Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rainbow Cup 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Am becoming pretty disenchanted with provincial rugby competitions. Not Awec-level enraged, but it all feels fairly meh. I was excited to bring in a competition with the SA teams, but God it feels rudderless.

I believe I read in the media that Ulster were finished anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

The real competition will be next season. Given the current Covid situation, we'll be doing well to have any games with SA sides.

I completely understand the need for TV money and all the rest of it. But I simply don't care. It's so clearly games for the sake of games. It's just a bit mince.

I believe I read in the media that Ulster were finished anyway

Nope.

I completely understand the need for TV money and all the rest of it. But I simply don't care. It's so clearly games for the sake of games. It's just a bit mince.

But you like games!

Come on, it’s going to literally revolutionise the way you enjoy sports entertainment

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

It's games for the sake of games but there's more to it. They want to integrate the SA teams into the Pro14. The Springboks need games before the Lions.

The alternative would be to continue the league which is all well and good but 90% of those games are rubbish. Connacht and Ulster can feel hard done by for missing out on a SF but that's it really.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

bayern wrote: »
    they could have just continued with the league instead of this crap.

I will take the possibility of games against the SA Super Rugby teams any day before more of the procession that was the league.

It's games for the sake of games but there's more to it. They want to integrate the SA teams into the Pro14. The Springboks need games before the Lions.

The alternative would be to continue the league which is all well and good but 90% of those games are rubbish. Connacht and Ulster can feel hard done by for missing out on a SF but that's it really.

True. I might feel more excited when I see our Rounds 4-6 fixtures.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

It's a chance to play young lads. What's wrong with seeing Ahern or McCann playing bok teams. It will also be a proving ground for academy players trying to get development contracts. Lads like Hawkshaw should get some minutes to prove themselves. I think it's a meh tournament, but it gives the coaches a chance to feature lads they normally wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommybojangles

I'm definitely excited, maybe I'm naive!
    I think it might be that the effects of the 5 months without sport last year haven't left me yet and I'm excited about everything. I even find myself waking up on Saturdays to watch Kearney play for the force

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Is this being televised on the current pro12/14 broadcasters?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,076 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Bazzo wrote: »

yes

https://www.pro14.rugby/latest/pro14/guinness-pro14-rainbow-cup-questions-answers
    Where will I be able to watch all of these games?

Right through until the last kick of the ball in the Rainbow Cup in June, fans will be able to watch it all unfold with current broadcast partners Premier Sports, eir Sport, S4C, TG4, DAZN and Super Sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭KBurke85

Bazzo wrote: »

From the statement
    PRO14 Rugby is currently consulting with our broadcast partners to select kick-off times and will confirm the scheduling as soon as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,013 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Will they be the Vodafone Bulls when they finish quarantining?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Dubinusa wrote: »
    It's a chance to play young lads. What's wrong with seeing Ahern or McCann playing bok teams. It will also be a proving ground for academy players trying to get development contracts. Lads like Hawkshaw should get some minutes to prove themselves. I think it's a meh tournament, but it gives the coaches a chance to feature lads they normally wouldn't.

I'm looking forward to seeing Ahern. I am so over Ryan Baird at this stage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 108 ✭✭Garda Kenny

I'm looking forward to seeing Ahern. I am so over Ryan Baird at this stage.

Correct

I hope Eir will carry the SA vs SA games in the first few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,756 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I hope Eir will carry the SA vs SA games in the first few weeks.

I, perhaps naively, assumed that was a given!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

They should have just called this the Money Cup.

That's the only reason for it. Change the structure of the Pro 14 mid way through the league to create this money grabbing thing.

SA teams participating in a NH tournament just doesn't work, logistics just don't work.

Be better to have a 20 teams Celtic+English league. Play every other team once with top 4 playing off.

19 game general season with promotion and relegation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,756 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Pussyhands wrote: »

That's the only reason for it. Change the structure of the Pro 14 mid way through the league to create this money grabbing thing.

"Money grabbing"?

Thhis is money that is fundamental to the existence of the professional game and money that keeps lots of people (not just players) in employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,995 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I'll be happy with a more competitive competition. My hope is that this will be a bridge to some form of Euro league.

Ah yes, the great and mighty Pro14.

It's a professional sport. Of course money is a concern.

Red card rule trial is rubbish.

If you want to get rid of dangerous play, you don't allow teams to get away with it.

There's more red cards now but players are learning. You can see it during games.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,032 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Not loving the goal line dropout in Super Rugby Aotearoa, penalising the attacking team goes against the spirit of most of the other laws. Can see it being even less popular up here given the proportion of maul tries.

The red card idea is just dangerous.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,076 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Caranica wrote: »
    Not loving the goal line dropout in Super Rugby Aotearoa, penalising the attacking team goes against the spirit of most of the other laws. Can see it being even less popular up here given the proportion of maul tries.

The red card idea is just dangerous.

I don't mind the goal line drop out to much, the attacking team invariably end up with an another attack within the 22 from it. It discourages the endless pick and jams which, to me, should be used to draw in defenders to open space out wide which should be utilised.

I also like the red card trial, but it's one I don't see being made common place. I think the stats are that a team usually concedes 7 points per yellow card so take from that that a red card will cost your team somewhere between 10-14 points.

If red cards were given for only the most egregious acts of foul play then I'd agree that there should be no leniency.... However we're seeing more and more red cards been given for acts of bad timing, clumsiness or bad technique.... So from that point of view I don't mind the 20min replacement rule.

Red card rule trial is rubbish.

If you want to get rid of dangerous play, you don't allow teams to get away with it.

There's more red cards now but players are learning. You can see it during games.

It doesn't change the fact that rugby is an entertainment business and a traditional red card can ruin games. It's worth trialling.

I think the drop out rule is a positive change. At the moment you can effectively use being held up as a form of attacking exit because you get a 5 meter scrum from it which is very often a better attacking platform than where you started from. A really good example was the second time Leinster got held up last weekend, that carry would not happen that way if this law was in place.

Now we’ll see teams having to start again from between the 22 and 10 meter line. That should reduce the amount of those kinds of situations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

sydthebeat wrote: »
    If red cards were given for only the most egregious acts of foul play then I'd agree that there should be no leniency.... However we're seeing more and more red cards been given for acts of bad timing, clumsiness or bad technique.... So from that point of view I don't mind the 20min replacement rule.

I also think it's really weird how red cards exist on a sliding scale of severity. The difference between POM committing a red card foul in the first quarter against Wales, and Russell committing a red card foul in the final ten against France is HUGE. Because the "onfield" punishment, is such a high proportion of the deterrent, I think it is disproportionate how it falls right now.

Advertisement