that was used on snowy slopes in Phoenix park, that was too heavy for her to manage.

This was prior to and including WW2.

As was I.

I lived in the distillery building on Bow St. My bedroom looked out onto Bow St.

Merely referring to the building and the massive walls as a piece of added information to yours. That's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Shedite27 wrote: »
    The Panama canal is a lot trickier, bunch of locks going up and down, most captains can't drive it themselves. A polit jumps on your ship at one end, drives it through, and hops off at the other end. I suspect that slows it down quite a bit.

Suez is a lot more strightforward (obvious problem noted), so people can drive through themselves.

in the Panama canal, the ships were/ are pulled through a very narrow part by small diesel tugs that run along a towpath.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,639 ✭✭✭✭josip

NIMAN wrote: »

Sailors like it because it represents north as up and south as down everywhere while preserving local directions and shapes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercator_projection

And sailors would have been the main users of early maps

Is there an up to date brewery one out there like that distilling one?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

josip wrote: »
    Sailors like it because it represents north as up and south as down everywhere while preserving local directions and shapes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercator_projection

And sailors would have been the main users of early maps

I recall the formula D X Long cos Mean Lat from commercial pilot exams for calculating the exact distance between two points.

LaFuton wrote: »
    hey has anyone seen that dual map of ireland showing all the rail lines 100 years ago compared to the lower amount of todays railways on the opposite panel?
    saw it on here but cant find it now :(
    El Weirdo wrote: »
    This was on Reddit yesterday...

m4z4gaj0cic41.jpg
    I've given this a much needed update. The 2020 map above is around 20 years old. The map below only includes active passenger lines.

RsRAfY8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

I've given this a much needed update. The 2020 map above is around 20 years old. The map below only includes active passenger lines.

RsRAfY8.jpg

So we've "lost" the Waterford to Rosslare line, the Tara mines branch? and it looks like one up in Northern Ireland too (going by Belfast International by the looks of it?)

Though I'm not sure the the one above is 20 years old, it does have the Ennis to Galway section which only opened in 2009.

Edit: Also see you added the Dunboybe and Midleton branches, nice catch!.

1huge1 wrote: »
    So we've "lost" the Waterford to Rosslare line, the Tara mines branch? and it looks like one up in Northern Ireland too (going by Belfast International by the looks of it?)

Though I'm not sure the the one above is 20 years old, it does have the Ennis to Galway section which only opened in 2009.

Edit: Also see you added the Dunboybe and Midleton branches, nice catch!.
    I suppose I probably should have left in the Tara mines (Drogheda-Navan) branch even if it is freight only because the original map included a lot of freight lines which are now gone. Waterford-Rosslare is technically still there but only being maintained every now and again. For now.

Waterford-New Ross
    Limerick-Foynes
    Navan-Kingscourt
    Athlone-Mullingar
    Lisburn-Antrim

were the other ones I removed. If I remember correctly, all except Waterford-Rosslare were freight at the time.

Ennis-Athenry reopened to passengers in 2009 but was open for freight until around 2000ish which is why I think it's on that map.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

I've never heard of the Waterford- New Ross branch before, was their some manufacturing plant in New Ross at one stage?
    See that its now been turned into a Greenway.
    I know there has been rumours about the Foynes Branch reopening.

Anyways, I'm going off topic with my railway obsession, very interesting, thanks Peregrine

• Registered Users Posts: 13,639 ✭✭✭✭josip

1huge1 wrote: »
    I've never heard of the Waterford- New Ross branch before, was their some manufacturing plant in New Ross at one stage?
    See that its now been turned into a Greenway.
    I know there has been rumours about the Foynes Branch reopening.

Anyways, I'm going off topic with my railway obsession, very interesting, thanks Peregrine

Albatros fertiliser factory kept the New Ross line going for many years after the passenger service stopped in the early 80s I think.
    I grew up on that railway line :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

New series

Mon, Apr 5 · 20:30-21:00 · 1. RTÉ One
    Iarnród Edna

Enda Kenny looks for pointers to the future among echoes of the past as searches for the lost railway routes of Ireland, first up is Waterford to Dungarvan. (HD, S, R)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

2019 Sustainable Development Index
    548696.JPG

from their website:
    The Sustainable Development Index (SDI) measures the ecological efficiency of human development, recognizing that development must be achieved within planetary boundaries. It was created to update the Human Development Index (HDI) for the ecological realities of the Anthropocene.

The SDI starts with each nation’s human development score (life expectancy, education and income) and divides it by their ecological overshoot: the extent to which consumption-based CO2 emissions and material footprint exceed fair shares of planetary boundaries. Countries that achieve relatively high human development while remaining within or near planetary boundaries rise to the top.

SDI results for 2019 can be found in the map and table below. While some countries score reasonably well, none reach over 0.9. Results for 1990-2019 can be found on the time series page. SDI results for 2019 can be found in the map and table below. While some countries score reasonably well, none reach over 0.9. Results for 1990-2019 can be found on the time series page. Disaggregated data can be viewed on the bubble charts page. To receive updates and new data releases as they become available, please sign up here.

The Republic of Ireland is 130th on their list :rolleyes:

https://www.sustainabledevelopmentindex.org/

RsRAfY8.jpg

That is a fcuking disgrace

That is a fcuking disgrace
    The demand isn't there, the lines they have maintained or reopened like Ennis to Galway and the line through Nenagh only has a handful of passengers a day anyway. We've all become too used to the convenience of a car.

2019 Sustainable Development Index
    The Republic of Ireland is 130th on their list :rolleyes:

https://www.sustainabledevelopmentindex.org/
    We fall down a lot at the moment with the amount of data centres we have in the country. Provide next to zero employment, and consumes huge energy.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

We fall down a lot at the moment with the amount of data centres we have in the country. Provide next to zero employment, and consumes huge energy.

They're used by pretty much every person in the country every day, and they provide lots of employment; just not by people working on-site.

The demand isn't there, the lines they have maintained or reopened like Ennis to Galway and the line through Nenagh only has a handful of passengers a day anyway. We've all become too used to the convenience of a car.
    Its nothing to do with preference for cars. The train from Nenagh is useless for commuters. It takes an hour to get to Limerick Junction or Ballybrophy (twice as long as a car) because the train goes at 25mph, and by then it's nearly 9am anyway, and you're still in Ballybrophy or on the edge of Co. Limerick.

It costs as much to run a car anyway. It's like they're trying to turn customers away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭forgottenhills

Amirani wrote: »
    They're used by pretty much every person in the country every day, and they provide lots of employment; just not by people working on-site.

Every cloud has got a silver lining?

Advertisement