Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish family appeal mandatory quarantine..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

SteM wrote: »
    What tax income? The family are paying 6k for the hotel rooms.

The Army, the Gardai not to mention the months spent by the Department of Health on preparing policies, procurement, contracts, meetings etc. As we speak, the Department is in talks with the hotel concerned according to RTE news. Do you think the officials tasked with these responsibilities are doing it for free. None of that money grows on trees. Time and money that could be spent on more pressing health issues, there is no way this policy was cost neutral.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

maxsmum wrote: »
    Jeez, everyone here is just choosing what they think are harsher ways they've suffered in lockdown. Everyone's suffered. I feel really sorry for her. I think it's sad nobody else does.

She has 2 rooms in a 4 star hotel, you'd swear with the big whingefest in the article they asked them to stay in a tent in the car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭SteM

The Army, the Gardai not to mention the months spent by the Department of Health on preparing policies, procurement, contracts, meetings etc. As we speak, the Department is in talks with the hotel concerned according to RTE news. Do you think the officials tasked with these responsibilities are doing it for free. None of that money grows on trees. Time and money that could be spent on more pressing health issues, there is no way this policy was cost neutral.

All staff that would be working and getting paid anyway. They haven't employed any extra staff for this, in fact the hotel staff that wouldn't be working but would be on pup are actually back in the workforce paying income tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,864 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Tbh instead of whining she should be ashamed of herself and her family with the state they have the room in, bags and suitcases all over the place. I'm sure the room has a wardrobe, desk with drawers and bedside locker, use them, it's what they're for. Absolutely no sympathy for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

maxsmum wrote: »
    Jeez, everyone here is just choosing what they think are harsher ways they've suffered in lockdown. Everyone's suffered. I feel really sorry for her. I think it's sad nobody else does.

She is just not genuine.
    "There is no space so we put our delivered lunches on the floor". Moments later the camera pans to a sideboard and a desk, they could easily keep those lunches on either of them.

The kindest thing I can say is that she may have had a bad case of jetlag brain fog and she'll regret that journalist call when she calms down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,064 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Acosta wrote: »
    Yeah. Provided you forget about that open border we have with another country up the road.

TBF I think the whole of Europe should have done it for maximum effect, but we couldn't even try to do anything about the border while we were welcoming people from hotspots around the world.

If Northern Ireland had been the only leaky spot the guards could have done spot checks and stuff in Donegal, Drogheda and so on. I travelled for family reasons (when we were allowed) and scrupulously respected the self quarantine advice, but nobody checked up on us, not even a phone call.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Comes across entitled, narcissistic and completely tone deaf in that article. She's probably part of the 50% of health care workers who dont get the annual flu jab.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭appledrop

Girly Gal wrote: »
    Tbh instead of whining she should be ashamed of herself and her family with the state they have the room in, bags and suitcases all over the place. I'm sure the room has a wardrobe, desk with drawers and bedside locker, use them, it's what they're for. Absolutely no sympathy for them.

Yep look at Irish Times video. She opens up empty wardrobes!!!!

First thing I do when I go away is unpack the suitcases, maybe she should try it.

They also have a second room which most of media of course don't show as doesn't suit there sensationalist headline.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭tjhook

I've tried to be devil's advocate. The mother isn't objecting to quarantine, she's looking for accommodation that's more suitable for a family. I can see how an apartment would be more pleasant in that situation. And if the family is paying for their own quarantine anyway, could it be arranged?

I can see a few problems. In an apartment (without kitchen/waiting staff), regular food shopping (and other services) would be needed. How would it be managed? An apartment wouldn't suit everybody, so hotels would still be needed. And I doubt there are entire empty apartment buildings around waiting to be used by this scheme - we'd wind up with people scattered in apartments all around the city/county/country. Difficult to manage and guard, and probably lots of separate owners to deal with.

Isolating at home would be perfectly acceptable, but what we've seen is that unfortunately people generally can't be trusted to do what's required. Just look at the 3 people absconding in the first weekend of this scheme.

So after trying to be objective, I have some sympathy for a family in this situation, but I can't see alternative arrangements being feasible. And I really don't like the mother's entitled attitude and histrionics.

Edit Just to add, I would guess the outcome will be "special treatment" for this family, because of their complaining and media exposure. They will probably end up somewhere they find more suitable. That's how the country is generally run - the squeaky wheel gets the oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

SteM wrote: »
    All staff that would be working and getting paid anyway. They haven't employed any extra staff for this, in fact the hotel staff that wouldn't be working but would be on pup are actually back in the workforce paying income tax.

