Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Maps

Options

Comments

That is a fcuking disgrace

Not really, it has moved from 1920 being reliant on Trains and relatively no roads for cars to motorways and decent secondary roads including dual carriageways.

Cars are embedded into culture because of the freedoms they give. Very few people with cars would leave it behind to travel rail, apart from occasional novelty.

And you're not going to have high speed lines due to cost from Limerick to Galway to Letterkenny. We've moved on.

Alternative take:- Is this an answer to 'What have the Brits ever done for us?'

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭yagan

Another thing to remember about railways was that they were mostly private enterprises whose primary revenue was derived not from passengers but from cargo.

Buses were far more adaptable for passenger use providing a far more comprehensive service than trains.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

PolarBear%20FINAL1-final.jpg

Map of polar bear distribution

• Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Amirani wrote: »
    They're used by pretty much every person in the country every day, and they provide lots of employment; just not by people working on-site.

They should be built with solar panel rooves, with wind turbines sticking out of them (for all I know, they could be already). With the size of them, it seems like a quick win from a cost and sustainability pov.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

McGaggs wrote: »
    They should be built with solar panel rooves, with wind turbines sticking out of them (for all I know, they could be already). With the size of them, it seems like a quick win from a cost and sustainability pov.
    That would make a miniscule dent in their energy consumption.
    I work near a number of them. The roofs are currently covered with air-con units and vents.
    This is a Microsoft centre but there are many others in that area...
    https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3245085,-6.4544501,141m/data=!3m1!1e3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,321 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

After the bank bailout, wasn't there a competition, sponsored by the Govt., for the best business idea to bring new employment. Data centres was the winning idea I seem to remember. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,350 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i work for a company that runs a fairly large one.
    the backup generators to supply it run to 6MW.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,702 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Its nothing to do with preference for cars. The train from Nenagh is useless for commuters. It takes an hour to get to Limerick Junction or Ballybrophy (twice as long as a car) because the train goes at 25mph, and by then it's nearly 9am anyway, and you're still in Ballybrophy or on the edge of Co. Limerick.

It costs as much to run a car anyway. It's like they're trying to turn customers away.

Very few of the world's rail services are profitable. I don't get the love for them. Outdated victorian technology for which there are better options. You need very high population densities and passenger flows before they become a superior choice, like the London underground.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,250 ✭✭✭✭Victor

cnocbui wrote: »
    Very few of the world's rail services are profitable.
    This is on an accounting basis. Most roads are also loss making. Airlines pay a lot less tax than they should.d

On an economic basis, things shift considerably. Each train means thousands of people don't need to spend large amounts of money on cars.

Victor wrote: »
    This is on an accounting basis.

What's the cost of infrastructure plus variable costs per passenger. Roads are going to be more cost effective. Pollution is a different matter.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,149 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Aaaannyway

Map of where photos are taken in the world -

fun-maps-2-7.jpg

cdeb wrote: »
    Aaaannyway

Map of where photos are taken in the world -

fun-maps-2-7.jpg

Why would Germany be so popular?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,912 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

It's probably just based on geotag info on Flickr or wherever. Could be Germans just sitting in their houses taking photos of each-other, as opposed to people going out of their way to take photos of a particular landmark or feature.

Edit: if the map is from the sightsmap.com site as linked below, then it's based on data from a photo sharing service called Panoramio that is no longer in operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,453 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

It's about 90% also a population density map since so many photos are taken in cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭chewed

You can clearly make out Cliffs of Moher and Giant's Causeway!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

And as always, there's an xkcd for that:

heatmap_2x.png

https://xkcd.com/1138/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Strava heatmap for runners in Ireland.
    Screenshot-20210331-141544-Chrome.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭KevRossi

chewed wrote: »
    You can clearly make out Cliffs of Moher and Giant's Causeway!

You can also make out Carrick-on-Shannon, pop. 4,000. Bigger towns don't have the same brightness. This is possibly due to the amount of photos taken and uploaded of people on stags and hens. It's one of the most popular towns in Ireland for it and plenty of photos end up on social media or are shared around.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

MY BAD wrote: »
    Strava heatmap for runners in Ireland.

For completeness, here's the cycling one

fdf4ff7fe8f987a8d55f23ddea4f4b60.png0

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,350 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'd say half the brightness on the mamore gap in inishowen is just from ronan mclaughlin.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

This could be out of date.

Has anyone got the data for Kosovo?

XqT0q6kh.jpg

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

It's incorrect. What about pregnant women? Or people with two heads? :pac:

Peregrine wrote: »
    This could be out of date.

Has anyone got the data for Kosovo?

XqT0q6kh.jpg

what does this mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

bubblypop wrote: »
    what does this mean?

How many people per people :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,149 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    How many people per people :pac:

:D
    I thought I was missing something!

Wm4nkoW.png

countries by what they call Finland

not what the Finnish do anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭LarryGraham

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

bubblypop wrote: »
    Wm4nkoW.png

countries by what they call Finland

not what the Finnish do anyway!

Why is there a white line down the centre of Ireland?

Advertisement