That's not how it works on the public sector, other health priorities would have been put on the back burner to make staff available to work on operation quarantine. Perhaps you have worked in public procurement, well if you haven't, it eats into time and staffing resources. For the minimal staff working in the hotel, it's great to see a handful of staff back in gainful employment, but not on these terms, there is no way their income tax will even cover the Gardai pay who have gone after the three lads who legged it earlier today, nevermind the paperwork involved in issuing fines, warrants for non-payment, possible court appearances etc.

In my view I think it's a disgraceful waste of money and we will all have to pay the bill at the end if it.

• Advertisement

She is in for a shock when she has to work 12 hours in hospital in full PPE gear which will be hot,uncomfortable and very hard to work in.

Will she complain on news about that aswell?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

appledrop wrote: »
    She is in for a shock when she has to work 12 hours in hospital in full PPE gear which will be hot,uncomfortable and very hard to work in.

Will she complain on news about that aswell?

She probably wouldn't last Christmas peak in retail ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭brucky

No sympathy for this staged ham performance. She is letting her profession down. My wife would never let me stay in bed while the national media are invited in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

sporina wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/irish-family-shocked-by-appalling-conditions-in-hotel-quarantine-1.4522076

Think its v tough - shame they can't just go to their home and quarantine there.. v tough

It's a shame the state of the rooms for sure.. Feel sorry for anyone who will have to clean the rooms after they leave.

Nothing more to say, after reading previous posts here. All was said already. Another pointless moaning absolutely out of touch with reality.

Tjhook, of course apt would be more comfortable but whole point of forced quarantine is so we can be absolutely sure that people don't pop to shops, go out etc.

This family already let it slip out that they wanted to celebrate their child's birthday in Ireland this week!

Safer for us all that it is forced quarantine.

I very much doubt the flights couldnt have been changed for less than the €6000 hotel fee
    For free in fact as quarantine is a travel restriction
    Most airlines for the last year have had fully flex policies for covid

Some people are just THICK

Heres Emirates current policy

https://www.emirates.com/ie/english/help/covid-19/ticket-options/

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭tjhook

Tjhook, of course apt would be more comfortable but whole point of forced quarantine is so we can be absolutely sure that people don't pop to shops, go out etc.

Agree completely, that's why I concluded "I can't see alternative arrangements being feasible".

I'd be open to minor alterations the the scheme to reduce discomfort, but not alterations that reduce its effectiveness, or add significant expense/complexity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,685 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

I don't have anything good to say about her, i'll leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,613 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    They flew through Dubai . Why ? They could have taken a different route

Yes why Dubai?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

They can absolutely get f*cked.

My auld lad is on the way out from the big C.

I haven’t seen him since December 27th.

She’s in a hotel room....seriously...it’s a f*cking slap she needs.

I’ll gladly accept any ban that’s incoming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,113 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Could you go to one of the walk in testing centres and get a test and if negative go see your dad ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Girly Gal wrote: »

The Irish Times site has a film of the rooms cluttered with suitcases full of clothes and paper bags taking up most of the floor space. It also shows the completely empty wardrobes. Absolutely witless people.

Just go see your dad. You're allowed to. Take precautions but just go

I'm so sorry your going through this its so hard.

Surely on compassionate grounds you should be allowed see him.

Are you near anywhere that you can get one of the private Covid tests?

I know a few people who got these before seeing older relatives at Christmas to put their mind ar ease.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,298 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Why leave Australia now?

I don't get it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,826 ✭✭✭sporina

Q did they know about the mandatory quarantine situation before they departed or was it only announced during their journey?

In any event, I still think its v harsh - like if they cud do the same at home in their own house then why not.. the poor kids.. I just hope they all get along..

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Could you go to one of the walk in testing centres and get a test and if negative go see your dad ?

You have to live within 5km of these centres to get a test. They are only for the local population.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,113 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

You have to live within 5km of these centres to get a test. They are only for the local population.

Yes . Perhaps the poster is close by or a private test maybe ?

lawred2 wrote: »
    Why leave Australia now?

I don't get it

Good point, why would you leave one of best countries in world right now in terms of Covid to come to one with one of longest restrictions in the world.

• Advertisement

sporina wrote: »
    Q did they know about the mandatory quarantine situation before they departed or was it only announced during their journey?

In any event, I still think its v harsh - like if they cud do the same at home in their own house then why not.. the poor kids.. I just hope they all get along..

They flew out of a country that has been using stricter quarantine hotels for months - for all their returning citizens as well as non-citizens.

Advertisement